TheArturro

Lego City 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Huh, that's a concept I've never thought of before: Random mystery minifigures in playsets:oh:

I do not like this idea. Best case? There's a flat rarity system and I'll likely have to turn to Bricklink to get what I want. Worst case? There's going to be a couple of minifigs that are particularly rare and they'll become expensive collector's items.

And here I was about to float the possibility of Classic Spacemen being included in this reputed Space People Pack. I don't like where this is going. 

Thank you very much for the list, @Calunca! :classic:

I already feared that the garage will be a Juniors / 4+ set - that's really a pity.

In the Space sets I'm likely not interested since the main element for me - a space station (in space) is missing. Only case might be if the moon base was a realistic set (and not something like last year's ugly "Arctic" sets) - but that's unlikely.

But I'm really looking forward to the fairground people pack and the donuts store and am excited about how the fire truck will look like.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:55 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Perhaps that second subtheme will be the return of the Submersible subtheme, four years after the fact? :shrug_confused:

I hope not. But since there's a fairground themed set in the Creator theme (and the pirate roller coaster from last year is still available), I have to cancel my opinion that without a whole Fairground subtheme within the City theme, the fairground people pack would make no sense.

It's strange that there isn't still any list of the sets of the second subtheme of summer - either Lego holds something new back or they keep their decision to the end.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Re the space theme; given how Lego is played with, a moon base makes more sense than an orbiting station. I believe the classic Space line never had orbiting stations. You will have to build your own, that's what Lego is for.

Interestingly, most past spaceport waves, going back to 1995, have included a nod to the moon, like a small buggy - but no moon rocket. I once tried to MOC one, but failed. Might the giant rocket launch set be an actual, minifig-compatible, moon rocket? If so, they're onto a winner, as the Apollo missions still get kids more excited than anything that came later - I know from experience!

I do hope they keep the classic Space derived logo. Speaking of which, this line may have to compete with the large retro spaceships seen in the Lego Movie 2 trailer. In other words, this could be the best year for Lego space... since 1980something!

1 hour ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

I already feared that the garage will be a Juniors / 4+ set - that's really a pity.

In the Space sets I'm likely not interested since the main element for me - a space station (in space) is missing. Only case might be if the moon base was a realistic set (and not something like last year's ugly "Arctic" sets) - but that's unlikely.

But I'm really looking forward to the fairground people pack and the donuts store and am excited about how the fire truck will look like.

Maybe the fire truck is part of the space theme and is a new/updated version of 6614 Launch Evac 1!

13 hours ago, Calunca said:

60233 l’ouverture du magasin de donuts (the opening of the donuts shop) – 790 pieces – 6+

Ooooh. This sounds intriguing. It's a decent brick count for a Lego City building. Two (or maybe three) sets might be enough for a small, one-story, 16-wide Modular-esque building.

I also like the sound of "People at the Funfair".

I wonder if "Central Garage" has been designed to work with the new Modular? Could it be another pick-up truck? Or something to add to the interior of the workshop? It would be interesting to see Lego create complimentary sets in Lego City for the Modular line. [NB: Ignore that speculation - I now see that it is a Juniors set, so obviously not deliberately related to the Modular in any way]

Edited by Agent 86

5 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

And here I was about to float the possibility of Classic Spacemen being included in this reputed Space People Pack.

I'd seriously doubt straight-up Classic Spacemen would ever come in a City set. :def_shrug:

2 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Only case might be if the moon base was a realistic set (and not something like last year's ugly "Arctic" sets) - but that's unlikely.

How could a moon base be "realistic" as you put it? We never got that far setting up shop on the moon. :tongue:

1 hour ago, Bornin1980something said:

Speaking of which, this line may have to compete with the large retro spaceships seen in the Lego Movie 2 trailer.

Well, those ships aren't a given yet from what we've heard so far, which is pretty much nothing as far as the sequel's summer wave goes. 

