TheArturro

Lego City 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

NEW STUD SHOOTERS, BUT NOT ONE BUT TWO!!!

Current Shooters:

• Handheld shooter
  • Firefigter Shooter (2016)
  • 1x2 plate based Shooter
  • Spring Shooter
  • Barrel Shooter
  • Crossbow Shooter
  • ø3.2 with ball Shooter
  • Net Launcher

New Shooters

• 1x1 tile shooter
  • Pump Action Shooter (like the spring shooter)

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I agree with @Digger of Bricks. In past years we've had a Castle, a Pirate Island, a horse stable and many other varied subjects released under LEGO Juniors. Now that the 4+ sets have been fully integrated in to the bigger umbrella themes, it means they'll be limited to only producing sets based on current subjects being produced under those themes.

EXACTLY! I mean, wouldn't a Classic Spaceship been right at home within such a line, given its Juniors-like color scheme and simplicity? :shrug_oh_well:

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

EXACTLY! I mean, wouldn't a Classic Spaceship been right at home within such a line, given its Juniors-like color scheme and simplicity? :shrug_oh_well:

Yes a space ship would have fitted in perfectly. I always looked on "Juniors" as a sort of stepping stone for kids going from Duplo to normal LEGO. So it made sense for Juniors to adopt a random and varied selection of topics for their sets just as Duplo sets do. It could be argued that nothing has really changed this year except the branding and packaging, but I still think I preferred it when "Juniors" was kept separate from the other LEGO themes.

Saving tons of money on these sets, they are really bad in general.

The harvester would have made a great $20 set, but it doesn't need a transport truck, that's stupid. They have a pipe on the harvester to shoot the harvest into a truck... yet no truck is included. Such a waste.

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

In past years we've had a Castle, a Pirate Island, a horse stable and many other varied subjects released under LEGO Juniors. Now that the 4+ sets have been fully integrated in to the bigger umbrella themes, it means they'll be limited to only producing sets based on current subjects being produced under those themes.

The Juniors Pirate set came out the same year they had a regular Pirates theme! The Junior Castle set came out the same time as the regular Castle theme! Surely there are plenty of themes which can currently house an idea as unique as 'a horse stable'.

1 minute ago, Bricked1980 said:

Yes a space ship would have fitted in perfectly. I always looked on "Juniors" as a sort of stepping stone for kids going from Duplo to normal LEGO. So it made sense for Juniors to adopt a random and varied selection of topics for their sets just as Duplo sets do. It could be argued that nothing has really changed this year except the branding and packaging, but I still think I preferred it when "Juniors" was kept separate from the other LEGO themes.

I've scrolled through the Juniors sets on Brickset. Where are people getting this idea that Juniors was some incubator for out-of-the-norm sets? I feel like I'm in a parallel universe.

6 minutes ago, GregoryBrick said:

I've scrolled through the Juniors sets on Brickset. Where are people getting this idea that Juniors was some incubator for out-of-the-norm sets?

Point being, it could have been:wink:

14 hours ago, CFOL said:

I think the light and sound system is the downpoint, I think it shouldn't have made a return.

Why? How can it be? Myself, among many, very many others I guess, have wanted a comeback for the Light&Sound for decades. I just hope it`s not too big parts. The old lights was equal to a 1x4 or a 1x2 brick (+ batterybox)

32 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

While to us as adults it's great to think of Juniors as an opportunity for LEGO to offer categories we don't see as often in normal themes, I can understand why it's shifted towards the same themes as for older builders. Not only does it allow parts to be shared more easily between sets for older and younger builders, but I imagine a lot of younger LEGO builders might have older siblings who are into the more typical 5+/6+/7+ play themes, and often younger siblings want to enjoy the same sorts of stuff as their older peers do. This gives them an opportunity to do so, and helps keep them from feeling like those themes their older friends and relatives enjoy are off limits to them or that they don't have what it takes to build sets with those sorts of subject matter.

What's more, even with a different age range, the glut of Star Wars sequel trilogy/anthology movie sets might still be just as much of an obstacle to Space-themed Juniors sets as to Space-themed sets for older builders. It's unknown what constraints the Star Wars license has on other types of space-oriented sets. it's obvious that broadly speaking, LEGO is still allowed to make sets with spaceships and aliens and robots and whatnot, judging from all the space-related sets we've seen in the past 4 years from non-Disney licenses like E.T., Doctor Who, Voltron, Justice League, NASA, Overwatch, etc… not to mention non-licensed stuff like the City Space subtheme, Creator 3-in-1 Robo Explorer and Space Shuttle Explorer, or the Minifigures Series 13 Galaxy Trooper, Series 15 Astronaut, and Series 17 Retro Spaceman. But if there ARE constraints on what types of space stuff would run afoul of the Star Wars licensing agreement (and I suspect there are), they might just as easily pertain to Juniors as to any other System theme.

58 minutes ago, Chilis said:

Why? How can it be? Myself, among many, very many others I guess, have wanted a comeback for the Light&Sound for decades. I just hope it`s not too big parts. The old lights was equal to a 1x4 or a 1x2 brick (+ batterybox)

It looks like it's self contained but it's still too big proportionally for a 6-wide vehicle. It looks silly.

4 hours ago, JimDude said:

Also looks as if the crane can tip over the lamppost which in turns hits a lever on the side of the building, which puts the entire place 'on fire' by popping up the flames.

That is my spot too, and the hole mechanism should be quite simple one. 

12 minutes ago, CDM said:

It looks like it's self contained but it's still too big proportionally for a 6-wide vehicle. It looks silly.

On the he Fire truck roof it does not looks too big or unproportional for me. Recall the old 9V system, while the lights were size of 1x4 brick the sound 2x2 but quite high, the battery box was 3/4 of size of the vehicle. So I think the new one is quite nice. 

Edited by AOW

A couple of thoughts:

• Snow Groomer: looks nice except for the shooter. Might consider buy and leaving it off.
  • Dock Side Fire: this looks like a Juniors set, which is fine but including it in the regular City line is a poor choice from a design perspective. Reminds me of the dark age design from the late 90s / early 2000s.
  • Fire Brigade: Lights (see above), the tractor trailer fire truck design is pretty unrealistic, still. Lego has done this several times over the last 10 years and they never look right. I like the concept of the building / crane.
  • Harvester: I agree that the set would be better served with a dump truck rather than the transporter however it's not all that unrealistic. I appears that the two outer harvester blades (gears) flip up towards the machine for transport, a realistic feature. Not sure if it was mentioned but this particular type is called a forage harvester. 

34 minutes ago, AOW said:

On the he Fire truck roof it does not looks too big or unproportional for me. Recall the old 9V system, while the lights were size of 1x4 brick the sound 2x2 but quite high, the battery box was 3/4 of size of the vehicle. So I think the new one is quite nice. 

I remember those 9v sets...I had the medical helicopter and enjoyed the functionality.

In terms of realism, light bars have been getting smaller and more streamlined in recent years...this Lego light bar looks like it's straight out of the 70s. They could have used a piece similar to the roof slope and hidden a watch-type battery in there. Missed opportunity. This version works just fine for the Juniors line but IMO it's too tall for regular City vehicles.

BBQ burn out has like the tiniest BBQ ever on a junior car, oh well.

But 2018 10750 Road Repair Truck was in City line as well, with similar style.

20 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

Wow, interesting to see the Lion head bricks back in that large set - I don’t think they have been in production for years.

Knighton Castle (Summer 2017) had 2 of them on the front gates.

Edited by TeriXeri

About mixing Juniors with City. All the Junior sets, even those which were "part" of City line still had set number starting with 107xxx, while all the "pure" City from few years have 60xxxx. Now, those two which are under aged of"pure" City, that is+4, have the same number as those above 5 that is 60xxxxx, either we are having a kind of hybrids nowadays, or Lego is end dating the Junior line, at least the one which was incorporated in to standard lines (i.e. City, Ninjago etc..)

I like most of these new sets yet i wouldnt buy the 4+ sets, because they disrupt the city style. Juniors was simple and clear branding so i don 't realy get how this merge would benefit TLG. 

• Yacht: should have been at least 8 wide
  • Rally car: very nice design 
  • Fire sets: seem ok
  • Snow groomer: looks fun
  • Harvester: will definetly buy one 
Edited by AE bricks

26 minutes ago, AE bricks said:

Yacht: should have been at least 8 wide

it is 8 wide :P

I still feel that the 4+ sets are a waste. We didn't need those simplified builds when we were kids and my friend's 3 year old doesn't need them, either.

The Snow Groomer and the Yacht have the most potential, imo. The harvester set makes for a true head scratcher and I've never seen a fire fighter on a bike or a huge fire truck like this in real life, even though I live somewhat close to the local fire station. I prefer 60107.

Overall, I like the new Creator sets better. Especially "Deep Sea Creatures" and the "Shuttle Transporter".

I think the harvester is the highlight for me. I agree it needs some sort of hopper to dump all of its harvest in to but it still looks like a great set. Now all we need is for LEGO to launch a complete farm sub theme for summer 2019. :grin: Wishful thinking!

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

...now all we need is for LEGO to launch a complete farm sub theme for summer 2019...

Amen to that!

2 hours ago, 3797 said:

I still feel that the 4+ sets are a waste. We didn't need those simplified builds when we were kids and my friend's 3 year old doesn't need them, either.

You say that, and yet your avatar is a picture of a Fabuland set. Fabuland was designed and marketed as a "stepping stone" between Duplo and regular System play themes, the same as themes like Jack Stone or Juniors. In fact, Fabuland was actually aimed slightly younger (Fabuland was aimed at ages 3+ or 4+, whereas all Juniors sets to date have been marked for ages 4+) though that's probably more because of changes in choking hazard laws rather than changes in the product itself. See this catalog for reference: https://images.brickset.com/library/Catalogues/c81uk.pdf

The complexity level of Fabuland sets was also not much different than Juniors sets of similar size, albeit with many more specialized parts, fewer smaller parts, and many more stickers. There's probably more point to a "stepping stone" theme today than there was back then, because today there are far more themes aimed at older builders… themes like Ninjago, Nexo Knights, Elves, and even many licensed themes start at 7+ and go up to 9+ or higher with the biggest sets, while other themes like Architecture, Mindstorms, Creator Expert, and Ideas typically target builders ages 10 and up. A lot has changed from the 80s when entire themes aimed at builders seven or older were the exception rather than the norm.

Can you really not see why beginning System builders might enjoy opportunities to confidently build and play with the same types of figures, stories, and themes/worlds as the sets their older siblings enjoy, as opposed to a cutesy theme with oversized talking animals that their older or more experienced siblings and friends might perceive as babyish?

Edited by Aanchir

I don't mind a few junior sets, small ones at that, I can skip them.

I just need to see a better picture/video/review of the Fire Station/Burger Bar to fully judge the 2019 Fire wave.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

You say that, and yet your avatar is a picture of a Fabuland set.

Nice try. I chose that avatar in memory of my great grandmother and because set 3797 was the first LEGO that I got to play with. She could have brought me Playmobil or even a Barbie doll and I would have been stoked to own a toy ... any toy ... from West Germany. Those were status symbols comparable to a 7 year old owning an iPhone 8 in 2018. I didn't ask for a Fabuland set. I didn't even know that LEGO existed. Actually, I wasn't aware that she was allowed to leave the country. I was 7 years old and stuck in East Germany, at the time. My guess is that this little car was all my great grandmother could afford since she bought it with the money that her friend gave her so that she could buy a snack or a coffee while visiting the city of Wiesbaden. I didn't fall in love with LEGO because set 3797 was so simple to build. I fell in love with LEGO because I instantly felt that the build quality was much better than anything I had ever seen before. I did play with PeBe and Formo when I was much younger.

I got this for my 3rd birthday:

45962569011_cb4926a1bd.jpg

Various sets of those when I was ~5 years old:

45238313674_0006ea00f0_z.jpg

And this one for christmas when I was 10:

32091716218_fcce2dcc20_z.jpg

But yeah, I'd prefer real new Fabuland sets for 4 year olds instead of those Town Jr. / Jack Stone inspired sets. Kids aren't going to use those specialized big pieces for long anyway and Fabuland figures have a certain charme that those Jr. sets lack.

Otherwise, what was so hard about putting this together:

31023790797_7bdcc6d939_b.jpg

?

Why make dedicated Jr. sets, when they often complain that they don't have enough "slots" available? Why invest in those huge specialized pieces when even train windows are apparently/supposedly too expensive to make and sell?

8 hours ago, CDM said:

A couple of thoughts:

• Snow Groomer: looks nice except for the shooter. Might consider buy and leaving it off.
  • Dock Side Fire: this looks like a Juniors set, which is fine but including it in the regular City line is a poor choice from a design perspective. Reminds me of the dark age design from the late 90s / early 2000s.
  • Fire Brigade: Lights (see above), the tractor trailer fire truck design is pretty unrealistic, still. Lego has done this several times over the last 10 years and they never look right. I like the concept of the building / crane.
  • Harvester: I agree that the set would be better served with a dump truck rather than the transporter however it's not all that unrealistic. I appears that the two outer harvester blades (gears) flip up towards the machine for transport, a realistic feature. Not sure if it was mentioned but this particular type is called a forage harvester. 

At least here in the States, ski hills do have “snow cannons”. They are used to make “fake snow” when the temperature is low enough for snow, but Mother Nature does not produce real snow.

again, here in the States, we have fire trucks called “tillers” (often referred to as “hook and ladders” which are very similar to the one from the fire brigade set.  Though usually, the ladder turntable is at the front of the trailer and there is a cab at the rear of the trailer for the “tillerman” who steers the trailer axel to allow the truck to make much tighter turns.  A lot of bigger departments also have tractor trailer type fire trucks as large rescue trucks (they often resemble American style beverage trucks) or mobile command post trucks.

Sal

WFB, WI

Just now, 3797 said:

But yeah, I'd prefer real new Fabuland sets for 4 year olds instead of those Town Jr. / Jack Stone inspired sets. Kids aren't going to use those specialized big pieces for long anyway and Fabuland figures have a certain charme that those Jr. sets lack.

"Charm" (which, needless to say, is highly subjective) aside, I don't see how there's any dispute that 60212 (64 pieces, $10) has more building value, more play value, and a better price per piece even without adjusting for inflation than 3797 (10 pieces, $3.35). With 3797 the chassis and wheels, which were easily just as specialized as a Juniors chassis, even came pre-assembled. I'm not trying to say that your nostalgia isn't valid or that you weren't a good a builder at a young age as you say you were. But if there were enough less skilled builders back in the 1980s to justify intermediate sets for the post-Duplo, pre-Town age group, then I don't see why anyone would assume there's no longer enough of an audience at that building level to justify such sets today.

Besides having System-sized bricks, plates, and studs, something that Juniors does that Fabuland doesn't do so much of is introduce things like basic SNOT building that today are used much more extensively in all System themes than they were in the 80s, but are still almost entirely absent from Duplo. Even if not every builder's individual timeline has a sharp line between Duplo and basic System building at exactly 4 years, it still doesn't hurt to try and diminish the abruptness of that jump from Duplo (about as basic as it gets) to the much more varied and complicated instructions and building techniques in standard City cars, trucks, and buildings.

17 minutes ago, 3797 said:

Otherwise, what was so hard about putting this together:

31023790797_7bdcc6d939_b.jpg

Nothing much… but at the same time, it's worth noting that aside from polybags, City cars today tend to be WAY more complex than that, and, again, a huge jump up in complexity from Duplo cars which tend to be only one to four pieces connected with simple vertical stacking.

Even as impulse or polybag sets go, a set like 6506 is not far from the building level we see in Juniors/4+ polybags like 30338, 30339, and 30473… though I suppose it's fair to say that 6506 would be slightly more complex for a beginning builder than those polybags, because again, it's got some basic SNOT techniques.

26 minutes ago, 3797 said:

Why make dedicated Jr. sets, when they often complain that they don't have enough "slots" available? Why invest in those huge specialized pieces when even train windows are apparently/supposedly too expensive to make and sell?

For starters, because having something to help transition Duplo builders into System building has evidently proven to be a worthwhile use of "slots". I also suspect many of the "huge specialized pieces" in Juniors have by now more than paid off the manufacturing costs of their molds, because even if they're "specialized" by normal System standards, most of them have been used across many different sets by now. Notably, of the 4+ sets we've seen so far for 2019, I don't think ANY have any obvious new molds (specialized or otherwise) that haven't appeared in other current or recent sets.

Also, the old train windows, nice as they might be aesthetically, are basically cosmetic variations on existing window panes and frames, which can often take their place without great difficulty. Not to mention, a lot of the kinds of modern day passenger and freight trains that we see most frequently in sets have windows and doors that don't closely resemble the classic 1x4x3 train window or 1x4x5 train door — so in those cases, the decorative panache of the classic parts would be more of a weakness than a strength.

By comparison, most Juniors parts' specialization serves a functionally discrete and important purpose (making stuff like cars, trucks, planes, buildings, and helicopters more accessible to builders who only just graduated from Duplo). So sure, LEGO can make all those things with less specialized pieces, and most of the time  they DO — but those types of builds aren't adequate for easing the transition between Duplo-level and City-level building. In that context, more specific parts are not just preferable, but necessary.