Pelzer117

(9V) RED train motor

Hi everyone,

I know I am asking for a "non existing" part, but I want to create a collective thread for this topic. Maybe someone will find a way..

I am not sure any more because in realitiy this part should not exist, but I can swear that somewhere I saw a german loco (BR 51 or 53) with RED side covers for the 9V motor.

• Sadly the only thing I found was a "dark red" or "brown" version, what is in fact on a chinese (AUSINI) train. But it depends on the photos. At some pictures it looks like more red then brown: 25790643250_5fe0a81b71_b.jpg 25997167781_7bc6cd7728_b.jpgHTB1obO4RpXXXXcnXVXXq6xXFXXXS.jpg
  • Interesting is the video, where the motor is dyed (not painted), maybe this could be a way to "create" a red train motor. 9V Red Train Motor (dyed)
  • I also thought about to convert a 12V motor into a 9V or PF motor (because of the red cover of the 12V). Did someone tried this out?
Edited by Pelzer117

I reached out to someone who has the Ausini set, and they were able to take this picture comparing the reds. It looks like it's darker than lego red, but lighter than lego dark red. 
QvKkTpG.jpg

22 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I'm not sure if you're interested, but I recently purchased some vinyl dye to color some train parts red. That might give you the look you're going for. 

https://i.imgur.com/iBRGxv2.jpg

iBRGxv2.jpg

WOW *oh2* that looks amazing! How does the process work? Some risks?

20 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I reached out to someone who has the Ausini set, and they were able to take this picture comparing the reds. It looks like it's darker than lego red, but lighter than lego dark red. 
QvKkTpG.jpg

Thank you! :sweet::thumbup: On a black motor the difference of the colour will not be so much. So I will take a closer look

The colour difference on a red dyed motor would be interesting. If i compare both pictures the colour looks similar to me (red dyed and Ausini parts)

Edited by Pelzer117

7 minutes ago, Pelzer117 said:

WOW *oh2* that looks amazing! How does the process work? Some risks?

Thank you! :sweet::thumbup: On a black motor the difference of the colour will not be so much. So I will take a closer look

The colour difference on a red dyed motor would be interesting. If i compare both pictures the colour looks similar to me (red dyed and Ausini parts)

The dying is process is pretty simple. You just get the dye (comes in a spray can like spray paint), shake it like crazy, and do a really light coat. Then you wait 30 minutes, do another coat. Repeat until you've done like 5 coats. Then after 24 hours, the stuff is good to use. I likely did the coats too heavy when I did it. The vinyl dye has acetone in it, to actually color the plastic, as opposed to paint it. 

The dyed parts is closer to lego red than the ausini parts i think. I've run the wheels for a few hours, and the color hasn't come off. If you paint magnet buffers like I did, make sure to move the magnet around after every coat, or else it will stick. 

I used This specifically. 

I recommend you go for paint rather than dye, that looks quite rough in the fine details due to the thickness of the spray and I can see areas where it's not covered it properly. Not to mention that the red doesn't at all match LEGO red, I've been trying to find a good red to match Bright Red as perfectly as possible but haven't got around to testing yet.

7 minutes ago, ZANTHERA said:

I recommend you go for paint rather than dye, that looks quite rough in the fine details due to the thickness of the spray and I can see areas where it's not covered it properly. Not to mention that the red doesn't at all match LEGO red, I've been trying to find a good red to match Bright Red as perfectly as possible but haven't got around to testing yet.

I admit I did too heavy of coats, which caused issues. 

I did a little googling, and this thread claims to have a good paint match for red. 

http://board.ttvchannel.com/t/paints-for-lego-pieces/25490/25

On 5/3/2021 at 10:33 PM, Pelzer117 said:

Just updating, because there is now a "ready to buy" solution from China

15 items per package...:ugh:

Nobody at BlueBrixx smart enough to understand that only even numbers make sense?

16 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

Because of their low quality? :devil:

Sigh, not all their parts are low quality with some as good overall as genuine LEGO.

23 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

15 items per package...:ugh:

Nobody at BlueBrixx smart enough to understand that only even numbers make sense?

Well, their target audience is adults, so this is primarily for display sets. You can make 15 display bogies of this part pack! ;)

But more seriously: Their part packs seem to have a certain set of price tags and 15 bogies obviously are a good fit for their 5,95 EUR bin. And who would prefer to pay 0,43 cent per piece rather than 0,40 cent?

On 5/8/2021 at 12:11 PM, dtomsen said:

Sigh, not all their parts are low quality with some as good overall as genuine LEGO.

I confirm; and if 15 pieces are an odd number you can buy the item twice ...maybe they  want to force you into this! :wink: