M_longer

42079 - Heavy Duty Forklift - MODs and improvements

Let's start with most obvious one - double wheels and widened mudguards:

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

Another modifications that come to mind are rebuilding the fork part for higher raising and making the steering system to work properly. Thougts?

I think there is nothing to add  ?

Let's see what could be done with this set, I assume that 4 cylinder engine can fit 

9 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I assume that 4 cylinder engine can fit 

I'd go for Mack one, better fits the scale of model.

Just now, M_longer said:

I'd go for Mack one, better fits the scale of model.

Could be, but I'm a bit old-fashioned and prefer single cylinder blocks like engine in original set. Just crossed my mind that a change in steering (rotating it for 180 degrees and of course adding two gears with 8 tooth) could help gaining space for at least one extra cylinder...

I usually don't see this type of threads but this beautiful machine deserves it and it needs some improvements.

Would be cool to make the forks shift left/right like on many real forklifts.

Edited by SNIPE

To make the boom raise further, you could attach a cable drum to the 8T gear that extends the gear rack. That would make it wind up as the fork rises.

I’d think that just redesigning the boom without the rack would be a better solution. The rack blocks the driver’s view massively.

6 hours ago, Bartybum said:

To make the boom raise further, you could attach a cable drum to the 8T gear that extends the gear rack. That would make it wind up as the fork rises.

I’d think that just redesigning the boom without the rack would be a better solution. The rack blocks the driver’s view massively.

3 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Would adding a extra pulley help send it up?

In theory adding a longer (or second) rope with extra pulley works to increase lifting height. Not sure how well it fits in real model though.

Anyone care to try?

47 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

In theory adding a longer (or second) rope with extra pulley works to increase lifting height. Not sure how well it fits in real model though.

Anyone care to try?

In theory since the cable will move down as fast as the rack moves up, the fork should rise twice as far, assuming it can travel that high at all.

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

In theory since the cable will move down as fast as the rack moves up, the fork should rise twice as far, assuming it can travel that high at all.

So the second pulley will help?

41 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

So the second pulley will help?

Sorry I misread the original comment. I’m not sure about a second pulley. I was just talking about modifying the existing pulley in the set.

Edited by Bartybum

Thank you for the LDD file @M_longer. I have been tinkering a bit in LDD, and think is my take on the 42079:

The main modifications I have made are:

• Smaller wheel size which seems more correct to the scale to me, doubled the tires at the front. (this does mean that at the moment the gears in the diff are the only things keeping the axles in place, which is not ideal)
  • Corrected the steering direction and rerouted it to the beacon light on top.
  • Lifting action rerouted to a thumb wheel on the left. (boom tilt lever is still present at the right side)
  • Moved the boom one stud higher due to the smaller wheel size, this increases the lifting height a bit as well.
  • Extended the rails on the boom, so theoretically, the forks can move higher.
  • Reduced the color vomit and picked a Hyster color scheme.

The result so far looks like this:

800x636.jpg

1 hour ago, Cumulonimbus said:

the forks can move higher.

Lifiting hight is limited by rack 14L.

I think tires are little but to small, so I prefer original tires...

To change steering to beacon light you will need extra gears and axles but this could be done   

Awesome progress, @Cumulonimbus!

On 7/22/2018 at 7:29 AM, I_Igor said:

I think tires are little but to small, so I prefer original tires... 

Maybe if 7L beam connected to the 3x11 panel was replaced with a 9L, so the rear mudguard could be placed one or two studs back the wheels wouldn't seem as small...:sceptic:

3 hours ago, Magical Duck said:

Maybe if 7L beam connected to the 3x11 panel was replaced with a 9L, so the rear mudguard could be placed one or two studs back the wheels wouldn't seem as small...:sceptic:

Ducky that could be solution, but someone should try it. ?

20 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

I like what you have done so far. 

12 hours ago, Magical Duck said:

Thank you both for your compliments, they have spurred me on: I have followed the advance of @Magical Duck  and changed the rear mudguards. I have also played around with some color schemes and last but not least, I redesigned the boom to increase the lifting height. Theoretically, the forks can now be lifted 26 studs, but I must test this in real bricks to be sure. It looks like this:

800x481.jpg

I'm try to making RC version of 42079. allready finish drive(L motor), steering(servo motor), fork up/down(L motor). I'm ready to make fork moving front/back but because I'm in korea army so don't have enough parts(1 mini liner) and can't take photo.:조금도:: cry3 :

Edited by msk6003
42078? what the hell

I wish I saw this topic sooner @Cumulonimbus already did most of the work I spend a bit of time on to tinker on my own (funny to see the same solutions though). Big thanks to @M_longer for the LDD!

c9efb4f080206652cac6274c3f4ad44b.png

The pieces on the left are what I removed and couldn't re-use. It's about 20 parts more than the original model.

5fd8e3178f63d82d435b89b1b4440611.png

Internally these few things changed:

- I also routed the steering to the light beacon on top and fixed the inverted steering issue.

- Based on the review from Sariel I geared up the lifting of the fork and is now placed on the left side (right side is still tilt).

- Also based on that review I added a friction axle pin to the tilt mechanism.

I tried to keep most of the model as close to the original as possible while fixing these things.

LDD originally made by M_Longer here (modified)

On 7/20/2018 at 11:57 PM, jorgeopesi said:

I usually don't see this type of threads but this beautiful machine deserves it and it needs some improvements.

Exactly why I felt compelled to mod it :classic:

Edited by Appie

My idea after building:

(56 mm Balloon tires:)

800x600.jpg

Edited by Aventador2004