Anonknee Muss

Marvel Superheroes 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

For anyone bashing the classic look of the A.I.M. Scientists, why are you here? There are a million generic goons across any number of themes that LEGO produces. If you hate the source material, go find something else. 

I get that this is the (poor) look chosen by game designers but LEGO could have opted for something recognizable. Game relevance or not, this design is terrible. Yeah, the comic designs are goofy... so is every. single. superhero outfit. Why lose the flare here. This wave is the epitome of disappointing design.

I would take goofy classic A.I.M. costumes over this generic Ultra-Agents design any day of the week. And since LEGO is mass producing them for multiple sets (ala the QR suits), can we get some damn leg printing. Jesus.

Does LEGO have a policy against new molds for the Marvel theme now? 

Edited by PARED

8 minutes ago, PARED said:

For anyone bashing the classic look of the A.I.M. Scientists, why are you here? There are a million generic goons across any number of themes that LEGO produces. I get that this is the (poor) look chosen by game designers but LEGO could have opted for something recognizable. Glad we got comics Hydra and not the black military-gear version from the movies in past sets... LEGO should have done the same here. Game relevance or not, this design is terrible. Yeah, the comic designs are goofy... so is every. single. superhero outfit. Why lose the flare here. This wave is the epitome of disappointing design.

I would take goofy classic A.I.M. costumes over this generic Ultra-Agents design any day of the week. And since LEGO is mass producing them for multiple sets (ala the QR suits), can we get some damn leg printing. Jesus.

I don’t know that bashing people for what they like is a particularly helpful argument. Disliking the look of a character is an acceptable line of reasoning. So the first A.I.M. figures we get are based on a game that is proving to be hot property, and not the typical comics version. Surely you should be the slightest bit pleased that someone at Lego is aware of A.I.M. in the first place? Maybe they are striking while the iron is hot, and maybe one day down the road they will come up with a more comic accurate look. As it stands the game is the last bastion for the original Avengers; after that the next phase of the MCU focuses on a whole new range of characters, and a few of them will prove tricky to coax new fans towards. Lego know full well that the MCU sets have done better than the comic sets, and this game kind of relates to it. Without it there probably would be more Hydra henchmen instead. 
As for the moulds and printing, the Disney Marvel deal might be long-standing but tough on Lego. At the end of the day they don’t have to make Marvel sets, so griping this much about what we get is biting the hand that feeds.

39 minutes ago, PARED said:

For anyone bashing the classic look of the A.I.M. Scientists, why are you here? There are a million generic goons across any number of themes that LEGO produces. If you hate the source material, go find something else. 

I get that this is the (poor) look chosen by game designers but LEGO could have opted for something recognizable. Game relevance or not, this design is terrible. Yeah, the comic designs are goofy... so is every. single. superhero outfit. Why lose the flare here. This wave is the epitome of disappointing design.

Did you see the word 'discussion' in the title of the thread? Do you know the meaning of the word 'opinion'? 

Just because someone, myself included, likes the game design more than the comic design doesn't mean that person 1) hates the sourcematerial and 2) has to go find something else to enjoy and discuss. We're all fans here and we all have different opinions, if that's something you can't handle maybe you are the one who should go find something else.

I'm pretty sure Anya may be based upon the upcoming season of Marvel's Spider Man: Maximum Venom. I know her current costume in the show is comic accurate, but I think the artwork of her whiter costume is for next season. It also matches with her Venomized variant in the shows banner

Maximum-Venom-_-Marvels-Spider-Man-_-TEA

Actually the Anya design is based on the Promo Art for this era of Spidey Merchandise, the first time it appeared was on the "Promo Art" everyone thought was for Marvel's Spider-Man, but the designs for the villains were not those. 

Also, I have always thought that Marvel gets way less budget, and prints and new parts because its so popular they know kids (and collectors)  will buy them, against Dc and Star Wars which aren't as big on people's mind as Marvel at this point of time (I'm talking about general people here, not exactly collectors) 

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Did you see the word 'discussion' in the title of the thread? Do you know the meaning of the word 'opinion'? 

Just because someone, myself included, likes the game design more than the comic design doesn't mean that person 1) hates the sourcematerial and 2) has to go find something else to enjoy and discuss. We're all fans here and we all have different opinions, if that's something you can't handle maybe you are the one who should go find something else.

Exactly.

44 minutes ago, Quicksilver838 said:

I'm pretty sure Anya may be based upon the upcoming season of Marvel's Spider Man: Maximum Venom. I know her current costume in the show is comic accurate, but I think the artwork of her whiter costume is for next season. It also matches with her Venomized variant in the shows banner

i love that it's called maximum venom, assumably because maximum carnage would be too violent, but it just sounds so stupid. I think you're right, and it is based on the upcoming season.

1 hour ago, PARED said:

People are allowed to have different opinions man!

I really like the new leaked figures. Captain america looks amazing, thor, black panther, and anya are pretty good, and I REALLY like the new aim agent design. I was skeptical at first, but these guys look tough. More like shock troops than mad scientists, which does show the game is deviating from the source material, but I think that can be a good thing. If this game is going to be serious, the villians can't all be running around in those goofy hazmat-looking suits. I do hope the OG costumes show up as technicians or something though.

However, I think the leakers might be missing something, just due to the errors on some of the figures. BP's ear part is backwards, and the aim agent's breather is upside-down. I think it's likely thor will have a cape, and the aim agent might have something with that backpack element.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

1 hour ago, PARED said:

I find it funny that you can't deal with the idea that some people don't like the comic design of AIM scientists, yet you've been ranting about how much you hate the game design since the minifigure was leaked. The implication that you can't enjoy Marvel at all if you don't like the comic AIM scientist design is a nice touch.

Personally I don't care for the new AIM minifig, I prefer the comic design, but I can at least respect the fact that the design was based on and is accurate to specific source material. It's not for me, so I move on. If you haven't noticed, this wave is heavily based on the video game and Lego's not going to throw in some comic AIM scientists just because one of the designers decided they don't like the game design. Lego can only use what Marvel gives them to work with. If you want to be mad at Lego, it's the molds, printing, and dual molding that they work with, not the initial design of the character.

After seeing that the figures are based on the game designs, I've become really excited for this wave. I may be in the minority, but I absolutely LOVE the fact that we're getting weird unique stylized designs in these sets based on the game.

The Iron Man is perfect, so much beautiful printing and that helmet is to die for (I'm going to have to add that to a bunch of other suits)

That Thor has a really detailed and more Norse-like design which I love! (Shame about the head being reused and no printed/ dual moulded hammer)

I may be in the minority, but I really like the weird armored design from the game Cap, it's different and unique and I like that. (The flesh head does look weird without the helmet going fully down on the sides, maybe I'll switch it for a Civil War one).

The Hawkeye is just great for comic accuracy so that's got me really excited.

The AIM soldiers are a bit disappointing, seeing as we haven't gotten the classic look yet, but I do actually quite like the figure itself. I think they'll look a lot better with that breathing gear the right way up too. (Also, is that a new Backpack?)

The Thanos is alright. The design is clunky and a bit poor but the head is really great to see, and I'm sure the mech will complete that for me.

I actually really dislike that Black Panther design. It feels poor and really low effort. I'm really disappointed to see that take up a space in these sets...

20 hours ago, Quicksilver838 said:

Black Panther's up. He's got an interesting looking torso, but I need another image to tell how I feel about it. I'm also not sure what exactly it's based on, it doesn't look like anything I recognize

Looks to me like a passable-enough comic variant, so I'm quite content with it to be honest. :shrug_oh_well:

11 hours ago, Simple1DEA said:

I was really not yet ready to say goodbye to lego mcu avengers

It's not gone yet, a Black Widow set is rumoured, and we know nothing about the future of MCU sets right now

After seing all this game figs, it is clear to me they are true heirs of the MCU figs we got in the past: no leg printing for Thor and Cap, and Iron Man receives the most attention to detail. It is shame, because a expected more.But I think the figs which could be way better with leg printing are the AIM soldiers. Their torso is nice, but after Ultron minions no minions had leg printing anymore.

Also, I can't help but see the AIM soldiers as traditional yellow minifigs with bare arms :laugh:...

The AIM guys remind me of SpongeBob in a space batman suit without the cowl

also, where do classic black panther and Hawkeye fit into this? Are there comic avengers sets as well?

Edited by DeCommander96

1 hour ago, DeCommander96 said:

The AIM guys remind me of SpongeBob in a space batman suit without the cowl

also, where do classic black panther and Hawkeye fit into this? Are there comic avengers sets as well?

These are all comic sets but the characters look like their Avengers game counterparts were possible

Berter quality AIM Solider pictures leaked (the mask is not upside down here), and they actually don't look any better. Still looking really bad.

16 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Berter quality AIM Solider pictures leaked (the mask is not upside down here), and they actually don't look any better. Still looking really bad.

Only thing I dislike is how the arms make him look like a yellow minifigure without sleeves. Other than that its a great figure!

To be completely honest, the only thing I find weird about the AIM soldier is the fact that his head is yellow, it really doesn't make it feel a Marvel fig at all.
And I can't find any pictures of any AIM soldier that shows yellow arms and head with yellow visor... Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but still :sceptic:
Guess at least the arms are easy enough to MOC, though.

Regards,
Mitch

The Iron Man looks pretty good, perfect addition for my Hall of Armour, plus the mech might be good for a more bigfig-scale Hulkbuster.

Thor is a good start, the blank legs are dissapointing though, but I probably have some knight/warrior legs to fix that.

Black Panther is fine, the only real addition I could think of is toe printing for claws and some texture on the legs, and even then I think that's a nitpick.

Still unsure on Caps design overall, so the courts are out on that one.

Anya Corazon is a nice suprise, the white torso threw me off at first though.

Yeah, the AIM designs are just dull, that's on the game though, not Lego.

Hawkeye is pretty good, once again only leg straps could make it better, maybe the arms from Ethan Hunt to give him his T Shirt look he currently has.

On 10/18/2019 at 11:45 PM, Aegis2000 said:

If anyone has been waiting to pick up the UCS Hulkbuster (76105), Walmart has it for $80.

That's an amazing deal, I wish I'd held off on the new falcon otherwise I would've bought this now.

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Only thing I dislike is how the arms make him look like a yellow minifigure without sleeves. Other than that its a great figure!

It does look kind of weird. I'm sure it'll look a bit better when he's alongside lots of flesh-tone characters though.

2 hours ago, AManofNoConsequence said:

The Iron Man looks pretty good, perfect addition for my Hall of Armour, plus the mech might be good for a more bigfig-scale Hulkbuster.

That's what I was thinking with the mech set. It has to be smaller than the prevoius hulkbusters, so the question is if we get a closer-scale hulkbuster, red igor, or some weird nexo-knights iron man mech.

Okay, so good news is, the AIM soldiers look like they’re using gunmetal-coloured legs, which are rare and I always like getting them. Bad news is, they still look terrible. Good news is, I can use a spare yellow ghost trail part and a hat to turn one into Timothy, the exterminator ghost from Hidden Side (one of my favourite designs) so I’m treating it as a net win. My condolences for people who were hoping for proper AIM stuff, though. 

6 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Yeah, they look hilarious with those yellow arms

20 hours ago, HarryVader said:

Yeah, they look hilarious with those yellow arms

They do look kind of funny.

The way I'm choosing to see this is that these troopers are the militarized, actual soldiers for A.I.M., as it seems like they become more of a totalitarian establishment with a focus on technology and less of a mad science group in the game. As I've said before, maybe the OG designs show up as scientists, and maybe if we do get a wave 2, we could see the comic design someday.

The figures look minimal effort :look:

Even the ones that actually have more than just a torso and head print have problems with quality control or design;
- Spider-man Noir has alignment issues with its printing
- Iron Man Game has one of the biggest Lego helmets with the widest printing possible despite the smallest thinnest helmet in-game

It keeps feeling like the Marvel figures are getting reduced in quality in order to save budget for something - but then never feels like the budget is used for anything in the Marvel line-up. At this stage it feels like we wont get passable figures/sets unless they are based around Spider-man or Iron Man. The decreasing sales due to the reducing quality are bound to further cause this problem also.