MatthewRC

Finding someone who can print custom face decals on blank minifigure heads

Hey, guys. I’m trying to gather LEGO parts to be used for stop motion brickfilming, but I heard using blank LEGO minifigure heads is highly advised.

I was intending to do a LEGO Scooby-Doo brickfilm, but I need to know someone who can add custom face decals to blank minifigure heads for Velma Dinkley.

The custom face decals I need for Velma are dual sided. One with just glasses and freckles on the first side and the other with freckles only and without glasses.

First, I need to know where I can find face decals from LEGO Scooby-Doo minifigures online. That way I can find a Velma face pattern so I can manipulate the image with Gimp. Then, I can show whoever can help me the patterns I want on both sides of my blank minifigure heads.

Please let me know who can help me. Thanks!

I have experience with that, did a Uncle Tom's cabin diorama a few years ago. GIMP is not a very suitable tool for such a things since professional printers work better with vectors (at least if you e.g. need to print white). I also did TinTin stickers in the past.

But in your use case wouldn't a tool like after effects be better for your purpose?!

8 minutes ago, JopieK said:

I have experience with that, did a Uncle Tom's cabin diorama a few years ago. GIMP is not a very suitable tool for such a things since professional printers work better with vectors (at least if you e.g. need to print white). I also did TinTin stickers in the past.

But in your use case wouldn't a tool like after effects be better for your purpose?!

Actually, I've already found a Velma Dinkley face pattern and successfully manipulated it with GIMP. If you want, I can PM you the modified face decal for Velma.

Edited by MatthewRC
Punctuation correction

Yups, but it doesn't work like that, you will need vectors to get good result, I use vectors for everything (uh, I think there is one sticker of a classic hose where the TV screen is not a vector but apart from that), for details on stickers you will need vectors.

Just now, JopieK said:

Yups, but it doesn't work like that, you will need vectors to get good result, I use vectors for everything (uh, I think there is one sticker of a classic hose where the TV screen is not a vector but apart from that), for details on stickers you will need vectors.

And does After Effects cost money?

It does cost money, but you might be able to use an educational license and they are very cheap. But when using after effects you do it right in the movie of course.

Here is an example of the result using vectors (there a free vector tools including Inkscape) (quite reasonable):

43378860382_19c5c1a618_z.jpg

Just now, JopieK said:

It does cost money, but you might be able to use an educational license and they are very cheap. But when using after effects you do it right in the movie of course.

Here is an example of the result using vectors (there a free vector tools including Inkscape):

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/924/43378860382_19c5c1a618_z.jpg

Okay, but I don't want it as stickers because they might peel off. How can I get my patterns printed onto the heads by someone?

They won't peel off, not if you use decent vinyl like they use in cars and trucks (like I do). There are a number of Germans that do an excellent job, Steinedrücker comes into mind.

If you wanted to go down the route of applying waterslide decals they can be added and simply sprayed over with a light coat of clear acrylic to seal it. They should stay on no problem.

With regards to printing heads the issue you're going to have is quantities. It's going to be an expensive process to just print on head... even double sided. There was a seller on eBay that did a package whereby they printed 5 of something for around $15, whether that be a torso or a head. With anything like this you're going to be printing digitally onto the Lego piece... which is a different process to regular Lego print. That may not be an issue but you'll need to be aware that if you're going in close on the head the digital print is actually raised slightly so can catch highlights depending on how your diorama is lit.. this will be highlighted by how close your zoom is on the head in question.

For something to be pad printed it's going to be prohibitively expensive to get it done as a one off. You'd need to be getting 50 or so of them and selling the rest off to be close to worth it (most places will have a minimum run anyway)