klsalejandro

Where to get started with Advanced building?

I recently just got back into Lego and I'd like to learn how to build using the more advanced techniques and building philosophies.

My main problem I don't know where to start. My Lego collection is pretty limited and I don't know if I should just buy pieces in bulk and get hands on experience that way or if there are any recommended sets that can get me started. 

I have been playing around with LDD but I feel like I need actual bricks to practice with. 

General practise - build modern sets and other people's MOCs.

There's no such thing as taking course to learn something new, so it would be much easier to learn from building. You can challenge yourself also. Try building something new, especially a replica, of something you like. You'll quickly get stuck where standard (known) solutions don't work, so you have to figure out something. That's the way I do it. 

Alternatively, check following Flickr groups:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2137094@N21/pool/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/788191@N24/pool/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/creatingnewbrick/pool/

Yeah, I've basically been on flickr non-stop this week. I was hoping there'd be a cost-effective way to get the pieces I would need but I guess i have to bite the bullet and just buy sets so I learn what I actually need in the first place. 

Thanks!

Sets are good for general collection growth. If you need any particular pieces - use Bricklink.

Good question!

If I were you, I would look for the LEGO Master Builder Academy books.  These were written in part with many of the LEGO Master Builders and they show and highlight techniques used.  It's written to teach and is a very useful resource.  When I used to work in the LEGO stores, these were what I would recommend to people who were looking for exactly what you're searching for.  They aren't printed anymore, but can be found in some places.  You don't need the pieces, but you may want them.  The important items are the books.  Those are going to help you out the most.  There were a total of 12 books/levels.  Good luck!

47 minutes ago, Stash2Sixx said:

Good question!

If I were you, I would look for the LEGO Master Builder Academy books.  These were written in part with many of the LEGO Master Builders and they show and highlight techniques used.  It's written to teach and is a very useful resource.  When I used to work in the LEGO stores, these were what I would recommend to people who were looking for exactly what you're searching for.  They aren't printed anymore, but can be found in some places.  You don't need the pieces, but you may want them.  The important items are the books.  Those are going to help you out the most.  There were a total of 12 books/levels.  Good luck!

Wow, I never knew about this. Thanks, will definitely try to find some of these! 

Also, yeah zux I've been on that site for most of this day lol

I would build some Modulars and watch some tutorials from people like Derfel Cadarn, he has some great tutorials on his Flickr for advanced techniques

On 7/19/2018 at 3:47 PM, klsalejandro said:

I have been playing around with LDD

I wouldn't recommend it. I always find this the worst thing. People create digital projects that never work in the real world all the time, be it just that they use elements in colors they aren't actually available. Also as they say "Need is the mother of invention" and I find that quite often not having a specific part at hand forces me to think of alternate, often better solutions. It's the old curse of all engineering - if you have all options, you tend to settle for the simplest solution.

As for learning stuff I would simply buy a bunch of sets. In recent years LEGO have taken on a very liberal attitude and use techniques that once were considered "illegal" in their own sets, so you can learn a lot by just building. Getting the books the otehrs recommended might be nice, but a lot of the stuff shown there is mainstream these days, anyway, and it may be more efficient to buy just more contemporary sets to stock up your parts and get some variety than spending a lot of money on expensive collectibles.

Mylenium

I'd also recommend looking at the RBGs around here: Guilds of Historica, Brethren of the Brick Seas and Andromeda's gates.  There are some really fantastic builders there to inspire you.

I can't offer very much advice as I'm in the same boat, but I can vouch for The Brethren of the Brick Seas. Some of them can make some incredible builds in the 16's, 17's, and 1800's style architecture. If you haven't already check out our Flickr group!

I would suggest sandboxing yourself get a couple of creator sets and do alternative builds :D Don't need to worry about parts just build!

Just build. Yes, grabbing sets and building those will help, but I think more important is to just build and keep pushing yourself when you do. Then, when you inevitably have an "I'm not happy with that" feeling about something you just built (Or even "I could do that better") open up Google and look for how others did it. Scroll all the way down looking at how others did it. And again ask "how can I do that better?" Through that process you'll see continual improvement, till one day you're looking through Google and you go "Hey that's a sweet MOC" and a heartbeat later realise it's yours.

The other piece of advice I'd give is kind of linked to that. Look at a LOT of MOCs. Flickrs great for that. You're going to pick up a lot of useful tips just doing that. So that next time you want to build a rock wall you ask yourself "Okay, but what kind of rock wall?" rather than just "How?" (There really are hundreds of different ways to build Rock wall, and a desert cliff shouldn't be the same as a waterfalls edge.)

Oh, and perhaps most important of all is don't be afraid to fail. If you're not occasionally failing, you're not trying hard enough.

I'd echo @Mylenium and @chubbybots2 while also recommending you grab some newer sets you think look cool and then alt-build the heck out of them. Working from a limited selection of bricks can help you see creative solutions you might miss otherwise. You can also look up the instructions for any modern set on lego.com if you don't actually want to *buy* the set but still want to see how its made, then try and emulate those techniques with your own collection.

Since you aren't looking for anything in particular, you may also consider buying partial/incomplete sets off of eBay or local classifieds as a great way to bulk up while saving a bundle.

The more you build, the more you learn. Start with simple sets, then get more complex sets, pay attention to complex building techniques in he sets.

Andy D

My advice is relatively simple. Buy sets that look like they may have interesting parts or techniques. This allows you to build your general brick collection and you will learn techniques by building the sets. (I always build every set I get, it helps) Find a real world thing that inspires you and try to MOC it. Try try and try again. Look at what other people have done; borrowing techniques isn't bad. (If you post it it's nice to reference where you got ideas or techniques if it was someone specific). As other people have said, try to design with what you have, but don't be afraid to buy specific parts either. The best way to become a good builder is by practicing...

On 7/19/2018 at 3:47 PM, klsalejandro said:

I have been playing around with LDD but I feel like I need actual bricks to practice with. 

To each his own, but I'd suggest giving it another try.

I believe the most advanced stuff will always come out of the LDD. For the simple reason that the little part in the middle of a large build, it takes a click to change it in a virtual build, it takes 10min to change it in the real build.
You've got to be a real expert to do great stuff without the LDD, because you have to already know what to do. And you've got to already have every part.