TheArturro

Lego City 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

48 minutes ago, 9v brick master said:

I cant find the leak images of the ski resort can someone tell were I should look thanks

I believe there is no image of the set as of yet, as this is all we have so far: Brickset - 60203 Ski Resort

21 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

60203 Ski Ressort - 80 Euros (in Germany)

(source: brickset + brickmerge)

I'm really looking forward to seeing pics of this set!

For 80 Euros a small ski hut, a little snowy mountain and a simple ski lift could be included, don't you think?

Finaly some good news. This is what city is all about, not some neo-space-theme.

8 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

• Lodge/Log Cabin
  • Small Ski-lift
  • Slalom Area , small side builds with red/blue flags, not an actual slope.
  • Snow Mobile
  • Snacks or Ski/Snowboard stall
  • Orange-ish border barriers
  • Small Snow ramp (a few sloped bricks) or Halfpipe (maybe another reference to the Xtreme, see snow groomer stickers/minifig with X on torso)
  • Tree/rock sidebuild
  • Family car
  • Small snowplow with worker minifig + tools.

You guessed correctly four points there.

15 hours ago, TheGlynreaper said:

I knew you would complain about the rollercoaster rails you are a very boring person with no sense of imagination

learn to be a true lego fan for once

Sorry to say so, but I've noticed over the last couple of weeks in different topics that you do not respect other people's opinion. All members on this board or LEGO fans, but not every fan has to appreciate everyting lego does. I dislike many sets they made when I look at lego as an AFOL, but understand the appeal for kids.

Just let everyone be, let them express their opinion, even when it's not the same as yours. It is a discussion-board after all.

8 hours ago, 9v brick master said:

I cant find the leak images of the ski resort can someone tell were I should look thanks

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I believe there is no image of the set as of yet, as this is all we have so far: Brickset - 60203 Ski Resort

There is a certain forum that has allowed a link to a certain german toyshop website that has 2 watermarked images of the set

4 hours ago, *thomas* said:

This is what city is all about, not some neo-space-theme.

You just have to think of City's Mars Mission subtheme as a barely-recognizable refugee seeking asylum, fleeing from Disney's Star Wars after being ripped from its rightful place in Lego's product line-up with no where else to go. :sad:

I didn't find the pics of 60203 - please can someone send me a link?

But I found the set description. Here it is translated into English:

Description:

It's time to wrap up warm before heading off to the slopes with the LEGO® City Ski Resort! Test your skills on the half-pipe and the rail of the snowpark or watch the performances of other snowboarders filmed from the helicopter and broadcast live on the giant screen above the ski shop. Warning: on their snowmobile, rescue workers carry a wounded skier to the first aid station. Build a snowman with your friends, then warm up around a hot drink. Yum, this cupcake looks delicious! Once warmed up, you can go back to having fun in the snow!

Product composition:

• Includes 11 LEGO® City minifigures: 3 trackers, ski shop vendor, helicopter pilot, skier, snowboarder, 2 children, hot drink stand vendor and a customer, plus a dog and a man of snow to build.

• This fun building set includes a 2-level rescue station with a rooftop communication antenna, a ski shop with a giant screen and a ski and snowboard stand, a hot drink and cupcake stand and an amazing snowpark with a lamppost, a halfpipe with an access staircase and a separate rail.

• This children's toy also includes a 4x4 back-up truck with a mobile plow and roof rack, a snow scooter with a trailer, plus a helicopter with a cockpit that opens, rotating propellers and a camera.

• Accessories include 4 pairs of skis, 3 pairs of ski poles, 4 snowboards, 4 cups, 2 cupcakes, a syringe element, a hand plaster, 2 ice picks, a pair of binoculars, 2 walkie talkies, 2 shovels, tool box / first aid box, adjustable wrench, ax, circular saw, broom, ski boots, helmet with ski mask, hat and stretcher, plus splitter bricks and a panel to build.

• The helicopter's propeller rotates to fly over the snowpark and film snowboarders.

• The injured skier may be lying on the snow scooter stretcher and down to the first aid station.

• The 4x4 truck plow clears the way for the snowmobile to return to base!

• This great toy is a great gift for the imaginative kids!

• The helicopter and its camera are more than 7 cm high, 20 cm long and 7 cm wide.

• The snowmobile and its trailer are more than 5 cm high, 18 cm long and 3 cm wide.

• The 4x4 truck and snow plow are over 9 cm high, 14 cm long and 7 cm wide.

• The booth of hot drinks and cupcakes is more than 10 cm high, 6 cm wide and 3 cm deep.

• The snowpark and its half-pipe measure more than 12 cm high, 16 cm wide and 12 cm deep.

• The first aid post is more than 20 cm high, 19 cm wide and 7 cm deep.

• The ski shop and its giant screen are more than 15 cm high, 12 cm wide and 7 cm deep.

• The rail is more than 11 cm wide.

12 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Includes 11 LEGO® City minifigures: 3 trackers, ski shop vendor, helicopter pilot, skier, snowboarder, 2 children, hot drink stand vendor and a customer, plus a dog and a man of snow to build.

Sounds almost like a winter-themed People Pack in a way. :shrug_oh_well:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

You just have to think of City's Mars Mission subtheme as a barely-recognizable refugee seeking asylum, fleeing from Disney's Star Wars after being ripped from its rightful place in Lego's product line-up with no where else to go. :sad:

I can't say I'd agree there… after all, the first City Space sets came out in 2011, when Star Wars was still in hiatus between movie trilogies and LEGO Space themes were still active. And those were hardly any less futuristic/cutting-edge for their time than these are (note that despite the name of this subtheme, most of the sets focus on fairly well-established technologies like space stations and rockets, or on test/training scenarios for up-and-coming technologies).

Since then, Space-related City sets have been on a four-year refresh cycle, same as Arctic, and have fallen neatly within the "science/exploration" category of subthemes that have appeared every year since 2014. None of those trends seem like they could be linked to the activity or inactivity of the LEGO Star Wars or LEGO Space themes — rather, they seem to tie in more with the recent trendiness of toys that relate to real-world STEM fields, a trend that has also been apparent within other LEGO themes like Creator, Ideas, Friends. Even other parts of the City theme reflect this bigger trend, such as the addition of robotic or remote-operated drones to recent Fire and Police sets or the addition of geologists to recent Mining sets.

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Sounds almost like a winter-themed People Pack in a way. :shrug_oh_well:

I'd liken it more to other big sets from the Town subtheme such as 60204 City Hospital 60200 Capital City, 60097 City Square, 60026 Town Square, etc. Unlike a People Pack, this set has much more substantial non-minifigure contents like vehicles and structures, and can probably be expected to cost $100 or more.

Edited by Aanchir

From the description the set sounds really interesting! It's a pity that there won't be a cottage and a ski lift included - but that might give us the chance to see these elements maybe in some future WV set. But I've been waiting for a snow rescue theme as well as for a ski shop (even though it will for sure be only one floor big) for many years - so it's great that we'll get them!

5 hours ago, *thomas* said:

20 hours ago, TheGlynreaper said:

I knew you would complain about the rollercoaster rails you are a very boring person with no sense of imagination

learn to be a true lego fan for once

Sorry to say so, but I've noticed over the last couple of weeks in different topics that you do not respect other people's opinion. All members on this board or LEGO fans, but not every fan has to appreciate everyting lego does. I dislike many sets they made when I look at lego as an AFOL, but understand the appeal for kids.

Just let everyone be, let them express their opinion, even when it's not the same as yours. It is a discussion-board after all.

Thank you very much, *thomas*! :classic:

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

14 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I can't say I'd agree there… after all, the first City Space sets came out in 2011, when Star Wars was still in hiatus between movie trilogies and LEGO Space themes were still active. And those were hardly any less futuristic/cutting-edge for their time than these are (note that despite the name of this subtheme, most of the sets focus on fairly well-established technologies like space stations and rockets, or on test/training scenarios for up-and-coming technologies).

Since then, Space-related City sets have been on a four-year refresh cycle, same as Arctic, and have fallen neatly within the "science/exploration" category of subthemes that have appeared every year since 2014. None of those trends seem like they could be linked to the activity or inactivity of the LEGO Star Wars or LEGO Space themes — rather, they seem to tie in more with the recent trendiness of toys that relate to real-world STEM fields, a trend that has also been apparent within other LEGO themes like Creator, Ideas, Friends. Even other parts of the City theme reflect this bigger trend, such as the addition of robotic or remote-operated drones to recent Fire and Police sets or the addition of geologists to recent Mining sets.

I know, I know, of course we can't conclusively deem this year's Space subtheme as filler for any sort of in-house Space theme void, as it's more likely following in the footsteps of all the previous Exploration/STEM-based summer subthemes that we've seen from City more recently like you'd suggested. Still, I feel it may be acting to unintentionally hold over some of us Spacers. Plus, whenever we do see the next in-house Space, would you really expect it to lack fantastical conflict like this subtheme of City's? For those desiring something more akin to conflictless Classic Space (pre-Blacktron and all), I think City may be one of the only places to expect such from here on! 

Edited by Digger of Bricks

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I know, I know, of course we can't conclusively deem this year's Space subtheme as filler for any sort of in-house Space theme void, as it's more likely following in the footsteps of all the previous Exploration/STEM-based summer subthemes that we've seen from City more recently like you'd suggested. Still, I feel it may be acting to unintentionally hold over some of us Spacers. Plus, whenever we do see the next in-house Space, would you really expect it to lack fantastical conflict like this subtheme of City's? For those desiring something more akin to conflictless Classic Space (pre-Blacktron and all), I think City may be one of the only places to expect such from here on! 

*shrug* Who knows? The sets for the Systar System and Classic Space factions in The LEGO Movie 2 theme are pretty light on conflict (Sweet Mayhem has a laser gun, but so did plenty of Classic Space astronauts and ships). And there have been plenty of other recent themes that are are just as nonviolent as themes of the 1980s (if not more so), such as Friends, Mixels, Elves, Unikitty, and Hidden Side. With all that in mind, I think the chances of a low-conflict LEGO Space theme might be stronger today than they were from the mid-80s to the late naughts.

Of course, it's still unlikely to expect a sci-fi theme without ANY conflict — after all, concepts like ray guns and alien invaders have been a staple of the sci-fi genre since the late 19th century, long before humanity achieved spaceflight! Truth be told, the only reason Classic Space even had the slightest semblance of nonviolence is that back in the late 70s and early 80s, LEGO's opinions on violence in toys were preposterously extreme and often counterintuitive — they considered toy swords and axes fair game, but considered creating a LEGO skeleton a borderline firable offense, and took years to accept that smiley-faced astronauts in black spacesuits wouldn't be "too scary" for kids.

Now that LEGO has evolved beyond those kind of inflexible attitudes, they don't really have any reason to completely eschew conflict in their fantasy themes, let alone to avoid calling imaginary weapons what they are.

i have to admit that the ski resort does have a lot of appeal but i don't know whether i will get it myself as im mainly focused on 4 themes this year Jurassic world/park , hidden side , fairground rides and creator sets

truth be told my favourite summer space set is the lunar space station

13 hours ago, Aanchir said:

*shrug* Who knows? The sets for the Systar System and Classic Space factions in The LEGO Movie 2 theme are pretty light on conflict (Sweet Mayhem has a laser gun, but so did plenty of Classic Space astronauts and ships). And there have been plenty of other recent themes that are are just as nonviolent as themes of the 1980s (if not more so), such as Friends, Mixels, Elves, Unikitty, and Hidden Side. With all that in mind, I think the chances of a low-conflict LEGO Space theme might be stronger today than they were from the mid-80s to the late naughts.

Of course, it's still unlikely to expect a sci-fi theme without ANY conflict — after all, concepts like ray guns and alien invaders have been a staple of the sci-fi genre since the late 19th century, long before humanity achieved spaceflight! Truth be told, the only reason Classic Space even had the slightest semblance of nonviolence is that back in the late 70s and early 80s, LEGO's opinions on violence in toys were preposterously extreme and often counterintuitive — they considered toy swords and axes fair game, but considered creating a LEGO skeleton a borderline firable offense, and took years to accept that smiley-faced astronauts in black spacesuits wouldn't be "too scary" for kids.

