BerndDasBrot

PICTORIAL REVIEW: 8862 Backhoe Grader

Hi!

This is my forth pre-old-school review.

As promised: a yellow-set ! My 8862 arrived today, survived the washing machine coaster and actually was real fun to build!

p1080532klein.jpg

#1: information:

This set contains 664 parts (only! I thought I’d be far more!) and was released in 1989 in the TECHNIC theme.

Be sure to visit Technopedia if you want to know more!

#2: building instructions:

Wow these instructions are used! I'm not used to this after all this sets with unread instruction booklets...

p1080515klein.jpg

The pneumatics page:

p1080516klein.jpg

The last step for the alternate model:

p1080517klein.jpg

#3: the parts:

Wow! Look at all those technic beams, gears, pins...!

(A few parts are missing in this photo!)

p1080518klein.jpg

#3: building:

The left worm gear is for the outriggers, the right one for turning the “rear boom”

p1080519klein.jpg

The three 12L Axles: left one: outriggers, middle one: steering, right one: erm… rear-boom-rotation.

p1080520klein.jpg

The two worm gears in the front part: left one: lifting the bucket, right one: dumping the bucket.

p1080521klein.jpg

p1080522klein.jpg

The turning-mechanism for the “rear-boom” is finished. Once again a toothed 10L axle.

The Boat Weight 2x6x2 is hidden underneath the radiator grill.

p1080523klein.jpg

Okay… many hoses and a nice, comfy seat have been added.

p1080524klein.jpg

Now you can recognize the Backhoes real shape. Only with a little violence it’s possible to lift the bonnet (?) through the Pneumatic Pump.

p1080525klein.jpg

Yeah, outriggers. Same technique that the 8854 uses.

p1080526klein.jpg

The finished “boom / jib / scoop thing” (=BJST) :-| X-D

p1080528klein.jpg

The finished loader bucket.

p1080529klein.jpg

And to end the building process: the same picture from the introduction.

(OFF-TOPIC: “It is all part of the miracle of nature! - The circle of life!”

p1080532klein.jpg

#4: functionality:

This time, I tried something new!

I hope you can spot something - if not: Technopedia!

Okay, here we go.

p1080556klein.jpg

p1080557klein.jpg

p1080558klein.jpg

p1080559klein.jpg

p1080560klein.jpg

p1080561klein.jpg

p1080562klein.jpg

p1080563klein.jpg

#5: random shots:

I’ve got way too many pictures this time, so I refer to my brickshelf folder.

Until it’s moderated you can follow the multilingual links!

eins

deux

three

quattro

fem

zes

sédem

osiem

#6: final thoughts:

Definitely worth buying! As a child I thought it looks hideous - but today I’ve found out it’s totally fun to build and freaking functional.

Three things I want to mention though:

• The BJST can only be slewed (a new word!) if the outriggers are deployed.
  • It is also possible that the BJST will reach the ground (danger of grinding or sticking) even if the outriggers are deployed.
  • The two mechanisms for the loader bucket can actually interlock, and the 14 tooth gears might break / disentangle from the axle.

thanks for viewing the pictures, I hope you enjoyed it!

Please comment if you want to!

Ah, what a very fine classic set.... and all these lovely Technic beams with studs! *wub*

Thank you very much for that excellent review, Bernd, and you did a fantastic job with all these great pictures! :'-) *y*

Thanks for the review. It looks beautiful. My father was a backhoe driver, so understandably I used to drool over this set in the catalogs. I never did get it though as Lego was so expensive in Australia then; I had around 2000 pieces and I thought I had loads! :-D Anyway, last year I bought 8455, which I love; it works great with a compressor I made too! *sweet* I wish mine had a real cab though... :'-(

Do you have 8455 as well? I'd love to see how they compare side by side... It looks bigger than 8455 but I don't own any of the big old chuncky tires so I find it so hard to tell.

By the way, I have been reading all of your reviews but I have been a bit busy of late so I haven't had time to comment. I hope you have more planned; any chance of a supercar one?

Another nice review. The slow shutter speed pictures are great. I think that was the only set with 8 distinct functions for a very long time and was only displaced by the 8455 Backhoe in that respect.

The turntable on the back doesn't turn very well though, as the weight is all distributed on one side. The screw axle prevents it from popping off but there is still a lot of friction in it. I don't have mine built anymore but it might be worth trying to put a weight brick or something on it.

Do you have 8455 as well? I'd love to see how they compare side by side... It looks bigger than 8455 but I don't own any of the big old chuncky tires so I find it so hard to tell.

Yeah, it's quite a bit bigger. When everything is fully extended, it becomes something like 26" long. Although the 8455 actually has more/better functionality.

Edited by CP5670

Thanks for your feedback!

I like both, but I would say 8455 is far more than just a studless version!

with 10 pneumatic cylinders and 2 pneumatic pumps it's a wonderful set for every pneumatic freak.

Unfortunately I don't own the 8455 - YET. ;-)

I hope you have more planned; any chance of a supercar one?

I foreshadowed a black review a few days ago... guess which one... X-O X-D

A great review for a great set!

It even had the old technic T-pieces and bevels, which I actually prefer to their modern counterparts.

The turntable on the back doesn't turn very well though, as the weight is all distributed on one side. The screw axle prevents it from popping off but there is still a lot of friction in it.

I got mine for £20 in a second hand shop; it said complete, but one of the screw knuts was missing! X-O So it's practically impossible to keep the back arm on with only one |-/ And they're rather rare on BL too |-/

yesterday while building, I accidentaly dropped a Axle Nut.

Of course I'm working in a total mess and so it tool some time 'til I found it again.

there are ~324 axle nuts on bricklink with an Avg Price of $0.89.

I didn't know of this Accessory-set: 5110-2...

You can buy it for $40.00 8-�

But I wants it cheap! *sing* And I would still call 324 quite rare. And I also want to just tack it onto another order. *sad*

yeah, I meant they're rare. ;-)

but I can imagine that a normal axle with the old half bushes will help.

Sometimes these are really strong; if you put 2-3 in a row?

EDIT: I just tried it: a normal 10L axle with 2 interlocking old half bushes type 1 on each end. (I chose those who only can be moved very hardly along an axle.)

I slewed the BJST / back arm a few times tried the pneumatics parallel to it and it didn't loose.

Edited by BerndDasBrot

I didn't know of this Accessory-set: 5110-2...

You can buy it for $40.00 8-�

I was thinking of getting one of those off BL several years ago, back when the price used to be more like $15 or so, but I realized that I hardly ever use the couple that I already have. :-P

They came out with the modern turntable the year after this set, which mostly negated the need for these screw axles. I think their only use now is to hold non-Lego objects onto models, like the Technic pen in 8094. I guess you can try to make linear actuators out of them, but they're often too rare and fragile for that.

Thanks! *sweet*

glad to see that I could help!

I guess you can try to make linear actuators out of them

could you explain your thoughts please? You know: my english skills ;-)

Hi!

This is my forth pre-old-school review.

As promised: a yellow-set ! My 8862 arrived today, survived the washing machine coaster and actually was real fun to build!

The finished “boom / jib / scoop thing” (=BJST) :-| X-D

thanks for viewing the pictures, I hope you enjoyed it!

Another great review and a wonderful set of pictures. I like your nomenclature for the BJST. Acronyms always sound nicely scientific; much better than "digger". No one would know you made it up until they found out what it means. I also really like what I will call your "kinetic photos". They convey a sense of motion and show the range of the mechanism without the big file sizes of animations. How long of a shutter speed did you use?

The secret to not getting too much friction in the turntable is using extra nuts and jamming them together. You don't want to actually clamp the nuts tight across the turntable. You want to jam two nuts tightly together at each end which prevents them from unwinding, but still leave a little free play (gap). This way it will hold the assembly together but not prevent it from moving. Mine moves quite easily. This same concept is used on the pen plotter or 8094.

"Slewed"? I think that's a word. How about "slewn" or "slain" or "slewifacated"? I think "rotated" is best. *sweet*

Eric

WOW thanks for putting up this thread, that reminded me that I own that one too. *sweet*

And I loved it as a kid.

By the way, don't forget to build the alternate model of 8862. It is a combine (farm equipment) which is just as good as 8274. I liked it so much that I bought two copies of this set so I could display both.

My favorite alternate model (not counting Universal Sets) is the 8480 submarine. Maybe it is time for a white set review? *skull* White is pretty rare. For your blue set, I recommend you review 8462. There are only a couple of green sets, and 8479 is the best. And then of course, 8458 is silver!!

I think we all know what the best black set is. And according to your photography, you have lots of them! But don't forget 8868.

Eric

could you explain your thoughts please? You know: my english skills ;-)

I was thinking you could somehow attach a 16-tooth dark gray gear (the one that spins freely around axles) to the nut, which would make the axle move in and out when the gear turned and convert the gear's rotary motion to linear motion in a fairly compact package. Although there are other ways of doing the same thing that don't use such rare parts, and the 2008 Technic sets will come with pre-built linear actuators anyway.

How long of a shutter speed did you use?

15 seconds.

By the way, don't forget to build the alternate model of 8862.

I will review it too and post it in this topic!

"Slewed"? I think that's a word. How about "slewn" or "slain" or "slewifacated"? I think "rotated" is best.

actually I took it from your site! X-D

White is pretty rare.

unfortunately I don't own 8480 but I think 8824 is also a very good (though small) white set!

8462 rocks as a blue set. I just got it a few weeks ago. Let's see...

8462 also is one of the last TECHNIC sets I would call Old-school. 8479... okay too, but 8458 is IMHO not.

8868 and the totally mysteriously black set will follow...!

I was thinking you could somehow attach a 16-tooth dark gray gear (the one that spins freely around axles) to the nut, which would make the axle move in and out when the gear turned and convert the gear's rotary motion to linear motion in a fairly compact package.

Did you had something like this in mind?

temp.jpg

if the toothed 10L axle rotates the axle nuts want to rotate too but they can't because of that 2x4 Technic Plate. So they'll decide to move along the axle. The 1x6 Bricks on each end make sure that the axle won't move in or out.

15 seconds.

Wow, that's a long exposure. I would think you would get way too much light and overexpose the image. The aperture must have been tiny.

I will review it too and post it in this topic!

Cool. I am also planning to write about the combine on Technicopedia.

Combine

actually I took it from your site! X-D

I thought that word sounded familiar!

unfortunately I don't own 8480 but I think 8824 is also a very good (though small) white set!

8462 also is one of the last TECHNIC sets I would call Old-school. 8479... okay too, but 8458 is IMHO not.

8868 and the totally mysteriously black set will follow...!

You don't own 8480? That is unacceptable. It is imperative that you put a mortgage on your house immediately to get it! *sweet*

Yes, 8824 is a good white set. I also see from your room photos that you have the 8839 Supply Ship which has lots of white. This is a really nice set.

8462 is hard to call old school, but at least it uses regular beams. The air tanks are the best part of the set. I wish LEGO had used them more often, especially on the highly pneumatic sets. The tank makes all the difference on 8459.

You are right, 8458 is certainly not old school, but it is a great set with wonderful suspension. It is of the same era as the Super Street Sensation with all of the panels for body contouring.

8868 is Technic at its best. There is nothing else like it, especially with the compressor.

Did you had something like this in mind

if the toothed 10L axle rotates the axle nuts want to rotate too but they can't because of that 2x4 Technic Plate. So they'll decide to move along the axle. The 1x6 Bricks on each end make sure that the axle won't move in or out.

While the assembly you have drawn would work as a linear actuator, I would not recommend it. The torsional stiffness and strength of an axle are proportional to the polar moment of inertia, a section property. Most of the stiffness comes from the outside of the cross shaped axle. But in the threaded axle, you lose all the stiffness of the outer area because it is not continuous. This means you only get stiffness and strength from the small core. I think the threaded axle would bend and break very easily if subjected to much torque.

