Hey guys, here's a third model I'm making for BrickFair Virginia this year. I know the event's just weeks away but since I found myself way ahead of schedule I thought why not make a third MOC. It is, of course, going to be much simpler than my other BrickFair MOCs, but I have a feeling this build's gonna be interesting:

UPDATE: I'm not bringing this MOC to BrickFair as it is likely going to place a strain on my already limited amount of necessary parts. There's no way I'll get this done in 10 days without making a ton of compromises, so I'm waiting until after BrickFair so I can make it better.

I already have a good amount of this MOC done at this point - the entire chassis is pretty much together. The functions will include:

• Tank drive with a single Medium motor per track, geared down 3:1
  • Straight-4 piston engine
  • Rear power take-off
  • manually raised/lowered rear attachment

The entire model only contains 3 motors, 2 driving the model with the third one driving the rear PTO as well as the fake engine. Note that the battery box and IR receiver are probably not in their final locations yet - I just attached them to the chassis at seemingly reasonable points to avoid a mess of wires while working on the model. I also realize the rear attachment is way too long so I'll definitely look at that part a second time. I'll also make at least one attachment for this tractor - either a mower or a crane like the 42054. 

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photos:

Q7jTi9o.jpg

GgLRUqx.jpg

brHgyEM.jpg

qN8sVfR.jpg

9C4VWOE.jpg

Ep5QFNR.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I assume it should be this one..

http://rogergsmith.typepad.co.uk/.a/6a00e54efb2c7088330133f588d334970b-popup

First thing what I see that you need additional 2 cylinders...

Currently I only have those 4 slotted engine blocks with me right now, a lot of my parts are currently in Iowa. Seeing that this model will likely place a strain on my already limited range of parts and that a lot of compromises (such as the engine) would have to be made, I'm thinking about delaying this MOC until after brickfair.

Edited by JLiu15

6 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Currently I only have those 4 slotted engine blocks with me right now, a lot of my parts are currently in Iowa. Seeing that this model will likely place a strain on my already limited range of parts and that a lot of compromises (such as the engine) would have to be made, I'm thinking about delaying this MOC until after brickfair.

I understand. One things are our wishes and another things are possibilities...

When the time is right you will make you decision. Take my case; I have made several different Unimog U423 chassis (1:12, 1:14.5, 1:15, 1:16, 1:17.5 and 1:18) and the truth is always somewhere in the middle ?

...so everything is compromise.

3 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I understand. One things are our wishes and another things are possibilities...

When the time is right you will make you decision. Take my case; I have made several different Unimog U423 chassis (1:12, 1:14.5, 1:15, 1:16, 1:17.5 and 1:18) and the truth is always somewhere in the middle ?

...so everything is compromise.

Haha

I'm gonna wait till after brickfair and have more parts available to build with (I currently have two finished MOCs taking up a big chunk of my available pieces). 

By then not only will I be able to incorporate a proper straight-6 (not to mention the current engine looks straight up ugly) I'll also be able to make a better reinforced chassis with L motors and include SBrick for better control. 

BTW, I'm curious to see your unimog!

1 hour ago, JLiu15 said:

Haha

I'm gonna wait till after brickfair and have more parts available to build with (I currently have two finished MOCs taking up a big chunk of my available pieces). 

By then not only will I be able to incorporate a proper straight-6 (not to mention the current engine looks straight up ugly) I'll also be able to make a better reinforced chassis with L motors and include SBrick for better control. 

BTW, I'm curious to see your unimog!

To se my Unimog just go through this topic....

Currently I'm waiting for parts to make right side door like this

140210504dp-mhu800-parallelogramm-unimog

About your MOC, a time ago I was 90% tractor builder and still working on two systems tractors, but all my creations will have one topic in future...

New Challenges have much bigger drive wheel and very small idler wheel, so it is very difficult to built accurate model. A while ago I had contact with Carsten who build this

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=375983

...but I do not know if he had Eurobricks account

And member @jorgeopesi made this small beauty

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=541369

Good choice and the beginning. I want to see the finished tractor.

And that's my little tractor

I had no details "Bright Yellowish Green"

Spoiler

cat-ketten-cat-rder3hi74.png

Edited by super-jaschka

3 hours ago, I_Igor said:

To se my Unimog just go through this topic....

Currently I'm waiting for parts to make right side door like this

140210504dp-mhu800-parallelogramm-unimog

About your MOC, a time ago I was 90% tractor builder and still working on two systems tractors, but all my creations will have one topic in future...

New Challenges have much bigger drive wheel and very small idler wheel, so it is very difficult to built accurate model. A while ago I had contact with Carsten who build this

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=375983

...but I do not know if he had Eurobricks account

And member @jorgeopesi made this small beauty

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=541369

That's a cool version of the Unimog! Never seen it before!

Do you mean the standard Lego sprocket is not big enough for a properly sized drive wheel? That was the main reason I chose the 95E instead of the 55 - if Lego made a bigger sprocket wheel I would've done the Challenger 55 instead.

1 hour ago, super-jaschka said:

Good choice and the beginning. I want to see the finished tractor.

And that's my little tractor

I had no details "Bright Yellowish Green"

Reveal hidden contents

cat-ketten-cat-rder3hi74.png

I like your use of a rim in place of the rear sprocket - the lack of a larger sprocket was something that forced me to do the 95E instead of the 55.

However something just feels wrong about the current chassis to me - I'm holding this project off until after brickfair and will probably rebuild the chassis from scratch with L motors and a better rear PTO.

@JLiu15 I meant that LEGO does not offer big enough sprocket at the moment. Thanks for compliment. With the time you evolve your model to look as much as original 

UPDATE 7/21/18

Hey guys, after struggling to get enough of the necessary parts to make this model I'm holding it off until after BrickFair. If I were to do it for BrickFair I would have to end up compromising so many features that the finished model would be nowhere as good as the other two MOCs I'm bringing to the expo. In the meantime I've taken apart the original chassis save the individual tracks, and I plan on including the following in the final version:

• Drive using 2 L motors instead of M motors, placed side by side instead of "at the ends". This would save space for a proper rear attachment and PTO.
  • Straight-6 piston engine, driven by a separate motor also connected to the rear PTO (similar to original setup)
  • Motorized raising/lowering of the rear attachment
  • Full SBrick control (the piston engine/PTO motor would be turned on/off by a button instead of a lever in the SBrick app)
  • Powered by the 8878 rechargeable battery (smaller and weighs less than the AA battery box)

As of right now I have the individual track pieces ready for the final version. Between them would probably sit a 5x7 frame and some beams to reinforce them. I'm still trying to decide what circular piece to use near the sprockets - the original's are pretty large but I can't seem to find the right piece to represent it.

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photos:

o2pq1Lr.jpg

sj4Wcr2.jpg

Zr2CA54.jpg

zBLFvJW.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Hmm, i think one of These would look good.

Edited by doggo
Grammar

On 7/21/2018 at 11:14 PM, doggo said:

Hmm, i think one of These would look good.

That was literally what I just used that I realized weren't accurate enough. Look at my first update.

EDIT: I'm just gonna keep the sprockets plain. Those large round wheels on the real thing are incredibly difficult to replicate accurately. I'll further explain in the next update.

Edited by JLiu15

27 minutes ago, Dafgek81 said:

Are you going to make instructions for this beast??

No, sorry.

Edited by JLiu15

3 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Too good to share, eh? :grin: Looks really great, though. We need more CLAAS stuff - take note, TLG!

Thanks! Lmao it's bc I don't know how to make instructions :laugh:

UPDATE 8/14/18

After BrickFair I returned to Iowa for a week so I was able to bring the rest of my parts collection to New Jersey. This, along with my BrickFair MOCs taken apart, means I now have my entire parts collection available for the build. I immediately started working on a new chassis, this time much more compact than the previous one due to the drive motors being placed parallel to the tracks. This also allowed for more room in the rear for a proper attachment.

The current plan is that the new chassis will consist of two L motors driving the left/right tracks and two M motors - one driving the rear PTO/fake engine and one raising/lowering the rear attachment. One of the M motors (the one for PTO/fake engine) is already in place.

