TheArturro

Lego City 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

15 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I've heard they're supposed to be "inspired" after NASA, but branded as such too?! :wacko:

Huh, so, what else did this IG description offer? I can't seem to find it myself. :shrug_confused:

Think I've found the Instagram description. I've sent it to you on IG. It mentions that the boxes for the space sets will carry a sticker saying "inspired by NASA" or words to that effect. So I don't think the models themselves will carry any NASA branding. It sounds as if it's just a note on the packaging to let people know these are supposed to be inspired by the 50th anniversary of the Apollo noon landing.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

There is a description on Instagram

It seems these are actually licensed set, because they come with the NASA logo

Hope they would make a actual NASA 747 to transport the space shuttle 

Edited by danimarroquin

28 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Think I've found the Instagram description. I've sent it to you on IG.

You have? I've been waiting for a notification there, yet still nothing. :def_shrug:

12 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

You have? I've been waiting for a notification there, yet still nothing. :def_shrug:

It's showing up as sent.  I've just tried sending it again.

The five Mars mission sets are based on the Apollo moon landing 50 years ago and are available from June. Matthias has asked again: There are no license sets, but each box has the inscription "inspired by NASA".

In addition to the smaller kits, which just do well in combination, the highlight is the mission space research rocket control center. It is possible to integrate with the LEGO Life App, because the smartphone can be pushed into the ward and is then almost the control screen. In addition, gray roller coaster rails are used, along with the small gradient elements. but: There is no full loop. The rocket is kept very narrow, above is the "glassy" printed cockpit element of the little hawks used. The mission can start!

The series is flanked by three sets. The truck and the gas station are rather simple and certainly suitable for the young construction offspring. The donut shop opening, however, immediately aroused desires. Included are a small toy shop, a TV team, the police, a compact crane truck and the Rundstein, which celebrated its premiere in the VW Beetle 10252 set - so now it's time for a bite!

Great! The meanwhile fourth city dweller set - again an accumulation of interesting minifigures. Also on board are again small structures, including an ice cream van, a "Hau den Lukas" stand, a duck game with rings and a game in which must be fired at three printed round tiles. In addition, a colleague is on stilts. The scenario is reminiscent of the LEGO Fairground Ride 10244.

3 hours ago, Calunca said:

The rocket is kept very narrow, above is the "glassy" printed cockpit element of the little hawks used. 

I know it's a translation, but, what the heck is that supposed to mean? :wacko: :def_shrug:

It means that the rocket uses the same cockpit element as the System-scale Millennium Falcon.  Google Translate renders "Falke," i.e., "Falcon" as "hawk" when it translates the Zusammengebaut article about the sets which produced the most revenue in 2018, one of which was the UCS Millennium Falcon.  The same word "Falke" is used in the article about the City space sets.

Edited by icm

7 minutes ago, icm said:

It means that the rocket uses the same cockpit element as the System-scale Millennium Falcon.  Google Translate renders "Falke," i.e., "Falcon" as "hawk" when it translates the Zusammengebaut article about the sets which produced the most revenue in 2018, one of which was the UCS Millennium Falcon.  The same word "Falke" is used in the article about the City space sets.

So, "glassy" has to be implying that part in question is transparent rather than a solid color, right? Plus, it's likely to be the smaller MF canopy part rather than the newer, larger one utilized by the 2017 UCS set, I guess? :shrug_confused:

If the City rocket uses the Falcon cockpit element, I wonder how much it'll resemble this MOC by @Murdoch17:

1950's retro rocket - real life 3831 / 4981 MOC model - main

Hey, has anyone here taken note of Playmobil's own line of "Mars Mission" playsets for this year? *huh*

Playmobil Shop - Space

KATALOG_US_2019_page14?w=1280&qlt=100

18 minutes ago, icm said:

If the City rocket uses the Falcon cockpit element, I wonder how much it'll resemble this MOC by @Murdoch17:

Man, I'd love to see something that retro from Lego, but my guess is that it'll be more akin to 7315 Solar Explorer.

7315-1.jpg?200010221200

It's often said on this forum at Lego and Playmobil are direct competitors, but I've never quite believed it until now.  The upcoming City space "Mars Mission" line is obviously meant to directly compete with the Playmobil line.  Thanks for bringing that up!  My guess is that the Lego sets will look very similar....

I don't expect that the City rocket will look much like 7315, because the Millennium Falcon cockpit part used since 2004 has a very different shape and attachment method than the Millennium Falcon cockpit part used in 2000 (and in 7315).  It's much better suited to a tail-sitting cylindrical rocket than to a belly-landing space plane.  Then again, the Resistance Bomber integrated that part with an airplane-style fuselage pretty well.

Hmm ... so the rocket that comes with the surface base uses the Millennium Falcon cockpit part.  I wonder what the space shuttle will use?  I hope it uses the top and bottom nose pieces introduced in Jungle Exploration Site 60161.  When reviewing that set, the Brothers Brick showed that they would work really well for a Space Shuttle. 

Unfortunately, until now the top part has been virtually impossible to use in a MOC because it's not compatible with any existing aircraft glass elements and 60161 didn't include any glass for it.

Edited by icm
Picture didn't embed the first time. Link inserted instead.

18 hours ago, icm said:

It's often said on this forum at Lego and Playmobil are direct competitors, but I've never quite believed it until now.  The upcoming City space "Mars Mission" line is obviously meant to directly compete with the Playmobil line.

I'm not sure how retailers have historically handled the brand elsewhere, but here in the Chicago area, local Walmarts just started carrying Playmobil products for the first time; so, TLG may be considering them as such more than ever as further retailers start carrying their products. 

18 hours ago, icm said:

I don't expect that the City rocket will look much like 7315, because the Millennium Falcon cockpit part used since 2004 has a very different shape and attachment method than the Millennium Falcon cockpit part used in 2000 (and in 7315).  It's much better suited to a tail-sitting cylindrical rocket than to a belly-landing space plane.  

Well, I was only commenting on where I am expecting its aesthetic to lean more towards, not so much its construction.

14 hours ago, icm said:

Hmm ... so the rocket that comes with the surface base uses the Millennium Falcon cockpit part.  I wonder what the space shuttle will use?  I hope it uses the top and bottom nose pieces introduced in Jungle Exploration Site 60161.  When reviewing that set, the Brothers Brick showed that they would work really well for a Space Shuttle. 

Hey, that'd be kinda cool! :thumbup: :sweet:

34324294774_22eed30892_z.jpg

On 2/1/2019 at 8:05 AM, Calunca said:

The five Mars mission sets are based on the Apollo moon landing 50 years ago and are available from June. Matthias has asked again: There are no license sets, but each box has the inscription "inspired by NASA".

In addition to the smaller kits, which just do well in combination, the highlight is the mission space research rocket control center. It is possible to integrate with the LEGO Life App, because the smartphone can be pushed into the ward and is then almost the control screen. In addition, gray roller coaster rails are used, along with the small gradient elements. but: There is no full loop. The rocket is kept very narrow, above is the "glassy" printed cockpit element of the little hawks used. The mission can start!

The series is flanked by three sets. The truck and the gas station are rather simple and certainly suitable for the young construction offspring. The donut shop opening, however, immediately aroused desires. Included are a small toy shop, a TV team, the police, a compact crane truck and the Rundstein, which celebrated its premiere in the VW Beetle 10252 set - so now it's time for a bite!

Great! The meanwhile fourth city dweller set - again an accumulation of interesting minifigures. Also on board are again small structures, including an ice cream van, a "Hau den Lukas" stand, a duck game with rings and a game in which must be fired at three printed round tiles. In addition, a colleague is on stilts. The scenario is reminiscent of the LEGO Fairground Ride 10244.

I am always tickled how Google translates German into English.  Some of the phrasings make me laugh out loud!  It's like a very earnest student over-using an English thesaurus.  I especially love how it derived "little hawks" from the German words for Millenium Falcon (thanks to icm for pointing that out).

On 2/2/2019 at 7:48 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Hey, that'd be kinda cool! :thumbup: :sweet:

That looks brilliant!

Haven't seen mention of it anywhere here on Eurobricks, but Promobricks has shared pics of a new Xtra sticker set with a lot of neat stickers for signs, posters, etc… including lots of City, classic Town, and even Paradisa references! https://www.promobricks.de/lego-853921-xtra-brick-stickers-offizielle-bilder/75976

30 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Haven't seen mention of it anywhere here on Eurobricks, but Promobricks has shared pics of a new Xtra sticker set with a lot of neat stickers for signs, posters, etc… including lots of City, classic Town, and even Paradisa references! https://www.promobricks.de/lego-853921-xtra-brick-stickers-offizielle-bilder/75976

That's is a pretty cool idea, and perfect for the Xtra line of sets.

Just got this month's Issue of City Magazine with a Fireman + burning (octan) barrel, comic is themed around the new Fire sets.

Next Magazine has a small 4 wheeled lawnmower vehicle with 2 spinning side blades + minifig.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

That's is a pretty cool idea, and perfect for the Xtra line of sets.

I agree! It'd be cool to see similar packs that are less "modern-day" coded, like one with assorted stickers for maps, flags, shields, scrolls, etc. which would be more suited to use in fantasy themes like Castle and Elves.

7 hours ago, Aanchir said:

That looks brilliant!

Thanks for sharing that sticker link - it look mightily promising as to what the sets could offer.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

Toy Fair is turning out to be rather underwhelming this year, as most of what's been shown, at least publicly on the various sites that cover it, is already on store shelves with no pics of upcoming summer product. I've been greatly anticipating pics of the upcoming City Space sets, so it's disappointing that they haven't been shown. Likewise Creator, Technic, Ninjago, etc. The only new stuff, to wit, is the Flintstones Ideas set, the new Hidden Side sets, some new Star Wars, and the Jurassic World Animated show sets. Neither the Hidden Side nor the Flintstones sets interest me, but I'll likely pick up a select few from the latter two themes. Still, in the past, we could always look forward to a nice spate of Star Wars sets, as well as a possible UCS disclosure. 

I guess this is the trend now, as, IIRC, there was little in the way of revelations at last year's show. Guess we'll have to wait for the slow trickle of official disclosures. Sad days, indeed.

3 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Toy Fair is turning out to be rather underwhelming this year, as most of what's been shown, at least publicly on the various sites that cover it, is already on store shelves with no pics of upcoming summer product. I've been greatly anticipating pics of the upcoming City Space sets, so it's disappointing that they haven't been shown. Likewise Creator, Technic, Ninjago, etc. The only new stuff, to wit, is the Flintstones Ideas set, the new Hidden Side sets, some new Star Wars, and the Jurassic World Animated show sets. Neither the Hidden Side nor the Flintstones sets interest me, but I'll likely pick up a select few from the latter two themes. Still, in the past, we could always look forward to a nice spate of Star Wars sets, as well as a possible UCS disclosure. 

I guess this is the trend now, as, IIRC, there was little in the way of revelations at last year's show. Guess we'll have to wait for the slow trickle of official disclosures. Sad days, indeed.

Yeah, last year LEGO didn't reveal most of their second half sets at Toy Fair — instead, they had their own "LEGO Goals" press event focused on those sorts of sets in May. I guess it worked out well for them if they're doing the same again.

I don't know the exact reason for this new approach, but I can think of several possible ones, such as wanting to generate hype closer the sets' release instead of giving it months to diminish, and wanting to avoid all of their new product announcements having to compete with like a billion other new toy announcements competing for press attention. After all, while a lot of LEGO fansites might attend Toy Fair JUST to report on LEGO, the same can't be said for a lot of the more mainstream blogs and news sites.

3 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

The only new stuff, to wit, is the Flintstones Ideas set, the new Hidden Side sets, some new Star Wars, and the Jurassic World Animated show sets

And LEGO Movie 2 and Toy Story 4.... 

They unveiled plenty of stuff this year, it just happens that none of those interest you. 

Edited by Robert8