Eric

Yeah, the Tow Truck was the last set that still used mainly studded beams. They made many changes to Technic the following year, with models becoming predominantly studless and making heavy use of the flexible axles/hoses and decorative panels. The Technic logo and box art style was also changed a lot.

I really like the overall construction of that set. The model is fairly lightweight but extremely sturdy. It must be one of the strongest large sets they've released.

Did you had something like this in mind?

temp.jpg

That's basically the idea. As Blakbird said though, it wouldn't be very powerful and would put the axle under some stress. The linear actuators they're bringing out this year do the same thing and should work much better.

Wow, that's a long exposure. I would think you would get way too much light and overexpose the image. The aperture must have been tiny.

for the aperture I don't know what I've used, but my room was already very darkend as I tool the photos. It was actually serendipity. ;-)

Cool. I am also planning to write about the combine on Technicopedia.

I will but I'll need some time. I really shoud do a few things for university (that's also the reason why I succeded in so many other things... :-| )

You don't own 8480? That is unacceptable. It is imperative that you put a mortgage on your house immediately to get it!

NOT AGAIN!!! *sing* (just kidding. my parents will. X-D )

While the assembly you have drawn would work as a linear actuator, I would not recommend it. The torsional stiffness and strength of an axle are proportional to the polar moment of inertia, a section property. Most of the stiffness comes from the outside of the cross shaped axle. But in the threaded axle, you lose all the stiffness of the outer area because it is not continuous. This means you only get stiffness and strength from the small core. I think the threaded axle would bend and break very easily if subjected to much torque.

The toothed 10L axle doesn't look very robust, you're right. On brickshelf I once saw another version using a worm gear and a halfbush being moved along another axle.

Edited by BerndDasBrot

I'm very sorry for that doublepost...

I made a picture for you, sinner, but forgot to upload it:

Your dad, Patrick Parrot, driving a giant backhoe.

Sadly his second job as Photojournalist and the fact that Bianca Lamb was strolling by, distracted him. as a consequence he spoiled the whole construction site bringing death and doom with a Technic Backhoe to Fabuland. And a little Walrus baby. *y* :-P

parrot.jpg

Thanks for another classic review! Man, I wish I had this set. The shovels should have been black though.

A great review. I only have new sets, so looking at old ones like this is great.

I would suggest multiple pictures blended together afterwards, instead of the long exposure pictures.

Now you can recognize the Backhoes real shape. Only with a little violence it’s possible to lift the bonnet (?) through the Pneumatic Pump.

p1080525klein.jpg

Aren't you supposed to fit the bonnet over the pump, and then attach it to the main frame ?

Front

@ black shovel: I just tried a black shovel but I can't / don't want to determine which looks better.

A great review. I only have new sets, so looking at old ones like this is great.

I would suggest multiple pictures blended together afterwards, instead of the long exposure pictures.

[PIC]

Aren't you supposed to fit the bonnet over the pump, and then attach it to the main frame ?

Front

@ long exposure pictures: It was a test. Blending pictures together should be no problem if I use a tripod. But they don't feature this "woosh-effect". ;-)

@ bonnet: I think this is how TLC planned it. With a little violence it is possible to lift the bonnet "through" the pump and erm- open it totally. I wanted to show that.

Edited by BerndDasBrot

Some time ago I sort of complained about the fact that there was not much Technic represented in the Eurobricks community (this was the topic, if someone is interested).

I am glad to see someone took that complaint serious and started reviewing technic sets on large scale to show us how fascinating the theme really is!

This review is once again an excellent one, I really enjoyed reading it.

I must buy this set sometime soon because I always liked the three-way pneumatic system it came with and the overall look of the machine. For many years it seemed out of reach, much to expensive and hard to come by as a kid. Now as an adult there are many ways to acquire this wonderful set.

Keep on reviewing!

*y*