WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71022 LEGO Minifigures - Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Series 1

71022 LEGO Minifigures - Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Series 1  

177 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Series?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding
  2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Series?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it
  4. 4. Will you like to see traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series?

• 1 - Yes, I prefer the traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 2 - No, I prefer licensed LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 3 - No, I prefer singular theme on LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series

Love this series, but I must admit Draco Malfoy is the weakest of the bunch. He can't even properly be army built because they gave him a short cape..And his most exclusive piece is just a recolored broom..

3 hours ago, Tom Bombadil said:

I dislike the fact the TLG is creating a shortage for collectors by having only 1 Percival Graves per box.  What do they hope to achieve by creating rarity?....

Profit.

@WhiteFang Amazing review, as always, now with extra work, as it includes 22 minifigures. When a CMF series is going to be on sale, I am always looking forward to Reading your review.

Just one question I have: Why did not you make a review about Unikitty's CMF series?? I was entering everyday to read it. I know that it cannot be catalogued as a usual minifigure, but... The bags are similar, the same idea is used, they are pieces but they represent some characters with personality (and personality of Unikitty is extraordinary!!). Furthermore, it was considered a carácter in the LEGO Movie and for Bricklink, the place where most of us by extrapieces, also considers it as a Minifigure. If want, do not consider it as a minifigure, but, please, make a review about it. I would really appreciate it. Due to you reviews, I started collecting all the minifigures in each series (before I only bought the ones I wanted), and till now, I have all the series completed, and I am going to buy also the one of Unikitty!!

In any case, thanks for all the reviews. I am so used to them that I can only say that I love them. Thanks again.

I think my expectations from the rumour that this series would have 3xHP and 2xFB Figures (16x3 + 6x2 = 60) has coloured the way I've seen the final messy breakdown of figures. It seemed such a perfect breakdown, as many collectors may only be interested in the older film series, we could have two complete sets plus a third complete Harry Potter series to round it out. The distaste of the cash-grab evident from the final box breakdown has almost put me buying off any of this series, where as before I was certain I'd buy a full box of 60 without question - giving one set to my niece, one to my son and finding a friend who is a HP fan for the leftovers. It just seems wasteful now to buy a box of 60. I hope this backfires and dissuades LEGO from doing this in the future.

The Hogwarts Express carriage you use in the photo with Ron Weasley- Is that a modified version of the new set? Cheers

I have never bought an entire CMF set. I buy the ones I like only.

This chase minifig gimmick ... on the bright side ... seems to make other minifigs cheaper on ebay or ecommerce sites ... if you prefer to buy individual minifigs like me.

People tend to buy the whole box for that rare minifig either for themselves or to make a quick buck. Left with tons of extras. And give it some time, they'll be offloading the common ones at dirt cheap prices. In fact from where I'm at, sellers were listing CMF18 minifigs so quick and cheap, just days after launch. I just pray the chase minifigs ... now and in the future ... aren't the ones on my buy list.

What a wonderful and in-depth review this once more is! :wub:

Especially when it comes to the history of the figures in the movies, you almost covered everything.
I still enjoy looking at the crisp and clear photos, they are a class of it's own! From time to time they would have benefitted from a darker background though. :wink:

For the series itself it's an easy pass for me.
On the one hand I'm not willing to spend 4€ on one minifig, if it's not something special. As much as I would like to get my hands on the new briefcase or the new animals I am not spending this amount of money for them. :hmpf_bad:

On the other hand I do like the quality of the printings, but then again I already have some HP minifigures and surely don't need the x-th rendition of Harry or Dumbledore.

Compared to the last collectible minifigure series, it looses creativity-wise and parts-wise.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but I believe the CMF Dobby in this series is the first minifigure to have dual-molded short legs divided into two parts instead of three (tan upper, flesh-colored lower, unlike previous short legs which had a differing color injected as a "band" in the middle). So, this most likely means we'll see some stouter minifigures in the future with proper boots. :classic:

By the way @WhiteFang, do you have any sort of Robin figure on hand? I was wondering if you could apply the unprinted Black mid-sized legs from Neville and Cho onto one, primarily the Daiman variant from both 76013 and 76056. 

Thanks guys for your comments and thoughts! It's great to see you being excited of this upcoming series. :wub: 

On 7/10/2018 at 8:11 PM, Tom Bombadil said:

I dislike the fact the TLG is creating a shortage for collectors by having only 1 Percival Graves per box.  What do they hope to achieve by creating rarity?  Also, the skin tone of Cho Chang is incorrect.

These aside, I appreciate the comparison of previous generations for HP minifigs vs current generation of HP minifigs.  The presence of Diagon Alley is a nice touch too.

The distribution ratio of making Percival Graves in just one per box is a result of creating an artificial shortage in view of actual demand. Brilliant marketing strategy from revenue's perspective. Great to know that you love the past and present comparison and unfortunate that Cho Chang's skin complexion was captured wrongly. 

