TheArturro

Lego City 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

15 hours ago, AOW said:

I think that in City line we should have 6 wide trucks, SUV , 4x4 and 4 wide all other cars that would make logic in my opinion. Now all the 6 wide standard cars for me look too big for the City theme..

I feel like it varies. Even in real life there are many different sizes of car. Consider the cars of the 60s and 70s that were colloquially called “land yachts” due to their size: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_yacht_(automobile)

In the United States, at least, a popular car model for police departments is the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, which is likewise a pretty big car in its own right: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Crown_Victoria_Police_Interceptor For comparison’s sake, a Crown Victoria is longer than and nearly as wide as a Ford Expedition full size SUV.

I do feel as though in City, four studs wide is plenty suitable for mid-size, subcompact, and compact cars. As a bonus, reserving four stud chassis for smaller cars and using six stud wide chassis for larger cars means other types of small vehicles like ATVs/quad bikes, go-karts, golf carts, and dune buggies don’t tend to feel as oversized by comparison.

10 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

I LOVE this idea! And while they’re at it, they should make them have the ability to make the taller too!

Taller is no problem and Lego has done so on many occasions, an example is the current City Fire Station.

1 hour ago, jfbat said:

Taller is no problem and Lego has done so on many occasions, an example is the current City Fire Station.

The problem is that when you hit a certain height the door starts “closing” at the back!

So as an retired forest fire fighter I was thrilled to see 60217 was a fire plane for fighting forest fires. Also cool to see some new firefighter uniforms although you only get one of the semi-accurate yellow forest firemen it does come with 3 figures a good size plane a buggy with a couple of trees and plays out as a skunk rescue. Unfortunately as usual I feel like it is way overpriced for a 363 piece set, 79 dollars Canadian, unsure what the US price will be. Still I am glad to finally see some sort of forest fire set, so I will probably end up getting it. By the way anyone interested in seeing it can find it on the Brick Fan site. 

31 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

So as an retired forest fire fighter I was thrilled to see 60217 was a fire plane for fighting forest fires. Also cool to see some new firefighter uniforms although you only get one of the semi-accurate yellow forest firemen it does come with 3 figures a good size plane a buggy with a couple of trees and plays out as a skunk rescue. Unfortunately as usual I feel like it is way overpriced for a 363 piece set, 79 dollars Canadian, unsure what the US price will be. Still I am glad to finally see some sort of forest fire set, so I will probably end up getting it. By the way anyone interested in seeing it can find it on the Brick Fan site. 

I'm not sure how long you have been collecting. But Lego did do a City "Forest Fire" sub theme back in 2012. All the figures in that line had yellow forest gear. I think the new fig is probably a little more accurate to modern, but the 2012's should still be fairly easy and inexpensive to find. They released a 4 pack "minifig Battlepack" of the Firefighters. 

https://brickset.com/sets/853378-1/LEGO-City-Accessory-Pack

35 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

I'm not sure how long you have been collecting. But Lego did do a City "Forest Fire" sub theme back in 2012. All the figures in that line had yellow forest gear. I think the new fig is probably a little more accurate to modern, but the 2012's should still be fairly easy and inexpensive to find. They released a 4 pack "minifig Battlepack" of the Firefighters. 

https://brickset.com/sets/853378-1/LEGO-City-Accessory-Pack

Only for about two and half years, so I was unaware of that set, thanks for pointing it out and yes it is quite affordable. My first Technic set was the Fire Plane and although I think it's a good set apparently I am one of few that thinks so. 

I can't understand why LEGO charges so much for system planes even considering the cockpit piece it just seems way overpriced. Of course I will still buy it because I don't have a red one yet plus I need the new multi shot water canon. I think of all the new city sets the fire plane is the one I look forward to the most, even though it's nothing all that great. 

On 12/1/2018 at 3:08 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

I'll comment on the final sets (pictures) later, but already noticed something strange:

The numbers on top of the fire engines say 1 for the one in the fire station, 4 for the one in the burger bar set and 7 for the one in the downtown fire brigade. So 2, 3, 5 and 6 are missing. Even if the fire engine in the fire fighting plane set got a number on top, that would mean that there are still three another fire engines planned for release in 2019.

What are your thoughts?

I see where you are coming from regards the numbers, but I don't think there will be anymore engines for release in 2019 if you go by the same principle of the Deep Sea Explorers theme, each vehicle/vessel in the sets had a number

60092 DS Submarine - Sub numbered E01     

60093 DS Helicopter - Sub #E02, Helicopter #E03   

60095 DS Exploration Vessel - Personal Watercraft (PWC) #E04, Inflatable dingy 60095 (could therefore be E05 or the un-numbered sub), Boat #E06     

60096 DS Operation Base - Sub #E07, PWC #08, Plane E09

So with the latest fire sets there appears to be only a few numbered ie 60215 4x4 is #1, 60214 Truck is #4, 2016 Tiller Truck is #7 and 60217 Plane is #10 I would reckon the other vehicles etc in the sets fill the missing gaps although not officially numbered.

60213 Dockside - RIB could be #03

60214 Burger Bar - Truck #04, Motorcycle could be #05

60215 Fire Stn - 4x4 #01, Jet Ski could be #2

60216 Downtown Fire - Motorcycle could be #6, Tiller Truck #7, Helicopter could be #8, Remote control Scoosher could be #9

60217 Fire Plane - Plane #10, ATV could be #11

Hope you see my logic in the numbering. :laugh:

LEGO at their shop on line have already added the new sets, well they are not available yet, but have good quality pictures.

You know what I think is weird when seeing that big cars? That the Harvester is really small, while in reallity those things are usually just small enough to be allowed to drive on  public roads.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:36 PM, mon-o-mat said:

You know what I think is weird when seeing that big cars? That the Harvester is really small, while in reallity those things are usually just small enough to be allowed to drive on  public roads.

Harvesters come in loads of different sizes — if you search "Small harvester" on Google Images you'll find some designed for small-scale rice farming that are barely even larger than a forklift. Given the main idea of this set (a harvester being carried on a transport truck at a Great Vehicles price point), I think this more moderate size is plenty suitable.

Again thank you very much for the pics and posted reviews! :classic:

And now here's my final judgement over the City winter wave (I don't comment on the City 4+ sets since these are Juniors sets and no City ones):

Sky Police:

Without any exception the sets of the Sky Police theme are horrible - what has Sci-Fi to do in the City theme?! :wacko: Plus the base looks more like a Juniors building than like a City one. Why can't TLG simply give us a Police subtheme that really exists and hasn't been done before (winter police) or at least not for a longer time (special forces, water / harbor police)?! For sure there's no single set I'll buy. :thumbdown:

Fire:

The footbridge in the Fire Boat set is done nicely, but for my taste the boat is too small. :sceptic:

Although I won't buy the Fire Plane set, I have to admit that it's done pretty well and very similar to the 2012 version (because of that I won't buy it since I alreay own this older version), but with a lovely small fire car and some nice side structures. :thumbup:

The burger bar looks very realistic and the brick built sign is great. :wub:

I really like it that we get for variety a small Fire Station which has a perfect sized fire SUV in it plus a nice fire drone - both completely new vehicles what I appreciate. :wub:

That the Fire In Town set includes a construction site with a damaged old style building, a small tower crane and some other construction site parts, is very welcome and makes much more sense. I could have lived without that immensly huge fire truck in this set and even more without the small heli, but that we get a fire robot is again something completey new and appreciated. :thumbup:

Only two small critics: The water canon mechanism may be nice for kids' playability, but for the aesthetic it's a killer. And I'm really disappointed about there being no burger mould(s). :sadnew:

Great Vehicles:

The Kajak Car has a nice front - but the missing car doors and (even more) the missing boot lid makes the car looking unfinished and unattractive. :thumbdown:

Although I agree with those of you who prefer 4 studs wide cars (and 6 studs wide trucks), the police car is imo not bad. :classic:

The Desert Ralley Car looks nice. :thumbup:

I've been waiting for a small Front Loader for decades - and the outcome is imo great. :wub:

The Diving Yacht does not only include a very well designed yacht with a nice interior, but even a small underwater scenery - perfect. :wub:

Although some sort of small quarter pipe built out of snow would have been nice to be included in this set, I really like the Snow Groomer I've been waiting for years, too. The new torso for the female Free Skier looks very well designed, too. :wub:

But the top of this Great Vehicles set is simply the Harvester Transport. The transport truck as well as the corn harvester itself are simply stunning! :wub:

On a site note: Let's hope that there'll be a huge Farm set in summer (like the hospital in last summer) in order to give the harvester a home!

On 12/4/2018 at 11:11 PM, scottwb2010 said:

I see where you are coming from regards the numbers, but I don't think there will be anymore engines for release in 2019 if you go by the same principle of the Deep Sea Explorers theme, each vehicle/vessel in the sets had a number

60092 DS Submarine - Sub numbered E01     

60093 DS Helicopter - Sub #E02, Helicopter #E03   

60095 DS Exploration Vessel - Personal Watercraft (PWC) #E04, Inflatable dingy 60095 (could therefore be E05 or the un-numbered sub), Boat #E06     

60096 DS Operation Base - Sub #E07, PWC #08, Plane E09

So with the latest fire sets there appears to be only a few numbered ie 60215 4x4 is #1, 60214 Truck is #4, 2016 Tiller Truck is #7 and 60217 Plane is #10 I would reckon the other vehicles etc in the sets fill the missing gaps although not officially numbered.

60213 Dockside - RIB could be #03

60214 Burger Bar - Truck #04, Motorcycle could be #05

60215 Fire Stn - 4x4 #01, Jet Ski could be #2

60216 Downtown Fire - Motorcycle could be #6, Tiller Truck #7, Helicopter could be #8, Remote control Scoosher could be #9

60217 Fire Plane - Plane #10, ATV could be #11

Hope you see my logic in the numbering. :laugh:

Ah yes, that seems logical, scottwb2010! Having had a look at the pics at S@H, it really can be that at least the motorcycles, the heli and the plane are numbered, too.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

12 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

On a site note: Let's hope that there'll be a huge Farm set in summer (like the hospital in last summer) in order to give the harvester a home!

If 2019 is anything like 2017 , which had 2 subthemes in Summer (Jungle/Coast Guard), a Farm subtheme would be great.

Could even make a "People pack - Fun at the Farm" type set. And even some Farm themed XTRA polybag.

This is just wishful thinking but it would be very nice imo.

I am not really interested in the harvester set on it's own otherwise.

Edited by TeriXeri

Personally I think that a specialized burger mold would probably be a bad call. The ones built from more standard pieces in sets like 75900, 75901, 75903, and 75904 from the Scooby-Doo theme are plenty satisfactory. They could maybe be improved with a bigger piece for the patty, perhaps a 2x2 round plate underneath or on top of the 1x1 plates for the "fixins". But overall, the biggest problem with them is that they're somewhat oversized — and that describes all sorts of LEGO accessories due to the minifigure's inherently goofy proportions. A more proportionate burger piece would almost certainly end up looking undersized compared to several other minifigure food elements like the hot dog, hot dog bun, and croissant.

I doubt we'd have a full Farm subtheme this year, because if we did then they probably would have saved the Harvester Transporter to release as part of that wave rather than as part of the Great Vehicles series. Great Vehicles sets almost never include stuff from current subthemes — in fact, I'm pretty sure this is the first year the Great Vehicles have included a police set, and that seems to be because the new police car (despite the branding on the box) is not designed to match the logos, uniforms, etc. of the Sky Police subtheme. But we could have another farm set like a people pack or a stand-alone farm set as part of the Town subtheme, which is the catch-all subtheme that stuff like the People Packs or this year's Hospital and Capital City have been included in.

Edited by Aanchir

I think there was a missed opportunity with the Sky Police to go full futuristic. Call it City 2050 or something and just embrace the wackiness. What we got doesn't go far enough. It's too nonsensical to represent modern real life, but it isn't interesting enough to look at nor innovative enough to make for good near-future sets either. 

Yall are entitled to complaining, however let me point something out: these sets are designed with the target market in mind not adults. Jangbricks said helicopters are children’s favourite mode of transport in terms of toys so creating a whole sub theme around flight makes sense in terms of demand from children.

Could it be that the 2019 people pack will be Fun At The Fair?

Reason: There is an ad on the hoarding in 60216 Downtown Fire Brigade. It says "Fair" and shows a boy and a girl - both with cotton candy. In the past years, all ads on busses etc. (not for company names) did have something real in the same or another City set (e.g. pizzeria, bike shop, museum, beach party, hotel). For those who may say: "What shall a Fair people pack when there's no Fair subtheme in the City theme?!" let me give following counter argument: In 2017, 60153 Fun At The Beach people pack was released. There was an ad in 60154 Bus Station saying "Beach Party". Still 60153 was the only set that was located at the beach - not only in 2017, but even the year before and after. Plus in 60215 Fire Station there's a 1x1x1 brick with a sticker or printing red-white lined and saying "pop" (for popcorn).

What do you think?

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

On 12/14/2018 at 11:28 AM, Echo said:

I think there was a missed opportunity with the Sky Police to go full futuristic. Call it City 2050 or something and just embrace the wackiness. What we got doesn't go far enough. It's too nonsensical to represent modern real life, but it isn't interesting enough to look at nor innovative enough to make for good near-future sets either. 

Youtube 'Police riding drones', they are already a thing. It makes more sense than Volcano and Arctic sets.

16 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Reason: There is an ad on the hoarding in 60216 Downtown Fire Brigade. It says "Fair" and shows a boy and a girl - both with cotton candy. In the past years, all ads on busses etc. (not for company names) did have something real in the same or another City set (e.g. pizzeria, bike shop, museum, beach party, hotel). For those who may say: "What shall a Fair people pack when there's no Fair subtheme in the City theme?!" let me give following counter argument: In 2017, 60153 Fun At The Beach people pack was released. There was an ad in 60154 Bus Station saying "Beach Party". Still 60153 was the only set that was located at the beach - not only in 2017, but even the year before and after. Plus in 60215 Fire Station there's a 1x1x1 brick with a sticker or printing red-white lined and saying "pop" (for popcorn).

What do you think?

Seems pretty plausible for sure! And the People Packs are compatible with other City subthemes like Mountain Police or Coast Guard, officially they all belong to the "Town" subtheme which contains more generic City sets not belonging to other current subthemes, like this year's Capital City and Hospital.

Edited by Aanchir

18 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

[snip]

What do you think?

Sounds good to me! I'd like to get a more "generic" People Pack again. Beach and Mountain weren't too bad, but they didn't fit a Lego City street very well (which is the only Lego environment that I have - not enough room for a seaside and mountains).

So I've been thinking about Sub-themes for Summer 2019.

- Airport was 2010, 2013 , 2016, that makes 2019 very viable.

- Spaceport was 2011, 2015, a 4 year cycle could make 2019 viable. (and LEGO movie 2 being space oriented as well)

Fire was on a clear 3 year cycle since 2007,2010,2013,2016 and now 2019.

Trains have been on a 4 year cycle since 2006,2010,2014,2018.

Regular City Police seems to be on a 3 year cycle (2008,2011,2014,2017), so the sets staying around for now.

Farm would be 10 years since the last theme but we got the harvester transport already.

I don't expect a big Construction wave either since there's a crane/unfinished building in the Downtown Fire Brigage set, and a smaller Construction Loader set.

Harbour hasn't had sets for a long time as well, I see the new Fire Station has a small dock you could attach the Dock Side fire set to with technic pins, but that's no indication.

Edited by TeriXeri

I think Sky Police effectively eliminates Airport as a Summer 2019 sub-theme. I would bet on Space. 

I think the lack of boats currently makes a Harbour subtheme likely. The fact that there is a diving boat in great-vehicles makes a return to Deep sea diver subtheme unlikely too.

I don’t see a whole Farm sub-theme but a stand-alone Farm set would be very welcome. I don’t think “Fun on the Farm” people pack could incorporate enough Farm scenarios unless you substitute a lot of minifigures for animals.  Fun at the fair would complement the Creator expert sets well.

Finally, the lack of a Train station since 60050 makes this a likely set.

Edited by AntiKragle
Typo

14 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

So I've been thinking about Sub-themes for Summer 2019.

- Airport was 2010, 2013 , 2016, that makes 2019 very viable.

- Spaceport was 2011, 2015, a 4 year cycle could make 2019 viable. (and LEGO movie 2 being space oriented as well)

Fire was on a clear 3 year cycle since 2007,2010,2013,2016 and now 2019.

Trains have been on a 4 year cycle since 2006,2010,2014,2018.

Regular City Police seems to be on a 3 year cycle (2008,2011,2014,2017), so the sets staying around for now.

Farm would be 10 years since the last theme but we got the harvester transport already.

I don't expect a big Construction wave either since there's a crane/unfinished building in the Downtown Fire Brigage set, and a smaller Construction Loader set.

Harbour hasn't had sets for a long time as well, I see the new Fire Station has a small dock you could attach the Dock Side fire set to with technic pins, but that's no indication.

Harvester Transporter wouldn't really tell us much about when/if a farm subtheme is or isn't happening because it's part of the Great Vehicles subtheme.

It's also worth noting that Construction, Mining, and Demolition together are on a 3-year cycle (2006, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2018) just like Fire/Forest Fire. So if that continues, the next big wave for that group of subthemes should be expected in 2021. Police, Fire, and Construction/Mining/Demolition subthemes are also almost invariably first half year releases.

While Police waves have become an annual occurrence, they, too, follow a three year cycle in their own unique way. Specifically, "Classic Police" in a generic urban setting appear every three years (2008, 2011, 2014, 2017), while the years in between have smaller police waves with a more particular defining concept: Forest Police in 2012, Elite Police in 2013, Swamp Police in 2015, Prison Island Police in 2016, Mountain Police in 2018, and Sky Police in 2019. So if this pattern continues in 2020, we'll be due for a larger than usual Classic Police wave that year that takes the place of a Fire or Construction wave.

As far as summer/second half year subthemes go, since 2014 the one thing that's been standard to have at least one research/exploration-focused subtheme every summer. I'm expecting one next summer, but no telling what it might be. Town, too, is a standard subtheme for the summer sets, encompassing the People Packs, Advent Calendars, and miscellaneous sets like the Recycling Truck, City Garage, Helicopter Rescue, Town Square, City Square, Service Station, Bus Station, Cargo Terminal, Capital City, and Hospital.

The four year cycle for Trains mostly seems accurate, though of course, plenty of train sets have been released outside of the main waves that occur every four years. In the very least, we can probably expect fewer train sets next year than this year.

The other major recurring summer subthemes can be grouped into four overarching categories: Flight (Airport/Cargo/Space), Nautical (Harbor/Coast Guard). But with these it's much harder to discern an obvious pattern. Harbor and/or Space seem like as good a guess as any.

Here's a spreadsheet where I've been keeping track of this stuff.

Edited by Aanchir

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

Here's a spreadsheet where I've been keeping track of this stuff.

Interesting data for sure.

I mostly based my years data on Brickset's City subtheme division, and didn't think of the groups of subthemes and that's for sure a nice analysis.

Edited by TeriXeri