Sign in to follow this  
ProvenceTristram

[MOC] United States Army Transportation Corps class S160 2-8-0 (Euro & North American Steam)

For those of you who would like to read the specifics, they can be found here. Suffice it to say, this was a class of lightly-built American 2-8-0s intended for overseas service during WW2. However, a fair number of them found their way back across the Atlantic to see service in the United States (featuring heavily in Alaska, but also elsewhere). My version is semi-North American-ized, envisioned as potentially a Canadian incarnation of the class, but a few small modification would render it French, British, Polish, or U.S. in a heartbeat. 

Proto:

iPO0ndj.jpg

J05oAFG.jpg

3nSvKer.jpg

uSABomu.jpg

jXyIAQa.jpg

66kE3UH.jpg

Model:

vZoeXYY.png

IlbjrMh.png

fJCgkti.png

Gj5ZKfP.png

I didn't bother doing running gear, because if built, it would use custom rods. I also didn't feel like putting the effort into squeezing a motor into the tender, but I am sure it could be done. 

Forgive me, but I am going to add a few more photos. I find that Bluerender does a very disappointing job (at least on my PC) with majority-black models. 

vuq8QMa.png

tGKRLuA.png

cPL3ptd.png

pjNLOoV.png

Also, here are some great videos of the real thing(s):

Good work! I appreciate the second round of pictures, as we can actually see your fantastic small details :wink:! You've done a good job capturing the prototype I think, and in my favourite 7w too. I might have to try and copy this at some point. Do you have any plans to build it in real bricks yourself?

I'm now wondering if such a locomotive would be a good one for LEGO to produce, as it has fairly wide appeal due to running in multiple countries...

The prototype doesn't make it easy with such high handrails, lol.
If it wasn't for the necessary boiler spoilage caused by the hand rails, I'd really like this, not sure there's much you can do about that though (Megablocks might have a useful piece, but it's guaranteed not to be in flat black).

15 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Good work! I appreciate the second round of pictures, as we can actually see your fantastic small details :wink:! You've done a good job capturing the prototype I think, and in my favourite 7w too. I might have to try and copy this at some point. Do you have any plans to build it in real bricks yourself?

I'm now wondering if such a locomotive would be a good one for LEGO to produce, as it has fairly wide appeal due to running in multiple countries...

Yes, I do hope to bricklink it at some point in the next couple of months. It's only a bit north of 800 pieces, which is really pretty tame for a standard gauge steam locomotive and tender. 

1 hour ago, Pelzer117 said:

Not bad. Do you still plan to build it? So this would maybe be a good inspiration too: https://www.brickmania.com/s160-locomotive-us-army-transportation-corps/

6002_S160_Cover-Webcard__36158.154533504

It was a long time ago - I do better work these days. 

Also, don't they want like 700 bucks for that thing, or something completely insane like that? It's a lovely model, and much better than the old thing in the OP. But...Brickmania is... kind of a joke.

*Edit* Oh, excuse me - they want $865, plus tax, plus S&H. My bad. What do you think the raw part total is for that via Bricklink? Maybe $175-200? So... you pay a roughly $700 premium price for the pleasure of the instruction manual? Granted, there are certainly people with far more money than brains out there, since BM sold out of this thing... but there are fine lines between asking for top dollar for fine work, actively gouging people, and then demanding so much money that I'm insulted by the mere suggestion that you believe your work to be worth that much. Brickmania's products decidedly fall into the latter category. I'd sooner throw the model at them than buy it.

Edited by ProvenceTristram

The S160 is one of my favorite steamers. I have rode behind the GSMR 1702 multiple times as a kid and young adult. Good times with the family. Good work on your rendition of this classic and iconic piece of rail history.

8 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

Also, don't they want like 700 bucks for that thing, or something completely insane like that? It's a lovely model, and much better than the old thing in the OP. But...Brickmania is... kind of a joke.

*Edit* Oh, excuse me - they want $865, plus tax, plus S&H. My bad. What do you think the raw part total is for that via Bricklink? Maybe $175-200? So... you pay a roughly $700 premium price for the pleasure of the instruction manual? Granted, there are certainly people with far more money than brains out there, since BM sold out of this thing... but there are fine lines between asking for top dollar for fine work, actively gouging people, and then demanding so much money that I'm insulted by the mere suggestion that you believe your work to be worth that much. Brickmania's products decidedly fall into the latter category. I'd sooner throw the model at them than buy it.

Wow!

12 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

Ah, that's the "ShrikeArghast" I remember...

15 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I don't think the aerodynamic properties of the S160 design would lend itself to flying very well. The crash though would be spectacular! :laugh:

Cale

On 8/18/2019 at 11:44 PM, ProvenceTristram said:

I fully agree. First thought was "nice model". Second thought as I saw the price, is not friendly to tell :jollyroger:
But what should I say.. I once paid as teenager 1.000$ for ONE Santa Fa passenger car one amazon... :wall: