LegoDW

Anyone want to talk about the Mars Mission Sets?

16 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

...and here it is officially! :wink:

I'm not a big fan of super hero movies...but damn. I might have to get that just for the MOC potential. I look at those parts and see new "Bluetron" themed spaceships. 

Also this might get me over my dislike of trans orange. 

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I think more of this guy from Series 7 in terms of color scheme

Well spotted. Hmm I think "Bluetron" is off to a good start.

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Trans-Orange in general, or Trans-Bright Orange in particular? :shrug_confused:

Honestly, orange in general. With an exception for tiger-stripe patterns.  :classic:

On 3/1/2019 at 12:35 PM, danth said:

I'm not a big fan of super hero movies...but damn. I might have to get that just for the MOC potential. I look at those parts and see new "Bluetron" themed spaceships. 

Here's @Brick Ministry's review of the set! :sweet:

I never got to have any of the sets but I remember the times when I was so fondly browsing the products section and "whoa"ing as would be expected of 10 years-old me.

There was also this game where you were jumping over the bricks trying not to hit any, all the while collecting as many crystals as you can. Totally loved that game. 10/10 would play again if anyone can find.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:52 AM, Robert8 said:

Nexo Avengers

If only it was Trans Neon Orange, I'd be tempted..

On 3/1/2019 at 12:35 PM, danth said:
On 2/28/2019 at 7:32 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

...and here it is officially! :wink:

Also this might get me over my dislike of trans orange. 

So, looks we're getting at least one more Endgame set this November that'll be continuing this color scheme, by giving us a Trans-Light Orange recolor of 11289:wink:

Brickset - 76144 Hulk Helicopter Drop

48133629282_2797270e90_c.jpg

On 6/26/2019 at 3:44 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

So, looks we're getting at least one more Endgame set this November that'll be continuing this color scheme, by giving us a Trans-Light Orange recolor of 11289:wink:

Brickset - 76144 Hulk Helicopter Drop

That copter is pretty gorgeous. We also get a trans purple book cover piece, it looks like. Nice!

On 6/26/2019 at 6:44 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

It's amazing how many recolors of this particular part we've gotten via superhero-related licensed sets. Tr. Fluor. Reddish-Orange (Trans-Neon Orange) via 76027, Tr. Bright Bluish Violet (Trans-Dark Purple) via 41232, and now Tr. Bright Orange in this one!

I think sets like this are also a nice counterexample to the notion that licensed themes lack or stifle creativity. After all, not only did designers have to make this up from whole cloth (presumably since they weren't supplied with great detail about what would actually happen or appear in the movie), but they're certainly not expecting kids to just recreate movie, cartoon, or comic book scenes with stuff that hasn't been in any movies, cartoons, or comic books. So it stands to reason that designers found kids they tested it with enjoyed the set on its own merits, not as a mere recreation of a subject they were already familiar with.

Edited by Aanchir

I agree. We didn't have any media tie-ins for Classic Space back in the 70's, 80's and 90's, and yet the overall theme was one of LEGO's most successful (which makes one wonder why they've all but abandoned it). I, too, think the superhero sets stand on their own merits- they look cool, in most cases offer a fun building experience, and possess a near future sci-fi feel that's appealing. Moreover, many of the sets have no movie or tv show equivalent- LEGO made them up. Consider most of the vehicles from the LEGO Batman Movie, and the Making of book shows further concepts that didn't make it to production. So, despite building on established franchises, there's still a lot of originality and imagination on the part of the designers being brought to bear, and for the most part, I think the sets, and we collectors and fans by extension, benefit.

On a personal note, I thought the Endgame Quinjet was a fantastic set, although I could have lived without the retractable shooter in the back, and would have liked landing gear. Alas, it's LEGO and these are things easily modded if so desired. The base set, though, is just eye-catching, and I love the slight offset of the aft canopy and how they integrated those angles so well into the final model. I appreciate techniques like that- subtle, but well integrated and functional. I'm looking forward to the Hulk Helicopter Drop- the chopper looks similar to an unproduced concept from the LEGO Batman Movie, and Pepper in her Rescue Armor is a nice addition to the pantheon of IM armors already produced.

Hmm... looking back, there were a lot of things I don't like about Mars Mission, as nostalgic as it is for me. The color schemes on both sides get pretty repetitive and boring after a while. The normal alien figures are terrible, some of the worst LEGO has made by far. However, the Alien Commanders I love! They remind me of the Independence Day aliens with those mouthplates, and I love their limbs, especially seeing how they're reversed for arms and legs. I could see someone getting them for some semi-realistic designs for Sci-Fi Martain vehicles. The sets I was looking forward to most were the MT-61 Crystal Reaper, MX-71 Recon Dropship, and the ETX Alien Mothership Assault. I know you can also hook up Power Functions to the Crystal Reaper to make it remote controlled, which is awesome! So yeah, there ya go.