I have built two Lego Technic supercars in the past - both of which were motorized and featured SBrick control. Since both proved to have an interesting building process, I decided to make my second MOC to this year's BrickFair Virginia a mid-engine supercar.

The building process involved lots of Trial-and-error, the most apparent being completely redesigning the chassis from scratch and streamlining the chassis in its early stages. I've also changed up the interior many times, especially the seats, dash, and underside panels. The car is driven by 2 PF L motors located very close to the rear axle - giving it a very efficient drivetrain. The drive motors are also connected to a V8 piston engine which can be accessed by opening the rear hatch. Steering is done by a PF servo motor, and I decided to use the newer steering hubs in the front. The car also features full independent suspension, with 1 shock absorber per wheel in the front and 2 per wheel in the rear. The power source is the 8878 rechargeable battery, located conveniently behind the rear axle.

As for the aesthetics, this model contains plenty of angled connections - most of which are done by angled connectors. This was especially true for the front end, where plenty of angled connections were used to get the smooth, rounded shape of a supercar. I also used plenty of flex axles in the bodywork, especially for the wheel arches  and windshield. The roof used 3x13 curved panels to get a more rounded shape, and since they are currently not available in red I went with black which resulted in a two-tone body I'm very happy with. The only part I'm not so happy about is the rear hatch, since the black panels seem to be just placed on there randomly. I also felt like the interior could have used a bit more detail. but overall I'm happy with how the model turned out aesthetically.

This MOC was a MOC full of trial-and-error but ultimately turned out to be something I'm really happy with. Comparing it to my earliest MOCs (and even my previous supercars), I see that I have come a long ways over the past 5 years. Looking at the results, this model seems to resemble most closely an Acura NSX even though I didn't really have a "goal" car in mind as I built it. Although this was a MOC primarily concerned with aesthetics, it isn't so lacking in functionality either as it is not only motorized but also features the opening rear hatch which I never planned to include in the beginning. Overall it was a great MOC and building experience and I'm excited to display it at BrickFair Virginia this year.

Video:

Photos:

29344898738_1ee36ae85e_o.jpg

29344899178_20ab9d7a9a_o.jpg

29344899058_dec275420e_o.jpg

29344898638_7f85550710_o.jpg

29344898978_b0718923f7_o.jpg

29344898908_6f51d2f81e_o.jpg

29344898538_8f43d97f0d_o.jpg

29344898328_acdcd45666_o.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

On 7/20/2018 at 3:33 PM, grum64 said:

Superb. Great work :thumbup:

Thanks!!

On 7/20/2018 at 4:03 PM, Aventador2004 said:

Pretty nice, think white would be better though.

Considering I've made a white supercar last year, I decided to change things up a bit :)

On 7/20/2018 at 4:22 PM, Nebulaire said:

Congrat's for your moc, it look great !

Edited by JLiu15

Looks even better there!!! Congratulations on the nomination!!!! Also, I take back everything I ever said about you needing to fill in the hood some more. It looks stunning!!!

Spot on! Just like what my expectations for my cars are like, but then reality kicks in :wacko::laugh:

You’re lucky BrickFair has a Best Technic award, he convention I can go to doesn’t even recognize it as a theme.

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

Wow congrats! Love it, great lines throughout. A well deserved best of class too. Keep it up!

13 hours ago, ginger-snapped said:

Looks even better there!!! Congratulations on the nomination!!!! Also, I take back everything I ever said about you needing to fill in the hood some more. It looks stunning!!!

Even though it did not receive best technic, it was nonetheless very well received by both attendees and visitors alike. Thank you!!

12 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Spot on! Just like what my expectations for my cars are like, but then reality kicks in :wacko::laugh:

You’re lucky BrickFair has a Best Technic award, he convention I can go to doesn’t even recognize it as a theme.

Yeah, unfortunately Technic is a very obscure theme in the world of Lego. I don't think I saw any Technic supercars besides mine. :laugh:

10 hours ago, Lox Lego said:

Wow congrats! Love it, great lines throughout. A well deserved best of class too. Keep it up!

Thanks!!

Edited by JLiu15

Looks good! I couldn't make it to the show. :angry: Wanted to take the kids, but the wife had other plans. Was Paul (crowkillers) there?

Edited by Meatman

3 hours ago, Meatman said:

Looks good! I couldn't make it to the show. :angry: Wanted to take the kids, but the wife had other plans. Was Paul (crowkillers) there?

Nope. In fact, I don't think there was another Technic supercar at the convention except this. :laugh:

2 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

It is called Bricks by the Bay. I also posted a summary of the convention in the events forum.

Oh that's cool!