Sign in to follow this  
Akkhraziel

Megabloks Pyrates and Pirates of the Caribbean Sets

does LEGO have it in them to produce such a theme or have they lost the knack?

Good question phes... hopefully we will find out soon...

Life is Good.

While I agree that Pyrates Line, as well as the other brands that are currently offering pirate style sets, are not up to the quality of Lego sets, unfortunately, as the success of those competitors indicates, that quality is not important to all people.

Which is to say, better quality does not equal better sales.

To put it another way, coming from the angle that Lego has been in some financial difficulty as of late, that means their next business moves must be rock solid. Now, I'll admit I do not know the full financial state of TLC, but concurrent conversations taking place across many user groups seem to indicate that Lego has had some financial stuggles here and there.

Taking that as a distinct possibility, as all toy makers have had it rough over the last couple of years, then releasing a product that has multiple direct competitors at lower price points is *not* the smartest of business moves. Not the least of which is the fact that in someways Lego would have just been competing with itself with the 4+ line.

Remember: You are a discerning Lego collector. Parents and grandparents wanting to get something for their kids, and to be frank, the lowest common denominator that is John Q. Public (at least in the US) won't necessarily take the time to noctice that the building set with studs on the top is actually LEgo as opposed to some other brand. As Ed commented, the LEgo shelves in some parts of the US are shrinking and more shelf space being given to Megablocks. This is generally becasue Megablocks products are cheaper and move more units. Are they the same quality ? No. But retailers only care about getting their hands on money, and most parents (especially in the US) are only interested in getting a good value for their dollar.

This above scenario has already played out with another toy brand, Wal-Mart, and its generic competitor. The result: The original, better quality line is moving to be sold only on the internet through select retailers and through the direct website of the maker.

Note, the above is not always true. We've seen that Ed is discerning about what he brings home for his daughter to play with.

But, if operating with the notion that Lego has to make solid, perfect business plans, then the route to better profit lies where there is little to no competition. In that way, there is no confusion, and no one settling for a lesser product becasue its a bit cheaper. It would be on lego, then to make something truly memorable and created its own niche, hopefully without licensing.

Again, Remember: Just becasue you know what the difference between Lego and the others, it does not mean that everyone else does. Its one of the major reasons Lego fought all of those lawsuits with the other companies, Megablocks included: they knew that there would be brand confusion with peoplle buying construction sets becasuse they looked like Lego's.

It's less a matter of if the Lego Pirates would sell all right, than if they would sell *well*. Breaking even or up to par is not the goal of any corporation. Profit, Allmighty Dollah, Easy Credit...those are the things that a company thrives on.

Anyway...I've probably rambled for a long time again.

Akkh

If this old news to the pirate fans, please disregard. I don't post frequently to pirates.

I was at my local TRU today and saw a large display of Pirates Of the Caribbean toys, and to my surprise, I saw none other than Mega Blocks. Mega Blocks has jumped on the license and have a series of Pirates of the Caribbean sets. Lego blew it again!

In the Lego aisle was lots of SpongeBob, Avatar, and Exo-Force! :mad:

Yah we know..Its too bad but maybe it will pesue (Is that how u spell it?) them--->LEGO to make pirates of there own.

Lego blew it again!

The Pirates of the Carribean would have been nice. :dry:

Yah we know..Its too bad but maybe it will pesue (Is that how u spell it?) them--->LEGO to make pirates of there own.

What ever happened to the Lego pirate line?

I always thought pirates were pretty popular?

I'm hoping Lego will come out with something to compete against Megablok's pirate line.

If this old news to the pirate fans, please disregard. I don't post frequently to pirates.

Yes, definitely old news! We've seen the likes of these sets before, but it doesn't matter because this is the Pirate LEGO forum and here we can make old news become new news. I think I explained how that works well enough in another of your threads Brickster.

Anyway, lets give this new thread a more personal touch to distinguish it from the other. Like say who has actually SEEN these sets in their local toy store(s)?

I was at my local TRU today and saw a large display of Pirates Of the Caribbean toys, and to my surprise, I saw none other than Mega Blocks. Mega Blocks has jumped on the license and have a series of Pirates of the Caribbean sets. Lego blew it again!

Did you happen to notice which Pirate of the Caribbean Mega Bloks sets were on sale here? Was it all the sets or just a select few?

I've experienced the Mega Bloks Pyrate sets first hand and I must confess the bricks are definitely not lacking in quality. However, the figures and the accessories however are a bit tacky, no where good as LEGO mini-figures.

My impression of the Mega Blok Pyrates is a product with the same design potential as the 4+ LEGO Pirate theme however the pieces are far more detailed.

I'm thinking of maybe buying some

You might be better off looking on Bricklink or ebay for some classic Lego pirate sets & parts.

They're aren't too expensive.

I personally, would never give in to megabloks!

Mr Tole, I'd recommend eBay for complete sets as BrickLink is too expesnive. Well in my opinion anyway, because I've managed to get far better deals off eBay than I have on BrickLink.

But if you want to get into the wonderful world of MOCing then BrickLink is great for getting parts, especially generic pieces. Occassionally there's a great eBay auction full of rare parts at a good price, but BrickLink is better for getting what you want, when you want.

Did you happen to notice which Pirate of the Caribbean Mega Bloks sets were on sale here? Was it all the sets or just a select few?

Point Royal which I would say is a mid-sized set. I thought I had noticed more than this set, but after returning to the store a second time, this is the only set I saw. All I could say is Lego really blew it by not getting on this license.

In fact, after looking at all the toys relating to this movie (action figures, scenes, games, etc.), I was very surprised becuase they all looked bad. Not a good line of toys at all. I've seen a lot better with other movies. This has to be one of the worst collection of toys I've seen in a long time (relating to a movie).

Mr Tole why would it mean that skeletons with the ability to attach themselves to normal mini-figure limbs? You're just assuming that The LEGO Company would venture down this path but you could well be wrong. I think this is more a wish of yours, however I think its a good wish because if The LEGO Company was releasing a crew of undead pirates I'd prefer them to be unique and customisable.

Point Royal which I would say is a mid-sized set. I thought I had noticed more than this set, but after returning to the store a second time, this is the only set I saw. All I could say is Lego really blew it by not getting on this license.

In fact, after looking at all the toys relating to this movie (action figures, scenes, games, etc.), I was very surprised becuase they all looked bad. Not a good line of toys at all. I've seen a lot better with other movies. This has to be one of the worst collection of toys I've seen in a long time (relating to a movie).

Is there pictures of any of this because I am curious to their appearances.

Is there pictures of any of this because I am curious to their appearances.

Since these pistures are two twisted and hideous to post directly on the forum I shall give you this hyperlink.

Oh god, they have Pokemons sets too. :-X

These and all MB are starting to look more like Playmobil than LEGO. They barely even look like LEGO anymore.

No real loss other than the lack of pirate sets in general.

I would rather buy douplo pirates than MB sets. They seem to have a similar aesthetic style, but at least Douplo has good quality plastic.

I know most of you say that Mega Bloks sucks but Once you see what mega bloks will have in store with there pirate line over these years i think lego may want to bring Pirates back Huzzah!

Anyway here its from the US Toyfair it actually looks pretty good to me.

http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?nam...ticle&sid=14138

Its your opinion to but I think i may get that Since i have the Black Pearl and dread eyes phantom.

Since I make my BSB win all the time :)

Anywho just wanted to say *y*

Mega Bloks suck! :-X

I would never resort to buying mega bloks if lego didn't end up making a pirate line. My eternal hatred for it burns. It BURNS! ;-)

Let's just hope TLC comes through! ;-)