The city I'm currently working on needed a proper structure to complete its monumental street, passing through modular buildings, a triumphal arch and around a central square. I thought a church, with a St Peter's Basilica styled columnade, could work well; in addition I used the world renowned Florence Duomo (which I actually built thanks to dear friends in my national LUG) as an inspiration for its plan. As usual, instructions are available for purchase. Hope you like it!

42498622935_a57f451110_b.jpg

42501976755_9761c12116_b.jpg

43358222372_5bc111a896_c.jpg

42501949255_fdcdd217b3_z.jpg

42689652894_f33f7377e9_c.jpg

Edited by Giacinto Consiglio

Very well done indeed, the dome and all the curved walls look good but I think the interior is fantastic, these sort of builds never cease to amaze me. Also like all the details without looking to busy or messy. Good job on this one for sure. 

It looks lovely, well done! The sand green reminds me vaguely of I Gesuiti in Venice, though of course the columns &c are much less marbled.

Impressive build, especially when viewing the interior. You managed to find the perfect balance for the whole architectural details which I assume wasn't that easy. Great!

Very beautiful! I saw on your Instagram you were trying to make the whole dome work, so congrats, it looks fabulous. Other than the dome, I'd like to really congratulate you for the whole layout. The three ovoid apses, plus the whole nave and the Beniniesque columnade look outstanding. On the front façade I really like how the front window is not entirely round, it forms a sort of an egg, plus the interior is very nice as well. The only thing I would say, is the front fountain is not huge enough! :laugh:

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, paupadros said:

Very beautiful! I saw on your Instagram you were trying to make the whole dome work, so congrats, it looks fabulous. Other than the dome, I'd like to really congratulate you for the whole layout. The three ovoid apses, plus the whole nave and the Beniniesque columnade look outstanding. On the front façade I really like how the front window is not entirely round, it forms a sort of an egg, plus the interior is very nice as well. The only thing I would say, is the front fountain is not huge enough! :laugh:

The only shape the front window could have (due to its dimensions and the availability of arched bricks) was an egg, but it's quite common in Baroque architecture, anyway. Glad you liked it! As regards the fountain, I didn't want it to overshadow the rest of the facade. :wink:

All I see is a rendering. What's a rendering worth; I can make beautiful renderings.

When do we see the real deal? I wouldn't buy instructions before that

6 hours ago, ampersand101 said:

I can make beautiful renderings.

That's as may be, but given a blank slate could you plan design a baroque cathedral of more than ten thousand pieces? That's what counts.

I agree this fellow is very talented but that's beside the point. He is selling instructions, and that's dishonest until I see a real life object.

Cool concept is all I see. 

1 hour ago, ampersand101 said:

I agree this fellow is very talented but that's beside the point. He is selling instructions, and that's dishonest until I see a real life object.

Cool concept is all I see. 

1. I have built the dome because I wasn't sure it would work : well, it worked

2. I can't afford a ~€2000 model as I'm 18, so I sell instructions to fund my passion.

3. I've done renderings first and then real models for all of my MOCs: go check them out and expect more in the future.

4. Hundreds of AFOLs do the same thing and sell instructions just like I do.

5. Ok, it's just a rendering. So thousands of MOCs are not even worth noticing due to their digital nature...

6. However, the most important point is that you should just comment on the model, not what I do with it.

And, to conclude, what's the purpose of what you said? 

I didn't know you were 18, I guess that changes the gravitas of my opinions. In any case, execution is the true test of a concept. Point of this since you are 18 and aren't catching on...the proof of the pudding is in the eating

It always amazes me when complex buildings like this also come with a complete interior.  Fantastic.

As far as renders go, whether it lets you complete your vision that you wouldn't be able to build yourself, whether it's a starting point to figure out tricky details before building something physically, or whether it encourages others to build, keep on rendering.  I fully appreciate the effort and the challenge in collecting all of the necessary parts to build any MOC, especially larger ones like this.  However there is a lot to be said for the up front design process that allows a MOC to exist in the first place, especially one that is as well done as yours.

Thanks for sharing.

That's a really impressive cathedral you designed, @Giacinto Consiglio! It's always difficult to make domes from Lego and yours works perfectly. There are some lovely details on the façade as well. Regarding what to improve, I agree with @paupadros that the fountain is a bit small. I also wonder if it would look better with more gold... Anyway, keep the amazing work up!

P.S. How’s that Art Nouveau modular going? I just can’t forget about it! :excited: