This is a telescopic crawler crane I threw together almost overnight in the hope of overcoming builder's block.

1280x605.jpg

1280x640.jpg

1280x1327.jpg

1280x1481.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x756.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x1933.jpg

1280x1656.jpg

1280x1585.jpg

1280x1774.jpg

800x1863.jpg

800x1140.jpg

The undercarriage had been sitting around for months after I began (and never finished) a mod of 42055, so I just needed to remove a couple of unneeded motors and touch up the tracks.

The model is the usual combination of RC and hands-on that I like. Some technical details:

- undercarriage driven by 4 L motors (2 per track) geared down 1:25 and powered by 1 BuWizz unit;
- superstructure featuring 5 independent functions - boom raising and extending, winch, rotation and cab tilt - activated by a two-way gearbox driven by an XL motor, plus a fake 4-cylinder engine (based on 42030's) driven by an M motor.

I decided to use a brick-built actuator so I could get the boom to almost vertical.

I always struggle with bodywork - I did my best not to make it too boxy.

I'll make a video at some point - it started raining as soon as I took the last shot. (Apologies for the messy garden).

Edited by suffocation

Needed more torque. Could've used 1 XL per track but L motors are also great for structural solidity.

Edited by suffocation

7 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Very nice made! This is much better than your rough terrain crane so far.

Thanks :classic: Although to be fair, the RTC is far more complex.

Wow, very nice, So big boom!

Did you synchronized hook winch with boom extension? How if yes?

Waiting for video

Looks great! It would be interesting to see it side by side with a standard Lego crane to get a better impression of the size.

Could your boom extension be used for the 42082? I feel the 42082 misses one extension and I am happy to see you have been able to include it in your MOC.

21 hours ago, Ox1337 said:

Did you synchronized hook winch with boom extension? How if yes?

All of the superstructure's functions are independent, so they can be driven separately or simultaneously. Speedwise they're not quite in sync but close enough.

20 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

Looks great! It would be interesting to see it side by side with a standard Lego crane to get a better impression of the size.

Could your boom extension be used for the 42082? I feel the 42082 misses one extension and I am happy to see you have been able to include it in your MOC.

Thanks! :blush:

It's actually not that long - some 76 studs from tip to tail when fully folded. The whole thing weighs barely 2.7 kg, which is some 800 g less than the BWE.

Not too sure about the boom fitting on 42082 - from the preliminary pics it looks like 42082's is only five studs wide and pivots on an axle, whereas this one is seven studs wide and pivots on two turntables.

In time when I have changed my old smartphone (that got digital Alzheimer :grin: ), you posted topic that I did not notice until now. I must admit that you made very good model and for this size it looks decent and sturdy :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words, guys :wub:

On 8/10/2018 at 7:30 PM, Hogwartus said:

How about its lifting capacity?

Haven't tested it for fear of breaking something. It should be pretty decent though - the clutch gear can't slip since it's sandwiched between a worm gear and a z8 gear.