Now that LEGO has evolved beyond those kind of inflexible attitudes, they don't really have any reason to completely eschew conflict in their fantasy themes, let alone to avoid calling imaginary weapons what they are.

lets hope then that a lego war of the worlds tripod will be coming then with the actual death ray or heat ray term used

15 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Well, I can think of a few ways Lego could cook-up a Space theme who's premise at least does not revolve around conflict. :wink:

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, I can think of a few ways Lego could cook-up a Space theme who's premise at least does not revolve around conflict. :wink:

Certainly they could! It's just that such a theme would probably end up a lot different than Classic Space since they would be minimizing the emphasis on conflict for a very different reason than they did back then.

For example, if they were to make a girl-targeted space theme, it could very well end up focusing on a more optimistic, aspirational vision of a future life among the stars, rather than on an aggressive, high-stakes struggle for survival in a place that feels nothing like home. Likewise, if Benny were to get a spin-off cartoon with its own tie-in theme like Unikitty has, I could see it having a greater focus on space adventure hijinks with new surprises around every corner than on a core good vs. evil conflict that drives the story forward.

Either of these scenarios could also be conducive to very different sorts of sets than the Space theme has traditionally had — instead of focusing strictly on faction-specific vehicles and only depicting the setting in actual bricks to give those factions a base of operations, a more lighthearted space exploration premise would allow a lot more room f or sets representing different planetary environments and the characters that inhabit them.

But avoiding conflict out of some belief that kids acting out conflict scenarios in play will make them more belligerent or aggressive? Or the idea that a toy even touching on concepts like war and death in a fantasy setting will desensitize kids to their real-world severity? Or that showing toy characters looking sad or angry will make kids grow up to be sad or angry? LEGO's moved far beyond all those naive assumptions.

And this isn't just a matter of LEGO relinquishing their lofty goals of being a wholesome, healthy childhood experience in the face of societal pressure, but rather, realizing that their notion of what forms of play were healthy or unhealthy was flawed to begin with. Allowing room for conflict, danger, and negative emotions in kids' pretend play and storytelling allows them a safe space to learn to understand why conficts and negative emotions happen and how they might respond to conflict scenarios or negative emotions in their own lives.

9 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Certainly they could! It's just that such a theme would probably end up a lot different than Classic Space since they would be minimizing the emphasis on conflict for a very different reason than they did back then.

For example, if they were to make a girl-targeted space theme, it could very well end up focusing on a more optimistic, aspirational vision of a future life among the stars, rather than on an aggressive, high-stakes struggle for survival in a place that feels nothing like home. Likewise, if Benny were to get a spin-off cartoon with its own tie-in theme like Unikitty has, I could see it having a greater focus on space adventure hijinks with new surprises around every corner than on a core good vs. evil conflict that drives the story forward.

Either of these scenarios could also be conducive to very different sorts of sets than the Space theme has traditionally had — instead of focusing strictly on faction-specific vehicles and only depicting the setting in actual bricks to give those factions a base of operations, a more lighthearted space exploration premise would allow a lot more room f or sets representing different planetary environments and the characters that inhabit them.

One such idea I've always fancied for a "conflictless" Space theme is one that would have a premise based upon competition and sportsmanship rather than your typical "good guys vs. bad guys" tropes. More specifically, I think a Space Racing/GARC playtheme would be seriously cool, as it could offer a most colorful assortment of wild spacecraft builds that need not be limited to any particular faction/color scheme! :purrr:

I can easily see a space theme without much conflict work, basicly all Space before Star Wars only had minor "weapons". 

Some tools from Classic Space could easily be seen as scanners, flashlights or laser cutter.

Ice Planet had chainsaws, Space Police had jail cells, things we still see in a Fire (Axes/Circular Saws) or Police(Handcuffs/Jails/Criminals) City theme now.

Conflict in themes is more of a thing of the late 90s:

• Rock Raiders had monsters
  • Aquazone had 2 distinct factions ,Aquanauts vs Aquasharks, and later the more agressive looking/weaponized Stingrays, but gathering crystals was a big part of the line.
  • 1997 had the Aquaraiders which were US only, and while they have sawblade/grinders on their vehicles, it's clearly about mining/destroying the reef (Crystal Scavenger/Aqua Dozer/Reef Wrecker are the set names)
  • Out of all the minfiigs, the Stingray faction certainly looks the most dark or evil with their red eyes.

I still never saw any of those factions as full-scale war machines meant to murder the other faction outright, but rather protect against wildlife or steal the crystals.

But I don't think any of those older themes compare to the amount of stud shooters, spring loaders and faction/character conflict we see today.

Edited by TeriXeri

ok very very interesting news for everybody my local LEGOLAND discovery centre has all the summer sets available and for sale early so I snatched up a really good amount of my wishlist the only space set I picked up for now was the lunar space station which I have just built and it is such a great fun build with some nice details on the inside and the light brick works great ,  the pieces are in 5 numbered bags and there are 4 different building instructions

the box is a bit bigger then I imagined

I also picked up the awesome donut shop opening but I will be building that tomorrow

6 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I can easily see a space theme without much conflict work, basicly all Space before Star Wars only had minor "weapons". 

Some tools from Classic Space could easily be seen as scanners, flashlights or laser cutter.

Ice Planet had chainsaws, Space Police had jail cells, things we still see in a Fire (Axes/Circular Saws) or Police(Handcuffs/Jails/Criminals) City theme now.

Conflict in themes is more of a thing of the late 90s:

• Rock Raiders had monsters
  • Aquazone had 2 distinct factions ,Aquanauts vs Aquasharks, and later the more agressive looking/weaponized Stingrays, but gathering crystals was a big part of the line.
  • 1997 had the Aquaraiders which were US only, and while they have sawblade/grinders on their vehicles, it's clearly about mining/destroying the reef (Crystal Scavenger/Aqua Dozer/Reef Wrecker are the set names)
  • Out of all the minfiigs, the Stingray faction certainly looks the most dark or evil with their red eyes.

I still never saw any of those factions as full-scale war machines meant to murder the other faction outright, but rather protect against wildlife or steal the crystals.

But I don't think any of those older themes compare to the amount of stud shooters, spring loaders and faction/character conflict we see today.

Just because older space themes didn’t have working shooters doesn’t mean they were peaceful in either appearance or intent. Even in the 80s and early 90s many ships were bristling with laser cannons. For example:

https://brickset.com/sets/6980-1/Galaxy-Commander

https://brickset.com/sets/6872-1/Xenon-X-Craft

https://brickset.com/sets/6875-1/Hovercraft

https://brickset.com/sets/6932-1/Stardefender-200

https://brickset.com/sets/6781-1/SP-Striker

https://brickset.com/sets/6810-1/Laser-Ranger

https://brickset.com/sets/6878-1/Sub-Orbital-Guardian

Even LEGO’s own history site (https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/lego-history/articles/lego-space-840679f3440c4de8ba6ce7783708808a) acknowledges this:

EDIT: whoops, messed up my quote box and can’t fix it on mobile. The quoted content ends after Knudsen’s statement, everything past that is my own thoughts.

LEGO minifigures in Blacktron wear black jumpsuits akin to military pilots with white trims and opaque black visors. They are the first group of bad guys into LEGOLAND Space rivaling the Futuron good guys. At the time the LEGO Group does not want violent conflicts in the sets, and designers of LEGOLAND Space sets are not allowed to add weapons to the models. Instead they add studs or other round pieces to the models as fantasy weapons. Designer Jens Nygaard Knudsen explains:

"We were not allowed to make weapons, and the aerials and other elements that pointed forwards on the spaceships looked too aggressive. Instead we added a lot of radar dishes and sensor probes, but to us they were really guns!"

And when you get right down to it, is a cylindrical stud shooter that fires a transparent 1x1 round plate as ammo really any more aggressive-looking than a megaphone or Space Police 3 style handle element with a transparent 1x1 round plate, round brick, or cone at the end? All that stud shooters change is giving those otherwise nondescript laser guns an actual play feature.

Certainly we can’t assume the early Space factions had outright murderous intent. But neither do many of the factions in more recent in-house themes like Exo-Force, Power Miners, Space Police 3, Alien Conquest, Ninjago, Galaxy Squad, Legends of Chima, Elves, or Nexo Knights. In a lot of cases, the worst fates that the heroes or villains are subjected to are imprisonment, enslavement, mind control, or banishment. When more perilous stakes for the heroes ARE portrayed in sets, such as being suspended over a pool of lava or a swarm of dangerous predators like sharks or crocodiles, it’s either to discourage escape attempts, to lure other heroes into a vulnerable position, or to coerce other heroes not to interfere with the villains’ schemes.

Most actual or even presumed character death in LEGO media takes the form of:

• heroic sacrifice

(e.g. Jaller, Lhikan, Matoro, Garmadon, Morro, Lucia)

• villains reaping the consequences of attempting to harness forces beyond their control

(e.g. most of the Makuta, Garmadon, Harumi, or Iron Baron)

• natural death from old age

(e.g. Dr. Julien, Emily Jones’ grandmother)

By comparison, most LEGO themes have very few actual murders or deaths in battle that don’t fall under one of those other categories. So I don’t think the idea of older LEGO spaceships not being obvious killing machines really sets them apart from vehicles in more modern themes.

Edited by Aanchir

I still think the "weapons" and violence was up to the imagination of the person with the set at hand, there was very little video promotion of LEGO back in the 80s and 90s, at least in my country where most toy commercials were localized we didn't see a whole lot of LEGO on TV.

Most we saw of LEGO was in paper catalogs and toy shop chains advertisements, usually with a peak around December.  (Dutch holiday on 5 December called Sinterklaas functioned as the moment many childrend got gifts instead of Christmas)

Even LEGO had little catalogs included in sets still.

Overall, I don't deny that Classic/90s space certainly had weapons or lasers, but the fact stands that having less media or descriptions helped the imagination somewhat.

I know many LEGO catalogs in my country didn't even have set names or much information text, usually only when a theme was new there was some brief background explanations.

Still this is a City thread so probably not the best place to discuss old themes, speaking of City "weapons" , I suppose Fire has stud/tile shooters and dropped "water" bricks from planes, and Police have nets :shrug_confused:

Edited by TeriXeri

When I was a kid browsing Brickset, I always interpreted the bits and bobs on Classic Space ships as headlights, sensors, and antennas, which is why they were left ambiguous.  Still, the only essential difference between a headlight or active sensor and a ray gun is the power you put through it and the way you focus the beam, so maybe they were both.  Sneaky Classic Spacers!  It's worth noting that the few abortive attempts at Classic Space storytelling that Lego tried back in the day used these things unambiguously as ray guns.  But that's neither here nor there.  I agree that there's plenty of ways to do non conflict based Space sets that aren't in City or Creator Expert, but for now I'm pretty happy to be getting this year's lineup.   Then let me tell you about the Overwatch spaceships ... sub in extra astronauts from the City people pack and presto, you have one of the best sci fi spaceships Lego has ever built.

12 hours ago, icm said:

Then let me tell you about the Overwatch spaceships ... sub in extra astronauts from the City people pack and presto, you have one of the best sci fi spaceships Lego has ever built.

The new Spiderman Stark Jet and 2 Avenger Quinjets (Captain Marvel + End Game sets) have nice spaceship parts as well.

But I personally don't collect licensed (fleshie) themes. And I don't buy sets to sell figures.

City Space people pack is a must-have however, possibly some other sets.

Edited by TeriXeri

So a rescue copter last year, a snow groomer earlier this year and now the best city set of 2019 it just over takes the donut shop set in a way. Dam it another 150 bucks I have to find LOL

I'm impressed with the rescue jeep with plow attachment and the ski shop plus rescue HQ look fantastic a must buy.