10 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I'd seriously doubt straight-up Classic Spacemen would ever come in a City set. :def_shrug:

How could a moon base be "realistic" as you put it? We never got that far setting up shop on the moon. :tongue:

Well, those ships aren't a given yet from what we've heard so far, which is pretty much nothing as far as the sequel's summer wave goes. 

Actually, since there is apparently a May wave of sets and then a summer wave, it's likely there might be as many as four waves of sets for TLM2. In which case it would surprise me immensely if those ships DIDN'T become a set. At the very lease we're certain to get that ship with Benny and Balthazar from the trailer.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:00 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

And I seriously doubt many owners would build the base without adding the figures from Benny's Space Squad. 

Anyway, based on past experience, when will we see first official images of the summer wave?

1 hour ago, Bornin1980something said:

And I seriously doubt many owners would build the base without adding the figures from Benny's Space Squad.

Anyway, based on past experience, when will we see first official images of the summer wave?

Considering Lego’s crackdown on leaks I’d guess very very late indeed.

We’re in the middle of January, the sets come out 1st June. I’d expect May.

On 1/13/2019 at 5:09 PM, Klaus-Dieter said:

Last year's Arctic sets were not particularly unrealistic, though? The vast majority of it pretty closely resembles stuff that exists in the real world, and a lot of it isn't even all that cutting-edge anymore:

The main thing I have yet to see a real-life equivalent of is the manned transport quadcopter in #60193. But even then that's not really much more "unrealistic" than a moonbase would be — they're both things that may not actually exist, but certainly could in the not-so-distant future.

If you look at the Sky Police line, everything in it can be found in the real world except maybe that XP7 prototype (and I am sure some designer has at least played with the idea of a helicopter like that especially given similar copters have appeared in a number of sci-fi universes).

As for the helicopter, there is a Boeing/Bell quad-rotor design based off the Osprey that is fairly similar

Edited by jonwil

On 1/7/2019 at 9:47 PM, Klaus-Dieter said:

You might be right. But firstly in the past there have been two models of very familiar vehicles (e. g. police ATVs or fire ATVs when there was one in the regular subtheme and one seperately sold as a polybag). And secondly I simply can't imagine thatTLG doesn't include a popcorn cart or at least a popcorn machine in the people pack since you automatically think about popcorn when fairground comes to your mind.

Err… not sure about that? Personally, I associate popcorn more with movies. When I think of fairgrounds I think more of stuff like hot dogs, cotton candy, snow cones, funnel cake, french fries, soft pretzels, ice cream, etc. That's not to say we don't have popcorn at fairs and carnivals here in the United States (though more commonly it's something , but they're not the only food or even the first food I think of when I think about fairgrounds.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:57 PM, Feng-huang0296 said:

I do not like this idea. Best case? There's a flat rarity system and I'll likely have to turn to Bricklink to get what I want. Worst case? There's going to be a couple of minifigs that are particularly rare and they'll become expensive collector's items.

I don't think that LEGO would do anything like this unless it were some "sweepstakes prize" sort of thing like the chrome gold C-3POs. For the most part, randomized blind packaging is most effective as a gimmick when used for impulse-priced products that people are expected to buy multiples of and trade with their friends, not products a typical buyer would only bother buying one of if the contents were clearly marked.

On 1/13/2019 at 8:00 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

I mean, there were a knight and a slightly updated Futuron spaceman in 60097, as well as a caveman in 60200. I don't feel like a Classic Spaceman would be any more implausible in a similar context as a statue/display. The most genuinely surprising part to see in a City set would be the plain smiley face with no eye sparkles, and if they were to use a more modern face print, it would be no trouble at all to swap for a traditional one!

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

If you look at the Sky Police line, everything in it can be found in the real world except maybe that XP7 prototype (and I am sure some designer has at least played with the idea of a helicopter like that especially given similar copters have appeared in a number of sci-fi universes).

As for the helicopter, there is a Boeing/Bell quad-rotor design based off the Osprey that is fairly similar

Hmm, I stand corrected! The rotors are definitely mounted differently in the Arctic Expedition sets, but as breaks from reality go I think that's a pretty mild one all things considered.

I wouldn't be surprised if LEGO City designers spend a lot of time looking at unusual vehicles to try to come up with ways to make stuff kids enjoy (excavators, helicopters, planes, trucks, etc) that still stands out from the sorts that show up in City sets all the time.

It looks like tomorrow we will see the pictures of summer sets! Or at least there will be writings.

Edited by Calunca

2 hours ago, Calunca said:

It looks like tomorrow we will see the pictures of summer sets! Or at least there will be writings.

It has never been photos at London if I recall correctly, but we usually have had detail reports since fan sites like Brickset has been invited.. Unfortenally that seems not to be the case this year, but hopefully we have a spy or two in the retailer ranks :tongue:

I'm not really someone who is interested in the City theme, but the space subtheme sounds intriguing.

Regarding this years toy fairs, since Lego is actually attending the London fair this year, hopefully this is a sign that they'll show and allow photography of summer sets at Nuremberg and New York.

Nuremberg toy fair 30th Jan - 3rd Feb and New York toy fair 16th - 19th February. Not too long too wait then, thats if they allow photo’s this year at all, as if memory serves me right there were no photo’s from any fairs last year.

Might have to rely on something from Legoworld in Copenhagen 14th - 17th Feb which used to be good for pics of new stuff.

9 hours ago, scottwb2010 said:

Nuremberg toy fair 30th Jan - 3rd Feb and New York toy fair 16th - 19th February. Not too long too wait then, thats if they allow photo’s this year at all, as if memory serves me right there were no photo’s from any fairs last year.

Might have to rely on something from Legoworld in Copenhagen 14th - 17th Feb which used to be good for pics of new stuff.

Summer sets there are unlikely to be.

Interesting to see the Space theme coming back. Which puts me in a pickle. I had intended to continue to pick up the Luna Space sets from the 90s to join my wonderful Galaxy Explorer. But some of the releases look very similar to those sets of yesteryear. Rocket Launcher base, Rocket carrier etc etc.

I wonder if the Galaxy Explorer will look out of place with these new sets?

7 hours ago, danimarroquin said:

usually the summer sets are for view on the NY show .

Normally that's been the case but I thought they changed that last year? There were a couple of sets that got unveiled such as Hogwarts Great Hall, Solo Millennium Falcon, UCS Hulkbuster and the Jurassic World mansion but the rest was what was already available in stores.

10 hours ago, PBRStreetgang said:

I wonder if the Galaxy Explorer will look out of place with these new sets?

As I've proposed here earlier, a color scheme for the upcoming sets' spacecraft that lightly pays homage to Classic Space would be the best I'd hope for in those regards. Realistically, that could take the form of shuttlecraft with a predominately Light Bluish Grey base color rather than just typical White, and perhaps some subtle Bright Blue striping with Trans-Yellow porthole windows rather than full-on panoramic canopies. :shrug_oh_well:

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As I've proposed here earlier, a color scheme for the upcoming sets' spacecraft that lightly pays homage to Classic Space would be the best I'd hope for in those regards. Realistically, that could take the form of shuttlecraft with a predominately Light Bluish Grey base color rather than just typical White, and perhaps some subtle Bright Blue striping with Trans-Yellow porthole windows rather than full-on panoramic canopies. :shrug_oh_well:

Sounds ideal,...in my case anyway. I think Ill wait and see how these turn out before any more 'classic' space buys.

Thanks. 

Added the last of the Sky Police to my collection today. The police station is great, the big airplane reminds me a bit of some of the military transport planes like the C-130 Hercules and the control tower is great too.

All in all I am loving the entire line of Sky Police, some of the best Police sets LEGO have ever done IMO.

Its not even the end of January yet and the new visor and oxygen mask are already candidates for "best new part of 2019" in my book... (I just hope we see them appear in other sets in future)