TheArturro

Lego City 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

6 hours ago, pooda said:
On 6/22/2019 at 8:13 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I think this is a space set that I'm going to have to get used to. Personally, I like the 2015 launch pad better. Though I think there is space in my town for this. 

Here's JANGBRiCKS' newly-posted review of 60229 too for those interested:

@Bornin1980something Now THAT'S something I can agree on. 

Truthfully speaking, space kinda gave me a change of heart on explorers themes. I guess them being City themes aren't that bad. I actually think I may need some arctic sets for the snow patrol team in my city. If only I could find a way to build a snow plough. 

Edited by pooda

1 hour ago, Bornin1980something said:

I just like it that we finally have a minifig scale rocket, rather than a shuttle. 

I wouldn't exactly say minifigure scale, but probably as close as we'll get short of a UCS styled set.

Although I know nothing about rockets so this could be minifigure scale.

60028 and 60029 are definitely the best minifigure playscale rockets Lego has ever released, but they're far from the 1 stud = 1 foot scale that I use when planning minifigure "scale" builds.  60028 is styled after SLS, which is about the size of the Saturn V.  The Saturn V in 21309 is about 3 feet tall and is about 1:100 scale, while 1 stud = 1 foot is about 1:50 scale.  A minifigure "scale" SLS would then be about 6 or 7 feet tall; 60028 is about a foot and a half tall.

11 hours ago, icm said:

60028 and 60029 are definitely the best minifigure playscale rockets Lego has ever released, but they're far from the 1 stud = 1 foot scale that I use when planning minifigure "scale" builds.  60028 is styled after SLS, which is about the size of the Saturn V.  The Saturn V in 21309 is about 3 feet tall and is about 1:100 scale, while 1 stud = 1 foot is about 1:50 scale.  A minifigure "scale" SLS would then be about 6 or 7 feet tall; 60028 is about a foot and a half tall.

There are two ways to interpret minifigure scale: strictly (scaled accurately to the proportions of minifigures) or more loosely (scaled for minifigures to interact with but not necessarily to scale with the real-life subject that it's based on). The six or seven foot figure is a great example of why the latter tends to often be more common in sets—many real-life subjects are simply too large to be adapted directly to minifigure scale without fudging the proportions and scale to make them more practical as a playset.

18 hours ago, Bornin1980something said:

I just like it that we finally have a minifig scale rocket, rather than a shuttle. 

We had one in the 2011 LEGO City Space range as well! I wouldn't be surprised if LEGO specifically chose what type of spacecraft to include in their main launch platform set each time around based on what they thought would stand out from the previous time around.

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

There are two ways to interpret minifigure scale: strictly (scaled accurately to the proportions of minifigures) or more loosely (scaled for minifigures to interact with but not necessarily to scale with the real-life subject that it's based on). The six or seven foot figure is a great example of why the latter tends to often be more common in sets—many real-life subjects are simply too large to be adapted directly to minifigure scale without fudging the proportions and scale to make them more practical as a playset.

Yeah… I think that in particular, the standardization of LEGO train tracks can make it really impractical to expect everything in a City layout to work at the same scale. Those are about 1:38 scale based on the size of "L-gauge" track pieces compared to real-world standard-gauge tracks, but at that scale a space shuttle orbiter (the space plane portion, without booster rockets) would be about 98 centimeters (122.5 studs) long with a 62.6 centimeter (78.25 stud) wingspan.

That said, thinking about this and the way sets like the Apollo 11 Saturn V set from LEGO Ideas dealt with this by using trophy-style microfigs (which are about 1/3 the height of a minifigure if you ignore the pedestal), I can't help but wonder whether there would ever be interest in a theme using that scale as its default and being more geared towards scale modeling than play. It would almost, in some respects, function as a revival of the style embraced by so many sets prior to the introduction of the minifigure such as 354 Police Heliport and 355 Town Center Set with Roadways, or the even earlier Town Plan range.

That of course wouldn't allow for the kind of flexibility of today's themes like Creator, City, or even Architecture, which opt for whichever scale is most conducive to play value, affordability, and authenticity to the subject in question. But if LEGO continues to grow in popularity and expand its capacity for targeting less traditional audiences than kids ages 6–12, then I wonder if it's something that they'd see as something worth at least experimenting with at least in a slightly broader capacity (rather than merely on a case-by-case basis as they successfully managed with the Saturn V set).

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

That said, thinking about this and the way sets like the Apollo 11 Saturn V set from LEGO Ideas dealt with this by using trophy-style microfigs (which are about 1/3 the height of a minifigure if you ignore the pedestal), I can't help but wonder whether there would ever be interest in a theme using that scale as its default and being more geared towards scale modeling than play. It would almost, in some respects, function as a revival of the style embraced by so many sets prior to the introduction of the minifigure such as 354 Police Heliport and 355 Town Center Set with Roadways, or the even earlier Town Plan range.

I don't see a nanofig scale really fit in as it's own full fictional City theme but rather as an alternative to create some sets like the Saturn V, (microscale) Hogwarts or Rexcelsior sets, that are recognizeable enough from other source material.

Architecture is the closest we get to a full theme of much-smaller then minifig builds, and even there, there's no universal scale.

I can possibly see them add more printed nanofigs in future sets, possibly UCS Star Wars or something, and I don't mean the playsets, but sets like Death Star 2 or Super Star Destroyer. Of course some minifigs could be included as well for the collectors.

But even there, scale within Star Wars vehicles and Death Stars are enormous.

Nanofigs do allow more rooms and scenes to integrate in a model , at the cost of some brick-built detail, so likely more stickers will be needed as a compromise depending on the model type. (microscale Hogwarts had a lot of stickers for it's rooms)

Edited by TeriXeri

10 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I was thinking of the looser interpretation. I could never afford a correctly scaled rocket. 

Next LEGO City Magazine (August 1 in The Netherlands), has a cop with a small 4 wide open car, almost go-kart like :wink:

Ooh, I was just looking at some of the online instruction manuals for the LEGO City Mars Expedition sets, and I love that they have an actual magnifying glass in the space telescope build: https://www.lego.com/biassets/bi/6282423.pdf

Sure, it's not a real telescopic effect (which would require multiple lenses or mirrors), but it's still cool that they made it so you can look through it and see things BIGGER!

The new piece used to link the rocket stages is also really cool and will be great for stuff like modular moonbases or undersea bases, etc. Sort of like the arches from the Life on Mars sets but without so many insanely specialized textures or such a huge size.

Also some BRILLIANT play features in the mission control building: https://www.lego.com/biassets/bi/6282435.pdf There's a removable screen made using stickered transparent panels with spinny or slidey bits mounted behind them. But I've read you can also remove that and put a smartphone in its place, and that they'll have videos online or in one of their apps that you can use while playing with the set to add real video and audio.

This is the type of stuff that I think really shows how many ways that the advent of smartphones/tablets can add to authentically LEGO play experiences. In the 80s and 90s, including "light and sound" features in sets required expensive electronic components and designing sets with room for a bulky battery box — in the 2000s, LEGO made more compact light and sound bricks with their own "button batteries" that saved space, but they were still pricy compared to regular bricks. And including a working video screen? Out of the question.

But nowadays, video and web capable mobile devices (including smartphones but also other devices like iPod Touch and Samsung Galaxy Player) are so ubiquitous that LEGO can introduce optional play features using devices that many kids can simply borrow from a parent during a play session, and thus enhance their play scenarios without needing to drive up the cost of the set by actually including that sort of advanced hardware in the box.

Even without the required tech, a set like this or https://brickset.com/sets/41349-1/Drifting-Diner still offers just as great or greater a building and play experience when compared to an equivalent set would have back when this type of tech wasn't possible.

And even though it's not a true monorail, the elevated rail system astronauts use to get from mission control to the launch site is the sort of thing that will be fantastic in future space related sets and MOCs. After all, it ends up looking more like a real monorail or even many sci-fi "space train" concepts in how it wraps around the track than the old monorail sets that just sat on top of the track.

It will be interesting to see if in the future either LEGO themselves or fans come up with additions to this rail system like track switches that conserve momentum (as opposed to the style in the Creator Expert Roller Coaster set that only moves stopped trains on and off of a particular track — usable for track switches, but not quite the same effect).

All this stuff is genuinely a massive step forward for space exploration sets, not just compared to the ones I grew up with in themes like Space Port/Launch Command but also compared to other space exploration focused City sets in 2011 and 2015! It even feels innovative compared to many of the types of play features in more futuristic, sci-fi inspired Space sets!

Bought the Space people pack today and I love it. So many neat parts and you get a lot for the price (IMO its better value than the funfair pack because you get more pieces and more figs and both packs cost the same price here in Australia)

2 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Bought the Space people pack today and I love it. So many neat parts and you get a lot for the price (IMO its better value than the funfair pack because you get more pieces and more figs and both packs cost the same price here in Australia)

Dude! The one I'm determined to grab is 60228. That's a guaranteed building in my City. 

So the summer City wave has finally hit retail in my neck of the woods, and as I've really been looking forward to the Space subline I treated myself to the Lunar Station. It's the most interesting of the sub-$100 sets for me - Lego has done tons of space shuttles and a few rovers over the years, but to my memory and flaky attempt at Google searching, they've never done a quasi-realistic space station. At the toy-ified scale it is, I think it works quite well!

Granted, the price-to-part level isn't all that great, but I shudder to think of how much this would have cost if they hadn't used the big hull pieces. And really, it turns out fine - the play pattern with the interchangable modules works well, everything is pretty sturdy, and the whole thing just looks right to me. I did spot one non-specific part that is completely new to me, the 1x1x2 double-headlight; plus of course the Space theme rock pieces and big docking-port octagons. The latter do make me scratch my head a little, as they created a specialized part for a function that could have been replicated by standard System and Technic parts. But I suppose if it would have been less sturdy or shaped oddly, it's worth the specialized piece.

As far as the structure itself, it's a little cramped (which is oddly realistic, all things considered), but the hints at the science labs, sleeping quarters, airlock...it's all good. There are enough details to make it Good Enough, especially considering the age range City is intended for these days instead of more detail-minded (obssessed?) adult collectors. The build looks pretty good from all angles, so you could hang it up as a space station or plant is as a surface outpost. The small play features are hardly intrusive, and even the bits that stick out don't really look out of place - the button for the Pizza Accident and the butt of the light brick just look like greebles and equipment.

Aside from the main structure, I really appreciate the inclusion of the little shuttleplane. It links into the 'docking' play pattern, is a decent little build on its own (I could see it having gone separately for like $8 in years past, and actually docks unlike this year's $10 set), has a tiny bit of cargo space that unfortunately the robot doesn't fit in, and is eminently swooshable. Four minifigures plus the bitty robot isn't bad in the grand scheme of things, and the costume variety is fine, really. Mix and match heads to suits with no problem.

One other little thing, the reviews I watched didn't catch the easter egg in the Geology module - your video call is from a Dr. Ogel. The old Aquaraider villain apparently retired in peace and his family line continues in the business of science!

On the whole, if you're on the fence about this set or theme, $60 is a little pricey. If you're into it though, I think it's worth the splurge. Not sure what I'll grab next now that I got my "new and shiny" out of the way, maybe the R&D People or the big rover. I'm keeping an eye out for the satellite polybag too, but my local retail is...bad for those. Walmart is drowning in Lego Movie 2 polys, and Target is still overflowing with leftover Milanos and Christmas Trains.

As far as wishlisting, while I never double-dip on a single set, if they did a different station/outpost/thing with modules that just happen to match up, well...

Edited by Ceir

PromoBricks - LEGO City 60203 Ski Resort: First Pictures of the New Winter Set

lego-city-60203-ski-resort_10.jpg

Put your warm clothes together and make the track unsafe - with the LEGO® City Play Set "Ski Resort". Show off your tricks in the snow park's halfpipe and rail, or pretend to watch other snowboarders being filmed by the helicopter and shown on the big toy screen above the ski shop. Look! The rescue team is using the snowmobile to bring an injured skier to the rescue station. Build a snowman with your friends and then warm up with a hot drink from the nearby booth. Mmmm! This cupcake looks delicious! After you've warmed up, there's plenty of fun in the snow waiting for you!

• Includes 11 LEGO® City minifigures - 3 ski patrol members, a ski shop salesman, a helicopter pilot, a skier, a snowboarder, 2 children, a beverage vendor and a customer - as well as a dog figure and a snowman figure to assemble. 
• This great construction toy includes a two-story rescue station with rooftop communication antennas, a ski shop with a large screen and a shelf for snowboards and skis, a hot drinks and cupcakes stand, a fantastic snow park with floodlight mast, halfpipe with stairs and a separate rail ,
• In addition, this children's kit includes an all-wheel truck with a movable snow plow and roof rack, a snowmobile with a trailer and a helicopter with a hinged cockpit, rotatable rotors and a camera. 
• The accessories include 4 pairs of skis, 3 pairs of ski poles, 4 snowboards, 4 cups, 2 cupcakes, a syringe element, a hand plaster, 2 ice axes, binoculars, 2 radios, 2 buckets, a tool / first aid box, one Wrench, an ax, a circular saw, a broom, snowshoes, a helmet with ski goggles, a warm hat and a stretcher, as well as an element separator and a shield to assemble. 
• Spin the rotors of the helicopter to glide over the snow park and pretend to film the snowboarders.
• Place the injured skier on the snowmobile stretcher and bring him back to the rescue station. 
• Use the snowplow of the 4WD truck to clear the way for the snowmobile to clear the station. 
• This cool toy for kids is a great, stand-alone gift! 
• The helicopter is 7 cm high, 20 cm long and 7 cm wide. 
• The snowmobile with trailer is 5 cm high, 18 cm long and 3 cm wide. 
• The 4x4 truck with snow plow is 9 cm high, 14 cm long and 7 cm wide. 
• The stall is 10 cm high, 6 cm wide and 3 cm deep. 
• The snowpark with halfpipe is 12 cm high, 16 cm wide and 12 cm deep. 
• The rescue station is 20 cm high, 19 cm wide and 7 cm deep.
• The ski shop with screen is 15 cm high, 12 cm wide and 7 cm deep. 
• The rail is 11 cm wide.

