I have one question - is it any possibility to integrate batteries box in rear part of chassis for better weight distribution? Otherwise it looks like moc is made for "Lego standards"

35 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I have one question - is it any possibility to integrate batteries box in rear part of chassis for better weight distribution? Otherwise it looks like moc is made for "Lego standards"

Honestly, I kinda want it to fit "Lego Standards" :laugh:

I generally consider weight distribution for RC MOCs that simply need the battery box flipped on - in fact, I seldom use the AA battery box on RC MOCs but instead use the rechargeable battery. It's smaller, lighter, and is rechargeable of course. 

But here since the gearbox switches between functions instead of directions, I want the battery box at a convenient location so it can be flipped easily. 

I understand...my situation is determined by fact that rechargeable batteries box is simply to expensive for me, so I have constant brain storming how to make proper weight distribution. Looking forward to see how you will make long nose cab :wink:

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

I understand...my situation is determined by fact that rechargeable batteries box is simply to expensive for me, so I have constant brain storming how to make proper weight distribution. Looking forward to see how you will make long nose cab :wink:

True. It is quite expensive and I hesitated from getting it until last fall. 

Finished chassis should be coming in the next update. The entire steering mechanism and fake engine should all be in place by then.

7 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Finished chassis should be coming in the next update. The entire steering mechanism and fake engine should all be in place by then.

Nice

UPDATE 8/31/18

Well not everything has gone as planned. As I got into building the front section of the chassis I got into a ton of issues - mainly structural. The steering linkages were a major issue - the space they took up meant no room for vertical reinforcement in that entire area. I've put so many things in there that the entire design became too troublesome to continue working with, so I decided to just chill out and take a step back.

I've realized this entire time that this model is just begging to be built into a cab-over. With the current proportions building it into a longnose just does not seem right. The looks of it right now seem to best fit trucks such as the Volvo FM, which gives me a change of ideas: Instead of a red US-style truck I will be modeling the Volvo FM 13, probably in yellow since I have a good amount of yellow System pieces from the Caterham set. Such a design seems to work much better with what I've got so far.

As for what I've done in this update, most of it's enhancements to what I already have. I know not everyone is a fan of stickers, but I kinda got carried away here and added various stickers to it. I've upgraded the rear wheel arches with System pieces, which look more realistic and follows the recent trend with Technic increasingly using System pieces. I also added whatever those side things are - the pairs of black beams attached to the sides of the chassis. I modified the outriggers' linkage a bit to make them extend farther and fold up nicer. Last but not least, a pretty small feature I added is a chain that prevents the rear gate from opening too far (and subsequently flipping over into the dump bed).

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know :classic:

Photos:

SThGXFf.jpg

hnb2KfK.jpg

Iq7MXIb.jpg

jrDQBZ6.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 9/8/18

The MOC is about 85% complete. The only thing I have left to do now is the cab, so this will be the last update before I publish the MOC. Since the previous update the rest of the chassis has been finished, with battery box, steering system, and fake engine all in place. I've also modified the boom a bit - I've changed the angle of the mini LA controlling the second part of the boom so that its maximum angle is 180 degrees. I've also added rubber grips to the claw, since large objects often slip out.

I have to say, though, that the building process between now and the last update was overwhelmingly discouraging. Even as I tried to make the chassis as reinforced as possible it still bends. It's not too noticeable but it made it very hard for me to stay motivated on the build. I also had a hard time bracing the battery box and routing the steering mechanism around it. The I6 engine takes up a lot of space, extending beneath the battery box which meant the vertical axle for the HoG steering has to work off center. The final steering mechanism is linkage-based, with two links working in opposite directions to steer the wheels. There's still a beam which connects the wheel hubs to ensure the wheels remain parallel at all times. HoG steering is controlled by turning the warning beacon.

I originally used a I6 instead of a straight-4 because I planned to make the cab a Volvo FM. However, since I'm starting to get busy with school and college apps I'm taking a step back on this project. I'll just make a simple cab that can be tilted to expose the engine. I also changed the name of the project to "Grapple Truck I6" referencing the engine, as simply calling it "Grapple Truck" seems kinda boring to me :laugh:

I plan to get it finished and filmed this month as next month I will be moving. After this MOC I will focus mainly on smaller projects until next year, as I do not have as much free time anymore. If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know :classic:

Photos:

qO8iTFI.jpg

tjvhaih.jpg

r07tlNA.jpg

TI9Bmwp.jpg

n9eiSnB.jpg

1t9WNat.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

It is slowly taking shape, but so far it looks OK :thumbup:

Yup! The aesthetic of this MOC may not be the best, but all the functions work phenomenally and I expect it to be a very playable MOC.

UPDATE 9/15/18

The Grapple Truck I6 has been completed! It was mostly a plan-as-you-build MOC, but in the end everything combined nicely and the functions are phenomenal.

There were definitely some "rough patches" in the building process, especially as I was creating front section of the chassis where I was trying to get the steering to work smoothly and reduce bending on the chassis. At that point I basically came to the "just get this over with" stage, but as I finished everything off the bending became less noticeable.

The highlight of this project is the functions - all motorized and manual functions work very smoothly and make the MOC very playable. I will try to get it filmed and uploaded in the coming weeks. Meanwhile, you can check out photos of the finished project on my Flickr.

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

You know the photos didn't appear right?

Yeah, I wasn’t intending to put them here. I’m waiting till I make the MOC topic and I’ll have them embedded in there.

I took the pictures today so I decided to upload them now rather than wait till the MOC topic.

3 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Not bad just sunshield looks to big

Yeah I kinda BS the cab. The functions are really nice though, so good playability. 

Also the rear dump mechanism can handle extreme loads with no problem. In the upcoming video I might even do a gym scene with weights tests if I can :laugh:

Edited by JLiu15

32 minutes ago, JLiu15 said:

Yeah I kinda BS the cab. The functions are really nice though, so good playability. 

I agree.

27 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

Where is the link then, because it isn't here?

Perhaps I can help you with this link

Grapple Truck I6

3 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Where is the link then, because it isn't here?

You could have clicked on one of my WIP pics and that would have taken you to my Flickr...

I also have all my links in the description of all my recent YouTube videos, so I don’t think I have to link it here again.

Edited by JLiu15