Sign in to follow this  
Carefree_Dude

Christmas Night, an Emerald Night MOD

I was trying to make my own train based on the 10254 Holiday train, but was having issues with getting all the power functions to fit. I eventually decided to just build the Emerald Night to match up with the colors of 10254, and added a few minor changes. I'm fairly happy with the results. I used a plastic dye on the tender wheels, I think they turned out pretty well. 

2IkCYus.jpg?1

See full album here: https://imgur.com/a/Ez6tuxm

Nicely done.  A bit more decorations and you're ready for Christmas in July.  :wink:

3 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Nicely done.  A bit more decorations and you're ready for Christmas in July.  :wink:

In all seriousness I feel the train could be a little more festive. What would you recommend?

3 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Beautiful steam engine ...it would be great have a close up of the red wheels of your tender. :excited:

The passenger wagons are lovely! :wub:

Great work! :thumbup:

http://i.imgur.com/isDtJSe.jpg

I also tried painting holders and buffers but it didn't turn out as nice

http://i.imgur.com/iBRGxv2.jpg

17 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow the red wheels' holders are gorgeous ...why are you unsatisfied?

You've done a great work! :thumbup::thumbup:

For some reason, the dye didn't bond to the plastic like it did for the wheels. I also may have done too much per coat, and the coat isn't exactly even. There's still some black showing through the red. The buffers have a similar issue. I may just bite the bullet and buy some old red ones. 

Speaking of buffers, somehow they exist in White and Blue, but I have no idea why or where the bricklink sellers got them from. 

On 7/16/2018 at 4:58 PM, Goldenmasamune said:

In all seriousness I feel the train could be a little more festive. What would you recommend?

You could string some lights, garlands, HO HO HO stickers, candy canes, gold lettering/numbers/trim, reindeers, etc.

Brilliant, and upon seeing it, it is such a "why didn't I think of that". You need a sleeping mouse for your Christmas Night though.

On 7/17/2018 at 4:24 PM, Goldenmasamune said:

Speaking of buffers, somehow they exist in White and Blue, but I have no idea why or where the bricklink sellers got them from. 

My first thought was that they came from a clone set (they copied a lot of the train parts), but those sellers at least know that it is a rare part. So I would guess they came out of the model shop (the lego builders can get small injection run in other colors). Sometimes extra parts leak out.