Sign in to follow this  
Mitch Henry

[MOC] Hraunarr aka the most mocpages moc you'll ever see

29552389218_b05995a861_h.jpg

A wandering Toa, haunted by the deaths of his fallen comrades...

more photos

A MOC that I've had sitting around for about a year now. I didn't put it up since I have much much better MOCs sitting around. I figured if I didn't post it now then I'd never get around to it. Its veeeeeeeeery  MOCpages but that's the style I was doing when I built it so whatever lol.

Edited by Mitch Henry

Very nice build, I like how the shoulders look in particular.

But what do you mean with it being "MOCpages"?

5 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

Very nice build, I like how the shoulders look in particular.

But what do you mean with it being "MOCpages"?

By MOCpages, I'm referring to the kind of style of building that MOCpages, either intentionally or unintentionally, tends to produce.

It typically involves masked humanoid Toa MOCs with an inconsistent use of textures, poor color blocking and layering with two-tone colors schemes, a misunderstanding of proportions, blocky builds with heavy technic frames, "heartlights ftw", using story to justify bad designs, and a reliance on telling the character with words rather than showing it through the build.

it's mostly a byproduct of the community there since they don't like to give out criticism and they generally don't handle feedback well either. Since there's little constructive criticism going around, they end up with weak builds that often aren't aesthetically pleasing.

I defined this MOC as MOCpages since its a Toa moc with the two-tone color scheme, subpar texture and color work, with no personality in the build. I know that sounds like me whining about a MOC that I don't like but I don't really mind it. I just think its a bit lacking compared to my other builds.

I see.

Man, I haven't been to MOCpages in ages, so I didn't knew how the community evolved. I do remember some very good builds over there, but I get what you mean. I might be guilty of this as well with some of my older builds. :grin:

Speaking of communities, what do you think of ReBrick? I've been thinking about moving my MOCs over there, should I ever get active in the MOCing scene again, mostly because the last time I tried to upload something on MOCpages it was quite a hassle.

6 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

I see.

Man, I haven't been to MOCpages in ages, so I didn't knew how the community evolved. I do remember some very good builds over there, but I get what you mean. I might be guilty of this as well with some of my older builds. :grin:

Speaking of communities, what do you think of ReBrick? I've been thinking about moving my MOCs over there, should I ever get active in the MOCing scene again, mostly because the last time I tried to upload something on MOCpages it was quite a hassle.

Yeah, MOCpages is in a bad state right now so it'd be best to avoid it. There were good builds there but I'd bet most of the best people on MOCpages were originally from other websites/communities. 

I can't say I've ever used ReBrick. Quite frankly I've heard next to nothing about it. Flickr is typically where MOCists like to go. If you do get back into MOCing the best thing to do is get really involved with the MOCing community, and I think that's easiest if you join Bionicle discord servers. Then it doesn't really matter what website you post to.

I think you're being a bit too harsh on your MOC.

The color scheme is a bit generic but what makes it more interesting is the placement of the colors, which makes Hraunarr look like a red-skinned guy wearing black pants - this kind of half-naked appearance suits the burly vibe you get from him. What's more, I like the use of the 2008 Hau - while not my favorite Kanohi by itself, its knightly design fits the Knights Kingdom armor. The Hydraxon-like articulated hands I'm not a fan of, I feel like they're way overused in the Bionicle MOC-ing community. As far as the supposed clashing textures go, I don't think the MOC is nearly as bad in that regard - I think Stronius's rocky armor fits quite well with the scratched and spiky Knights Kingdom shoulder armor, for instance.

I second Onepu's observations.

Also, Discord is a good suggestion, since I've been already using it for over a year now, but haven't thought of looking for MOCists over there.

21 hours ago, Onepu the Protector said:

I think you're being a bit too harsh on your MOC.

The color scheme is a bit generic but what makes it more interesting is the placement of the colors, which makes Hraunarr look like a red-skinned guy wearing black pants - this kind of half-naked appearance suits the burly vibe you get from him. What's more, I like the use of the 2008 Hau - while not my favorite Kanohi by itself, its knightly design fits the Knights Kingdom armor. The Hydraxon-like articulated hands I'm not a fan of, I feel like they're way overused in the Bionicle MOC-ing community. As far as the supposed clashing textures go, I don't think the MOC is nearly as bad in that regard - I think Stronius's rocky armor fits quite well with the scratched and spiky Knights Kingdom shoulder armor, for instance.

I appreciate it. The colors a bit boring but I did my best to organize them as such. The spiked motif with the stronius armor with the kk armor was absolutely intentional, but the textural inconsistencies would be the difference between the super smooth upper arms and not-so-smooth lower arms. I don't really dislike it, I just think its a boring MOC and it doesn't have the personality that my more recent MOCs do.

19 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

I second Onepu's observations.

Also, Discord is a good suggestion, since I've been already using it for over a year now, but haven't thought of looking for MOCists over there.

I can recommend a few servers if you like. There's a lot out there but only a few that I would recommend for good feedback.

Edited by Mitch Henry