Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on here but I have been following some of the amazing minifig scale Star Wars MOCs' on here.

I have been fascinated with them and decided to give them a bash. So far the rebel fleet includes UCS Slave 1, UCS Falcon (2017), Most recent A-Wing, I have made Intherts' X-Wing, U-Wing, as well as created a Y-wing using his cockpit and reverse engineered the main body of the ship form images.

SO, to add to the fleet the Rebel scum have stolen the plans for a Lambda Shuttle.(I) They have gotten pretty far with the rebuild/reverse engineering of the design from the images on Marshal Bananas' Flickr but I have gotten stuck with the landing gear and how to connect the cockpit at those angles! I have started ordering parts for the real build. I'm about 50% delivered and will be starting on the cockpit first to try work it out in actual bricks.

Would welcome your comments as well as any advice you guys may have about the build.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150280550@N02/

43391171071_a72f070359_c.jpgMB Lambda Shuttle by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

43391170941_e43257e963_c.jpgMB Lambda Shuttle #1 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

43391170191_0f88274042_c.jpgCapture4 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

43391170151_b1c1602af2_c.jpgCapture5 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

43391170081_a27bb6a351_c.jpgCapture6 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

43343361982_75135958f8_c.jpgCapture3 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

43391170381_7e7154aacc_c.jpgCapture1 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

Thanks!

Hamish

Overall an amazing design for a shuttle but so interior features would have made it a lot nicer!

Just a question but is there landing gear or the ramp from the nose?

@JarJarBonks It is by no means finished.

In my OP I mentioned that I'm stuck on the landing gear and cockpit. There is a ramp at the cockpit but at this point I have no plans for an interior but there is plenty of room for it to be added later.

The wings are geared so there could be motor functions added at a later date.

I want to get the main body worked out and then work out the rest in bricks I think.

Ramp -

29531924578_8b71930c97_c.jpgCapture7 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

Cockpit Interior (WIP) -

43402076581_8b2d57439b_c.jpgCapture8 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

Space for main interior to be added later -

28532890617_fde28dbe8f_c.jpgCapture9 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

1 minute ago, Hamsha said:

@JarJarBonks It is by no means finished.

In my OP I mentioned that I'm stuck on the landing gear and cockpit. There is a ramp at the cockpit but at this point I have no plans for an interior but there is plenty of room for it to be added later.

The wings are geared so there could be motor functions added at a later date.

I want to get the main body worked out and then work out the rest in bricks I think.

Holy cow this is amazing.

1 hour ago, JarJarBonks said:

Holy cow this is amazing.

Thanks @JarJarBonks The angles of the cockpit are really complicated. Im waiting for a load of different hinge parts to be delivered so I can experiment with how to connect it up!

Im planning on updating this thread with progress as I go. If anyone has any advice I am all ears!

Managed to get a couple hours playing about with hinge parts to locate the angles of the cockpit.

It's a HOT MESS but its close to the correct locations for the parts. As a first draft of the connections it works but needs ALOT of work on the joints. Those ball joints are a bit of a lifesaver for this!

Again all suggestions are welcome!

43378838652_f0656935f4_c.jpgDSC_0186 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

43378839922_9d6e9f47d4_c.jpgDSC_0184 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

42710293104_da42f70b73_c.jpgDSC_0187 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

Update on the cockpit - 

I took a second pass at the connections of the different parts and simplified it a bit! It feels more sturdy and takes up less room on the internal volume of the cockpit which is good because this till has to fit over the rest of the hull.

42530085445_93a20bd1a9_c.jpgDSC_0192 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

29563985558_fb3d65cbdc_c.jpgDSC_0193 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

29563985078_fbeacaa710_c.jpgDSC_0196 by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

So the latest update is that i now have 95% of by brick link orders and I am getting going with the build to test bits out with it. 

I have come across some things that I didn't really consider like rarely of a couple pieces in white but its not a big deal to change the colour to tan/LBG/dark tan or similar with this build.

