Hello guys,

my first time at a contest...

It possibly won't be done till the deadline, but that is not the problem, since i wanted to build something like this for a long time:

technical-park-amusement-rides-Typhoon-1

The prototype looks like this:

To-Do List:

1. Decorate the seats
  2. Find a good color-scheme
  3. Build the arm

800x415.jpg

To be continued

Edited by KikoTube

Darn, you have "taken" my idea! (haha, not really- I was planning the same thing and started to lay some stuff out, but whatever, it's for fun.) Yours already looks better than anything I could build with my pieces, so I think I will reconsider what my idea will be. I am intrigued as to how you will do the pendular motion motorized.

Following with interest :thumbup:

Thanks,

got a question for design.

Got two versions, one is more organized, one less. Which one do you think suits better?

Version 1:

800x415.jpg

Version 2:

800x415.jpg

800x415.jpg

V1. But that is also the more typical design I guess. Maybe V2 to make something not so ordinary ?

I guess V1 looks most like the real thing, but personally I think I would add even more colors to the mix.

It looks great as it is already though :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

I guess V1 looks most like the real thing, but personally I think I would add even more colors to the mix.

It looks great as it is already though :thumbup:

+1

Have you thought about how you're going to make it functional? Especially (of course) the swinging motion? Any ideas how you will be tackling that? I think that's the biggest challenge.

If you have that, I'd also suggest putting a turntable between the "disk" and the vertical shaft, so that you can make the disk rotate. I believe this happens on the real rides too. (But maybe there's already a turntable there?)

Also, I think you could build at least a quarter of the disk in real, to see how "round" it ends up being. It would be a shame if you find yourself having tons of cool color schemes for a disk that doesn't fit or is not nicely circular.

But I think your digital versions seem really nice and the yellow-white works well here. Good work so far, curious where this will be heading :)

@Erik Leppen

I don‘t think the motion will be a challenge, the only problem i see, is to make it very sturdy. 

If you look at the first picture, you can discover a small turntable, and a shaft :wink:

The circle is built with connectors (4107082), which are stabilizied with a sturdy construction. It was testet irl, and it works fine. 

But yes, you are right, i should probably start building the main structure before deciding on color schemes. I underrestimated the whole project. Thanks Erik :)

Any updates on this?

I've tries building something similar in the past and I got stuck getting the swinging motion right. When you use the turntables vertically like you do and add some weight there is quite a lot of friction on them. When you release the "arm" from a height, you'll notice it will just drop to the bottom instead of creating a nice swinging motion. If you do find a solution for that it would help a lot I think.

Getting the axle through is indeed the problem if you don't want to use turntables. I once (+12 years ago, so no pictures) made one with the small 9v battery box as part of the shaft to provide power for the rotation of the disk, so it is possible to avoid the turntables.

Also, try to keep the weight of the disk as low as possible. Of course you can still "cheat" a little bit by adding a counterweight.