Sign in to follow this  
NeoSephiroth

[MOC] Intercity Rheingold

Hey everyone.

I wanted to show you one of my own train creations, the Intercity Rheingold from Germany. It's an iconic train from 1970.
Hope you all like it.

Please check out the Lego Ideas page and support this wonderfull train if you like it. Thank you! ^^
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/f439453c-ecee-4c44-a5de-8c010a3dda56

icrheingoldrdep6.jpg

ice103closedardzb.jpgice103open7ifi9.jpgicwagonclosed0qctr.jpgicwagonopene3dhs.jpg
icpanoramawagonclosedfzd9j.jpgicpanoramawagonopencvez3.jpgicbistrowagoncloseddrd35.jpgicbistrowagonopen09cby.jpg

Update:

dsc_0001atkqj.jpgdsc_000247ktk.jpgdsc_0003e2ky6.jpgdsc_0004z4jvs.jpgdsc_0005f5kti.jpg

ic_completemzkwg.jpge103ics3kp4.jpgwagonic84jwt.jpgpanoramawagonich1jql.jpgbistrowagonic9ojbf.jpg

Edited by NeoSephiroth

Can you also build it for real? LEGO Trains don't often make it at Ideas and it would be nice to see it realized anyways :)

I would if I had the money right now. If I build it from Bricklink parts, it would be around 500€ without shipping costs. Too expensive for me right now and some parts are not existing in those colors.
That's why I posted it on Ideas, to get a chance to get it from Lego cheaper directly.

But yeah, somehow everyone wants trains, but not the people that are active on the Ideas site. So, chance is little but that's how it is.

Edited by NeoSephiroth

You've captured it beautifully, and the builds aren't overly complicated while still getting the feel right.  Nicely done!  I'd love to see something like this actually get into production...

4 minutes ago, deraven said:

You've captured it beautifully, and the builds aren't overly complicated while still getting the feel right.  Nicely done!  I'd love to see something like this actually get into production...

LEGO already did produce it, it was the 7740.

29 minutes ago, JopieK said:

LEGO already did produce it, it was the 7740.

Jep they did. But I think my "updated" version is a lot better / accurate in shape and color.^^ I mean, 7740 was from the 80's, so for that time it was a really good model and I still love it.

Thank you guys for your support.^^

Edited by NeoSephiroth

1 hour ago, NeoSephiroth said:

Jep they did. But I think my "updated" version is a lot better / accurate in shape and color.^^ I mean, 7740 was from the 80's, so for that time it was a really good model and I still love it.

Thank you guys for your support.^^

I totally agree, but that is the think with LEGO except from a few expert set that make it as straight-forward as possible. The Santa Fe serie was an exception, so were some trains like the HE, Emerald Night and Maersk, but apart from that... our only option is often to MOC. That is indeed expensive, but part of the fun is trying to pull it off and gathering parts one by one I think.

I really, really like this MOC. Mostly, because it would fit in very well with the line of creator expert trains we've had, but also with the current city theme. It's not overly complicated and reminds my in many ways of the 7740 and later metroliner. Those were cool trains because they offered great resemblance to a prototype, w/o being overly complicated.

Yes, I know LEGO is a child's toy (when it comes to trains, that is), but this is something they could design and sell at a fair price. It has more play-value to it with the opening doors and panoramic roof and can be sold at a fair price with an oval track lay-out and basic platform.

A couple of years ago, I acquired this beautiful TEE Rheingold MOC from Selander who built it. This version is equipped with two 9V engines 

I just love TEE trains and this is one of my favourites. Well done, Selander!

45376889312_607435c571_c.jpg

30488141027_eef7280307_c.jpg

Edited by Haddock51

A fellow Danish LUG-member Lars Mogensen already tried this on LEGO Ideas two years ago getting 2018 votes before deadline whixh is not that bad for a trainset. Still, best of luck to you, you could not have picked a nicer train :thumbup:

1900183-o_19kf1ti3argb1r1m1mkv1a2p19p17-

TEE_Togsaet.jpg

Link to LEGO Ideas

Link to our Danish LUG site with pictures of the whole trainset

Edited by dtomsen

This is an awesome design, yet simple and small enough to blend well with existing Lego trains. It is a perfect successor for 7740 and the Horizon Express and deserves to become a product. Let's support it!

Edited by legotownlinz

Hey everyone, thank you for all your positive support!

I made an update to the design and finaly bought the parts for the E103 locomotive. (Yes, only for the E103...did cost me around 150€ with 9V motor, LED lights and a modern batterie box.) Bricklink is nice, but a pain in the megablocks when it comes to parts with rare colors. And those shipping costs are hell if you have to buy the parts from 7 different shops. >.<

So, I will post some new pictures when the parts are here. Please tell me if you like to have pictures from the build process or only from the finished model.^^

14 hours ago, NeoSephiroth said:

So, I will post some new pictures when the parts are here. Please tell me if you like to have pictures from the build process or only from the finished model.^^

Your call, it is always nice to see "in process" photos, but it is also neat to just be floored by a beautiful build straight out of the gate.

Finally, most parts are here. Let's go...^^

dsc_0003csi7h.jpg

First part of the build (some parts are still not here)

dsc_00033wf4r.jpg dsc_0004hrdh2.jpg dsc_0005a4ems.jpg dsc_00060siwn.jpg dsc_0007c1d9p.jpg dsc_0008nmcr1.jpg dsc_0009tufbo.jpg dsc_0010ptco0.jpg dsc_0011jziub.jpg dsc_0012xviki.jpg

And almost done! Pantographs are still missing, same as two 1x6 dark red bricks and two 1x2 dark red plates. Edit: Oh, and the round technik connectors in black on the lower sides.

I'm really proud of the result. Only thing I don't like but cannot change are the black 3L bars and the black droid arms....they should be red but they don't exist in red. <.<

Also I did some prints of the DB logo as well as the 103 number.

dsc_0003tyi9r.jpg dsc_0004v3e7c.jpg

Edited by NeoSephiroth

Thanks for sharing the build with us. Just a tought, why not stick to two axle bogies? Now it just seems silly to have a 2 axle and a 3 axle. I know the prototype had 3 axles, but still... Give it a go and see what you like best.

Very nice build - and what a wonderful train!

I've seen a complete original Rheingold train leaving Dortmund Central Station on one morning last month.
Seemed as someone made me a surprising X-mas present...

Xris

@*thomas* Good idea, but I would need to use 2 motors then, because a two axle bogie with normal train axles is not looking so good. Maybe I consider it when getting my hands on another 9V motor in good condition.^^

@Xris Thank you.^^ You're really blessed to see such a train nowadays. The last complete Rheingold I saw was in my childhood 30 years ago.=P

you dont have to use 2 9v train motors you could also use an pf train motor and a pf extention cable if you want extra tourque

XGBC

Ok, all Parts are here and I've taken some nice photos from the final model, as well as some rendering pics showing how the train should look like in brandnew condition with all parts in their right colors.I hope you like it.^^

dsc_0001atkqj.jpgdsc_000247ktk.jpgdsc_0003e2ky6.jpgdsc_0004z4jvs.jpgdsc_0005f5kti.jpg

ic_completemzkwg.jpge103ics3kp4.jpgwagonic84jwt.jpgpanoramawagonich1jql.jpgbistrowagonic9ojbf.jpg