Cumulonimbus

42082 - Rough Terrain Crane - MODs and improvements

I was able to get the three separate functions to work without cutting any LEGO pieces. The trick was to get the three switches on their own axel. So I had to suspend three 3 l axels without a huge fuss. I hope the pics uploaded . Not very Tec savvy. I have pics on Face book technic page 

Edited by Bobo08

Here the modification to the upper part gearbox to allow multiple actions.

Vanilla:

0gog6aM.png

Modified:

bAQaRcr.png

(Loose green parts is the parts list, green parts in the model are the additional pieces. Loose parts in original color are not used anymore)

lxf files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WPTM28PQc7nIOcpuupZDLHjGGMzDrI_H/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CcgULXrtptGdrvjKMYZ2vXmWaafTDAM-/view?usp=sharing

Please give some feedback what you think of this

Here is my modification of the upper gearbox.

With this modification you can control the upper functions of the crane simultaneous (raising, extending and hoisting).

View

Parts

On the left side of this picture you can see the parts I added. On the right side are the parts I did not use.

All other parts seens are avaiable in the model.

Here you can find a PDF file of the building instructions. The building numbers correspond with the building numbers in the 42082 instruction book.

Here is a video where you can see the working of the modification (the video also includes the building instructions).

10 hours ago, MikeTwo9398 said:

Here you can find a PDF file of the building instructions. The building numbers correspond with the building numbers in the 42082 instruction book.

Thanks! I have just started the disassebly of the A Model to build the B Model, but will afterwards try building the A Model with your modification.

Finished this crane a few hours ago. I put the claw from 42042 in it instead of the regular one. Fits well and looks better IMO.

First post ever in the forums but I’ve been reading for months.

i finally finished this set a few days ago, and also implemented the two mods of effe’s and MikeTwo9398. Now I’ll be looking for some more options to maybe make it full rc if possible.

any info or links to look for such instructions would be greatly appreciated 

7 minutes ago, MultiDoc said:

First post ever in the forums but I’ve been reading for months.

i finally finished this set a few days ago, and also implemented the two mods of effe’s and MikeTwo9398. Now I’ll be looking for some more options to maybe make it full rc if possible.

any info or links to look for such instructions would be greatly appreciated 

Ultimate 42082 by Jurgen Krooshoop

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/168470-ultimate-42082-with-instructions/

Edited by fred-eric
edit link

Got this baby for Christmas and although it is an awesome set I think it needs improvement.

My plans with this model are as follows:

• Fully motorize all functions:
    • Drive, of course keep the 4WD
    • 3 mode steering
    • outriggers: ultimately 2 stages, lets how we can get this done
    • super structure rotation
    • boom height
    • boom length
    • winch
  • Add a three stage boom
  • Increased range for the boom
  • metal hook
  • independed suspension
  • Claas tires

I started by motorizing the super structure and enhancing the boom with an Efferman inspired 3 stage boom. I realize I'm not the first one to have done this, but I didn't see it on this forum yet. The boom is now 6 panels long. I'm not shure if it is maybe one panel too long. It seems that some real life cranes have similar proportions. This is what it looks like in transport mode:

lIK12LGB89W_WsuflzYrwuQTrNc6IEi8tIVzA8Bx

And fully erect:

-iR5B5qV4XxnGfQpNJ8gaGF1r8DgEOat0H6MPk95

I was happily surprised that the LA's were able to lift this super heavy boom (albeit only in retracted state). Due to the limited range of the LA's the maximum height is now 120cm. I'm planning on using the Firgelli actuators to increase the range. Next year we may possibly do this with the new long LA's from the 42100. This should get the hook up to 150cm. Also note that the hook is modified with the metal hook.

There are now 4 large motors in the super structure that which are powered by a Buwizz unit. Making this part RC was surprisingly easy. Removing the gear boxes gives plenty of room for the motors and Buwizz.

HWtLAsltWplb0R3Hj-wUalTmC4H4UB3OgCfP4a_z

the 3th motor is vertically placed right behind the Buwizz, directly underneath the worm gear, while the 4th motor is deeper inside. 

I'll continue modding this set, starting with the Firgelli actuators. I feel than the easy part is done. Motorizing and adding suspension to the under carriage will need  a lot more modding. I feel the under carriage. Will also need to have some improved stiffness, since it is bending quite a lot already.

I'm wondering if more people are modding this model. Ideas and input are very welcome.

To be continued....

Nico71's C model was a huge success so no surprise he continues his work to prepare next models - which is so great! Can't wait!

I would like to thank you very much for your modifications efferman and MikeTwo9398 - works like a charm!

Only one question @MikeTwo9398 - I took 4 pins with axle, however somehow (and I am pretty sure I did not make any mistake) I needed 6 (two 3l pins left). That is weird and I am wondering if I used 2l pins with axle somewhere instead of 3l pins or maybe I had two 2l pins with axle less than I should in the set. Not a big problem tho.

@blondasek I think you are right. You need 6 pins with axle. It's correct in the instructions but the needed materials in the instructions are wrong.

Althoug I had 3 3l-pins left over. 2 not used at building step 738 and 1 not used at step 1036. At step 1036 I used a 2l-pin instead of 3l-pin.

@MikeTwo9398 I had two 3l pins after finishing the bags for the steps ~738, maybe indeed there was one more later on :) Thank you for clarification here. I was building my model at work and thankfully I had 42079 next to me so I could "borrow" that 2 pins with axle :)

1 hour ago, blondasek said:

@MikeTwo9398 I had two 3l pins after finishing the bags for the steps ~738, maybe indeed there was one more later on :) Thank you for clarification here. I was building my model at work and thankfully I had 42079 next to me so I could "borrow" that 2 pins with axle :)

May I ask where you work and what kind of job you have :laugh:*huh*.

The mod everyone's waiting to see: XL linear actuators in 42082.

20191104_152911

20191104_152927

20191104_153148

20191104_153320

I'd rather stay with the large LAs. The XL ones look like an overkill.

over, agree. Real cranes could not rise and set up their boom vertically.

of course I mean telescopic boom*

Daymn, if only there were a way to stop the actuators from fully extending, e.g. by tossing the crane off a cliff before the boom goes full 90°. Or by flicking the switch back to neutral - but that takes humungous flicking skills that only the best nose-pickers possess.

A far less drastic solution would be to move the actuators forward or the boom backward, thus also reducing the stress on the motor.

Just sayin'.

I actually drive an RT crane for work, and it tops out at a 75 degree boom angle, some others can do 80, and 2 rams do look like overkill but they're a bit thin, I think centering 1 would be good.

The end of the rod is connected about in the middle of the boom and the base is even with the middle of the cab.

4 hours ago, suffocation said:

Daymn, if only there were a way to stop the actuators from fully extending, e.g. by tossing the crane off a cliff before the boom goes full 90°. Or by flicking the switch back to neutral - but that takes humungous flicking skills that only the best nose-pickers possess.

A far less drastic solution would be to move the actuators forward or the boom backward, thus also reducing the stress on the motor.

Just sayin'.

Ofc. I just wanna show you guys the full range of movement.

Three stage boom,

I also tried to install a three-stage boom, which in my opinion looks better on the model. Proportion wise it's a better solution. The first stage is 7X7, the second 5X5 and the last stage remains the same of the original model. The second stage uses gears to extend and the last stage uses a string, according to the 42009 model. The LA's are able to lift the complete boom without a problem, the extension of the 2nd stage suffers a bit from friction but extends without engaging the clutch. The total length of the boom with extension is 103 cm, I'm also quite pleased with the bending as the stages still have sufficent support whe extended.

I tried to use as much of the original parts, and sorry for the color vomit as i dont have that much red parts.

20191111_163858.jpg

The boom could use the new LA's to be a little bit more vertical when fully deployed. The string under the main part is left over string from the last stage as I didn't want to cut away the left overs.

20191111_163914.jpg

20191111_163920.jpg

20191111_163945.jpg