WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71022 LEGO Minifigures - Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Series 1

71022 LEGO Minifigures - Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Series 1  

177 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Series?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding
  2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Series?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it
  4. 4. Will you like to see traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series?

• 1 - Yes, I prefer the traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 2 - No, I prefer licensed LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 3 - No, I prefer singular theme on LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series

Back when Harry Potter sets started, I was an avid collector, and bought almost all of the sets, many of them in multiples. Thus I have hundreds of minifigs from the Harry Potter Universe.

Which means, that I will skip this minifig series - a first to me, as I have 3.700 minifigs from the first 25 series.

But this series just leaves me cold - there are hardly any figs I want to have.

I did buy 10 random bags, just to see what this series was like, but that will be it.

I SOOOOO much wait to see another normal, non-themed, non-licensed set!!!! Last one was series 17 in May 2017....

White Fang, I dont know what I would do without your reviews - they are simply the golden standard of reviews!

On 8/3/2018 at 3:55 AM, kasmca said:

Anyone else have problems with the clutch strength of Crookshanks (Hermione's Cat).  Mine is horrible and slowly pops off when connecting to studs.  Not a problem at all from Mrs Scratchen-Post's cat from The Lego Movie minifigs.

Mine doesn't even do it slowly. It just pops right off when I try to put its front legs onto the stud. Solved this problem by using the back legs instead though.

2 hours ago, ArneNielsen said:

Back when Harry Potter sets started, I was an avid collector, and bought almost all of the sets, many of them in multiples. Thus I have hundreds of minifigs from the Harry Potter Universe.

Which means, that I will skip this minifig series - a first to me, as I have 3.700 minifigs from the first 25 series.

But this series just leaves me cold - there are hardly any figs I want to have.

I did buy 10 random bags, just to see what this series was like, but that will be it.

I SOOOOO much wait to see another normal, non-themed, non-licensed set!!!! Last one was series 17 in May 2017....

White Fang, I dont know what I would do without your reviews - they are simply the golden standard of reviews!

I have a few of the older sets, but the minifigs in this series is a huge step up in detail. Now I have them in hand I am even more impressed with them :sweet:
At least we can agree on White Fang reviews and the return of the normal CMF :wink:

I finally got my box and as usual I feel the packs and identify them before opening them. Series 18 was probably the easiest series so far, this one was really hard, but practice makes perfect :classic:

Why - *WHY* - is Cho Chang the same skin color as Dean Thomas? Cho is east-Asian - her first name is Sinitic or Korean, and her last name is solidly Chinese. She is never - ever - implied or portrayed as anything other than of eastern Asian descent; not in the books, not in the movies. And yet, Lego has made her... black... or, I guess, possibly Indian or Pakistani. And before someone screams "oh, it's racist to mention it" - no, it's not. But it IS racist of Lego to take a character that is Asian and turn them into some race that they are not; it is extremely racist of Lego to say "well, this character isn't white... so she's BROWN." That's insanity. 

I saw her minifigure and my mouth fell open. Our first - and possibly only - Cho, and she's the 21st century embodiment of Danish bigotry.

Edited by ProvenceTristram

Cho Chang is a difficult one in my mind, because I don't think any of the 3 skin tone options works for her. Her skin tone is warmer than Luna's or Harry's, but it's nothing like Dean's.

In the past, Lego has used the Light Flesh for licensed Asian characters, so I don't think this was a case of racism necessarily. Honestly, if I had to guess, I think the designer didn't want her to turn out looking like a generic white student and chose to go tanner in an effort to make her look more distinct. Plus due to the lighting and color processing of the movie, Cho's skin tone bounces back in forth in the color spectrum. So, more of poor artistic judgement over racism I'd suspect.

At the end of the day, there just needs to be more flesh tones in the Lego palette. Because literally everyone who's skin tone falls outside of the is pretty much screwed. Now I realize that Lego can't represent every skin tone out there, but they could throw in a couple more. I think a skin tone between light flesh and medium flesh is needed and I wouldn't mind having a lighter flesh tone considering how pale many of these Harry Potter characters are.

2 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

Why - *WHY* - is Cho Chang the same skin color as Dean Thomas? Cho is east-Asian - her first name is Sinitic or Korean, and her last name is solidly Chinese. She is never - ever - implied or portrayed as anything other than of eastern Asian descent; not in the books, not in the movies. And yet, Lego has made her... black... or, I guess, possibly Indian or Pakistani. And before someone screams "oh, it's racist to mention it" - no, it's not. But it IS racist of Lego to take a character that is Asian and turn them into some race that they are not; it is extremely racist of Lego to say "well, this character isn't white... so she's BROWN." That's insanity. 

I saw her minifigure and my mouth fell open. Our first - and possibly only - Cho, and she's the 21st century embodiment of Danish bigotry.

Ease up on the dramatics, a bit much to point that finger at LEGO...especially when we don’t know the reason why they used the color they did. It definitely is an odd choice & quite the bummer since it’s both her first appearance & Ravenclaw torso.

They should made her classic yellow like Wong and had the whole community rage.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:36 PM, ProvenceTristram said:

I definitely do not look at the Cho Chang minifigure and think she looks black. There's more to a person's appearance than skin color.

As an East Asian - I couldn't care less what color they use to represent East Asians.

If it helps you, imagine she just got back from holiday somewhere warm and sunny! :laugh: