Anonknee Muss

Marvel Superheroes 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Honestly, all I really wish from Lego is some condensed consolidation of their playthemes for a much neater portfolio, with less dangling loose dead ends, not to mention that much needed balance between in-house and licensed themes. That's primarily why I'm so ticked off over this year's disassembly of the Juniors, Marvel, and DC SuperHeroes lines, as their branding makes the sets feel less like Lego's and more akin to miserly tie-in merchandise. :sad:

Personally, I don't miss the Juniors branding. It's very much for kids, and I could barely bring myself to buy any sets because of the huge Juniors logo. 4+ brings the sets into the themes they are based on, and since Juniors sets seem to rot on the shelves, changing was probably the best option for LEGO. Superheroes, however, I'm not sure about. I definitely understand your point, and in a perfect world, the Superheroes brand would remain on the boxes, but the sets themselves are no different than they would be before, and aside from the boxart, they're still considered part of the Marvel/DC Superhero themes.

4 hours ago, TOTDForever said:

The build is pretty good and the lack of minifig detail doesn't bother me too much

I pretty much agree, but the cutoffs still bug me. The Spider-Man wave didn't bother me at all on that, because the designs those figures were based on were rather simple anyhow, and only small details were left off. With this set, we were left without a sash for Captain Marvel. Talos's forehead is still off, but I can at least see the designers being thrown off with the concept art that gave Skrulls helmets.

38 minutes ago, GrandDukeofKumquats said:

without a sash for Captain Marvel

Why do people keep mentioning a sash? This version of the character doesn't have one, so why does it keep being brought up?

50 minutes ago, ood0 said:

Why do people keep mentioning a sash? This version of the character doesn't have one, so why does it keep being brought up?

Whoops. Never noticed that.

I like the figure a tiny bit more now.

Y'know, I keep wondering...
Why does the cat appear in a set? Does it have a big role in the movies as well? 
And if so, why? Does it have superpowers as well? :grin:

Regards,
Mitch

2 hours ago, CF Mitch said:

Y'know, I keep wondering...
Why does the cat appear in a set? Does it have a big role in the movies as well? 
And if so, why? Does it have superpowers as well? :grin:

Regards,
Mitch

Chewie was Carol Danvers's pet, whom she believed to be a normal domesticated cat.[1]

When Carol, now Captain Marvel, left Earth to explore the universe, she took Chewie with her. When she encountered the Guardians of the Galaxy, member Rocket Racoonidentified Chewie was a "Flerken," a dangerous alien species similar to Earth's cats. Rocket tried to kill Chewie "before it could lay eggs," but Carol interrupted his hunt.[2]

Weeks later, Chewie was revealed to be in fact a Flerken, having laid over a hundred eggs at the time Captain Marvel's ship was stormed by a goo-like hive.[3] Captain Marvel, Carol's friend Tic, Rocket, and Chewie managed to fight off the aliens, while Chewie's eggs hatched. Carol took Chewie and her 117 offsprings to a rescue center in the Tyvorn Cluster, where she planned to leave her and the kittens to be taken care of, however, Chewie later teleported back to Carol's ship to accompany her.[4]

I dunno about the movie, but this is the comic version :thumbup:

17 minutes ago, SpiderJazz said:

When Carol, now Captain Marvel, left Earth to explore the universe, she took Chewie with her. When she encountered the Guardians of the Galaxy, member Rocket Racoonidentified Chewie was a "Flerken," a dangerous alien species similar to Earth's cats. Rocket tried to kill Chewie "before it could lay eggs," but Carol interrupted his hunt.[2]

Calling it now, that's happening in Avengers 4.:thumbup:

3 hours ago, SpiderJazz said:

Chewie was Carol Danvers's pet, whom she believed to be a normal domesticated cat.[1]

When Carol, now Captain Marvel, left Earth to explore the universe, she took Chewie with her. When she encountered the Guardians of the Galaxy, member Rocket Racoonidentified Chewie was a "Flerken," a dangerous alien species similar to Earth's cats. Rocket tried to kill Chewie "before it could lay eggs," but Carol interrupted his hunt.[2]

Weeks later, Chewie was revealed to be in fact a Flerken, having laid over a hundred eggs at the time Captain Marvel's ship was stormed by a goo-like hive.[3] Captain Marvel, Carol's friend Tic, Rocket, and Chewie managed to fight off the aliens, while Chewie's eggs hatched. Carol took Chewie and her 117 offsprings to a rescue center in the Tyvorn Cluster, where she planned to leave her and the kittens to be taken care of, however, Chewie later teleported back to Carol's ship to accompany her.[4]

Good Lord! :laugh:
Thanks for the update :thumbup: 
Would be fun to see any of that referenced in the movie :tongue:

Regards,
Mitch

3 hours ago, SpiderJazz said:

Well unless the mcu version really is a flerken and has a longer lifespan, theyll have died from age by the time Avengers 4 happens. 

And I replied to the wrong person. 

Edited by Ultron

12 hours ago, ood0 said:

This exactly!

So much negativity over a figure that has short shoulder length hair, just like in the movie design with pretty close coloring and she doesn't have the sash as you mentioned. I think it'll be a perfect figure if you just use the dual molded mcu spider-man legs on her

Edited by legosamsonite

22 minutes ago, legosamsonite said:

This exactly!

So much negativity over a figure that has short shoulder length hair, just like in the movie design with pretty close coloring and she doesn't have the sash as you mentioned. I think it'll be a perfect figure if you just use the dual molded mcu spider-man legs on her

The boot design is a lot different between the two characters.

The complaints people have are that LEGO was making figures with more detail in 2002. They skimped hard on this set... which appears to be the new standard, unfortunately. We seem to be on a steady downward trend. First, extras like arm printing and dual-molding went away. Then, leg printing (which has been around FOREVER) got cut. Now they’re dumbing down the torso prints. It’s perfectly understandable to be frustrated how screwed over this theme keeps getting. 

Edited by PARED

11 minutes ago, PARED said:

The complaints people have are that LEGO was making figures with more detail in 2002. They skimped hard on this set... which appears to be the new standard, unfortunately. We seem to be on a steady downward trend. First, extras like arm printing and dual-molding went away. Then, leg printing (which has been around FOREVER) got cut. Now they’re dumbing down the torso prints. It’s perfectly understandable to be frustrated how screwed over this theme keeps getting. 

Personally, I think MCU Spider-Man's legs are pretty accurate to her. Colours are right, and both boots have the V shape. All that's missing are the kneepads and gold highlights.

31 minutes ago, PARED said:

Well, someone needs to take a stand. That's why, as much as I like this set, I'm boycotting it in protest. I invite you all to join me. We want good-quality minifigures!

4 minutes ago, ItamatTheGreat said:

Well... maybe they will surprise us in the avengers 4 sets... maybe...

I hope they at least invest in a few new molds or decent prints. Looking at Ninjago sets, they are still capable of doing great and detailed prints, as well as dozens of new molds.
The massive decrease on printing quality is a new low to me. i'd very much like an insight of why this is the case with Marvel.

And why there are such big exceptions: MCU Spider-Man has every bit of detail you could give the figure. Maybe because Spider-Man is a safe investement. Unlike Black Panther or Cap Marvel are. But then again, is it really that expensive to invest in a few new or even reused leg prints, while they also invested in some unnecessary new molds? Sure the mask and new hair pieces for BP were great additions, but to be honest - the sets would have profited more from a BP with helmet mold and leg printing - maybe even arm printing.

Sometimes I must assume, the decisions are just irrational, or the AFOL community just isn't an important enough target group of this theme, while for Ninjago new suits and new molds are among the main selling aspects (kids wanna have the new Lloyd, cause the design is amazing and his weapon/armor is new or now gold, or whatever).

Crazy as it sounds, I don't think it has anything at all to do with whether the set is for kids or AFOLS. They simply don't think it's necessary to sell the set, people are going to buy it regardless, as it is an established theme. Where as with other themes it is needed to sell the sets, make them stand out, or special. In the end who knows it could be any number of things although honestly I doubt laziness has anything at all to do with it and is a term I see getting thrown around quite a lot lately. Does anyone know if the designers for the Super Heroes themes have daybeds in their offices?

Edited by Johnny1360

After seeing the new Captain Marvel trailer tonight, I must say I’m extremely disappointed that the set doesn’t at least come with Jude Law’s character (I thought it was going to be Marvell but that doesn’t seem to be the case) because he’s bound to be a pivotal character. I also really really wish Carol had her helmet as a second option. I think the hair is fine but it should have the helmet as well. I also wouldn’t say no to another Skrull

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

3 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Crazy as it sounds, I don't think it has anything at all to do with whether the set is for kids or AFOLS. They simply don't think it's necessary to sell the set, people are going to buy it regardless, as it is an established theme.

I doubt laziness has anything at all to do with it and is a term I see getting thrown around quite a lot lately. 

It may not be necessary, but I doubt it would hurt to add details. It may even give us more reason to buy the set. If that is the case, it actually sounds like the most lazy thing. I personally hope it's budget problems, as that actually gives them an excuse.

2 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

After seeing the new Captain Marvel trailer tonight, I must say I’m extremely disappointed that the set doesn’t at least come with Jude Law’s character (I thought it was going to be Marvell but that doesn’t seem to be the case) because he’s bound to be a pivotal character. I also really really wish Carol had her helmet as a second option. I think the hair is fine but it should have the helmet as well. I also wouldn’t say no to another Skrull

I see why you're disappointed, but we know so little about Law's character, and he probably has nothing to do with the scene represented in the set. Also, he's probably the subject of a twist, and Marvel loves hiding spoilers. However, Skrulls are bound to appear elsewhere. And for the helmet, there is always A4. And whatever movie she's in after (calling it now,  Captain Marvel is the next Iron Man). 

7 minutes ago, GrandDukeofKumquats said:

I see why you're disappointed, but we know so little about Law's character, and he probably has nothing to do with the scene represented in the set. Also, he's probably the subject of a twist, and Marvel loves hiding spoilers. However, Skrulls are bound to appear elsewhere. And for the helmet, there is always A4. And whatever movie she's in after (calling it now,  Captain Marvel is the next Iron Man). 

Yes I do hope she has the helmet in an A4 set, it would make each one exclusive and I absolutely love exclusive minifigs. I know a lot of people don’t, but honestly it really adds so much to the figure when hat version of it is only available in one set.

I really wish they’d made a special face for Carol with her eyes lit up. I hope we get a version with her helmet and powers for the A4 sets. Why doesn’t she even come with power blasts or anything in this set? 

10 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Well, someone needs to take a stand. That's why, as much as I like this set, I'm boycotting it in protest. I invite you all to join me. We want good-quality minifigures!

Won't do anything. Don't bother.

2 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I really wish they’d made a special face for Carol with her eyes lit up. I hope we get a version with her helmet and powers for the A4 sets. Why doesn’t she even come with power blasts or anything in this set? 

Seriously, A4 is the culmination of the MCU. They have to have Star Wars levels of detail on their minifigs, right? What's stopping them from cutting the budget of some other theme?

33 minutes ago, ood0 said:

Seriously, A4 is the culmination of the MCU. They have to have Star Wars levels of detail on their minifigs, right? What's stopping them from cutting the budget of some other theme?

Maybe that's what they've been doing with their own theme. Perhaps they saved up extra budget from the last year's offerings, and are ready to go all-out. What's more, from what we've heard, the A4 wave has one less set than Infinity War, and A4 (in advertising at least) has half the cast of IW. They could be just saving up for a big spending.

12 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Boycotts only work in certain scenarios, this is not one of them, probably.

Less people people buy the set, lowered demand, less profitable for tlg, lowered budget, reduced demand, lower sales, lego stops making mcu sets, marvel still wants construction toys, they sell the license to mega blocks.  :devil_laugh:

That said any afol boycott probably wouldn't affect the line much cause we're not the target audience and not all marvel-afols would join in anyway. Buy or don't buy what you want, voting with your wallet may work if they see sets with less minifig detail are the worst selling of the theme then they may decrease, wait I'm contradicting myself, arrgh :wacko: so in conclusion maybe it'll work but it probably won't.