knotian

Quandry developing instructions.

Now I don't want any "It should never be done" comments:classic:

I have completed most of a complex technic model and am considering doing an instruction set.

When I am working I sometimes have to 'stress' a part or maybe 'bend it a little' to fit into the model. The resultant connections are not stressed, it's just I can't figure a way to do it another way. In a couple of cases I actually tried to build another copy, after the first one was done, and still could not figure a way to do it. Another thing I have run into is having to build a part of an assembly that has absolutely nothing to do with the current assembly, but will be used later.

Has anyone run into this situation and figured a way to document this type of 'kludge construction'?

Thanx,

Ed

This happened to me multiple times while designing Technic chassis for a MOC. Lost interest in building a body around it and decided not to waste effort by doing instructions. Had to think a lot and eventually found a way of building model the usual way without need to stress any parts. I think it is possible to find such assembly procedure, you just need to give it more time to think how another person would be building this for the first time.

If you want to do it, make sure you note at the stage involved that you'll be bending/stressing the part to get it installed.

If you don't, people will think the instructions are wrong and you'll get poor feedback.

If you publish and get some people building, hopefully you'll get some response from them about how it could be done better, than you might then update into your BI. It might just need another pair of eyes. Often when you're the designer you get so heavily focussed or invested in how you did it that it can be hard to see another way.

You could do a little call-out with some kind of bent or broken piece pictured or something similar. 

Or you could post a picture of said assembly and ask advice from the many talented builders here, who knows there may be a better way you just don't see.