Sign in to follow this  
Takanuinuva

A Ninjago movie combiner project

Ever since reading the novel adaptation for The Lego Ninjago Movie. I wanted to make a combined mecha of the six ninja's vehicles. I have a general idea of what it should look like. But the main problem I'm having is I'm terrible at large scale custom builds. 

The sets i'm talking about are the Fire Mech, Ice Tank, Lightning Jet, Water Strider, Quake Mech and Green Ninja Mech Dragon.

I have an lxf file of the 6 sets and if anyone would be interested in helping me make this. I would really appreciate it.

Would anyone be interested in helping me?

I've thought about making something like this but never got around to it. I don't think I can help with the build itself, but I can offer some tips.

• If you want it to be piloted by all six ninja you'll probably want to make sure to make smart use of the cockpit pieces. Keep in mind that the Green Ninja Mech Dragon lacks a cockpit, but also that the Ice Tank has two windscreen pieces and that the Water Strider's cockpit is big enough to potentially fit two ninja.
  • Keep in mind that unlike Bionicle combiners, most aesthetic details of sets like these are separate parts. If you want to emphasize the combined nature of the build it might be smart to think in terms of "blocks" of detail and color. Taking this strategy to an extreme would be a combined mecha akin to a Megazord or Voltron, with each "limb" composed primarily of one vehicle's look, but that might not be practical with vehicles featuring such a wide range of sizes and shapes. But it's still worth being smart about colors and details so that it doesn't all blend together into something that is no longer recognizeable as a combination of the six original vehicles.
  • Be smart about joints. Some joints have more friction than others, and the sets in question have a pretty wide selection. If you're going for a humanoid mech, it's probably worth using thestrongest joints like the AT-AT joints from the Fire Mech and Water Strider on the legs, which will bear the most weight. And don't be afraid to cut out joints if need be—things like working knees may be impressive but are also likely to be weak points on a large model.
  • Don't feel like you're limited to a humanoid structure, either. It may be easier to combine the sets in question into a quadripedal mech or even a non-animal-based ship. Personally, I think one option that might be worth exploring would be a bulky winged dragon, given the thematic connections to the Ninjago theme.

This was never planned to be a real life set. I'm just working with LDD atm

But what I had in mind was.

Using the Ice tank as the base with the mecha having tread legs. (The cockpit and diamond shaped back plate would be removed) This would give it a solid base and I would't have to worry about legs.

That lead up into the custom cockpit with the Quake Mech's geared shoulders. This is the biggest problem as I don't know how to go about designing it. It would probably use most of the water strider parts as it has to go somewhere.

The arms were going to be a combination of the quake mech and fire mech arms, With weapons from the other vehicles attached.

The Mech Dragon's head would be the head of the mech. With other parts of it forming chest armor.

On the back of the mech would be the Ice Tank's diamond backplate folded out to look like wings. With the Lightning jet's engines attached underneath for boosters.

I've managed to make progress on this idea. I've built the base and wings of the combined mecha. I'll be posting progress pictures as this goes on

ninja_mechazord_progress_1.png

ninja_mechazord_progress_2.png 

Edited by Takanuinuva

This is looking amazing so far! I still hope you'll keep in mind my advice about joints, if only because it'd be great to be able to share instructions so that people could try building it in real life. Though having a solid base with treads instead of legs will certainly help in that respect.

I imagine that if you want a cockpit in the chest, the large windscreen from the Water Strider would probably fit pretty well in the center and potentially allow multiple ninja to be seated there. Another option might be to use the two windscreen pieces from the Ice tank where the "pectorals" would be, to provide a wide windscreen not entirely unlike Optimus Prime's chest.

This is looking really rad! Can't wait to see your continued progress!

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

This is looking amazing so far! I still hope you'll keep in mind my advice about joints, if only because it'd be great to be able to share instructions so that people could try building it in real life. Though having a solid base with treads instead of legs will certainly help in that respect.

I imagine that if you want a cockpit in the chest, the large windscreen from the Water Strider would probably fit pretty well in the center and potentially allow multiple ninja to be seated there. Another option might be to use the two windscreen pieces from the Ice tank where the "pectorals" would be, to provide a wide windscreen not entirely unlike Optimus Prime's chest.

Thanks I do plan on using the Water Strider and Ice Tank cockpit pieces. As for joints. It's going to have the Quake Mech's shoulders so the arms won't be an issue. One arm will have the fire mech flamethrower with the other having the Ice Tank blaster. (I'm going to remove the blasters at the base or at least the Ice tank one) I'm still not sure where to put the lightning jet's blaster. 

I've also decided the head will be from the mech dragon It'll stick on top with most of the mech dragon's parts making up the neck and collarbone/upper shoulders. 

Looking awesome so far. Since so many of the TLNM sets are on sale, I might be really tempted to buy second copies of all the sets to make this, or something like it, if you post the LDD file. Keep up the good work!

I've hit a roadblock at the cockpit. I can't decided whether or not to do a snot cockpit. (Studs facing forward) Or a standard cockpit (Studs Facing up)

I'm trying the studs up but I don't have enough brick parts to make it both sturdy and color coordinated 

Well I made some progress with the cockpit. My original problem was to have 3 of the ninja seated above the others. But i scrapped that idea and made a much smaller cockpit that still sits them and there controls from there mechs. It may look messy now but I'll be panelling the sides with fire mech and water strider parts to hopefully make it look better 

ninja_mechazord_progress_5.png

Well I finished the torso structure and tested how the parts looked put together

ninja_mechazord_progress_6.png

ninja_mechazord_progress_7.png

The torso is going to need more work as the wings collide with the arms preventing them from attaching fully.

But as it is now. How does it look?

Modified the torso some more. The pieces fit together a lot better. Now I just need to panel the outsides and add a bit of greebling and It should be finished

ninja_mechazord_progress_8.png 

It looks great and I'm sure it would look even better if anyone builds it in the brick so its awesome that you're sharing the ldd file.:thumbup: