TheArturro

Lego City 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

10 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

When I checked online earlier this afternoon some fairly decent quality images had leaked showing sky police, the harvest transporter, the small Digger/front loader and the snow machine (not sure of its proper name). Just checked again though and the images have now been taken down. :hmpf_bad:

Damn.. I guess I'll have to wait. I believe the snow machine's proper name is 'Grooming Machine'

I found the high quality pictures of the sky police and the criminal plane thing is almost the same thing as the spiderman one from a few years ago that had power man. Also new light and sound brick but the police lights on top of the trucks/cars! 

59 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

Also new light and sound brick but the police lights on top of the trucks/cars! 

I guess those businesses that provide light systems for lego sets will lose some business with the new sets coming out. Can't wait to see them in action though.

Throw back to this classic: 
Image result for legoland light & sound system

I would love to see some new "Light and Sound" system stuff added to Lego city. Great for the kiddos and depending on the lights and how they are wired up, they might have a new smaller battery box or small lights like the classic 80s did.

-RailCo

Okay, we notpw have a catalogue that shows a bunch of City sets. 

The snowplough thing looks boring. Easy pass. I'm also pretty certain that the garbage truck is indeed a Juniors thing, so I'll probably skip it. 

Though I saw a Sky Police thing that had a really badass criminal helicopter with two propellers, and what almost looked like a police bus, maybe for transporting criminals to a prison? That one looked cool, the helicopter in particular. If it lives up to my expectations I might get it. 

16 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Though I saw a Sky Police thing that had a really badass criminal helicopter with two propellers, and what almost looked like a police bus, maybe for transporting criminals to a prison? That one looked cool, the helicopter in particular. If it lives up to my expectations I might get it. 

This one interests me, but that vehicle so massive! It's like the MRAP from 60140: Bulldozer Break-In on steroids. That plus the VTOL aircraft it comes with will make that a scary price point.

Burger bar rescue looks interesting, as does the combine harvester carrier. They redid 4209: Fire Plane as well, but that's a pass for me, but the construction site rescue with the longer fire truck might be alright.

I see the new era of criminals are getting smarter with remote control drones. Is that also a police officer in a jetpack? *huh*

55 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I also thought it was a prison bus, though the helicopter is taking part of the roof with a diamond on it, so it's just a armored vehicle carrying goods.

4 hours ago, Rail Co said:

I would love to see some new "Light and Sound" system stuff added to Lego city. Great for the kiddos and depending on the lights and how they are wired up, they might have a new smaller battery box or small lights like the classic 80s did.

-RailCo

I suspect it's more likely an all-in-one light and sound element like the ones that have been used in Duplo. Though if so it seems like it's considerably more compact than that, or than the current light bricks and sound bricks.

Edited by Aanchir

Pffft, that Dark Red & Orange dual-rotor copter is just hilariously uncharacteristic for the City theme! And wait, cops and robbers in jetpacks? That's the last place I would've expected and wished to see jetpacks! nervouslaughter1.gif

20 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Pffft, that Dark Red & Orange dual-rotor copter is just hilariously uncharacteristic for the City theme! And wait, cops and robbers in jetpacks? That's the last place I would've expected and wished to see jetpacks! nervouslaughter1.gif

Look up Marvel set 76016, it looks a lot like that design. Cops and robbers with jetpacks is funny, City is becoming a little unrealistic for a "city" 

I think (hope) the jetpacks take inspiration from Yves Rossy's jet wingpacks.  We're a long way from police with jetpacks despite Rossy's work, but there's just enough of a grain of truth in it that I'm willing to let Lego get away with putting those in City.  Similarly, the 2015 Utility Shuttle and 2017 Jungle Air Drop Helicopter more closely resemble aborted programs from the 1980s than anything that's ever made it to flight test, but they're just realistic enough that I'm willing to allow them in my City.  That robber helicopter, though - that's firmly in comic book land.  I like the skid steer and the snow groomer.

Edited by icm

This Sky Police theme is so odd.... I feel like this was meant to be something else but it was turned into a City subtheme. 

- Maybe a sequel or revival of Ultra Agents? (or a new action theme)

- Maybe Superheroes designs that didn't make it into a final set? 

- A military theme? Because seriously.... Do they need a jet fighter pilot with a breathing mask to chase a parachutist? The heck?

From all the recent police subthemes LEGO has been releasing in the past years, this is the weakest. They are just getting more and more unrealistic

This is a leak from the 2020 City police line:Image result for lego movie robot cop

30 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

This Sky Police theme is so odd.... I feel like this was meant to be something else but it was turned into a City subtheme. 

- Maybe a sequel or revival of Ultra Agents? (or a new action theme)

- Maybe Superheroes designs that didn't make it into a final set? 

- A military theme?

Just like this year's Arctic subtheme of City ... just plausible enough to fit in a City, just weird enough to feel strange in that same City!

The last Airport subtheme was in 2016, so 2019 would be a plausible year for it to return ... maybe the set designers didn't feel up to a real Airport theme, so they did this instead?  That doesn't account for the robber heliplane, though, that's straight out of Super Heroes ....

22 hours ago, Foreman-Alex said:

Were the images deleted? Can't seem to find them.

They are there, just in a separate folder-kind location.

Returning to the topic:

Yacht -> quiteg ood one I would say, I enjoyed the fact that has so many windows and looks kind a luxury one. Both previous were somehow poor versions.

Transport -> the from is kind of, like none we seen before, that is good, as it a new, on another hand new=odd. Harvester that is a corn one not sure how it should be called in English.

Sky-Police -> not my choice, I like the plane, but the control tower, that looks so Junior.... I feel like Lego is cost-cutting on the buildings that are not in the Creative line.

The same applies to the Fire on Construction Site, while vehicles are nice looking, but building looks very thin. 

I will wait for more details. 

The leaks I've seen haven't been great quality, but the impression I got from the "jetpacks" is that they seemed more like wingpacks or wingsuits. Considering that Dubai has been experimenting stuff as wild as flying police motorbikes and firefighting jetpacks, I wouldn't be too surprised if wingpacks or wingsuits haven't been explored for policing. It's also worth noting that some LEGO City police and coast guard sets in the past have included types of aviation technology originally developed for armed forces use, and militaries have been experimenting with wingsuits and the like for a looooong time.

Besides the imaginative appeal of these sorts of experimental technologies appearing in LEGO City, some of it could also be motivated by the fairly long (one and a half to two year) lead time for most LEGO set designs. After all, a lot of these sorts of technologies are marketed to police forces almost immediately after being unveiled, and designers can't know for sure which of them will "take off" (no pun intended) in those applications and which are just pipe dreams.

Sky police with simple builds, action features, light and sound is really aiming for the main City police market i.e 5 to 8 year old boys. Somewhat disappointed by the snow-groomer (pisten bully) although they probably would have needed a higher piece count for more detail and wasn’t aware that a snow cannon was a thing although the set is similar to a smaller version of this https://ideas.lego.com/projects/f19d9e19-9d34-45e8-adf2-0b5baed58b24 

The harvester transporter is the highlight. 

I think the Sky Police, diving yacht and Harvester may rule out Airport, Divers and Farm as summer sub-themes.  So perhaps Space again and hopefully a harbour/dockland. 

Edited by AntiKragle
Error

22 hours ago, Nexogeek said:

Cops and robbers with jetpacks is funny, City is becoming a little unrealistic for a "city"

At this point, they might as well go the whole way and give us that Lunar/Martian Exploration subtheme for all of us starving Classic Space fans. Come on Lego... :purrr:

31 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

At this point, they might as well go the whole way and give us that Lunar/Martian Exploration subtheme for all of us starving Classic Space fans. Come on Lego... :purrr:

Yess! And throw us some sweet aliens as well, if we get robbers with jet packs and insanely weird helicopters in city why not aliens and more Sci-Fi space stuff. Given we may not see a in house space theme for a while, TLM2 may give us a few space themed things but I so want a full blown theme of space. @Digger of Bricks you and I seem to want a lot of the same kinda stuff from Lego lol

3 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

Yess! And throw us some sweet aliens as well, if we get robbers with jet packs and insanely weird helicopters in city why not aliens and more Sci-Fi space stuff. 

Well, if a Lunar and/or Martian Exploration subtheme were to incorporate extraterrestrial life, I'd personally only wish to see the subtheme's explorers discovering non-intelligent life, in the form of live or fossilized simplistic organisms as so to still keep the City theme more plausibly grounded.

The harvester looks like it wants to be a corn harvester.  But in relation to the minifigure in the same image, it looks way too small.  Its scale is more like a riding lawn mower.  That's disappointing.  I was looking forward to a proper piece of farm equipment.  :def_shrug:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, if a Lunar and/or Martian Exploration subtheme were to incorporate extraterrestrial life, I'd personally only wish to see the subtheme's explorers discovering non-intelligent life, in the form of live or fossilized simplistic organisms as so to still keep the City theme more plausibly grounded.

I like the way you think, that's an idea I haven't thought of but could work nicely for a City subtheme 

It does seem as if LEGO are scraping the barrel a bit with these sky police sets and trying to come up with new ideas for Police scenarios each year. Having said that I reckon kids will absolutely love these though.

One of the sets rumored to be coming out was a small Police Patrol Car 60239. Have images of this one leaked yet? I'm wondering if this one will be connected to the Sky Police theme or just a generic Police car.

Sky police with Parachutes, reminds me of those cheap plastic toy soldiers with parachutes that you threw in the air as a child.

On the up side, I'm loving they have bought back the Light & Sound brand name, I just hope the technology is as compact as it used to be.  The image almost looks like the light brick is 6 x 2 x 1 stud in size, which would be hard to incorporate into most designs.

9 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

It does seem as if LEGO are scraping the barrel a bit with these sky police sets and trying to come up with new ideas for Police scenarios each year. Having said that I reckon kids will absolutely love these though.

One of the sets rumored to be coming out was a small Police Patrol Car 60239. Have images of this one leaked yet? I'm wondering if this one will be connected to the Sky Police theme or just a generic Police car.

It could turn out to be a Sky Police hover-car :grin: