Cumulonimbus

42082 - Rough Terrain Crane - MODs and improvements

Hello everybody,

I decided to put the new XL LA's on the 42082 RTC and now I think the crane looks a bit more realistic.I modded the boom with 9L red beams to look a bit 'bulkier'. With the new actuators I could put a support for the boom in drive mode. I also put an extension for the boom for this extra 'reach', I could only do this with the new LA's so the main boom can be more vertical and that the 2nd stage doesn't bend too much.

20200405_102755.jpg

20200405_102823.jpg

The 2 pins that hold the extension in place can be stored in the base

20200405_102918.jpg

The support can be folded downwards so the upperstructure can rotate 360°

20200405_103028.jpg

20200405_103056.jpg

The normal boom is extendable with the extension in its storage space

20200405_103307.jpg

The angle of the extension can be adjusted manually

I only heve to install the string and the hook (need longer string)

I would like to add that you will get full elevation range when using the XL actuators:

570_wr_332xx.png

Lower and upper limit is imposed by superstructure. However, in my setup there is sometimes a cracking noise if the boom is lowered below horizontal position (0°):

557_mod.png

I also made a small support for the boom when travelling:

593_mod.png

Edited by anyUser
pictures and information added.

Hello, my 42082 is out for delivery with Amazon, so i should get it until end of the day.

I have already looked into modding it properly from the beginning and would like to implement a few changes immiedately during the initial build.

First on my list are those two which i find essential:

- @MikeTwo9398's Gearbox mod (ordered the missing bits already, hope they arrive in the Post today as well)
- @efferman's LA transmission mod which i understand can be done using parts of the set (i have a some extra parts too, from what i saw i shouldnt be missing anything)
- Hook design from 42108 as i dont have the Metal Hook but have some extras which i can use

Anything else which might be seen as essential during the build and preferrably can be done with minimal extra parts ?

Long-Term goal is full RC but that will come later on.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:43 AM, Jasseji said:

Long-Term goal is full RC but that will come later on.

Full RC would be cool. it has been done but they are a bit of a bodge job in places

Edited by SNIPE

5 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

Full RC would be cool. it has been done but they are a bit of a bodge job in places

ye i know, i have seen a few different designs and will look which to implement, TBH best would be with the new Technic BT Hub with 4x ports but i;m not really sure these 2 big boxes can be hidden inside the model somehow (i know about SBrick tho but i was thinking PoweredUP is the Future and Powerfunctions will be discontinued soon)

At the moment tho i am fighting with the supports, for RC it's not feasilbe to take out those under-foot pads and extending the supports by 2 studs (changing those 5 hole beams to 7-hole) doesnt really bring much (same problem as with 42108 but at least here in the 42082  the chassis is wide enough that it could house the 2-piece suppors as used on the Mack but i dont know how to motorise them fully)

On 8/7/2020 at 9:51 AM, Jasseji said:

ye i know, i have seen a few different designs and will look which to implement, TBH best would be with the new Technic BT Hub with 4x ports but i;m not really sure these 2 big boxes can be hidden inside the model somehow (i know about SBrick tho but i was thinking PoweredUP is the Future and Powerfunctions will be discontinued soon)

Hi, first post for me on this forum and a beginner in Lego.

I managed to put ALL of the electronics of the 42100 Liebherr in the 42082 as my first semi-MOC. With Brickcontroller2 and a gamepad it is now fully RC. Had to make a few visual compromises but I stayed as close to the original as possible. I think it looks great and it works flawlessly.

Best thing: you can't see any of the Control+ stuff and the hubs can be switched on easily with a few knobs like in the 42114 Volvo Hauler.

Let me now if anybody is interested in some photos to get an idea to get started yourselves. I just finished it yesterday and have no plans on taking it apart completely just yet but I'm happy to help.

1 hour ago, LegoM4 said:

Let me now if anybody is interested in some photos

Seconding TeamThrifty here, I'd be very interested in seeing photos of how all the stuff is arranged and maybe even a video on how the functions perform.

22 hours ago, LegoM4 said:

Hi, first post for me on this forum and a beginner in Lego.

I managed to put ALL of the electronics of the 42100 Liebherr in the 42082 as my first semi-MOC. With Brickcontroller2 and a gamepad it is now fully RC. Had to make a few visual compromises but I stayed as close to the original as possible. I think it looks great and it works flawlessly.

Best thing: you can't see any of the Control+ stuff and the hubs can be switched on easily with a few knobs like in the 42114 Volvo Hauler.

Let me now if anybody is interested in some photos to get an idea to get started yourselves. I just finished it yesterday and have no plans on taking it apart completely just yet but I'm happy to help.

OK, here are some quick shots I made the last time I took it apart for the last mods. It's an odrive link to a ZIP file and it shows the final version. Not far enough to duplicate I'm afraid but I'll try to update the link with more photos. 

Photos

Basically I bought the instructions from the RC version on CustomBricks to give me an idea to start with. I thought I'd just replace the legacy motors with the new ones and solve the problems of them being bigger. That didn't work at all and I ended up using only their solution for driving the crane with an perpendicular placed XL motor and 2 yellow 4-tooth gears that I took from my Bugatti. (That was the 1st set I build last year but it's just a waste of space and parts)
As you will see this XL motor is placed in the middle of the chassis. Across it on the other side is the 1st hub, battery facing outward. Placed also dead in the middle, as high as possible. The connection flanges are inside the lower large tooth ring. The edges of the flanges go between 2 teeth, I was amazed this fitted!

Visually I changed the mid ladders to keep 2 boxes for the toolsets, albeit only useable on the XL motor side. But I'm currently thinking of trying to change them back into something that looks like the original but losing 1 useable box. I also changed the crane door opening to match the position of the ladders.

Anyway, for now I'll end by saying there's another XL motor for the outriggers and an L for steering. In the upper structure the 3rd XL is for raising the boom and 3 L's for rotating, extending and the winch. So the distribution of the electronics is also a copy of the 42100.

Questions? Just let me know.

11 hours ago, LegoM4 said:

OK, here are some quick shots I made the last time I took it apart for the last mods. It's an odrive link to a ZIP file and it shows the final version. Not far enough to duplicate I'm afraid but I'll try to update the link with more photos. 

Photos

Basically I bought the instructions from the RC version on CustomBricks to give me an idea to start with. I thought I'd just replace the legacy motors with the new ones and solve the problems of them being bigger. That didn't work at all and I ended up using only their solution for driving the crane with an perpendicular placed XL motor and 2 yellow 4-tooth gears that I took from my Bugatti. (That was the 1st set I build last year but it's just a waste of space and parts)
As you will see this XL motor is placed in the middle of the chassis. Across it on the other side is the 1st hub, battery facing outward. Placed also dead in the middle, as high as possible. The connection flanges are inside the lower large tooth ring. The edges of the flanges go between 2 teeth, I was amazed this fitted!

Visually I changed the mid ladders to keep 2 boxes for the toolsets, albeit only useable on the XL motor side. But I'm currently thinking of trying to change them back into something that looks like the original but losing 1 useable box. I also changed the crane door opening to match the position of the ladders.

Anyway, for now I'll end by saying there's another XL motor for the outriggers and an L for steering. In the upper structure the 3rd XL is for raising the boom and 3 L's for rotating, extending and the winch. So the distribution of the electronics is also a copy of the 42100.

Questions? Just let me know.

Can you elaborate why it turned out impossible to swap the motors used by CB for the new ones ?

I have thought about doing it with the new Motors as well but honestly dont know where to start :D

10 hours ago, Bartybum said:

@LegoM4 can you upload them to imgur instead and send an album link? A zip file isn’t convenient

Every Win or Mac has native support for ZIP files. I have never used imgur but I guess it means I have to link every photo in my replies after uploading them?

Sorry, don't know yet. Depends what the others think. Is it really inconvenient?

40 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

42082 + 42080 chimera

116253993_3348879628495483_7332825178309876896_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=6aFdQ3qKCvQAX8UEygf&_nc_ht=scontent-hkg4-2.xx&oh=2e80d948a5331bfd124d4df16d92af4d&oe=5F621AC0

Found this on fb. Apparently no instruction available.

The other day I passed an 8x8 crane with large wheels on the motorway. Immediately gave me the idea of buying a 2nd 42082 and combine them into something similar. This one doesn't look like the real thing by far but it's impressive nonetheless. Better be quick before the 42082 get's more expensive. It's still the cheapest PPP model I have.

18 minutes ago, LegoM4 said:

Every Win or Mac has native support for ZIP files. I have never used imgur but I guess it means I have to link every photo in my replies after uploading them?

Sorry, don't know yet. Depends what the others think. Is it really inconvenient?

I don’t wanna sound pushy but please do it. Everyone here uploads their images to an external hosting website - nobody uses zips because nobody wants to download a zip just to look at images, then have to keep the zip hanging around in case they want to look at the pictures again in the future.

I’m pretty sure you can embed albums, but if not then it’s not much more effort to paste each link here individually unless you have like 20+ photos

Edited by Bartybum

1 hour ago, Jasseji said:

Can you elaborate why it turned out impossible to swap the motors used by CB for the new ones ?

I have thought about doing it with the new Motors as well but honestly dont know where to start :D

All the C+ components are slightly bigger, sometimes you have that extra space but usually not. The CB version uses a servo for steering that I didn't have in C+. (Now I do by owning the 42114 but that's completely different). I do find the C+ components to be easier to work with because of the square design.

Furthermore, the 42100 has 3 XL motors that I had to put somewhere. The CB version only has an XL for driving. The rest is L.

Also, the CB version cannot rotate freely as it has 1 battery box in the upper structure and a cable that goes through the gear disk down to 1 of the 2 SBricks in the undercarrriage. I only had one and didn't feel like buying a 2nd SBrick as this tech is obsolete for LEGO now.

All in all my version is superior to the CB version (I think), it's the future in LEGO motorisation BUT you do need a game controller. Costs about as much as an SBrick but it works so much better than the LEGO app which I probably will not bother with again. 

2 minutes ago, LegoM4 said:

All the C+ components are slightly bigger, sometimes you have that extra space but usually not. The CB version uses a servo for steering that I didn't have in C+. (Now I do by owning the 42114 but that's completely different). I do find the C+ components to be easier to work with because of the square design.

Furthermore, the 42100 has 3 XL motors that I had to put somewhere. The CB version only has an XL for driving. The rest is L.

Also, the CB version cannot rotate freely as it has 1 battery box in the upper structure and a cable that goes through the gear disk down to 1 of the 2 SBricks in the undercarrriage. I only had one and didn't feel like buying a 2nd SBrick as this tech is obsolete for LEGO now.

All in all my version is superior to the CB version (I think), it's the future in LEGO motorisation BUT you do need a game controller. Costs about as much as an SBrick but it works so much better than the LEGO app which I probably will not bother with again. 

Ah OK, so servos are now there for C+? 

I thought about the battery stuff as well to put 2 battery boxes in it but use the instructions from CB just change for C+ Motors (maybe use smaller ones) 

I have game controllers lying around too, my most problem is designing the changes :) 

53 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

Ah OK, so servos are now there for C+?

No. Every technic motor can be used as a servo.

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

I don’t wanna sound pushy but please do it. Everyone here uploads their images to an external hosting website - nobody uses zips because nobody wants to download a zip just to look at images, then have to keep the zip hanging around in case they want to look at the pictures again in the future.

I’m pretty sure you can embed albums, but if not then it’s not much more effort to paste each link here individually unless you have like 20+ photos

OK, OK, I’ll see what I can do.?

3 minutes ago, Gimmick said:

No. Every technic motor can be used as a servo.

https://rebrickable.com/parts/69730/large-angular-position-motor-light-bluish-grey-housing-black-wire/

True, but this one is used as servo in the Volvo Hauler.

35 minutes ago, LegoM4 said:

OK, OK, I’ll see what I can do.?

https://rebrickable.com/parts/69730/large-angular-position-motor-light-bluish-grey-housing-black-wire/

True, but this one is used as servo in the Volvo Hauler.

okj, does it have multiple positions or just 90deg each direction ?

anyway, i will be looking to rebuild the 42082 after i come back from this business trip and i will be deeply looking at your pics to see what motors you put and how exactly ;)

6 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

okj, does it have multiple positions or just 90deg each direction ?

anyway, i will be looking to rebuild the 42082 after i come back from this business trip and i will be deeply looking at your pics to see what motors you put and how exactly ;)

I have no idea, my Volvo is still in it's sealed box but Google is your friend here I guess... This motor is not really 'new' apparently, just in new colors and branded as C+.

Steering the 42082 with a regular motor and the joystick of a game controller works perfectly also.

@LegoM4  This is amazing! and it's still neat and tidy on the outside, bravo.

does it have 7 motors or 8? it would be cool to have two steering motors so you can have different steering modes like in set 42054! and the 42100 has a spare motor output sicne it has 7 motors.

Any chance you can replicate this model again but as a digital model? I wanna build this so bad :).

Edited by SNIPE

4 hours ago, SNIPE said:

@LegoM4  This is amazing! and it's still neat and tidy on the outside, bravo.

does it have 7 motors or 8? it would be cool to have two steering motors so you can have different steering modes like in set 42054! and the 42100 has a spare motor output sicne it has 7 motors.

Any chance you can replicate this model again but as a digital model? I wanna build this so bad :).

Thanks!

I used all 7 motors of 42100:

XL drive, L steer, XL outriggers, XL raise boom, L extend boom, L rotate, L winch.

Knock yourself out with another motor in the base. No digital model, I started with LEGO to use my hands again instead of staring at a screen. Played with Studio a bit but it would take me even more time than the actual build. It's so much nicer to build with real bricks.

24 minutes ago, LegoM4 said:

Thanks!

I used all 7 motors of 42100:

XL drive, L steer, XL outriggers, XL raise boom, L extend boom, L rotate, L winch.

Knock yourself out with another motor in the base. No digital model, I started with LEGO to use my hands again instead of staring at a screen. Played with Studio a bit but it would take me even more time than the actual build. It's so much nicer to build with real bricks.

I can only add the extra motor if I have instructions or at least, an LDD file. Studio is a pain in the megablocks IMHO and I'm not talented enough to mod the original set (which I have dismatled and only have the lxf/ldraw files for

I do have a ldraw file with 8 motors but its a bit messy how the guy modded it and its all power functions

Edited by SNIPE

I started deconstructing my crane (thanks!) to show how it's done. The mid section is modded, the outer parts are standard. Here you see the 2 XL's and the 1st hub. On the right in the back you see a glimps of the steering L. The XL in the middle, the gears and axles drive the outriggers. The small white wheel is the hub switch.

ASqW2f1.jpg

Here is a side view with the hub detached

x5AyBjm.jpg

Top view of the L steering motor, top red axle is the returning steering axle. I lost the light gray frame on this side to make room for the motor so had to make more adjustments here for the stiffness. Size of the model is exactly like the original, not longer or wider and the V8 still functions.

qs9Qf96.jpg

I realize to really start building you need to see how the XL drive motor is connected. This mid section was the hardest part and somebody better uses this info as I now will have to completely destroy it. But not tonight anymore.