Sign in to follow this  
Puvel

[AoM] Wall Phase III: The yearly badger hunt

Every year the people gathered around to enjoy the badger hunt.

Dogs were set loose to chase them, it was up to the locals to show off their lassoing skills. This way the fur remained in excellent condition.

42592593325_04a0167727_c.jpg

The wall technique is by Simon NH

Edited by Puvel

Very nice moc. Using that wall technique looks brilliant on a large wall like that. How many bricks did it take? 

Good bit of fun with the badgers as well. 

Great work on the wall and the snowy landscape, but I feel like the wall is almost two much of the same. A tower or gate would break it up nicely. Great work otherwise.

13 hours ago, cablefoxley said:

Very nice moc. Using that wall technique looks brilliant on a large wall like that. How many bricks did it take? 

Good bit of fun with the badgers as well. 

Thanks! Think it's about 300 of the tiles per wall section? Ordered loads of them via lugbulk last year and still have a big bag left :laugh:

2 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Great work on the wall and the snowy landscape, but I feel like the wall is almost two much of the same. A tower or gate would break it up nicely. Great work otherwise.

Thanks! I added the tree and the hunt to make it a bit livelier but there's still a lot of grey indeed.

The plan was/is to make a gatehouse in the middle at some point, I built this back in January so figured I procrastinated enough and it was time to take some pics already  

This is a really nice build, the badgers look cute in the snow there!  Great tree too!

Very nice indeed! I have to second TM, something to break up all the tiles (my head is still a bit weebly from looking at them for too long, It hink :wink: ) would make it even cooler. I'd also like to point out that there are a few pretty nice minfigs standing on the wall. My favourite, however, is defenitely the one running htrough the snow! :thumbup:

That wall technique is beautiful :wub: A gatehouse in between the two wall sections would have looked tremendous, but I totally understand getting tired of working on a model after it takes much longer than you like.
Another thing that can help make a wall look more exciting, is to place it on uneven terrain or angle the wall across the landscape.

The tree adds a nice pop of color, and is well built. Great touch to have some icicles hanging from the wall too :thumbup:

The texture on the wall is great, though as others have said a gate or something else to break it up would have looked nice. I would try to make the base of the tree smaller, though the foliage is top-notch; the lower trunk just doesn't match what is above, in my opinion. I think your snowscape is particularly nice, and I love the figs. 

Is the guy chasing the animals absolutely sure that those are badgers and not skunks, though? He might be in for a smelly surprise...

Very creative to use the skunks as badgers!  Contrary to some of the others, I like the big grey wall effect.  It appears to be a well-maintained fortress wall to me.  If you wanted an older look, I would suggest maybe adding more texture as the others have said, but that is a personal preference in my opinion.  I love the color scheme with the snow, dead grasses and the awesome looking fall colored tree.  Great job!

Wow! Lovely wall! Makes some great details!

Clever idea with hunting badgers! I like the different figs on the wall as well

I think the wall technique and snow landscaping is great! The olive green grass fits right in. As said before, the wall looks very uniform, maybe some tiles in dark bluish gray would help?

On 7/19/2018 at 4:16 PM, Kai NRG said:

This is a really nice build, the badgers look cute in the snow there!  Great tree too!

Thanks Kai! 

On 7/19/2018 at 7:34 PM, TitusV said:

Very nice indeed! I have to second TM, something to break up all the tiles (my head is still a bit weebly from looking at them for too long, It hink :wink: ) would make it even cooler. I'd also like to point out that there are a few pretty nice minfigs standing on the wall. My favourite, however, is defenitely the one running htrough the snow! :thumbup:

Thanks Titus! Did my best to make some nice minifigs, spend ages looking for trousers matching the outfits and you can't even see those in the end :D

On 7/20/2018 at 1:26 PM, soccerkid6 said:

That wall technique is beautiful :wub: A gatehouse in between the two wall sections would have looked tremendous, but I totally understand getting tired of working on a model after it takes much longer than you like.
Another thing that can help make a wall look more exciting, is to place it on uneven terrain or angle the wall across the landscape.

The tree adds a nice pop of color, and is well built. Great touch to have some icicles hanging from the wall too :thumbup:

Thanks SK! I'll build a gatehouse at some point, just have fit it on one baseplate and it can slide right in then. Making the terrain in front of it is an excellent idea, I'll try to remember that

On 7/22/2018 at 7:18 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

The texture on the wall is great, though as others have said a gate or something else to break it up would have looked nice. I would try to make the base of the tree smaller, though the foliage is top-notch; the lower trunk just doesn't match what is above, in my opinion. I think your snowscape is particularly nice, and I love the figs. 

Is the guy chasing the animals absolutely sure that those are badgers and not skunks, though? He might be in for a smelly surprise...

Thanks HQ! You have some fair points. The lower trunk of the tree is a bit too wide on the right , should have put the foliage more in the middle. And they're undercover skunks living the dream of being a badger! Another possibility is that I totally forgot the existence of skunks but remembered about badgers. But let's go with me being creative like Grover said :P

On 7/23/2018 at 2:34 PM, Grover said:

Very creative to use the skunks as badgers!  Contrary to some of the others, I like the big grey wall effect.  It appears to be a well-maintained fortress wall to me.  If you wanted an older look, I would suggest maybe adding more texture as the others have said, but that is a personal preference in my opinion.  I love the color scheme with the snow, dead grasses and the awesome looking fall colored tree.  Great job!

Thanks Grover! Well-maintained fortress walls are a rare occurrence it seems, but they do a better job at defending!

On 7/28/2018 at 9:21 PM, de Gothia said:

Wow! Lovely wall! Makes some great details!

Clever idea with hunting badgers! I like the different figs on the wall as well

Thanks de Gothia!

20 hours ago, KevinyWu said:

I think the wall technique and snow landscaping is great! The olive green grass fits right in. As said before, the wall looks very uniform, maybe some tiles in dark bluish gray would help?

Thanks Kevin! Made this with 2x2 corner tiles and those are not available in dbg yet so had to go with a nice clean wall