Looks like a pretty sweet set. I might get it if the price is reasonable and I can make the room in my city. Or scrap it for parts Unfortunately, the main building doesn't have a lot of visual appeal . . the sports shop is possibly he nicest part of the set, followed by the ski rescue vehicles.

Kinda surprising this wasn't around at the same time as the Arctic stuff . . 

10 hours ago, pooda said:

@J4ck I agree. I hope this is the start of a new sports subtheme. 

This set in particular seems to be in the Town subtheme due to the assortment of different subject matter — similar to https://brickset.com/sets/60200-1/Capital-City, which had a half pipe and basketball hoop in addition to stuff like food vendors, police, construction, and mass transit.

I do think it'd be interesting to see if LEGO could make more specifically sports-focused sets… they've certainly shown the capability for a lot of different sports-related builds in the Friends theme, albeit usually with only a few per year as part of bigger categories, rather than a full sports-focused subtheme of sets launching in the same year.

7 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I do think it'd be interesting to see if LEGO could make more specifically sports-focused sets… they've certainly shown the capability for a lot of different sports-related builds in the Friends theme, albeit usually with only a few per year as part of bigger categories, rather than a full sports-focused subtheme of sets launching in the same year.

Though it would be nice, I don't see certain things in City's future. At least  the near future. I'm not sexist. But there are just certain things that work for Friendd that don't work for City. Girls love to go places and have a great time. Thus why minor civilian infrastructure like houses, pet shops or grocery stores would work for them. Boys like to go either save the day or travel across the globe and explore different habitats. City and Friends are practically the same thing. One is just aimed at boys and the other is aimed at girls. 

Its not really our beeswax if Lego doesn't meet our need.

Would what I just said explain why you defend City on their systems?

I somehow can't imagine interesting sport sets at all. Especially team sport where kids would get 5 or more identical figures.

The current CMF line is ideal for an occasional basket- or baseball player. Series 19 will have at football player.

This year's City Advent Calendar is amazing, I don't want to spoil it but I'm impressed with the direction they went.

Definitely going to figure out to incorporate this Ski Resort into my WV setup. Will probably take some altering of colors and possibly combining the two buildings but I think it has a ton of potential. Cool set!

60223 Harvester Transport is the most beautiful truck of recent years in my opinion. However, feels like a Harvester truck is hard to match the modern city

Thank you very much for the picture, the set details and the link, @Digger of Bricks!

It looks like the Ski Resort was especially made for me! :wub:

Con:

- hot cacao stand has no side walls

- ski patrol building has no seperation between entrance and surgery

- ski patrol building is only four studs deep inside

- useless helicopter (would have prefered a civilian car for the skiers and snowboarders to transport their equipment)

Pro:

+ many minifigs

+ a lot of accessory

+ colors of the winter rescue vehicles have the same color sheme like last year's rescue heli

+ goes very well with the Winter Village sets

+ ski patrol building has second floor

+ halfpipe and rail bring some action to the setting

+ snowmobile, truck and heli are very well designed

+ hot cacao stand was til now missing in the WV and so it's great we now get it at least here

+ amazing and exceptional outer architectual design of both buildings

+ great interior details inside the sports shop

Although I fear that it won't happen: A ski lift with ski hut in 2020 in addition to this Ski Resort would be completely amazing!

On 7/25/2019 at 12:29 AM, ks6349 said:

60223 Harvester Transport is the most beautiful truck of recent years in my opinion.

I completely agree with you, ks6349! Therefore I really hope that TLG is going to offer us more Farm stuff in 2020.