droomangroup

[MOC] Hagrid Brickheadz

Got all the Harry Potter Brickheadz and decided I really needed a Hagrid, so I whipped one up.

Here's the LDD if anyone is interested... http://odometer.org/misc/hagrid.lxf.zip

some of the construction is a bit unconventional due to the limited availability of dark brown parts, but if you use different colors you can change it up a bit. I like the dark brown, but I think the nougat color could work too.  Also anything red in the LDD can be any color.

-drew 

0I8FVfLl.jpg

4d9N4pcl.jpg

8QBo5Ftl.jpg

6BDRLLVl.jpg

TbmbF4Il.jpg

Damn, that's genius! Hagrid's head is spot on, and I love his belt buckle.
Only suggestion I'd make is perhaps a bit wider torso, to give him the more bulky appearance?

Great job nonetheless, love it!

Regards,
Mitch

I think he looks perfect! Almost like an official set would (they'd probably have a printed part for the shirt but I think your solution is wonderful! definitely more clever) I think his shoulders make him look suitably wide and the belt detail really sells it!

nice job! the belt buckle is genius, and the beard is wonderful. the shirt is great as well. 

I like the dark brown coat, it is perfect. I could see a dark nougat for a spring or summer coat, though. you should do a fang or a norbert(a) to go with it... :P

On 7/21/2018 at 5:05 AM, CF Mitch said:

Damn, that's genius! Hagrid's head is spot on, and I love his belt buckle.
Only suggestion I'd make is perhaps a bit wider torso, to give him the more bulky appearance?

Great job nonetheless, love it!

Regards,
Mitch

yeah, i actually started it wider. It was more like Hagrid scale, but I felt it was out of scale for a brickheadz build, know what I mean? I think the end result is a good balance between the two, but yah, it could go either way I suppose.

22 hours ago, meepinater said:

nice job! the belt buckle is genius, and the beard is wonderful. the shirt is great as well. 

I like the dark brown coat, it is perfect. I could see a dark nougat for a spring or summer coat, though. you should do a fang or a norbert(a) to go with it... :P

Thanks :) I agree on the nougat and almost went that way as well. I just had more of the dark brown and knew i could get more more easily than the nougat.

When I got the idea to do it I knew getting frontal details would be hard since they usually rely on printed bricks. but I wanted to keep it simple. It was fun though as I had never tried that inverted cheese slope trick and even though I found a pic of the basic technique, I had to cook up my own way to attach the hinge plate to something and I'm pretty happy with what I came up with. The other big challenge was getting the middle top hair section attached, but different from the outer bits of hair. I used the 2x2 round tile with a hole in it and the  2x2 jumper to flip stud direction to allow for a bracket to attach to it. the rear bit of hair attaches at the bottom and the blue brick in the cutaway below just fits snug in there by the bracket, but it's not attached there. Still it's very solid once it's together. Here's a cutaway view, showing some of the tricks...

rr52t8ll.png

Edited by droomangroup

4 hours ago, droomangroup said:

yeah, i actually started it wider. It was more like Hagrid scale, but I felt it was out of scale for a brickheadz build, know what I mean? I think the end result is a good balance between the two, but yah, it could go either way I suppose.

Thanks :) I agree on the nougat and almost went that way as well. I just had more of the dark brown and knew i could get more more easily than the nougat.

when i got the idea to do it I knew getting frontal details would be hard since they usually rely on printed bricks. but I wanted to keep it simple. I was fun though as I had never tried that inverted cheese slope trick and even though I found a pic of them inverted with the thin hinge plate, I had to cook up my own way to attach the hinge plate to something and I'm pretty happy with what I came up with. The other big challenge was getting the middle top hair section attached, but different from the outer bits of hair. I used the 2x2 round tile with a hole in it and the  2x2 jumper to flip stud direction to allow for a bracket to attach to it. the rear bit of hair attaches at the bottom and the blue brick in the pick just fits snug in there by the bracket, but it's not attached there. Still it's very solid once it's together. Here's a cutaway view, showing some of the tricks...

rr52t8ll.png

that is awesome. now that i am looking at the inside...

you, sir, are GENIUS! that is some amazing brick work there. it helps that it is in LDD as well... no illegal connections. 

4 hours ago, meepinater said:

that is awesome. now that i am looking at the inside...

you, sir, are GENIUS! that is some amazing brick work there. it helps that it is in LDD as well... no illegal connections. 

ha, thx. it's funny you say that about illegal connections and LDD. For the head section I first tried to use the same brackets back to back to swap the stud direction and LDD said it was all well and good, but when i tried it out, it turned out to be clearly not good. It was a shame too, because it was the perfect solution for my problem. 

AiYAdzKl.jpg

Having dabbled a little bit with the Go Brick Me set, that internal cross-section is all the more impressive because it really is quite a challenge to get all of the geometry to match up when it comes to hair. It's almost a shame that you can't tell with the final result how complex it is, but then again that's the beauty of it!

Your Hagrid is just too cute and perfect that I had to put him on the frontpage.

2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Having dabbled a little bit with the Go Brick Me set, that internal cross-section is all the more impressive because it really is quite a challenge to get all of the geometry to match up when it comes to hair. It's almost a shame that you can't tell with the final result how complex it is, but then again that's the beauty of it!

Your Hagrid is just too cute and perfect that I had to put him on the frontpage.

ha, thanks for the homepage glory! :)

22 hours ago, droomangroup said:

Ah, yes, I get what you mean.

Like I said, it's an awesome build anyway!

Regards,
Mitch

Edited by CF Mitch

This is a brilliant build! I love the details and the size. I hope TLG will ever release a Hagrid Brickheadz of this quality!

Already mentioned by others - but I have to say it again: the use of the bucket handle as belt buckle is genius!

21 hours ago, essel said:

This is a brilliant build! I love the details and the size. I hope TLG will ever release a Hagrid Brickheadz of this quality!

Thanks! High praise indeed!

9 hours ago, cubo said:

Already mentioned by others - but I have to say it again: the use of the bucket handle as belt buckle is genius!

Ha, thanks. It was one of the first things I thought of. When i looked at some pics of Hagrid I tried to reduce his look to key elements and the buckle stood out. Then I thought how could I make the buckle and quickly got the idea for the handle, after that I had to finish the design and build it because I really wanted to see the bucket handle belt buckle in action :)

That picture of Hagrids internals is amazing. It’s almost a travesty that the finished model gives no clue as to the work that went into creating the complexity beneath.

On 8/22/2018 at 1:56 PM, LegoSims20 said:

Looks fantastic, but would they ever make a large one?

you're not wrong considering thanos and hulk aren't bigger than normal, but for myself it would just be weird to have a hagrid that was the same height as harry and dumbledore. That said I wouldn't be surprised if they made one and it was a touch taller than average, i mean they make shorter ones, why not a one a tiny bit taller? 

On 9/3/2020 at 11:40 AM, Dragunov2 said:

I have the official one, but this one is spot on!

thanks, yeah i mean i'm biased, but i like mine more, the official one has too much forehead, and the hair is kinda weak :D