J4ck

Marvel Superheroes 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ItamatTheGreat said:

Yeah, it's the exact opposite of too good to be true

Too true to be good? :laugh:

Joking aside, I withhold judgment until we see more pictures. Who knows, maybe there is printing on the headpiece but we don‘t see because it was put on backwards? :purrr:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Skrull image has come up, this time with the back as well. The figure has grown on me a bit (lack of detail is the only serious problem), but the cutoff still bugs me.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:07 PM, Lego-Freak said:

maybe there is printing on the headpiece but we don‘t see because it was put on backwards? :purrr:

There is no printing on either side. There could be two distinct Skrull figs in the set, and their headpieces were switched by the leaker, but it's unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized the Skrulls head piece is Genies from the Disney CMF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This lack of detailing is really starting to become offensive. I can’t believe how much more detailed the Overwatch line is than the last year+ of Marvel. It’s like someone at LEGO really hates the Superheroes Theme. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

25 minutes ago, PARED said:

This lack of detailing is really starting to become offensive. I can’t believe how much more detailed the Overwatch line is than the last year+ of Marvel. It’s like someone at LEGO really hates the Superheroes Theme. :(

I have to agree with you on this. Even comparing say 2015-16 Marvel sets to 17-18 is laughable as lack of details is so obvious. And here I was thinking that over the years LEGO will have more detailed minifigures. But nope. It’s especially sad when you see level of detail in LEGO Batman movie lineup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

 

I have to agree with you on this. Even comparing say 2015-16 Marvel sets to 17-18 is laughable as lack of details is so obvious. And here I was thinking that over the years LEGO will have more detailed minifigures. But nope. It’s especially sad when you see level of detail in LEGO Batman movie lineup. 

I think the reason that TLBM got so much attention was that TLG was trying to get people to see the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

 

I have to agree with you on this. Even comparing say 2015-16 Marvel sets to 17-18 is laughable as lack of details is so obvious. And here I was thinking that over the years LEGO will have more detailed minifigures. But nope. It’s especially sad when you see level of detail in LEGO Batman movie lineup. 

In fairness, every theme seems to be suffering, except for Star Wars. There's quite a lack of arm and leg printing, even in the new Overwatch theme, plus Overwatch's amount of new molds is typical of a new theme with very different looking elements. Even the Lego Movie 2 is suffering; Batman has a reused head, no duel molded arms and the colouring looks inaccurate to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you guys really should be worrying about is what the lack of printing means about the sales for Marvel sets. They are gonna put their resources where it will serve them best, if they aren't seeing a good return lack of printing may be the least of our issues. I think that's what the big Spider-Man push maybe about, bring the money maker front-and-center to help keep the line alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, InnerRayg said:

What you guys really should be worrying about is what the lack of printing means about the sales for Marvel sets. They are gonna put their resources where it will serve them best, if they aren't seeing a good return lack of printing may be the least of our issues. I think that's what the big Spider-Man push maybe about, bring the money maker front-and-center to help keep the line alive.

That’s probably a tad pessimistic :wink: If set sales were poor, we wouldn’t see that amount of sets getting released next year :sweet:

12 minutes ago, SpiderJazz said:

New Aquaman head print looks spot on with Thor. I wonder if they'll use it for A4 set/s.

It does fit well indeed :thumbup: Maybe it was initially designed for Thor and they then decided to use it for Aquaman as well? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that LMSH receives any less budget than other themes. It probably has a similar budget to City, Ninjago or Jurassic World. But while those themes could do without extra printing, dual moulding and constant new parts, Marvel characters (especially in the MCU) have very detailed designs, and need all the extra touches to look right. For example, with this years Iron Spider, the designers could not (for some reason) dual mould the legs, so they had to just print the blue part over red legs. With the other aforementioned themes, they would not have to make such compromises, because their figures have details that are broad enough to not require extra printing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, InnerRayg said:

What you guys really should be worrying about is what the lack of printing means about the sales for Marvel sets. They are gonna put their resources where it will serve them best, if they aren't seeing a good return lack of printing may be the least of our issues. I think that's what the big Spider-Man push maybe about, bring the money maker front-and-center to help keep the line alive.

Wild speculation doesn't really mean anything. 

You could just as easily argue that the Marvel sets sell so well they don't feel the need to put in the additional resources of leg and arm printing. It could be that sales are so good, they can pump out sets for the lowest possible cost and maximise the profits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I understand, Marvel (and DC) Superheroes sets are a couple of the best selling themes, obviously not as good as City or Star Wars, but still. I’m sure they probably use the same designers for the Superhero theme, maybe they are told to put more focus on one at a time to keep things “even”.

I don’t really understand why people think the Superheroes line is selling poorly, they’re clearly putting a lot of attention to it with Infinity War, Spiderman, and Batman sets all coming out in one year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mountain Drew said:

I don’t really understand why people think the Superheroes line is selling poorly, they’re clearly putting a lot of attention to it with Infinity War, Spiderman, and Batman sets all coming out in one year.

The argument is that the minifigure printing could be indicative of the budget that the theme is receiving, and thus how well they are selling. Of course, we cannot be sure yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never seen it listed in the annual report as a top seller, the amount of investment in prints and new molds seems to have gone down, and DC seems to be more marketed (the movies, the games, etc). I am inferring that Marvel doesn't do as well as DC and am generally a pessimist, so I find it hard to believe a good thing will last forever. Obviously this is just my speculation without any hard numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, InnerRayg said:

I've never seen it listed in the annual report as a top seller, the amount of investment in prints and new molds seems to have gone down, and DC seems to be more marketed (the movies, the games, etc). I am inferring that Marvel doesn't do as well as DC and am generally a pessimist, so I find it hard to believe a good thing will last forever. Obviously this is just my speculation without any hard numbers. 

I dunno. While it doesn't get listed in the annual report, that just means that some themes do better. LEGO currently has 20+ product lines running, and I've never seen Marvel sets clog up shelves. As for the marketing, the only reason DC has more video games is that LEGO picked up the licence 6 years earlier, and LEGO and WB legally cannot make LEGO Marvel movies. Also, I don't think DC is doing better than Marvel. DC isn't getting many new moulds/prints either, it's just that we don't seem to notice. They're in the same boat in terms of budget, and they likely have the same team.

Edited by GrandDukeofKumquats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, InnerRayg said:

I am inferring that Marvel doesn't do as well as DC and am generally a pessimist, so I find it hard to believe a good thing will last forever. Obviously this is just my speculation without any hard numbers. 

I'd find it hard to believe DC is doing better than Marvel when this year alone, DC released only 6 sets (and the RC Batmobile, but that sorta feels like it's own thing), and Marvel released 9. Not to mention next year, we only know about two DC sets, but 11 Marvel sets, and that's just the first half of the year. A higher quantity of sets means more money can be made opposed to a lesser quantity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how you think DC is doing better than Marvel.  DC's movies have been failing compared to Marvel movies.  I think it comes in waves as leg printing etc.  The Superheroes line is evergreen I really don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.  Every company has been pinching pennies lately.  I think the Avengers 4 figs will be better.  Only time will tell.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regards to the quality debates. My main concern lies in the following logic that could be behind the sets;

Sets are performing well -> Maximise profits by reducing quality of sets -> Sets perform better -> Lego can decrease quality further as it does not seem to be impacting sales
Sets are performing well -> Maximise profits by reducing quality of sets -> Sets continue to perform well so no requirement to improve/return to quality
Sets are performing well -> Maximise profits by reducing quality of sets -> Sets perform worse -> Lego does not want to improve/return to quality on a theme which is declining
Sets are performing badly -> Reduce risk by lowering quality of sets -> Sets continue to worsen due to reduced quality

The only hope for the theme is that the budget for the wave only amounts to a select number of sets per year and that due to the increased amount of tie-in sets being produced the quantity increase has resulted in a decrease of quality. Even that does not give the most helpful outlook.

I just feel that Lego are unlikely to invest the level of quality that the Marvel sets deserve. First the print/detail quality began to fade, followed by the amount of figures not feeling representative of the price of sets for Infinity War. Remember that our first instance of Black Panther had a printed 'ear' piece while the newer instance does not - aspects such as this seem telling of a decision being made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Scarilian said:

In regards to the quality debates. My main concern lies in the following logic that could be behind the sets;

Sets are performing well -> Maximise profits by reducing quality of sets -> Sets perform better -> Lego can decrease quality further as it does not seem to be impacting sales
Sets are performing well -> Maximise profits by reducing quality of sets -> Sets continue to perform well so no requirement to improve/return to quality
Sets are performing well -> Maximise profits by reducing quality of sets -> Sets perform worse -> Lego does not want to improve/return to quality on a theme which is declining
Sets are performing badly -> Reduce risk by lowering quality of sets -> Sets continue to worsen due to reduced quality

The only hope for the theme is that the budget for the wave only amounts to a select number of sets per year and that due to the increased amount of tie-in sets being produced the quantity increase has resulted in a decrease of quality. Even that does not give the most helpful outlook.

I just feel that Lego are unlikely to invest the level of quality that the Marvel sets deserve. First the print/detail quality began to fade, followed by the amount of figures not feeling representative of the price of sets for Infinity War. Remember that our first instance of Black Panther had a printed 'ear' piece while the newer instance does not - aspects such as this seem telling of a decision being made.

As infuriating as it is, there’s probably a lot of truth in this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.