EDIT:  IT'S DONE:

scroll down to see the full final build and all pictures!

As it appears, I'm not the only one who came to this idea give The_Icestorm is building basically the same thing :tongue:

I have some ideas to make the difference more noticeable and give it my owns swing so we;ll see where it ends!

Anyway, here's a first look:
BBxAjiQl.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Edited by shadow_elenter

Other than being a device for the sole purpose of turning ones stomach inside out, does anyone know if the real ride coordinates the movement between gimbals to limit g-forces on the riders? I myself would not trust a carny worker to maintain a machine that requires synchronization to limit the forces on the riders.  As for your implementation so far, I have said a quick prayer for your Technic guys... Like one false move and you loose an arm.... but maybe that’s all part of the show? :laugh:  looks like it’s going to be a Tourbillon Battle Royale for this contest. Maybe we need to judge on rider g-forces experienced?:thumbup: 

5 hours ago, Bublehead said:

does anyone know if the real ride coordinates the movement between gimbals to limit g-forces on the riders?

I believe all the rings are controlled independently and are moved in a set pattern. Being a new ride for 2018, I do not know that much about it. (Even though is is near me, I do not want to puke my guts out :sick:)

I like the inner passenger seats! I guess we will have to see how different our builds are at the end, I wish you good luck with building! :thumbup:

14 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

I have some ideas to make the difference more noticeable and give it my owns swing

You can use yellow and black color combo with a smidge of LBG and DBG, like you did in all of your great machines. I think that is your signature style.

I made a mini video on the progress:

I'm quite pleased so far!

This thing is very heavy, and I'm truly surprised at the speed it change direction given the amount of mass in motion here!
I did find out the hard way there's a lot of strain on certain gears:wacko:

wN9Z1zLt.jpg

Those places have since been fitted with stronger gears.

The overal speed is okay as is, but these battery packs are quite empty so I imagine it will pick up even more speed! :grin:

Ow, and I also added lights:wink:
The crocked part on the underside of the bench is a wire management fault that has since been fixed :wink: 
8crAZROm.jpg

Next up is motorizing and reinforcing the outer ring

20 hours ago, pagicence said:

You can use yellow and black color combo with a smidge of LBG and DBG, like you did in all of your great machines. I think that is your signature style.

Yes it is, BLACK, YELLOW, LIGHT GREY, DARK GRAY and a boatload of motor's and SBricks! :grin: In THIS VIDEO I explain why that is if you're interested.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:09 AM, The_Icestorm said:

I like the inner passenger seats! I guess we will have to see how different our builds are at the end, I wish you good luck with building! :thumbup:

thanks!, you too! Lets just go wild and have fun! :classic:

UPDATE!

Man this thing is BIG!

All rings are working perfectly!

I'm quite pleased at how ridged they turned out! It had to be because the bench is very complex and densely engineered making it quite heavy.
It took a while to figure out how to properly drive this thing fast enough without causing to much strain on the gears.
It turns out I just needed to add more motors, luckily adding motors is my specialty:tongue:.

Basically all spinning parts are done now, maybe just some tweaking.
Next up is strengthening the main structure.

So smooth... but your main towers are indeed struggling a bit with the forces... Looks like this competition will spawn some really big creations.

UPDATE:

I've not been building all that actively but here's what I've done:

I've build a staircase and a motorized platform/walkway to get on the ride.
It took me quite a while to get it to this point because I first tried it 4 other ways that ultimately proved to be impossible due to the sheer size and weight of this MOC.

D7QKFSfl.jpg

3JI58MZl.jpg

lFosZBCl.jpg

On both sides of the ride there's a walkway that folds up to let people enter the ride and once they're secured the walkway folds down and the small ramp folds up.

Next is finalizing the platform and ramp then the reenforcing of the other tower.

Edited by shadow_elenter

IT'S DONE!

I ended up using 9 motors to power just the spinning parts because it's so damn big, and gearing it down would make it to slow to be fun.
I enden up using 5 battery boxes because it's quite power hungry, 4 of which serve as counterweights to keep it stable.
In total I used:

14 motors:

5X PF-XLmotors
6x PF-L motor 
1x PF-M motor 
1x PF-servo motor
1x 9v micro motor
4x PF-lights
5x SBrick's
5x PF battery boxes

The way passengers enter the real ride is racically different because this build reaches the limits of how strong, big and heavy you can build with LEGO technic.
Originally I had the same setup as the real ride with the folding pilars, but that had just to much flex in the joint.
If I reversed the rings spinning direction the thing would wobble like crazy.

2O2Udzs.jpg

PIjhtn8.jpg

The outer ring is powered by 4 PF-L motors connected with 4 bevel gears to the gear ring on the turntables.
The mid-ring is powerd by 4 PF-XL motors via 2 axis that run inside the outer ring so that both turntables of the second ring get powered.
The Passenger bench is a stand-alone system, It has its own battery pack and SBrick, it also has 2 motors.
One PF-L motor is used to spin the bench from the inside out, and one PF-M motor is used to open and close the safety bars.
Next to that I managed to cramp in 4 PF-lights! (cable management was quite a lot of work).

og2KojL.jpg

But it was SOOOO worth it!
It looks amazing in the dark!!!
HHhyha1.gif

The big ramps are lifted by a single PF-XL motor connected to 4 wormwheel transmissions and move in sync as one.

AMs6EZ9.jpg

The smaller ramps ar also synced and move via 2 lineair acuators powerd by one PF-L motor.

The gate is powered by a servo motor and has sord of a dual function. 
When it closes off access to new passengers it is open to let current passengers exit through the one-way gate.

The 3D sign is powered by an oldschool 9V micromotor, just to give it that final touch!

Z9VkVr9.jpg

Everything is controlled with a custom SBrick profile. 

dzgEeCll.jpg

The large sliders give the operator very acurate control over the rings, so the speed and intensity of the ride is up to the operator.
He can also revers the rings at any time, this can be used to make more interesting motions than just spinning.

1VfUzcKm.jpg

Edited by shadow_elenter

ok.. that is pretty awesome!

excellent build, and very slick presentation!

the only thing it's missing is Lego vomit on the ground!! :D

Impressive build.  Great attention to detail and well executed.  Second the comment re slick presentation.  

This is a real contender.

First thing I needed a bucket!! After I could really check out your build. Quite an extraordinarily awesome build...works really well!!

13 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

ok.. that is pretty awesome!

excellent build, and very slick presentation!

the only thing it's missing is Lego vomit on the ground!! :D

:iamded_lol::rofl::roflmao: That's exacly what came to my mind. 

Well done on the fantastic performance for such a huge build.

Amazing! Man ... I’m a big fan of your creations! I’m also impressed by the performance of the thing. At the same time your signature colours and attention to detail (I particularly like the animated 3D sign) are the icing on the cake ...

Wow. This is perfect. the level of attention right down to the rocking sign and one way gate. Hats off to you, I love it.

Amazing creation, bravo!

Question: how do you do to stop the rotation exactely at the starting point? Are you using any specific mechanism for this of is it just question of stopping the roation at the good time?

This looks absolutely amazing! :wub::wub::wub: All the details, from the sign right down to the entrance booth person, and it functions beautifully!

Great work!

The main thing which got me, watching the video and the speed, was that that thing must have a fair amount of torque going on. Then looking through the thread and the broken gears, it seems it does!

Anyway, love the details and love the fact that it is robust and moves at the kinda speeds you expect!