I have done the majority of the cockpit now with the build to hold the angles in place much more steady and feel more secure. Still need to work out the two wedge sections that come up underneath the cockpit though.

Interior cockpit (WIP) - Ramp closed

28667637957_1cd84f1f4e_c.jpgLambda Shuttle - Build by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

Interior cockpit (WIP) - Ramp open

28667634797_e07b6eaafb_c.jpgLambda Shuttle - Build by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

Front cockpit attached - Inside view

43555062791_cc0f46e369_c.jpgLambda Shuttle - Build by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

Front cockpit attached - Outside view

43555064261_93e1d09e66_c.jpgLambda Shuttle - Build by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

Underside greebling

28667642837_70f36cacdf_c.jpgLambda Shuttle - Build by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

Main body with part of the internal structure - WIP this will need changed im sure once the main sail is on and I see how heavy the wings are. Will need to test this out a bit I think

41756227780_043b19f556_c.jpgLambda Build by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

Main body (WIP) with cockpit attached. I will need to also work on the attachment of the cockpit to the main hull as its a bit weak just now. 

28676779697_c036899bea_c.jpgLambda Shuttle Build by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

@stormtroopercaptain Thanks for the support! Yea its an amazing ship design. I really enjoyed working backwards from MBs' photos but I don't think I am going to try doing my own design for a while yet!

I think MBs' version is the best I have seen. I love the SNOT design for the majority of it but with some studs on show to remind you that it is lego still. It ties in nicely with the Inthert ships I have built so far! Just waiting for Brickvault to release those B-wing instructions to have all the rebel ships! :D

Oh yea when I finally do it I’ll be taking a lot of inspiration from MBs as your right it is one of the best. I just have to decide if I want to take this or a vy-49 Decimator on first. 

- Update -

Unfortunately for the past few weeks I have had to shelf the project as work has gotten in the way. Not to mention the mounting Bricklink orders taking their toll!

I think that the internal structure of the model needs totally reworked. I am going to attempt to adapt the internal structure of 10212 to suit this project however I am not 100% sure how im going to do that. 

The wings are built and have had to be restructured a little bit with regards to technic pins and things to keep the strength in them. It could be stronger but I think that it is okay while keeping within MB's original design, will probably iterate on this at some point too.

The build for the wings is much heavier than I had anticipated so I am going to spend a lot longer working in bricks to make sure it holds the weight well. I need to get a good solid base for the main hull to work from first, my current build is a bit weak and wouldn't hold up to the weight of the wings at all!

I am not 100% sure when I will be able to get back to this especially with BrickVault having released that perfect B-wing from Inthert! I would like to get the design finished this year however this is coming into a busy period for me but will try to update this again soon.

Images of the wings to follow in a couple days. 

Hi folks,

Update on the build is that over Christmas I have managed to build the main sail and wings. I am redesigning the whole internal structure of the hull. It's proving to be quite complicated.

I started with the design used for 10212 but stretched so that it fits the measurements of the hull but it is somewhat complicated to get right. The flipping the studs on the underside of the hull means that the clear blocks that are used in the body wont fit I don't think. I am working around the idea of it being done with power functions but the wings are so heavy that the internal structure needs to be SOLID and the gearing has to be just right. 

Any tips from anyone would be much appreciated!

31585828757_dc6c8fafc1_c.jpgWings by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

46473950652_a09e27d2b5_c.jpgMain sail by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

31585828917_c1e94828c5_c.jpgHull interior structure V2 - WIP by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

31585829957_094d75636d_c.jpgHull interior structure V3 - WIP by Hamish Dobbie, on Flickr

@Lbcwanabe Thank you very much! I am using the digital model to sketch out ideas but not the final design, its all being done in bricks because the weight of the wings has to be taken into consideration and that's all got to be done in bricks!

@stormtroopercaptain @La Chupacabra Thank you both for the support, I am hoping to make some more progress now I have the motor functions set and try out the motor! I will update once I have more progress!