TheArturro

Lego City 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

23 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Technically they're supposed to be inspired after real-life conceptual proposals for such from NASA; but, most importantly, they can serve as close-enough representation for generic SciFi-esque Space while any sort of proper Space theme is absent for the time being (for whatever reason that may be).

Ah, if something is on the drawing board doesn't make it real life. I feel this is just Lego's cheap attempt at being a follower not leader in the toy race.

I'll reserve final judgement until I see the actual sets but the preliminary renders are pretty uninspiring. I might Bricklink a couple of the minifigs but probably won't spend for the sets.

At this point I'm MUCH more interested in the NASA branded torso that popped up on IG last week.

3 minutes ago, lightningtiger said:

Ah, if something is on the drawing board doesn't make it real life. I feel this is just Lego's cheap attempt at being a follower not leader in the toy race.

Fair enough, but where else may we expect to see (at the very least) generic SciFi-esque Space from Lego beyond Star Wars? Like I had said...

23 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Technically they're supposed to be inspired after real-life conceptual proposals for such from NASA; but, most importantly, they can serve as close-enough representation for generic SciFi-esque Space while any sort of proper Space theme is absent for the time being (for whatever reason that may be).

If there is any other preexisting haven for such beyond City, Creator Three-In-One and/or Expert is pretty much it. :def_shrug:

On 4/2/2019 at 7:55 AM, lightningtiger said:

Wouldn't making sets of concept space vehicles before they become mainstream be the opposite — being a leader rather than a follower? I mean, I can't say it would be a testament to LEGO's "leadership" to make yet another Space Shuttle or Ares-esque rockets like past City sets (and any number of other companies' space toys) have already done.

A decade ago space sets would be in the sci-fi forum now it's in town forum, I will know Lego have lost the plot when they have medieval buildings with the city tag on the box art.

7 hours ago, lightningtiger said:

A decade ago space sets would be in the sci-fi forum now it's in town forum, I will know Lego have lost the plot when they have medieval buildings with the city tag on the box art.

A decade ago, Space Port sets would indeed have probably gone in town. Two decades ago, the same probably would have applied to Launch Command. "Real-life" based space sets in the City/Town theme are not really a new thing—the only difference in this case is that the sets are based on real NASA concepts for a Mars expedition as opposed to existing NASA technologies or missions.

I know I've seen people in the Sci-Fi forum complain about themes like Mars Mission and Life on Mars not being "real" space themes due to taking place in our local solar system instead of deep space. So it's a little rich to see Space envy now that Lego's doing a more grounded take on that idea in the City theme.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

I know I've seen people in the Sci-Fi forum complain about themes like Mars Mission and Life on Mars not being "real" space themes due to taking place in our local solar system instead of deep space. So it's a little rich to see Space envy now that Lego's doing a more grounded take on that idea in the City theme.

Besides, Lego seemingly can't venture into "deep space" at least until after Star Wars' Ep. IX blows over. After Solo, not much as been said about Star Wars' future right after the wrap-up of the Sequel Trilogy, with no news about further development of anthology spin-offs or those other two trilogies they had announced intentions for. :def_shrug:

I for one like the new space sets, I don’t think it should matter at all if it’s based on concept or reality, or if it belongs in the sci-fi or town/city designation. I just appreciate a good set

11 hours ago, lightningtiger said:

I mean…

And yeah, I'm with Lyi on this one. The tendency in AFOL communities to try and set strict limits on what is or isn't fair game for a "real" Space set or Castle set or Town/City set has always been tiresome. If you follow all the strict rules various people here on Eurobricks have set for what is or isn't a space theme, there haven't been any LEGO Space themes in over two decades! Life on Mars and Mars Mission don't count because they were in our solar system and not "deep space". Space Police 3 doesn't count because the bad guy vehicles are Earth-inspired and an Earth-like planet shows up in the background of some of the box art. Alien Conquest doesn't count because it featured a faction from deep space trying to conquer/colonize/invade the Earth, rather than the other way around. Galaxy Squad doesn't count because it was basically just an action theme in space, not a space theme (there's a difference… somehow). I'm sure if you dig back into the old pre-Eurobricks community sites like Lugnet you might even find equally nonsensical justifications for why U.F.O. and Insectoids aren't real space themes.

It's been kind of hilarious this year to see comments these days full of nostalgia for 2009 based on the notion that it was the last time there'd been new waves of Pirates, Space, and Castle sets (as well as lots of other licensed and non-licensed themes AFOLs today miss like Bionicle, Indiana Jones, Power Miners, and Agents) all at the same time. Do you know what people here were actually saying about a lot of that kind of stuff in 2009?

…I swear, I didn't set out to share so many quotes hating on Fantasy Era, but it turns out that around 2009 the site was practically flooded with them. *huh*

The reality is that LEGO can't really push their sets in successful and unexpected new directions like they have time and time again with many of their most successful themes like City, Friends, Ninjago, or Creator while also remaining beholden to AFOL communities' often downright unimaginative mandates for what should or shouldn't be included in any given theme. That would just lead to LEGO declining in relevance as new ideas are rejected in favor of the type of stuff that even back in the 80s was becoming overshadowed in kids' toys and media by brands like Voltron, He-Man, G.I. Joe, Transformers, etc. that synthesized concepts familiar to kids in new and unexpected ways.

Someone pass me a Lego knife. Perhaps we can cut out some of this tension!

Edited by fordtruckin

I agree with @Aanchir . A lot of people on here forget, or fail to acknowledge, that the target market for these sets doesn't care about realism as much as they care about how it sparks imagination. I'm guilty of this from time to time...I remember posting something about Sky Police not being realistic. But the fact remains kids probably really dig these subthemes. My son is a bit younger than the City theme right now but if I bought him a set with 2 planes or a rocket ship and rovers he'd lose his mind and play for hours. So instead of going on about how Lego has lost the plot or becoming disconnected from the consumers remember who these sets are designed for. It's not us.

Or, I dunno, buy the sets and make them into what you want them to be...we're only talking about, arguably, the most versatile building toy ever conceived. 

3 hours ago, CDM said:

Or, I dunno, buy the sets and make them into what you want them to be...we're only talking about, arguably, the most versatile building toy ever conceived. 

I remember turning my aquashark submarine (the neon orange cockpit+black seating area was the perfect shape) into aircraft at the time using the Galaxy Explorer wing plates.

Also used the raised baseplate from the Islanders big set to built structures on and make bridge traps with a croc or shark beneath.

Mixing themes was and remains great part of LEGO.

I saw some old LEGO space commercial video today and even there they had some custom alternate builds shown, and remember alternate builds used to be on the back of boxes.

Now I currently have to admit all my sets since 2015 (Nexo Knights/City/Creator) are still in their original form, but once I get organized I plan to MOC/Rebuilt some. (I keep my old pre-2000s LEGO at a seperate location)

Edited by TeriXeri

Finally Just saw the leaks and love the designs! 

Here are a few quick notes of mine:
-The smaller space shuttle set is great and amazing for its size! I honestly wasn't expecting much if it did go down and somewhat wondered if the rover was switched with it before this.
-The rover I'm a bit mixed on as it feels a bit off, want to see this one in a less prelim form
-The Lunar space station, love this and how it seems to be based off the Lunar Gateway that should be being worked on in the next decade. This one is my favorite.
-The larger space shuttle is great, front feels a bit like the Quinjets from Marvel, but that doesn't hurt it.
-The space launch base, love the featuring of the SLS rocket that is being made currently

Overall noting where things are heading the next decade I'd say this line is perfect for City, as its inclusion makes perfect sense.

Edited by jhuyser

Description of the set 60227 Lunar Space Station.
Found on Rakuten.fr

Description:

LEGO® City Space Agency is recruiting! The children can join the astronauts and the team of the lunar space station and prepare to explore or search for geodes. After work, it's time to relax and eat a pizza in front of the TV before going for some sport on the treadmill or going to bed in the antigravity bed. Then the astronauts will put on their suit and fly aboard the Space Shuttle to collect geodes to bring back to Earth. By the way ! Did you know that this set of games is inspired by the real missions of NASA? Great, huh?

Product composition:

• Includes 4 LEGO® City minifigures: 2 astronauts and 2 crew members, plus one robot.

• This space station game includes 3 detachable modules with removable roofs, a living room module with a treadmill, an anti-gravity bed and a TV screen, a lab module with a light brick and search tools, a kitchen module with plants and a pizza oven, plus a central airlock. The modules can be assembled in different ways around the central airlock or above it.

• This NASA-inspired astronaut game also includes a detachable satellite with collapsible solar panels, as well as a space shuttle with storage space and an opening cockpit.

• Accessories include repair tools, a pizza, 2 geodes with blue crystals (New in June 2019), a helmet with a blue visor and a combination of extravehicular activity with a golden visor, plus a brick separator.

• The LEGO® Life app provides intuitive PLUS Instructions. It helps builders, even the youngest ones, in the build process, with zoom, rotation, and ghost functions to view their creations.

• The LEGO® Life app can be downloaded from the Android or iOS app store. Children will need to ask permission from their parents before logging on.

• This fun building game with an amazing space station is a wonderful gift for kids.

• The shuttle is over 4 cm high, 12 cm long and 12 cm wide.

• The satellite is more than 3 cm high, 5 cm long and 17 cm wide.

• The kitchen module is more than 7 cm high, 13 cm long and 8 cm wide.

• The lab module is more than 7 cm high, 7 cm wide and 6 cm deep.

• The living room module is more than 7 cm high, 7 cm wide and 6 cm deep.

• The central airlock is 7 cm high, 11 cm long and 17 cm wide.

8 minutes ago, DarkStar1991 said:

Found on Rakuten.fr

Is this for the orbital space station? Because it looked to me like that only had two modules and a small ship, plus a solar panel array . . three would make it much better, though! Maybe the third's hidden around the back . . .

2 hours ago, DarkStar1991 said:

Found on Rakuten.fr

Wait, it's a LUNAR Space Station?!!! *huh* :distressed:

2 hours ago, DarkStar1991 said:

Accessories include repair tools, a pizza, 2 geodes with blue crystals (New in June 2019), a helmet with a blue visor and a combination of extravehicular activity with a golden visor, plus a brick separator.

Huh, I'm wondering how those new crystal molds will look. :shrug_oh_well:

That must be an artifact of translation.  Remember, the description came from a French web site.  I don't know French, but in Spanish the word juego refers both to a "game," as in a "game of soccer," and to a "set," as in a "set of tools," etc.  I imagine the French product description uses a similar word to juego.

3 hours ago, legobear said:

¿Las fugas de espacio todavía viven?  

The images of the sets have been removed except the images of the minifigures.

60224:  The ship looks the shape of a triangle.  I'm so pleased the windscreen isn't the typical one piece shuttle/airplane windscreens of previous shuttles we see in all sub themes of city.  I like the addition of the small satellite to work on.  The astronaut has golden visors again but I'm not liking the space suit jet pack at all - they reused the space pack again from set 60080.  I really don't like the hallow technic hole behind his head that allows for attachments because if you don't attach anything it looks like he has a giant hallow tube on the back of the head.  I wish they could find a better solution to this because it really does look off.  However, I like the orange accents to the black and white.  We finally have a true new Lego inspired shuttle : ).  This one should be quite popular.  

Edited by legobear
More information found