Cumulonimbus

42082 - Rough Terrain Crane - MODs and improvements

Thank you for the pics and input, i've decided to go the Custombricks route for now, first because of the PF Motors being a lot cheaper at the moment and second, because i can use an IR Remote for driving the crane (disconnect 2 cables from Sbrick and put them on an IR Receiver). This will allow my kid to have a better play experience (he likes to drive those things, Daddy or Mama has to do the rest :P)

I know there is a remote for C+ as well but i have PF motors and receiver/Remote already ;)

Also, i will be trying to work out a way to add a second battery box to the chassis (hence removing the 360Deg limitation)

53 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

Thank you for the pics and input, i've decided to go the Custombricks route for now, first because of the PF Motors being a lot cheaper at the moment and second, because i can use an IR Remote for driving the crane (disconnect 2 cables from Sbrick and put them on an IR Receiver). This will allow my kid to have a better play experience (he likes to drive those things, Daddy or Mama has to do the rest :P)

I know there is a remote for C+ as well but i have PF motors and receiver/Remote already ;)

Also, i will be trying to work out a way to add a second battery box to the chassis (hence removing the 360Deg limitation)

I understand your reasons. I didn't have enough PF stuff and I'm not gonna invest in any more since it's been discontinued by Lego. BUT I had the Liebherr. That thing gave me all I needed to power everyting in the future.
And I thought it would be a challenge to do something I hadn't seen being done somewhere else, and I succeeded.

Ok, so i went aheand and got the RC instructions from custombricks,  put it all together, was less work than i thought (a lot of sections can be detached and then reassembled, basically it;s just the center and superstructure gearbox which need to be ripped apart, rest can be attached with some minor modifications)

Additionally i did the 3-stage boom based on Grove GMK6400 from the forums here.

After launching it i regret having bought the SBricks, should have gone for Buwizz, i can see two of them could be easily squeezed in place of the SbRicks (which would solve the 360deg rotation problem too and add a bit more power dues to having the option to go 11.5V instead of 9V)

For now i am looking to replace the AA Batteries inside the BB for 3x LiFePO4 3.2V rechargables to get a little bit more kick into it (even after changing the gear ratio from the XL Motor, the model struggles on thicker carpets)

I am searching in vane for any designs for Y-Guying/Luffing for a Mobile Crane. no matter if manual or automatic deployment, i would like to somehow support the fully extended boom.

Anyone any ideas ?

PS: where do you guys get those longer strings ? i cant find any decent string anywhere...

Edited by Jasseji

1 hour ago, Jasseji said:

PS: where do you guys get those longer strings ? i cant find any decent string anywhere...

I can't speak for anyone else, but a couple of years ago I bought a spool of polyamide cord at a DIY store. It's worked fine for me, though it's not ideal visually since it's white.

1 hour ago, Jasseji said:

what size did you take (diameter) ?

I got .35 mm (26 kg) gauge but I reckon even .12 mm should work fine unless you need the line to resist stress exceeding 7 kg.

Just now, suffocation said:

I got .35 mm (26 kg) gauge but I reckon even .12 mm should work fine unless you need the line to resist stress exceeding 7 kg.

hm, i mostly meant the optics, so it isnt much thinner than the original rope

I had the same issue that the thread used for sewing was too thin and didn't meet the thickness and appearance of the original Lego rope.

Now I am using Yarn from my local "Michaels" store (In the United States), it looks too wide first in the store, but when it is on the crane with a hook on it, it stretches out and looks just right.

Here is a link to the Michael web store: ("Value™ Solid Yarn by Craft Smart®")

https://www.michaels.com/value-solid-yarn-by-craft-smart/M10196925.html?dwvar_M10196925_size=7 oz&dwvar_M10196925_color=Black

Thanks all, I already got the braided fishing line 0,6mm, it's a bit thinner than the original lego wire but works brilliant, now I need to figure out all the other stuff

Wow that looks very nice!

Having 1 Servo per axle is cool as it allows the crane to crab-steer. But isn't 1 XL-Motor a little weak to move such a heavy model? I would have probably went with 1 Servo for both axles and 1 Drive Motor per axle instead. But of course having 2x Drive Motor and 2x Servo would be best :laugh:

Just now, Gray Gear said:

But isn't 1 XL-Motor a little weak to move such a heavy model? 

As you can see in the video, one XL-motor does the job ... but indeed 2x XL-motors would do the job even better ;) 

Why is there two motors for outriggers and one for drive? Wouldn't it work better if it was the other way around?

23 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Why is there two motors for outriggers and one for drive? Wouldn't it work better if it was the other way around?

I second that :thumbup:

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

This arrangement of the engines allowed me to keep the original design of the drive section. In the chassis, only the middle section (containing the dividing gears) has been changed. The remaining elements of the chassis were not modified. This is an advantage of this design, possible to achieve thanks to such an arrangement of the engines.

13 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Any chance we can have instructions or a digital file?

Not yet, but in the future I think I'll do at least an .io file.

IMG-20211127-130218.jpgHello,

Another little bit of offtopic, but I have found another usage of the crane ;-)

Have a nice evening

Edited by Malek83
Photo

On 8/19/2020 at 5:26 PM, LegoM4 said:

Also, the CB version cannot rotate freely as it has 1 battery box in the upper structure and a cable that goes through the gear disk down to 1 of the 2 SBricks in the undercarrriage.

I have been trying to figure out where the Sbrick at the base is getting the power from. Now I know. Does the upper super structure rotate more than 360°?

4 hours ago, New_User said:

I have been trying to figure out where the Sbrick at the base is getting the power from. Now I know. Does the upper super structure rotate more than 360°?

No, it goes to 359 and then you have to go back.

If there is a way we can transmit electrical power from the battery box from the upper super structure to the base thru the turn table, we can have infinite rotating structure and at the same time powering the entire vehicle by using only 1 battery box.

The only thing I can think of is, integration of slip ring, probably 2 channel.