TheArturro

Lego City 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

Wow!  This is the set I've been waiting for.  I'm really liking this subtheme as a whole, however, this is the first set that you can incorporate into an existing city layout.  This is fantastic!

Overall I feel the Rocket Transport set is very well balanced.

Crane and Hangar + other building are still useful even outside of the Space theme. 

Vehicles are interestingly shaped, a bit more futuristic, but still fit in City.

Rocket looks a bit like a Soyuz on the back-half going by the shape and color scheme.

Front and mid-section of the rocket/shuttle part looks like it's using the same airlock parts as other Space sets of this wave.

Edited by TeriXeri

so I guess uk pricing could be around £110 - £120

fantastic set though I wonder what does the sticker say on the right of the building

3 hours ago, TheGlynreaper said:

fantastic set though I wonder what does the sticker say on the right of the building

"60229 [four/five letter word] lab". The first number is the set's ID, although I can't quite decipher the four/five letter word beneath it... It's a bit clearer at the link Digger Of Bricks provided, mind!

Edited by toastergrl

after looking at promobricks images of 60229 rocket transport Its even better than I thought , that very small robot build reminds me of something but im not sure what exactly , even though I don't follow nasa or its projects LEGO has really hit the ball out the park with this subtheme

On 4/30/2019 at 7:54 PM, TeriXeri said:

So while the exploration or resource harvesting (Moon/Mars, Asteroid mining, maybe even further missions on Europa or Titan) could certainly fit within the realm of a City-Space theme, going beyond that is better off having a seperate theme with less restrictions. 

I think to fully capture the spirit of Classic Space or 90s Space, or even Aquazone, Rock Raiders, Power Miners, not being bound to City just gives it much more freedom.

Classic Space was full of weird craft with no canopy, and it just worked, because it wasn't labeled NASA or Apollo Mission or whatever but combined the idea of future exploration with some imagination on a no-named moon or planet , later giving room for other factions or planets in the late 80s and 90s. Even the 2000s Mars themes and 2010s Alien themes could act like their own reality/timeline.

Personally, I think it'd be quite easy for the City theme to closely emulate the earliest wave of Classic Space sets in particular for another Space Exploration subtheme. In spirit, it'd just be a Lunar Outpost subtheme rather than a Mars Mission subtheme, with rovers, shuttles, payload rockets, and permanently fixed outpost structures. :shrug_oh_well:

img002.jpg

Edited by Digger of Bricks

12 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Personally, I think it'd be quite easy for the City theme to closely emulate the earliest wave of Classic Space sets in particular for another Space Exploration subtheme. In spirit, it'd just be a Lunar Outpost subtheme rather than a Mars Mission subtheme, with rovers, shuttles, payload rockets, and permanently fixed outpost structures. :shrug_oh_well:

Of course that is possible, but I don't expect no-canopy flyers in a City-Space theme :wink:

The first wave Classic Space wave definately was fairly "simple",  just exploration, gathering, bases and vehicles. I even see that in the 2019 sets

But when you do bring in factions, space police, aliens, and weird designs I still think placing the theme outside of the City line of sets is better.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

Of course that is possible, but I don't expect no-canopy flyers in a City-Space theme :wink:

Of course, hence why I excluded mentioning them. While I know others have a soft spot for those, I myself am not as keen about "flyers" compared to the shuttles and rovers Classic Space & Company rather offered. :shrug_oh_well:

5 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

But when you do bring in factions, space police, aliens, and weird designs I still think placing the theme outside of the City line of sets is better.

Seriously, it's not like Lego would actually replace the anthology of Space themes we've had so far with these subthemes of City's, nor do I personally consider any of City's subthemes to be a part of such. 

There's plenty of room for no-canopy flyers in a lunar exploration theme under the City umbrella, or even in a low Earth-orbit theme of that style.  There are quite a few Apollo-era concepts for no-canopy lunar flyers, after all.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Of course, hence why I excluded mentioning them. While I know others have a soft spot for those, I myself am not as keen about "flyers" compared to the shuttles and rovers Classic Space & Company rather offered. :shrug_oh_well:

Seriously, it's not like Lego would actually replace the anthology of Space themes we've had so far with these subthemes of City's, nor do I personally consider any of City's subthemes to be a part of such. 

Agreed.

2 hours ago, icm said:

There's plenty of room for no-canopy flyers in a lunar exploration theme under the City umbrella, or even in a low Earth-orbit theme of that style.  There are quite a few Apollo-era concepts for no-canopy lunar flyers, after all.

Classic Space did have some design like a Lunar Flying Unit/Rocket Chair  or Moon Buggy, and there have been many Moon Buggy sets all over Town & City Space.

6806-1.jpg 6826-1.jpg 

I mostly meant the more "fantasy" classic space designs that don't really fit in a City theme, they still fit perfectly fine in a regular Space theme.

Something like this evolved into the most recent mini-shuttle and that's fine how they designed it for a bit more realism under City :thumbup: 

6825-1.jpg  6845-1.jpg 60224-1.jpg?201904230840

Edited by TeriXeri

The Rocket Transportation set looks excellent, a definite buy. Did others notice it comes with a green brick seperator, which is currently quite rare? Wondering if they are going to switch the color up across the board.

That set has that Gerry Anderson Thunderbirds feel to it.

Now classic space is city, what's next classic castle or pirates ?

How big a sub-theme do we think the new Space sets will be? Do we think it’ll just be the 7 sets or do we think there will be further sets of a same style? As I’m loving the fact these look like current nasa, spacex craft and suggestions

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

How big a sub-theme do we think the new Space sets will be? Do we think it’ll just be the 7 sets or do we think there will be further sets of a same style? As I’m loving the fact these look like current nasa, spacex craft and suggestions

I think it'll be 1 wave like the previous City subthemes.

Space (2011-2015-2019) , Arctic (2014-2018) and Coast Guard (2008-2013-2017) have been returning every few years with 1 wave per half-year.

While not all half-years have a subtheme, 2018 had Mining and Arctic , however 2019 got new Fire sets instead.

For Winter 2020, we might get a refresh on the standard City Police (following the pattern of 2005-2008-2011-2014-2017-2020?) and another Subtheme.

Fire and Police main themes seem to be on 3 year cycles, but Police has it's specialized subthemes inbetween (Swamp, Mountain, Prison Island, Sky etc)

As for predictions for the 2020 subtheme, it could be Airport (last seen in 2016), possibly to compliment the Sky Police theme still on shelves, or something entirely different that we might or might not have seen.

Personally I hope for a return of the Farm subtheme, with a Farm people pack with some animals in it. Harvester Transport should still be on shelves for 2020 as well.

Also the question remains if the Space People pack is a 1 time thing or going to be more used for City "jobs" subthemes. Beside the usual "fun in the xxx" pack.

Edited by TeriXeri

8 hours ago, lightningtiger said:

Now classic space is city, what's next classic castle or pirates?

Well, like I'd said previously, I highly doubt this subtheme would be considered a part of the "Classic Space" pantheon of themes; but, regarding that latter suggestion, I could see Classic Castle and/or Pirates being sorta represented by City through potential Archaeology subthemes for the future! :shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

How big a sub-theme do we think the new Space sets will be? Do we think it’ll just be the 7 sets or do we think there will be further sets of a same style?

Like the other Space and Exploration subthemes City has given us in years past, I don't think we'll be seeing further additions to this particular wave, but rather a more general revisitation of Space in some other form/incarnation, likely four years from now come Summer 2022.

22 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I could see Classic Castle and/or Pirates being sorta represented by City through potential Archaeology subthemes for the future! :shrug_oh_well:

After City-Jungle I could certainly see some Desert Exploration subtheme (Egypt inspired) at some point.

Maybe some throwbacks to Adventurers/Pharao's Quest too in design but without the huge monsters or mummy army :wink: (2019 already has desert snake enemies anyway for Ninjago)

We even got a dune buggy/scorpion in City this year.

This part 30149.t1.png is seen again in the Hidden Side theme so the mould is still being there to be used.

Edited by TeriXeri

34 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

After City-Jungle I could certainly see some Desert Exploration subtheme (Egypt inspired) at some point.

Maybe some throwbacks to Adventurers/Pharao's Quest too in design but without the huge monsters or mummy army :wink: (2019 already has desert snake enemies anyway for Ninjago)

While I too am totally game for a City subtheme such as that, regarding archaeological representation of Lego's Classic Castle and Pirate themes within City, I could also see City's Construction and Submarine subthemes respectively incorporating castle ruins and pirate shipwreck discovery and exploration into their premises for future iterations of such, as they're both scenarios can plausibly happen within "city limits" so to speak. :shrug_oh_well:

14 hours ago, Vorkosigan said:

The Rocket Transportation set looks excellent, a definite buy. Did others notice it comes with a green brick seperator, which is currently quite rare? Wondering if they are going to switch the color up across the board.

It's not green but teal (Bright Bluish Green/Dark Turquoise), which is a new color for the brick separator as of this year. It's been in 9 or 10 of the sets released so far.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

While I too am totally game for a City subtheme such as that, regarding archaeological representation of Lego's Classic Castle and Pirate themes within City, I could also see City's Construction and Submarine subthemes respectively incorporating castle ruins and pirate shipwreck discovery and exploration into their premises for future iterations of such, as they're both scenarios can plausibly happen within "city limits" so to speak. :shrug_oh_well:

Yeah, if Friends can manage to include not one but two pirate ships in this year's sets (one as an underwater shipwreck and one as an amusement park attraction), City could probably manage either of those things about as easily.

In general, I don't see much likelihood of these types of sets standing in the way of more fantasy, historic, or sci-fi oriented themes, particularly since most City subthemes besides Police, Town, and Great Vehicles only get a full wave of sets every three or four years at the very most. Plus, it's not as though in the past we've seen a strong indication of most of these themes being ruled out by similar subject matter in other themes. Alien Conquest launched the same year as the FIRST incarnation of LEGO City's Space subtheme. The 2013 Castle sets came out the same year as other castles in themes like The Hobbit and Legends of Chima.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if overlap between themes might sometimes give LEGO even more options when they reintroduce classic themes. For example, the 2015 LEGO Pirates revival was able to make use of the redesigned LEGO shark, sawfish, and crocodile pieces that first appeared in the 2014 and 2015 Coast Guard, Deep Sea Explorers, and Swamp Police subthemes of City, as well as the redesigned rowboat piece that first appeared in one of the previous year's Disney Princess sets.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:16 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Because, they're supposed to be "Inspired by NASA" and all? :def_shrug:

On 5/1/2019 at 11:26 AM, Aanchir said:

What's more, the choice of the blue color seems to be based on the various blue suits NASA has used for training versions of spacesuits, such the ones from the Apollo program, the 70s Manned Orbiting Laboratory program, and the recently cancelled Constellation program. The most significant difference between these and the versions actually used in or intended for use in space missions is that they lack the protective outer layer which typically gives NASA extravehicular spacesuits their final white or orange color. As such, it makes sense that this suit shows up in a set specifically featuring other Earth-based training equipment.

I didn't realize how closely these sets were following actual NASA suit colors. I guess I can grudgingly accept that, rather than what I think looks cooler.

Still, that sand blue with orange visor color scheme isn't very close to the real training suit, which is dark blue with a non-colored visor. I like it a lot though, and I wish it came in more sets. 

47 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

It's not green but teal (Bright Bluish Green/Dark Turquoise), which is a new color for the brick separator as of this year. It's been in 9 or 10 of the sets released so far.

I guess I'm behind the times here, but I'm not sure about your 9/10 assertion. Looking at all the sets on the first page of S@H's "NEW" list I see 9 orange separators and 2 teal ones. 

Unless you're saying it is randomly coming in a large proportion of sets regardless of what the photos show. 

Edited by Vorkosigan

8 minutes ago, Vorkosigan said:

I guess I'm behind the times here, but I'm not sure about your 9/10 assertion. Looking at all the sets on the first page of S@H's "NEW" list I see 9 orange separators and 2 teal ones. 

Unless you're saying it is randomly coming in a large proportion of sets regardless of what the photos show. 

I guess maybe it only shows up in alternate photos for some of the sets and not the main photos? Or maybe it's just not in any of the pics they chose to upload? Or maybe it's just that now that we're 5 months into the year, a lot of the sets it has appeared in are no longer featured in the Shop site's "New" category.

In any case, it appears in these 9 sets according to Brickset (which pulls its inventories from the LEGO Customer Service site): https://brickset.com/sets/containing-part-6254100

Besides the rocket transport, other upcoming sets for which we've seen official pics showing this brick separator color include Hogwarts Clock Tower, Dual Rotor Helicopter, Heartlake City Fairground Pier, Heartlake City Restaurant, Rescue Center Lighthouse, Rescue Boat, Deep Space Rocket and Launch Control, and Castle of the Forsaken Emperor. I'm sure we'll see even more of it as time goes on!