TheArturro

Lego City 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

The Brick Fan - More LEGO City Summer 2019 Official Set Images

LEGO City Donut Shop Opening (60233)

P.S. That usage of the Earth Blue Technic wheel-well for the Donut Shop there is unexpectedly clever. :shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:
7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Damn, there's a bit to go around in this particular set as far as new hairpiece recolors go! Not only is that new curly bun hairpiece pretty sweet, Superman's classic hairpiece has been recolored in DARK BROWN!!! :excited:

Oh, in case both @Exetrius and @cebelicamya haven't yet seen this set yet for particular reasons... :wink:

I like the look of these new sets I’ll definitely try and get both people packs. :wub:

I was literally just thinking about the fact that Lego doesn’t use hairpieces that were introduced to represent specific races in non licensed sets such as City yesterday. But the fairground sets give us two existing hair pieces that had only been used for the Black Panther sets and also a new peice which is awesome. I thought it may have been a licensing issue, but now we know it isn’t I really hope we see these pieces used more and more in other themes!

Edited by Foxes Productionz

There’s a lot to like! The new overalls print with the dark orange(I think) in the 4+ Garage set. That coffee cup in the fire chief car is fantastic. A lot of those prints in the Fair pack, and that new black hairpiece is lovely. Lastly, that pedal cart!

One rather large gripe I have, is with the “donut” shop. Why is it yet another coffee shop?! I get that coffe shops sell donuts...but why would a coffee shop have a massive donut signage atop it. Still buying it of course. I’d love if that crane truck & motorcycle cop weren’t there though. 

Edited by Vindicare

Does anyone know what happened with 60229 space set (Rocket Transport)? I think it was on Brickset before the images were released and now it is gone...

I have no interest in space so will not get that people pack, but interesting they make two in one year :thumbup: Do not have the fairground sets either, but I guess I will get that people pack anyway.. No animals in city this year so I probably save my money for HP, maybe we get farm, zoo,  safari etc sets next year (one can dream) :tongue:

On 4/22/2019 at 8:19 PM, TeriXeri said:

The top looks like a white recolored Nexo Knight Helmet, however the shape of the visor opening/chinstrap is different

Alright, here's a better image of it, and it look all-new to me! *oh2*

LEGO-City-Space-Summer-2019-60230-People-Pack-Space-Research-and-Development-6.jpg

The new wheel arch piece looks like a recolour of the Corvette piece which is the small of the technic arches. gives new oportunities for more models

28 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Alright, here's a better image of it, and it look all-new to me! *oh2*

Yes definately a new helmet.

Not sure if that chest/shoulder armor is new as well.

Overall they made a lot of helmet/shoulder armors over the recent years.

It seems to combine a Skeleton torso with Squire Bot legs.

Edited by TeriXeri

The similarities of the robonaut helmet and armor with Nexo Knights pieces makes me wonder if they are designs that were planned for later Nexo waves that never happened, and that they saw a chance to reuse.

6 hours ago, meliander said:

Does anyone know what happened with 60229 space set (Rocket Transport)? I think it was on Brickset before the images were released and now it is gone...

Before the images were released the previously rumored space people pack was also absent from Brickset, so it's still possible there's some substance to the rocket transport rumor.  Maybe it's for fall release instead of summer?

You know it's amazing those shops in the Donut shop set remind me of the designs that scored 10000 supporters back on Lego Ideas a long, long time ago.

I'm sold on the fire truck, fairground people pack and of course the Donut shop opening set......apart from that I'll be saving my money the space stuff holds no interest for me at all.

amazing city line for this summer , extremely happy that city is recovering finally .

what happened to the rocket transporter ??? this one supposed to be a plane to carry the rockets and shuttles ?  maybe a store exclusive ?

16 hours ago, icm said:

Before the images were released the previously rumored space people pack was also absent from Brickset, so it's still possible there's some substance to the rocket transport rumor.  Maybe it's for fall release instead of summer?

I hope that's the case. Really looking forward to that subtheme.

im really really impressed by the donut shop set for some reason I expected that to be part of a £30-£40 set but im glad its not

I love the space research center and moon base sets too and ill likely be buying both people packs as well

with that brick built donut though you can now even make your own lard lad donuts from the simpsons

The rocket from the space research center also seems to use those new 'airlock' pieces that the space station also uses several of. They are light grey in the space station but I don't know whether they are light or dark grey on the rocket. They appear to be used to connect the different modules of the rocket together. If that is the case, you can probably attach the longest module of the space station in between the rocket modules to 'send it to space' (the longest module of the space station has the airlocks on two sides). Perhaps you can also attach the little shuttle that comes with the space station, onto the top of the rocket instead of the default conical crew module.

The summer lineup looks really good.  My son is salivating at the Space sets, especially the space station one.  He is saving money for the Disney world trip for the visit to the Disney Springs Lego Store.  I like the townhouse, the rocket ride, and the 3-in-1 cabin.  There will definitely be some tough choices to make in June.  

What really gets me is how unbelievably good that light blue & transparent orange space man looks, and how great of a color scheme that is, and how they didn't use that for any other vehicle/set/figure in the line. 

Like, why did they show they can make an awesome and exciting color scheme, and then pick the most boring colors ever for the actual sets?

52 minutes ago, danth said:

What really gets me is how unbelievably good that light blue & transparent orange space man looks, and how great of a color scheme that is, and how they didn't use that for any other vehicle/set/figure in the line. 

Like, why did they show they can make an awesome and exciting color scheme, and then pick the most boring colors ever for the actual sets?

Because, they're supposed to be "Inspired by NASA" and all? :def_shrug:

Yeah, I too had my heart set upon a vehicular color scheme more evocative of Classic Space & Company for such a line of City sets; but, since I've long pressed for a extraterrestrial exploration subtheme for City previously here in the past, I'm kinda just happy they actually went there in spite of my idealized vision of such! I mean, they could've gave us yet another "Spaceport" subtheme for the third time, but they didn't! :thumbup: :grin:

P.S. Maybe next time around (four years from now), we'll see another subtheme from City that's a little closer to Classic Space in spirit! :wink:

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

P.S. Maybe next time around (four years from now), we'll see another subtheme from City that's a little closer to Classic Space in spirit! :wink:

I do think a colony based City-Space Subtheme could work, but even so, this wave could be easily modified into some Martian or Lunar based outpost instead of floating in space.

The Space Station is sort of modular so I'm sure people will expand it with multiples (or alternate builds), and unless they hang it on some thread it might as well be displayed at some "surface" of whatever moon/planet :thumbup:

The Geode piece certainly is a nice addition possibility to some exploration or mining related sets.

Classic Space used like 1x1 plates as samples, so the geode is a nice modern version for sure. At least it's better scaled to like split by a minifig tool (drill/laser), instead of those big half-round boulders that were used for ages in Arctic/Volcano/Mining that only look good when machinery is used.

So while the exploration or resource harvesting (Moon/Mars, Asteroid mining, maybe even further missions on Europa or Titan) could certainly fit within the realm of a City-Space theme, going beyond that is better off having a seperate theme with less restrictions. 

I think to fully capture the spirit of Classic Space or 90s Space, or even Aquazone, Rock Raiders, Power Miners, not being bound to City just gives it much more freedom.

Classic Space was full of weird craft with no canopy, and it just worked, because it wasn't labeled NASA or Apollo Mission or whatever but combined the idea of future exploration with some imagination on a no-named moon or planet , later giving room for other factions or planets in the late 80s and 90s. Even the 2000s Mars themes and 2010s Alien themes could act like their own reality/timeline.

So my final word , LEGO Space has 3 categories for me :

• City-Space (a recurring subtheme of Town, and City)
  • Space (Aquazone/Rock Raiders/Power Miners type themes could fit under the wider umbrella, even the Agents themes in relation to Alien Conquest)
  • Star Wars

Of course, in the end this is all LEGO, so you could turn pretty much anything into your own "theme".

Edited by TeriXeri

20 hours ago, danth said:

I don't really see what's any more awesome and exciting about a Light Royal Blue spacesuit than the Bright Orange spacesuits with Dark Orange printing worn by the astronauts in several of these sets. After all, these are the first primarily orange spacesuits in any theme besides Ideas and Galaxy Squad, despite orange being a fairly common spacesuit color both in real life and fiction.

What's more, the choice of the blue color seems to be based on the various blue suits NASA has used for training versions of spacesuits, such the ones from the Apollo program, the 70s Manned Orbiting Laboratory program, and the recently cancelled Constellation program. The most significant difference between these and the versions actually used in or intended for use in space missions is that they lack the protective outer layer which typically gives NASA extravehicular spacesuits their final white or orange color. As such, it makes sense that this suit shows up in a set specifically featuring other Earth-based training equipment.

I'll grant you that Transparent Bright Orange is a more unique visor color, though! And probably a closer approximation of the brownish or gold reflective coating that real space helmet visors often have to protect the wearer's eyesight.

Side note, I probably just wasn't paying close enough attention before, but I just first noticed that the new white space helmets worn by both the Light Royal Blue suited and Bright Orange suited astronaut figures are 2K (two-component) molds with a black stripe near the back of the neck. Neat!

21 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I do think a colony based City-Space Subtheme could work, but even so, this wave could be easily modified into some Martian or Lunar based outpost instead of floating in space.

The Space Station is sort of modular so I'm sure people will expand it with multiples (or alternate builds), and unless they hang it on some thread it might as well be displayed at some "surface" of whatever moon/planet :thumbup:

The Geode piece certainly is a nice addition possibility to some exploration or mining related sets.

Classic Space used like 1x1 plates as samples, so the geode is a nice modern version for sure. At least it's better scaled to like split by a minifig tool (drill/laser), instead of those big half-round boulders that were used for ages in Arctic/Volcano/Mining that only look good when machinery is used.

So while the exploration or resource harvesting (Moon/Mars, Asteroid mining, maybe even further missions on Europa or Titan) could certainly fit within the realm of a City-Space theme, going beyond that is better off having a seperate theme with less restrictions. 

I think to fully capture the spirit of Classic Space or 90s Space, or even Aquazone, Rock Raiders, Power Miners, not being bound to City just gives it much more freedom.

Classic Space was full of weird craft with no canopy, and it just worked, because it wasn't labeled NASA or Apollo Mission or whatever but combined the idea of future exploration with some imagination on a no-named moon or planet , later giving room for other factions or planets in the late 80s and 90s. Even the 2000s Mars themes and 2010s Alien themes could act like their own reality/timeline.

So my final word , LEGO Space has 3 categories for me :

• City-Space (a recurring subtheme of Town, and City)
  • Space (Aquazone/Rock Raiders/Power Miners type themes could fit under the wider umbrella, even the Agents themes in relation to Alien Conquest)
  • Star Wars

Of course, in the end this is all LEGO, so you could turn pretty much anything into your own "theme".

It also looks like the Space Station set might also interconnect with the 2014 Arctic Base set, which always had a space base vibe to it. 

Promobricks just posted pictures of 60229 Rocket Transport.

Check out the pictures here.

I really like it a lot. The rocket looks much better then in the Launch Set, the crawler reminds me of 6950 Mobil rocket transport but in huge. There is also a hangar for the rover, which can be stored in the rocket via a loading crane. And a small mission control center. It's the ultimate playset in the City Space theme. I love it.

Edited by Sinthoras

That set is magnificent!  Wow...this year we get unofficial Lego versions of SLS, Dream Chaser, Lunar Orbital Platform - Gateway, Athlete rovers, Watney's rover, Robonaut 2, and astronauts in realistic blue, orange, and sand blue outfits that we've never had before.  Even if filtered through City rather than Ideas, this is an embarrassment of NASA-inspired Space riches.  That rocket transport reminds me a lot of an old episode from Thunderbirds where a rocket transport crosses a bridge that can't sustain its weight, so the spacecraft ends up in the river.  Now I want to pair it with the huge City bridge transport that was released about ten years ago.  Just need to build a commensurately-sized Thunderbird 4 to complete the scene.