Hello Everyone, this is my first post here, so apologies if I made any mistakes!

I was going to post this model on Lego Ideas, but (not surprisingly) Game of  Thrones is not suitable content for them, so I decided to post it here and see what you guys think.

This is a (not so small) scale model of the castle of Winterfell from George R. R. Martin's epic fantasy novel series A Song of Ice and Fire, and more specifically, a model of the castle as it appeared in HBO's award winning tv series Game of Thrones. In the series, Winterfell acts, (most of the time) as the home of house Stark, one of the main noble families in the fictional land of Westeros. 

Winterfell is seen often throughout the series, and stood out to me among all the other places in Westeros, not just because of its prominent role, but because of its unique design and architecture. Many of the castles we see in movies and on tv look amazing, with their numerous gold turrets, towers, large windows, and vast balconies, but all these features make the castles relatively unrealistic in an actual medieval setting. It is because Winterfell lacks these common features on fictional castles that it stood out to me so much. In the real medieval era, most castles were not very opulent, and had pretty plain, utilitarian exteriors. If you think about this, it makes quite a bit of sense, as putting all your wealth on the outside of your castle meant it could be damaged or stolen if you are attacked. 

I know, I know, most fantasy tv shows and movies aren't going for historical accuracy, including Game of Thrones, (I love seeing dragons flying around as much as the next guy) but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate when the creators do make things look as though they actually might in the given time period. 

I based this model off of the scale desktop model of Winterfell you can buy online (just search google for: Winterfell sculpture, and you'll see a few pages with it), and it includes all the main features of the castle, including the Winterfell Godswood, with the Weirwood tree and broken tower. I am quite pleased with the way the Weirwood tree turned out, its a new design that I haven't used before, maybe some of you have, but I hadn't, and so was quite pleased when I came up with it. 

Despite my best efforts, this is a large model, measuring approximately 2 feet by 1 foot, and comprised of 3046 pieces. If any of you want to build the model, a link at the bottom of this description will bring you to a folder with the full size images of the model, a bricklink parts list, a .io model file for the Stud.io lego design program (my personal favorite), and a .ldr model file for use with Ldraw. I do not have a .lxf file for use in Lego Digital Designer, as this model uses some newer bricks not in that program, so I apologize for not being able to offer that to those of you who use LDD. If you do build the model, please send me some pictures of it! As with my Hogwarts model, I don't have enough pieces to actually build it, so it would be awesome to see a real model if any of you are more fortunate with your LEGO collections than I am :). Also, feel free to share this with anyone you want and post images of it, as long as you remember to give credit to me as the model's creator, and provide a link back to this post. I will most likely be posting this model on Rebrickable as well, but I need to create instructions for it before I can do that, and that's the boring part of model making, so I'm procrastinating it :), A link to my Rebrickable page where you will eventually be able to find it will be posted beneath this description as well. 

And finally, here is the link to that folder with all the files mentioned above:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pb0hN4USgPyKzkSvDyXeKFhb4Nkczwxq?usp=sharing

and to my Rebrickable MOCs page:

https://rebrickable.com/users/EthanBrossard/mocs/

and here are the images!

43366890541_a9ea066f81_b.jpgwinterfell lego with logo3 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

43366905061_38139aa6e8_b.jpgwinterfell lego #0 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

28498023977_3088b07ffc_b.jpgwinterfell lego #1 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

43366903881_ba94ae56ed_b.jpgwinterfell lego #2 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

28498023147_8dcbaa010c_b.jpgwinterfell lego #3 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

43366902701_f77d92eccb_b.jpgwinterfell lego #4 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

28498022647_d404ebf3b5_b.jpgwinterfell lego #5 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

43366902221_b54273fecb_b.jpgwinterfell lego #6 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

28498022217_2f672075a9_b.jpgwinterfell lego #7 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

43366901631_ece6b0dfc4_b.jpgwinterfell lego #8 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

28498021267_9724fb3269_b.jpgwinterfell lego #9 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

43366898691_29b83281d3_b.jpgwinterfell lego #10 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

28498018337_e99c5cb028_b.jpgwinterfell lego #11 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

43366896731_98fb6b7e10_b.jpgwinterfell lego #12 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

28498016757_8ab95a747a_b.jpgwinterfell lego #13 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

43366895171_cb1c5f5be8_b.jpgwinterfell lego #14 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

28498015247_d5265b2c4b_b.jpgwinterfell lego #15 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

43366892361_0ab40ba9b3_b.jpgwinterfell lego #16 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

28498012797_b424dd1ef3_b.jpgwinterfell lego #17 small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

28498025127_22a5b5e0ab_o.pngwinterfell lego - winter small by Ethan Brossard, on Flickr

Thank you in advance for any feedback/advice!

Ethan

Edited by LegoDog0126

I was hoping for a snowy version. Winter has come.

I miss this show already. I am very much a Northerner, so Winterfell is where it's at.

I have considered building a small scale version, but never got around to it. I've seen some great versions of GoT. This definitely looks good. Keep up the good work.

Fantastic and instantly recognisable as Winterfell. Some of your close up shots remind me very much of how Winterfell (and all the other locations) look on the animated titled sequence on GoT.

Top notch micro building :wub: You accomplished the various angled walls and round building shapes really well!
The micro forest is beautiful as well :thumbup: