Cumulonimbus

42082 - Rough Terrain Crane - MODs and improvements

The upcoming 42082 Rough terrain crane has inspired a whole list of possible improvements because I believe that at this scale some cool functions could/should be modeled (in random order):

•           Two stage outriggers, preferably PF controlled
  •           Multiple steering modes (minimal 2: 4WS and front wheel steering)
  •           Pendular front axle
  •          Luffing jib, folding away against the boom
  •          Second winch for secondary hook
  •          Replace LA’s which lift the boom with an actuator with a longer stroke for bigger range in the boom angle
  •           Cosmetic changes to cabin, engine cover and upper structure to resemble real cranes more like Grove or Terex

Some of these are probably overly ambitious and I’m not claiming to be able build all these MODs in one single model, but I am curious to see how far I can take this.

My first step is to take a look at possible two stage outriggers. So far I’m tinkering in LDD to find mechanisms for the horizontal stage which are rigid enough to support the Crane and compact enough to fit on both ends of the 42082. I think it must be possible to fit the outriggers in a module measuring 5x7x23 studs. The ultimate goal would be to lift the crane from its wheels, but considering the size and weight of the 42082, I would be happy if the outriggers can simply provide actual support.

Progress so far:

Crane_test.JPG

Edited by Cumulonimbus
Updated links to new image hosting service

The phrase "jumped the gun" is wholly inadequate for this topic. :grin:

Seriously though, I'm interested to see how your solutions will work on the real model.

Very interested as to how you’re gonna drive those linear actuators given the arms are so low :o

I’d like to propose three more ideas:

1. Three-stage boom (or thicker two stage boom)

2. Two sprung pendular axles

3. Stronger chassis structure that minimises flexing in the stock model.

On the topic of a brick built linear actuator @Cumulonimbus, is a pulley based LA feasible or would it be too wide?

Edited by Bartybum

11 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

•           Multiple steering modes (minimal 2: 4WS and front wheel steering)
  •  
  •          Luffing jib, folding away against the boom
  •          Second winch for secondary hook
  •          Replace LA’s which lift the boom with an actuator with a longer stroke for bigger range in the boom angle
  •  

Holy cow your all over it. 

I do agree these four at least would be great mods. Can't wait to see what people come up with, thinking this set will be good for modding, I fear they will all be done by the time I get my set though. Good thing though I will have many ideas to review, for my own mods, fortunately I have many spare parts laying around. 

An idea for effective sprung pendular suspension is to have the shocks mounted on a pivot - something like this:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

A a driven pendular axle, using the 42054 hubs is quite tricky even without springs. Especially the routing of the steering system interferes in many areas with the structural parts in the axle. To make it even more challenging, I want keep the height of the axle as low as possible since we have no idea yet how much room will actually be available in the crane chassis. An example of one of my axle concepts in LDD:

640x640.jpg

Edited by Cumulonimbus

57 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

You could also motorize the drivetrain by replacing the V8 engine with an XL motor.

And how about steering?

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

That's for someone else to work out. :grin:

There looks like some room is there. I would make it stay manual.

On 7/14/2018 at 12:18 PM, Cumulonimbus said:

A a driven pendular axle, using the 42054 hubs is quite tricky even without springs. Especially the routing of the steering system interferes in many areas with the structural parts in the axle. To make it even more challenging, I want keep the height of the axle as low as possible since we have no idea yet how much room will actually be available in the crane chassis. An example of one of my axle concepts in LDD:

Reute the steering through turntable and driveline via U joints pass pass the turntable, since steering needs to be the "priority function" with less slack.

Thanks to the chassis images of @Ctan, I could make a rough model with the correct proportions. As I suspected, it looks like there is enough space to have a pendular front axle, two stage outriggers and a fake engine. If the steering mode mechanism will also fit is not sure yet.To be continued...

800x475.jpg

@Cumulonimbus Now that we know the superstructure can rotate freely when the gear is not engaged, I think you can ditch the motorized rotation and use the space for 3 steering modes instead.

41 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Yes, the next step is to see where a steering mode selector like in the Claas can live, and how to actuate it.

Use the selector for motorized rotation. Make the knob in the back connected to steering of front wheels in neutral mode. Build a separate direction reversal system. Connect the gears to the steering of rear wheels.

@Cumulonimbus When the motorized rotation is ditched, the mode selector switch in the superstructure becomes redundant. It can be used to directly control the outriggers. So you can ditch both gearboxes in the undercarriage.

Another the option is that ditch the motorized rotation, then use the two gearboxes in the undercarriage to motorize two-stage outriggers.

Hello everyone, i just saw a video of a very interesting crane similar to this set, there are some pretty cool features which might be a good source of inspiration for modifications, like the 6 wheel arrangement and the removable outriggers modules, i think it would be cool to see something like this made in Lego:

Edited by Imanol BB

Hey guys, new to this and just finished the build, very detailed but as you all noted, lacking in some areas. Love the outrigger idea and steering! Please keep up on this thread because I'd love to retro fit in the future!

Just had an idea for an improvement.

Double the winch speed somewhere in the superstructure, and make a more complex pulley for the winch.

I agree, maybe a 6 part reaving and double the winch speed. Id also like to see more of a realistic style hook. Mobile RT's wouldn't have a duplex hook in this size. 

This begs the question, why don’t we have part 4185 (thin pulley wheel) with a pinhole instead of an axle yet??? Having a thin pulley wheel that can spin freely would be so helpful with proper compact reeving.

Been saying that for years! I normally just drill them out when using as a sheave lol. I'm probably going to widen the headstock of the boom and go with 5x 4185's and another 5 at the load block for a max 10 part line. Might have to add weights to the block though to run that much reaving.