I may have challenged myself too much here, it could be a FIP but I’ll start with a WIP and we will see what happens as it progresses. 

No secrets here this will hopefully be a multi limb tower thing that can ‘collapse’ expand, spin around and everything in between...

Random is used in the name as the idea is that this ride can make any move anytime so the ride goer will not know what to expect... although it won’t exactly be random as the moves will hopefully be programmed (so easily changeable) into a system of steering racks on a system plate (or similar) to spin cogs or move pneumatic switches which will then move the ride...umm sorry I am really bad at expIning things. There is a technic set from the studded era that was ‘programable’ like this but I forget the set sorry.

like I said I’ve aimed quite high for myself so we will see what happens.

10b9d79e-7525-42e9-a3d8-c9249fddf633.jpe

0685afb1-e1f2-4127-b62a-9f9d516bc843.jpe

A sketch of what I’m trying to build *huh*

1559b8fe-20d1-4f68-8ce8-4eb3c3db7ccf.jpe

I think I get the idea. If you pull this off it will really be something else! Good luck:thumbup:

On 7/15/2018 at 7:48 AM, mocbuild101 said:

That's because it's not a set, it's from the 8888 ideas book:

That was an awesome idea. If I am not mistaken, we have contemplated doing a contest with this exact theme. Programmable by LEGO.

that's it! so not a set...memory fade.

thanks for any encouraging words.

after a bit more building on the tower today I am scared. I'ts getting tall and heavy. I'm really trying to keep weight down so the pneumatics can actually work. We shall see.

another major problem I see (i'll tackle it after the tower is finished and tested) is that there will be a lot of pneumatic hoses through the turntable. a bigger turntable... anyway wont go there just yet.

that's it for this week so hopefully update next week.

oh also I don't think this is a real life ride @pagicence if it was i think this would be frikken cool (if i do say so:grin:)

c1ef1cee-b2ba-470f-bc3d-2e039babfab2.jpe

You are basically making a randomized system of movement. This is quite interesting.

Perhaps you should consider to use the BWE quarter ring things as a proper bearing. The turntable you actually use seems a bit under dimensioned. 

15 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Randomness will be very complicated to achieve, so I'm curious to see how you will achieve it. Good luck!

actually the radom bit only applies to the ride goers not knowing whats next. the events of the ride will be programmed and fine tuned/choreagraphed, otherwise I see this thing toppling over and breaking apart if anything could move at any time. although the programs can be swapped over so the next ride goers wont know what to expect.

but that is getting way ahead of my abilities. I may have to operate this carny ride manually whilst I take punters monies, eat my hotdogs and check out all the 'talent'

I will probably change the name.

12 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Perhaps you should consider to use the BWE quarter ring things as a proper bearing. The turntable you actually use seems a bit under dimensioned. 

:thumbup: I would definitely use these if I had them. although I want them anyway, I am reluctant to buy bits for this challenge. we shall see when i get to that part. I do have another idea using 42042 tracks. but its just an idea.

one problem is the driven axle getting in the way.

fun times!

I was getting excited and a rename was going to be ‘mecha fist of fury’ but it’s turned into ‘mecha fist of failure’

Version 1 above got too big and heavy. 

Version 2 below, pretty much the same. I minimised as best I can but I failed. This will not work how I wanted it too.

I haven’t even added the people spinning seat bit that would be clutched in the fist yet.

I am all out of ideas.

e0c467c7-bc47-42d5-876c-5a5e1c7aad75.jpe

I would say that you should either reduce the number of segments to 2 or 3 and/ or double the number of cylinders on each. In either case, weight should no longer be a problem.

13 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I would say that you should either reduce the number of segments to 2 or 3 and/ or double the number of cylinders on each. In either case, weight should no longer be a problem.

I agree, but you also need to remember that every segment is a lever - the longer they are, the more force is applied to the cylinders - which means that it will need at least 1-2 more cylinders at the base to be strong enough.

I'd build with 3 segments, with 3 cylinders at the base, 2 at the middle, and 1 at the top - that would make it plenty strong enough to do what you want.

3 segments would drastically reduce the most interesting part of this build I think.
Id stick with the number of segments and increase the amount of cylinders.

Thank you for your thuoghts people.

I also think that reducing segments will decrease interest. it would just end up being an excavator arm...although I will dwell on that some more. it would perhaps be lighter but still reach as far (height prowess etc)

so far I'm not talking about cylinder strength (although I probably will be when I actually test it) but two at the base does seem necessary like you say. It mostly seems like weak segment strength, and 'bending' of the arm when horizontal segment gaps (Lego tolerance's)

my current thoughts are that this ride will not be as interesting as first thought. In theory it seems good but when playing with the arms and its movements, not so.

Quake not in fear anymore TC14 competitors :laugh:, I have had to retire this … thing. Time and expertise are all eluding me so unfortunately there will be no entry from me this time. I know there is still many weeks to go, but I would never get this working in any way shape or form by then.

Maybe if someone else likes the concept they can run with it and succeed.

Thanks to @Jim and @Milan and Eurobricks for holding fun contests like this. Hopefully I’ll have a bit more sense relative to my abilities and time allowance for any next TC round.

Good luck to all!