Anonknee Muss

Marvel Superheroes 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

Didn't lego say no more exclusives at some point? I don't expect them to do it with the SDCC exclusive figures (not the ones in the sets like Vers, the ones that are just a minifigure by themself like Insomniac Spider-Man and Sheriff Deadpool), butI I'm hoping Maria's exclusive head shows up in a regular set or polybag or something too.

2 minutes ago, ood0 said:

Didn't lego say no more exclusives at some point? I don't expect them to do it with the SDCC exclusive figures (not the ones in the sets like Vers, the ones that are just a minifigure by themself like Insomniac Spider-Man and Sheriff Deadpool), butI I'm hoping Maria's exclusive head shows up in a regular set or polybag or something too.

They said no more regional exclusives, like the Chinese New Year sets this year. Not that they would stop things like the SDCC exclusives. 

29 minutes ago, ood0 said:

They explicitly said the SDCC exclusives would continue staying exclusive, if that only applies to the SDCC figures or both the figures and the sets is to be seen

1 hour ago, LegoFjotten said:

No they do not. The examples demonstrate choices made by the designers of the sets - should the allocated budget be spent on decorations or more bricks.

You hit the nail on the head there :thumbup:

4 hours ago, ood0 said:

If the SDCC set becomes availible in another way, like lego might have hinted at back when the weird new vip point system launched (I think), then we'll get Rambeu. It really depends on if/how Vers is released.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:13 AM, Scarilian said:

Disregarding the Endgame sets with the repeating Torso and Leg print, here is the quality we've come to expect with some of the characters;

• Thor introduced with just a torso print then gaining leg and arm print in the Ragnarok sets (2017) to Thor with just a torso print (2018, 2020)
    - The 2017 sets need to be viewed as an exception to the quality of the figure.
  • Black Panther introduced with a printed 'ear/helmet' piece in the Civil War sets (2016) to non-printed 'ear/helmet' piece in (2017 and 2020).
  • - The 2016 set needs to be viewed as an exception to the quality of the figure.
  • Hawkeye introduced and retaining leg printing in every prior version (2012, 2015, 2016) to no leg printing (2020).
    - The 2020 sets need to be viewed as an exception to the quality of the figure.

Each of these examples demonstrates different states of quality change.

With characters like Captain America, the only time he has gained leg printing is in the SDCC 2016 figure exclusive so it has not set a precedence for that level of quality. As such while fans may want additional printing, they are not massively disappointed when he does not get it because it has been established as an expected quality level without mainstream deviation.

I just wanted to say how much I like this. Very nicely done. 

While I don't necessarily agree with everything @Scarilian said about detail on marvel figures I do want to share my opinion on the subject. First of all I'd like to say I disagree with the argument of quality going down and for only one reason: the quality has always been low (which is even worse than a downgrade in quality).

Just take a look at the new teaser video LEGO released for the Trolls theme. They all have the same amount of detail as marvel's figures but on top of that some figs have dualmolded legs and every single figure has a brand new mold (or multiple) that can't be reused on a single other character. Those figures (and those from other themes) make the lack of detail on marvel figures especially inexcusable. Figure quality in marvel sets has always been low and will probably remain that way but lego really needs to make them more detailed. Especially considering how ridiculously expensive some sets can be the lack of detail is outrageous, just legprinting alone can make a massive difference

On 10/24/2019 at 1:13 PM, Scarilian said:

Forgot about Thanos.

Disregarding the Endgame sets with the repeating Torso and Leg print, here is the quality we've come to expect with some of the characters;

• Thor introduced with just a torso print then gaining leg and arm print in the Ragnarok sets (2017) to Thor with just a torso print (2018, 2020)
    - The 2017 sets need to be viewed as an exception to the quality of the figure.
  • Black Panther introduced with a printed 'ear/helmet' piece in the Civil War sets (2016) to non-printed 'ear/helmet' piece in (2017 and 2020).
  • - The 2016 set needs to be viewed as an exception to the quality of the figure.
  • Hawkeye introduced and retaining leg printing in every prior version (2012, 2015, 2016) to no leg printing (2020).
    - The 2020 sets need to be viewed as an exception to the quality of the figure.

Each of these examples demonstrates different states of quality change.

With characters like Captain America, the only time he has gained leg printing is in the SDCC 2016 figure exclusive so it has not set a precedence for that level of quality. As such while fans may want additional printing, they are not massively disappointed when he does not get it because it has been established as an expected quality level without mainstream deviation.

The difference between the older, more detailed figures, and these new ones, are that the previous versions were based on movies, while these are based on comics/the upcoming game. I'm not trying to argue a point, your opinion about how you feel on the arm/leg printing debate is your own, but a lot of the time it really just seems that the material a figure is based on just doesn't need a load of detailing to keep up with a track record of leg printing.

*The legs on Captain America have never stood out as something that needed printing, whereas Doctor Strange has a much more interesting outfit which would benefit from leg printing. So really it's just easier and cheaper to use plain legs than create new printed legs for Captain America which are just a couple of lines.

*Black Panther in CW had a lot of silver detailing atop his head, hence the printing on his ear piece, but his BP costume didn't have the same type of detailing, hence why it would've been left plain. 

*Hawkeyes previous figures have always been based on the movies, which have quite a lot of detailing around his legs, but this new one is comic/cartoon based, which doesn't have the same type of leg detailing, thus not exactly needing any leg printing

IMO we all expect so much from the theme, but it's all more than we need. Characters with extreme levels of detailing will more than likely get it, but not everyone NEEDS that level of detailing. It's not because LEGO is lazy, or don't care about keeping up with keeping the same level of quality, it's just because not every figure needs the same amount of detailing

18 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Just take a look at the new teaser video LEGO released for the Trolls theme. They all have the same amount of detail as marvel's figures but on top of that some figs have dualmolded legs and every single figure has a brand new mold (or multiple) that can't be reused on a single other character. Those figures (and those from other themes) make the lack of detail on marvel figures especially inexcusable. 

Many themes have introduced pieces that are designed to be exclusive to only one character, the number of these parts have grown over recent years with themes like Overwatch, Minecraft, Powerpuff Girls, but Marvel have plenty of pieces that couldn't be used outside the theme, just for a couple examples, Iron Man's helmet, Loki's helmet, Magneto's helmet, Star Lord's mask, all 3 iterations of Groot, MODOKs head, etc.

Looks like someone already has their hands on the Hulk Helicopter Rescue set. Hopefully the instructions contain some advertisements so we can FINALLY see the 2020 Marvel sets...

As for the Captain Marvel torso thing, I remember seeing someone on IG made a replica of the SDCC set but didn’t have the new torso, Maria’s head, or the Nexo Knights shield in trans blue and used Lego’s replacement part service to obtain them (sort of immorally imo).

This seems like good evidence that the pieces may still be in production and we’ll get a wider release soon enough.

Edited by Legocity2713

1 hour ago, HarryVader said:

Looks like someone already has their hands on the Hulk Helicopter Rescue set. Hopefully the instructions contain some advertisements so we can FINALLY see the 2020 Marvel sets...

The hulk set comes out in november, unlike all the others, so it's unlikely ads for the 2020 sets would be in it.

1 hour ago, Legocity2713 said:

As for the Captain Marvel torso thing, I remember seeing someone on IG made a replica of the SDCC set but didn’t have the new torso, Maria’s head, or the Nexo Knights shield in trans blue and used Lego’s replacement part service to obtain them (sort of immorally imo).

This seems like good evidence that the pieces may still be in production and we’ll get a wider release soon enough.

That is good evidence.

Do you know how they got them through replacement part services? Lego rarely carries liscened parts/prints on the site, so the only way I can think of to get something like ver's torso would be to call lego customer service and lie about having the set but with her torso messed up. I had a tie fighter pilot helmet whose printing was on the side of the helmet, and I know from that call that at least for normal sets as long as you know the set number you're all good, but I feel like it would be different for SDCC sets.

Not possible by a long shot, but since the 2020 sets is based on the RPG game by Square Enix, could we get sets based on Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc?

Wait, you can get SDCC exclusive parts directly from LEGO?! I thought they didn't do that with those exclusives...

Just now, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

Not possible by a long shot, but since the 2020 sets is based on the RPG game by Square Enix, could we get sets based on Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc?

Final Fantasy definetely not, but I believe Kingdom Hearts is Disney-based so I guess it could happen? Most likely not though

16 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

That is good evidence.

Do you know how they got them through replacement part services? Lego rarely carries liscened parts/prints on the site, so the only way I can think of to get something like ver's torso would be to call lego customer service and lie about having the set but with her torso messed up. I had a tie fighter pilot helmet whose printing was on the side of the helmet, and I know from that call that at least for normal sets as long as you know the set number you're all good, but I feel like it would be different for SDCC sets.

In the comments someone asked him and he replied “the parts showed up on bricks and pieces with the yellow tag so I tried to purchase and Lego took it as missing parts and shipped them for free.” He mentions trying to buy them, so it could have been an accident but I feel like everyone knows missing pieces isn’t bricks and pieces. Little fishy.

I too would figure that they would probe the issue more before shipping exclusive parts out. Just goes to show we really are talking about tiny plastic pieces that people value so much they’d spend costs Lego literal cents to make.

16 hours ago, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

Wait, you can get SDCC exclusive parts directly from LEGO?! I thought they didn't do that with those exclusives...

Idk about actual SDCC single packaged figures. (Do those even have #s?) But in this case, since its a set I guess, it seems like the person on IG did it without issue.

Edited by Legocity2713

In the comments someone asked him and he replied “the parts showed up on bricks and pieces with the yellow tag so I tried to purchase and Lego took it as missing parts and shipped them for free.” He mentions trying to buy them, so it could have been an accident but I feel like everyone knows missing pieces isn’t bricks and pieces. Little fishy.

I too would figure that they would probe the issue more before shipping exclusive parts out. Just goes to show we really are talking about tiny plastic pieces that people value so much they’d spend costs Lego literal cents to make.

Idk about actual SDCC single packaged figures. (Do those even have #s?) But in this case, since its a set I guess, it seems like the person on IG did it without issue.

Yeah, I'm thinking he may have claimed to have broken or misprinted parts....

4 hours ago, Legocity2713 said:

That's not how BnP works,... a little fishy indeed.

I don't believe any of this. You can't even get licensed parts for normal sets replaced that easily, they always ask for an exclusive number you've got on your instruction booklet to verify you've actually got the set. I can't imagine the SDCC prints being any different. 

I’ve been seeing photos of people with piles and piles of the exclusive torso, apparently direct from LEGO service. Certainly very immoral, and I hope Lego cracks down on this, or simply releases it in a different set.

I don't believe this guy scammed them from Lego, unless he used multiple addresses. Lego asks for proof of purchase for replacement pieces for licensed sets and has even flagged people making legitimate claims from the system (I believe there are some posts here with stories like that). I don't Lego would be easily fooled into providing multiples of a licensed torso in a limited set for a clearly fraudulent damaged piece claim.

If these people did indeed use the replacement pieces service from Lego, I'd expect them to have purchased them directly. Maybe there was a hiccup with the system and the piece showed up in stock. I'd only expect this to be possible if Lego was producing more of Vers. Otherwise, they wouldn't have had an incentive to make more than 1500 torsos, or whatever the limited quantity was.

TLDR: Given the high quantity of torsos I doubt these people scammed them from Lego, and if they did not get them in the set this is a good sign if we want to see the torsos pop up again.

I highly doubt LEGO was scammed, but am 50% sure this could have been a mistake on there part. One of two things could be happening here, lego has started on a late summer/early fall wave of sets for marvel. And they want to use this captain marvel for some sort. I’m not to sure of this though because 1,500 dose not seem like a lot, maybe it’s just a start. This might be the also because LEGO finished the winter 19/20 sets. And are trying to get a head start on the next wave, they have draw and design each figure. So by now sense we have seen leaks, clearly LEGO is done with they’re supply of 19/20 figures. They might be touching up small stuff and a lot of the times LEGO is 100% done with the sets months before it hits shelves. Or option 2 LEGO made a mistake, by printing all the torsos out. I highly doubt it was an accident 

And also just because it’s is a SDCC exclusive dose not mean LEGO won’t make the same character, or a similar type. We have seen it happen numerous times in the dc line. Or maybe the printing on the vers is just a prototype to see who would by the figure. At the high prices it’s at now people are clawing to get their hands on one. Wouldn’t be surprised if LEGO brought here back out, in my mind it’s a money maker for LEGO and the fans will be very pleased.

14 hours ago, JosiahJVL said:

I highly doubt LEGO was scammed, but am 50% sure this could have been a mistake on there part. One of two things could be happening here, lego has started on a late summer/early fall wave of sets for marvel. And they want to use this captain marvel for some sort. I’m not to sure of this though because 1,500 dose not seem like a lot, maybe it’s just a start. This might be the also because LEGO finished the winter 19/20 sets. And are trying to get a head start on the next wave, they have draw and design each figure. So by now sense we have seen leaks, clearly LEGO is done with they’re supply of 19/20 figures. They might be touching up small stuff and a lot of the times LEGO is 100% done with the sets months before it hits shelves. Or option 2 LEGO made a mistake, by printing all the torsos out. I highly doubt it was an accident 

And also just because it’s is a SDCC exclusive dose not mean LEGO won’t make the same character, or a similar type. We have seen it happen numerous times in the dc line. Or maybe the printing on the vers is just a prototype to see who would by the figure. At the high prices it’s at now people are clawing to get their hands on one. Wouldn’t be surprised if LEGO brought here back out, in my mind it’s a money maker for LEGO and the fans will be very pleased.

Unfortunately, this is wrong both in terms of lego's production schedule, as they wouldn't start producing parts for late 2020 sets in fall 2019, AND in how lego does comic con exclusives, as they have never to my recollection released an SDCC exclusive figure in a normal retail set. The only thing that comes close to it is a rocket raccon in one of them was also in a polybag released at roughly the same time. 

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

they have never to my recollection  released an SDCC exclusive figure in a normal  retail set

One of the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings exclusives later released in a set.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Unfortunately, this is wrong both in terms of lego's production schedule, as they wouldn't start producing parts for late 2020 sets in fall 2019, AND in how lego does comic con exclusives, as they have never to my recollection released an SDCC exclusive figure in a normal retail set. The only thing that comes close to it is a rocket raccon in one of them was also in a polybag released at roughly the same time. 

Super man and Batman started as a SDCC exclusive. And was later put into sets back in 2012

17 minutes ago, JosiahJVL said:

Super man and Batman started as a SDCC exclusive. And was later put into sets back in 2012

Nope, that specific Batman variant remained exclusive and was never seen again. Also, if I recall correctly the packaging for Bard and for Azog were different from those for other SDCC figures and lacked the word "exclusive" or something like that.

Superman does seem to break this pattern, but that was back in 2011.

2 hours ago, nikhkin said:

One of the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings exclusives later released in a set.

see @BrickHat's comment

1 hour ago, JosiahJVL said:

That was not the same batman.

Superman is the only exception, 8 years ago, and was more of a "look! we're making lego DC" thing, which also partly explains why there were 3 SDCC exclusive DC figures instead of the 1 they do now.

I'm not saying that this captain marvel won't show up, but rather that there is no real precedent for it.

Edited by Mandalorianknight