AE bricks

Which one looks best ?

It's a very simple question, which one looks best ?
My idea was to build a tandem loc, so both would have to look more alike and thus one of them would have te be adjusted again, or should I keep them the way they are?

The story behind this can be read in the spoiler further down this post.

yellow_moc_A_small

Spoiler

Some of you will think this is just a variation or MOD on the yellow loc from set 7939.

Well I can't blame you but honestly, i started this MOC from scratch with some left over 6x24 baseplates and yellow cabs

I intended to build a belgium railway (called NMBS) type HLE 13, like this one:

NMBS 1337 loc

As i started building, more and more yellow bricks fell into place, and far to little grey is added in the MOC now to feel the resemblance.

Plus once i started building the roof I made it more diesel like instead of sticking to an electrical overhead.

The 6x24 baseplate is just long enough to get the IR reciever and battery box into place with only 2 studs between them to squize the cables.

yellow_moc_E_small

If i wouldn't spend so much money on new bricks (i have some more WIP at the moment) i'd buy some extra custom made stickers for these locs, but it's a "nice to have" instead of a priority.

yellow_moc_D_small

yellow_moc_C_small

Greets, AE

Edited by AE bricks
Added an extra <br> around the spoiler

Agreed, left one.  As for the right one, maybe put the tile grills in yellow behind different color plates and see how that looks?

4 hours ago, pirzyk said:

Agreed, left one.  As for the right one, maybe put the tile grills in yellow behind different color plates and see how that looks?

This is what I was going to say.  The left one, but perhaps the grill plates in yellow or dark grey instead of black so there's not quite so much contrast but still some visual interest there.

Left, OK, but I would use dark grey grills, or ever yellow ones with contrast in the back. Black stands out very well but it also almost "tears" the engine into several pieces.

Oh well, I am color blind, so don't bother.

Best
Thorsten

23 hours ago, deraven said:

This is what I was going to say.  The left one, but perhaps the grill plates in yellow or dark grey instead of black so there's not quite so much contrast but still some visual interest there.

Great, I will give that a try but need to check how many grill plates I have in those colors, might need to order some on BL first. 

Thanks to all the others as well, the votes are quite clear. :laugh:

AE

AE Bricks,

I know you asked for input between the two versions but would you mind if I offer some additional ideas to consider? 

My first idea would be wither or not you have you considered yellow grille instead of black? Black does give it the feeling of a large hole, which most radiator areas are but even more so. My second idea stems from the fact that most diesel locomotives are asymmetric in design with the radiator components shifted to one area. (Siemens Vectrons, Electro Motive Diesel and General Electric, etc, even the DB BR 210 is asymmetric.) There are exceptions to this and they involve the likes of dual engine locomotives as found of early generation diesel hydraulics or super locomotives. (Such as the BR V 200.0, EMD DD35 or DD40X, Baldwin Locomotive Works DR-6-4-2000, etc.) And my last idea concerns modern versus old. Modern locomotives tend to be less cluttered and more aesthetically pleasing design-wise (With the exception of most American designs.) while older ones tend to be more cluttered. (Again especially American designs. No I am not picking on them.)

That being said, I vote for the left one but with half of the current grille area. But anything can be built.

3D LEGO

PS: Most diesel-hydraulic/diesel-electric locomotives have a below frame fuel tank and or combo tank though exceptions do exist. (See New Zealand DJ Class.)

Edited by 3D LEGO
Duplicate word.

On 7/21/2018 at 12:37 AM, 3D LEGO said:

My second idea stems from the fact that most diesel locomotives are asymmetric in design with the radiator components shifted to one area. (Siemens Vectrons, Electro Motive Diesel and General Electric, etc, even the DB BR 210 is asymmetric.) There are exceptions to this and they involve the likes of dual engine locomotives as found of early generation diesel hydraulics or super locomotives. (Such as the BR V 200.0, EMD DD35 or DD40X, Baldwin Locomotive Works DR-6-4-2000, etc.) And my last idea concerns modern versus old. Modern locomotives tend to be less cluttered and more aesthetically pleasing design-wise (With the exception of most American designs.) while older ones tend to be more cluttered. (Again especially American designs. No I am not picking on them.

Thanks for your input. As mentioned in the hiden content of the post my idea was based on belgian railways NMBS HLE 13 series (by Alstom) which is by design symmetric. I will try different colors on the grill plates soon to replace the black ones. 

As for a next project i would like to build a Vossloh G2000BB like this one:

NMBS 5705

Although it will be almost impossible in 6 studs wide. Once i get my hands on a reasonably priced PU set i'll get started. The windows worry me a bit. Could use some examples on how to fix those :sceptic:

AE Bricks,

I look forward to what you come up with.

By the way, try searching for images of the Vossloh G2000BB. I found several different LEGO models that people have built. Such as Example A, Example B or Example C. If you stay clear of the two-thirds cab model then it should be fairly easy to design. (The other is not impossible, just harder.) The ends the locomotive are close enough to flat that you could get away with a lot in your design. Also sets 10219 and 60052 are good resources for inspiration on how to build the narrow mid section.

3D LEGO

Hello AE Bricks,

I choose the left one but I would try to have the horizontal gray line of the right one in it.

The gray horizontal line of the left one now jumps up with 1/3 brick.

Great enigines! I also like your signature a lot. The two enigines behind each other look great. In your signature the "left on" also has one "unbroken" gray horizontal line.  

So the one on the left looks better because the change in color breaks up the yellow wall, what about the one on the right with light or dark gray profile bricks instead of the yellow? The one on the right looks good because the gray/yellow boarder is straight and the tiles on the left design make the appearance a bit choppy. If you don't have enough of the grill bricks in dark gray, you could test the look out in LDD before you buy the bricks. You could also consider printed bricks to add something without the cost of custom stickers.