Any suggestions? Please let me know :classic:

Photos:

r7QsMXS.jpg

Xp8O8Lh.jpg

bXhtZMS.jpg

y8LcIuo.jpg

KcWkeVh.jpg

lldV2w4.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 8/17/18

Lots of progress over the past couple days. All the motors are in place - a M motor drives the rear PTO and another controls the rear attachment. Both mechanisms use the 24T gear w/ clutch to protect the motor.

I did decide, however, to omit the piston engine. There's little space under the hood and the model is front-heavy enough already. It also seems pretty absurd for a piston engine to be connected to the PTO mechanism only and not in any way connected to the tracks.

The hood was built as its own separate module and then attached to the chassis. It forms a very robust connection with it so there's no problem with picking up the model from the hood. I did, however, have to compromise on some parts of it, hence the gaps on its sides.

Like my Kenworth T600, I'm using a fair amount of System pieces in combination with Technic to model some of the details that are harder to do with purely Technic. The front counterweight, for instance, is essentially just a couple of bricks but held on strong enough that the model can be picked up by it. I may also put lime green tiles on the side beams (whatever you call them) to cover up the pins.

At this point I've also added plenty of "detail" elements - from items as small as the fire extinguisher (which is just a minifig gun attached to a red pin joiner by a half pin) to the large exhaust and air intake (I think) on the right. Despite being just a couple elements, they seem to have greatly helped the aesthetics of the model.

Unfortunately I've encountered a significant problem at this point of the build: the model currently tips forward due to how front-heavy it is. To be fair the cab, battery box, and rear section are not in yet, which should help balance the weight distribution, but I may have to play around with things a bit before I can call the tractor finished. The rear attachment will definitely balance it out, and my guess is the front-heaviness is actually crucial to maintaining balance when there's a rear attachment, but then again these tractors don't seem to tip over even when there's no attachment. Looks like lots of experimentation coming my way... :sceptic:

My goal right now is to finish this MOC by the end of the month, right before school starts so I can get it all filmed and stuff before I get busy with school. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me :classic:

Photos:

IhH0bhG.jpg

1QTD3PH.jpg

nyhiSBY.jpg

UECpbMu.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

20 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

The hood was built as its own separate module and then attached to the chassis. It forms a very robust connection with it so there's no problem with picking up the model from the hood. I did, however, have to compromise on some parts of it, hence the gaps on its sides.

Could you post a picture of real machine?
I think that these gaps could be removed.

I think bonnet shape is good. @M_longer this is real machine

4080-1b20a6a137065a7281a66d5a01e1cad1-16

Edited by I_Igor

14 hours ago, M_longer said:

Could you post a picture of real machine?
I think that these gaps could be removed.

I've already compromised a ton on the hood so I had to leave out some part ig:laugh: I should be doing an update in the next few days featuring the completed cab. 

14 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I think bonnet shape is good. @M_longer this is real machine

4080-1b20a6a137065a7281a66d5a01e1cad1-16

Thanks! That was definitely the hardest part imo.

Tractor bonnet is usually the hardest part to replicate because they are more and more narrow with rounded shapes which are very hard to replicate with current parts...and fake engine is usually too big to fit properly

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Tractor bonnet is usually the hardest part to replicate because they are more and more narrow with rounded shapes which are very hard to replicate with current parts...and fake engine is usually too big to fit properly

I agree.

UPDATE 8/19/18

Tractor is now about 90% complete. Cab with full interior is now complete, and a rechargeable battery sits behind it. The tracks have also been modified to solve the tilting issue - the oscillating road wheels are now attached to a solid beam for the track to remain "flat" at all times, preventing the forward tilt. 

Currently only things I need to do on the tractor are the rear paneling and side rails, as well as some final touch-ups. The tractor should be finished in the coming days in which I will do another update. I will spend the rest of week working on a rear attachment, and then the MOC will be complete.

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know. :classic:

Photos:

K3vpfVj.jpg

Nm0GOtu.jpg

fbLHRpm.jpg

l7bjlGh.jpg

0pB1PIH.jpg

bgsNF2j.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Very nice, but a few things here need to be changed IMO:

The seat is too small for the cab, the A-pillars don't have a steep enough angle (the front windscreen looks weird like it is now) and your bonnet extends a few studs too far (it looks completely out of scale relative to your tracks).

Keep building! This is very promising.