22 hours ago, vinagre said:

Do we know the actual position in the box of the exclusive minifigure? If I remember right on CFM 18 was always the same spot for the police....

No, I don't recall or record the positioning of the 'exclusive' minifigure. I really don't think it will be that accurate, to be honest in all sealed boxes. 

21 hours ago, Ultron said:

Love this series, but I must admit Draco Malfoy is the weakest of the bunch. He can't even properly be army built because they gave him a short cape..And his most exclusive piece is just a recolored broom..

I am surprise that you even thought of army building any characters? I don't think there's a specific need for army building unless you referring to mass gathering of parts for specific minifigures. 

15 hours ago, Herisanmi said:

Just one question I have: Why did not you make a review about Unikitty's CMF series?? I was entering everyday to read it. I know that it cannot be catalogued as a usual minifigure, but... The bags are similar, the same idea is used, they are pieces but they represent some characters with personality (and personality of Unikitty is extraordinary!!). Furthermore, it was considered a carácter in the LEGO Movie and for Bricklink, the place where most of us by extrapieces, also considers it as a Minifigure. If want, do not consider it as a minifigure, but, please, make a review about it. I would really appreciate it. Due to you reviews, I started collecting all the minifigures in each series (before I only bought the ones I wanted), and till now, I have all the series completed, and I am going to buy also the one of Unikitty!!

Thanks Herisanmi. I am planning to make an Unikitty review but I haven't actually bought any Unikitty stuff or sealed box yet. I am trying to work out something and I will hope for the best to make this as a priority for reviewing as part of my personal reviewing experience. There were a strong interest of Unikitty fans where it was first sighted in Billund when we were there earlier in end May. 

15 hours ago, Graupensuppe said:

So Dumbledore does not have an alternate face without the spectacles?

Unfortunately, there's no alternate facial expressions and these are only restricted to a handful of them. 

9 hours ago, bigginsd said:

I think my expectations from the rumour that this series would have 3xHP and 2xFB Figures (16x3 + 6x2 = 60) has coloured the way I've seen the final messy breakdown of figures. It seemed such a perfect breakdown, as many collectors may only be interested in the older film series, we could have two complete sets plus a third complete Harry Potter series to round it out. The distaste of the cash-grab evident from the final box breakdown has almost put me buying off any of this series, where as before I was certain I'd buy a full box of 60 without question - giving one set to my niece, one to my son and finding a friend who is a HP fan for the leftovers. It just seems wasteful now to buy a box of 60. I hope this backfires and dissuades LEGO from doing this in the future.

An illusion of presenting the sealed box distribution is "Hey I have 2 complete sets of 16 Harry Potter Universe minifigures and 1 complete set of Fantastic Beasts minifigures. What a wonderful surprise". Punt intended. 

7 hours ago, lostdriveway said:

The Hogwarts Express carriage you use in the photo with Ron Weasley- Is that a modified version of the new set? Cheers

The Hogwarts Express is an original set which was released in 2010. You can find a review of 4841 Hogwarts Express which was one of my early reviewing work for reading pleasure. 

6 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

Damn it why the hell is graves so rare?

It's a secret bonus character. 

2 hours ago, Holodoc said:

What a wonderful and in-depth review this once more is! :wub:

Especially when it comes to the history of the figures in the movies, you almost covered everything.
I still enjoy looking at the crisp and clear photos, they are a class of it's own! From time to time they would have benefitted from a darker background though. :wink:

For the series itself it's an easy pass for me.
On the one hand I'm not willing to spend 4€ on one minifig, if it's not something special. As much as I would like to get my hands on the new briefcase or the new animals I am not spending this amount of money for them. :hmpf_bad:

On the other hand I do like the quality of the printings, but then again I already have some HP minifigures and surely don't need the x-th rendition of Harry or Dumbledore.

Compared to the last collectible minifigure series, it looses creativity-wise and parts-wise.

Thanks Holodoc. Glad you enjoyed this review! I will seriously consider your feedback on the lighting and let me think of how I can implement it. I understand you are not keen to spend that much amount of money for a minifigure but considering this is an licensed premium minifigure. You might want to reconsider getting those that of significant interest to your priceless collection. Don't have to buy them all but buy what you really need. 

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but I believe the CMF Dobby in this series is the first minifigure to have dual-molded short legs divided into two parts instead of three (tan upper, flesh-colored lower, unlike previous short legs which had a differing color injected as a "band" in the middle). So, this most likely means we'll see some stouter minifigures in the future with proper boots. :classic:

By the way @WhiteFang, do you have any sort of Robin figure on hand? I was wondering if you could apply the unprinted Black mid-sized legs from Neville and Cho onto one, primarily the Daiman variant from both 76013 and 76056. 

Interesting point on Dobby's short legs. Sorry that I am unable to fulfill your request as both of that sets are currently still in their boxes and I don't have that character lying around in my collection where I can just take it for photo shooting. 

Thanks for another great review! I have all CMFs except Mr. Gold and two Batman series.

I hate this distribution. It means I may need to pay $20 more for a complete set. I don't have time to feel and pick Percival in a store. As a both CMF and HP collector, I thought about buying two sets earlier. Now I think I won't. 

Edited by nana

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

It was mentioned a couple of weeks ago, but I don't think anyone really showed much interest at the time...

The downside is that Harry's (similar) short legs are printed with his bare feet - showing that they are just as likely to keep printing them for "shoes" (here feet) which doesn't look as good as they don't print the top of the foot (or the inside).

These are great, thanks for the review! Now we just have to wait for more sets to come out... and then we can populate them! though, I think that they could/should have included some more teachers. Mcgonagall, Snape, Pomfrey... and some more Weasleys, maybe as well as a generic death eater?

ah, well. We'll have to make do. 

12 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

I am surprise that you even thought of army building any characters? I don't think there's a specific need for army building unless you referring to mass gathering of parts for specific minifigures. 

Well it’s more that there’s an inherent army building quality to Quidditch uniforms as there are seven players on each team and I dont have seven Slytherin members. But Lego made it more difficult by giving this Draco a short cape. Just hoping Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff players come soon.. *cough* battle pack *cough*

That means with moulded shirt legs with bare feet of they do it in the right colors we can have proper hobbit feet.

3 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

That means with moulded shirt legs with bare feet of they do it in the right colors we can have proper hobbit feet.

I would say proper dwarf feet, because hobbits are shorter than dwarves. So we finally can have all 3 kinds of legs for hobbits (short), dwarves (medium) and humans/elves/etc. (standard).

http://static.alfabetajuega.com/abj_public_files/multimedia/imagenes/201303/35035.infografia_hobbit_recorte.jpg

Edited by Mr. Cube

Thanks for the review Whitefang, excellent job as always!

This is by far my favourite CMF series ever. I'm not a die-hard Harry Potter fan even though I did enjoy most of the movies, but I think they did an outstanding job on these figures.

The distribution is a letdown after the initial rumours of 3 complete HP sets + 2 complete FB sets, but at this point complaining about CMF distribution is probably as futile as complaining about stickers. :laugh:

On 7/10/2018 at 8:11 AM, Tom Bombadil said:

I dislike the fact the TLG is creating a shortage for collectors by having only 1 Percival Graves per box.  What do they hope to achieve by creating rarity? 

Artificial rarity is my single biggest grip with Lego. It's just awful and a really deplorable practice. If they're going to do figures that apeal to collectors that's great, but then don't turn around and #$^# them with shortages.

14 hours ago, Mr. Cube said:

I would say proper dwarf feet, because hobbits are shorter than dwarves. So we finally can have all 3 kinds of legs for hobbits (short), dwarves (medium) and humans/elves/etc. (standard).

http://static.alfabetajuega.com/abj_public_files/multimedia/imagenes/201303/35035.infografia_hobbit_recorte.jpg

Right, Hobbits are shorter, but they typically are barefoot. So if they do brown pant short legs with flesh feet, that would work perfect for them. Then do the mid legs in browns and blacks with some armor printing for the Dwarfs. I was talking about the pajama Harry since those look like the short legs with barefeet, not the new mid-leg. Either way, we are on the same page.

Looks like a good and solid series. I wish I liked Harry Potter more. The main reason these are tempting are the medium legs and some of the animals for me (why don't they make a snake that can go on studs?). I might have to get some of the main characters but my liking of Harry Potter is limited (like the movies, don't love them or anything, read only the first book).

In terms of quality, I don't think any series has reached the quality of the Batman Movie minifigures but these are more than good enough.

17 hours ago, Gomek said:

Artificial rarity is my single biggest grip with Lego. It's just awful and a really deplorable practice. If they're going to do figures that apeal to collectors that's great, but then don't turn around and #$^# them with shortages.

They also appeal to kids, not just collectors, and many kids will want the core HP characters.

Awesome review as always.. And I noticed that on the printing on Harry's cloak of invisibility it actually has the symbol for Rassilon from Doctor Who. :D

Its the Time Lords symbol.

rassilon.jpg.66250780dfd25adfd9376b92d82c0fa2.jpg

Edited by dyntar
added image

3 hours ago, dyntar said:

Awesome review as always.. And I noticed that on the printing on Harry's cloak of invisibility it actually has the symbol for Rassilon from Doctor Who. :D

Its the Time Lords symbol.

rassilon.jpg.66250780dfd25adfd9376b92d82c0fa2.jpg

That’s so weird, the seal of rassilon is surely copyrighted to the BBC, they’ve been using it in the show since 1975...