Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[COR-S] WTC Destroying Angel

Type: Class 8 Ship

43492142882_49975b02b4_z.jpgDestroying Angel by North White, on Flickr

Having been launched, the WTC's largest ship, the Destroying Angel now floated majestically in the harbour of Mesabi Landing.

42634569075_9d30bed43b_z.jpgDestroying Angel by North White, on Flickr

Agnes and the Ship's Designer walked along the deck, discussing the mighty vessel. 

42634568945_292067c0b5_z.jpgDestroying Angel by North White, on Flickr

"How is a vessel with 6 cannons worthy of the name "Destroying Angel?!?" Asked Agnes angrily. 

"Maybe you should have waited before naming it!" Yelled the designer. "This ship was built as a speedy, long range, maneuverable, gunboat. Not a Hard Hitting Warship." 

"Easy now-" Agnes was interrupted.

"DON'T QUESTION MY DESIGNS EVER AGAIN!" Yelled the Designer. 

The tour continued in silence until they reached the conference room. 

42634568985_c92cf5984c_z.jpgDestroying Angel by North White, on Flickr

"As you requested, a fully stocked bar, and a conferance room for directing WTC operations."

"Excellent." replied Agnes.

28652309197_aea043f69e_z.jpgDestroying Angel by North White, on Flickr

The Majestic Ship would soon see action against the Pirates of the Brick Seas...

...except for Sinbad thanks to the reckless actions of Ansa Mesabi...

FIN

Spoiler

So, finally finished the destroying angel, which I had working on since around November. I recently finished it up and spent the day doing rigging in sails, and I will say the following. 

Sails are $#@%$#@%$%$#@%#@%$#@%@#%#@%@#%@#^&*&*^(^%#@$$#@^&&(&^%#$$@#$ing difficult to do. And mine look absolutely terrible. They also took me like 6 hours to do, as well as a major chunk of my sanity. So I am not going to fix them anytime soon. 

Otherwise, I'm mostly happy with the rigging, and the ship as a whole. I tried to follow @Bregir's suggestions for the ship, and worked hard to give her a nice tumblehouse. I also added my own little interior for when I need a conference scene when I'm fighting pirates. 

C&C appreciated, though the sails are awful. I understand. 

Niiiiice. :thumbup:

I think this is easily your best from-scratch ship to date (the IR is better, but "only" a modified QAR). The colours and lines work out well, as does the tumblehome. The figurehead is a great idea.

The custom rigging I am not a fan of - I never saw them worth the effort, and I do not see it here either. The sails... eh, you already know that. How  about replacing them with some sturdy paper or cardboard sails? You could print some appropriate pattern on the paper, maybe even a large WTC logo for the main sail. It can not look worse... :pir_tong2:

Overall a good job though. Now let her rip through some pirate scum! WTC forever! :thumbup:

Impressive! I really like the shaping you've done, it really makes a difference compared to your previous builds. It's a shame you couldn't have got a shot of the whole vessel. I honour your rigging attempt, when I did mine I was ready to throw the whole thing on the floor, and so I gave up on sails. There's a few minor historical details I'm willing to overlook simply because she is a great looking ship. Well done Mesabi!

Looking good Mesabi, I see you have made a the tumblehome here, which is good, you may also consider to widen the hull a bit, to make it look more realistic. The conference room is a nice play feature, and the rounded window is very original too. 

On 7/21/2018 at 5:35 AM, Mesabi said:

Sails are $#@%$#@%$%$#@%#@%$#@%@#%#@%@#%@#^&*&*^(^%#@$$#@^&&(&^%#$$@#$ing difficult to do. And mine look absolutely terrible. They also took me like 6 hours to do, as well as a major chunk of my sanity. So I am not going to fix them anytime soon.

You're telling me... my fat hands still remember the horrible ordeal of rigging the Gargoyle and the Andromeda and the designing/hanging of the sails

However I never had any chunk of sanity :devil_laugh: