WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71022 LEGO Minifigures - Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Series 1

71022 LEGO Minifigures - Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Series 1  

177 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Series?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding
  2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Series?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it
  4. 4. Will you like to see traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series?

• 1 - Yes, I prefer the traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 2 - No, I prefer licensed LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 3 - No, I prefer singular theme on LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series

Great review, as always! I totally forgot to check it found only now.

Is there a black wand on the picture with the different colors of the wands? It looks two set of dark brown.

If one of them is black, who has a black wand?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments. It was enjoyable reading your posts. :sweet: 

On 7/11/2018 at 10:26 PM, nana said:

Thanks for another great review! I have all CMFs except Mr. Gold and two Batman series.

I hate this distribution. It means I may need to pay $20 more for a complete set. I don't have time to feel and pick Percival in a store. As a both CMF and HP collector, I thought about buying two sets earlier. Now I think I won't. 

Why don't you get the Batman CMFs too? Or you aren't into Batman? Unfortunately, many of u doesn't have a chance to get Percival Grave in the wild unless you happen to encounter a sealed box which is about to await its opening. 

On 7/12/2018 at 1:08 AM, koalayummies said:

"I was a great success!"

Yes, indeed a marketing success from a revenue perspective. 

On 7/12/2018 at 5:44 AM, meepinater said:

These are great, thanks for the review! Now we just have to wait for more sets to come out... and then we can populate them! though, I think that they could/should have included some more teachers. Mcgonagall, Snape, Pomfrey... and some more Weasleys, maybe as well as a generic death eater?

ah, well. We'll have to make do. 

Likewise, I am hoping there will be a Series 2 which will include other Professors of Hogwarts. It will be awesome and is something I hope it will extend beyond the first series. 

On 7/12/2018 at 9:23 AM, Ultron said:

Well it’s more that there’s an inherent army building quality to Quidditch uniforms as there are seven players on each team and I dont have seven Slytherin members. But Lego made it more difficult by giving this Draco a short cape. Just hoping Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff players come soon.. *cough* battle pack *cough*

Now, I understand what you meant. However, the 4737 Quidditch Match and 75956 Quidditch Match are the closest 'battle packs' which you can ever have. 

On 7/12/2018 at 8:27 PM, LegoFjotten said:

Thanks for the review Whitefang, excellent job as always!

This is by far my favourite CMF series ever. I'm not a die-hard Harry Potter fan even though I did enjoy most of the movies, but I think they did an outstanding job on these figures.

The distribution is a letdown after the initial rumours of 3 complete HP sets + 2 complete FB sets, but at this point complaining about CMF distribution is probably as futile as complaining about stickers. :laugh:

Thanks! Unfortunately, that's my single biggest complaint. 

On 7/12/2018 at 10:59 PM, Gomek said:

Artificial rarity is my single biggest grip with Lego. It's just awful and a really deplorable practice. If they're going to do figures that apeal to collectors that's great, but then don't turn around and #$^# them with shortages.

Same sentiments. 

On 7/13/2018 at 5:38 AM, BrickG said:

Looks like a good and solid series. I wish I liked Harry Potter more. The main reason these are tempting are the medium legs and some of the animals for me (why don't they make a snake that can go on studs?). I might have to get some of the main characters but my liking of Harry Potter is limited (like the movies, don't love them or anything, read only the first book).

It could be perfect for Nagini to be able to stay on stud. I suppose to make Nagini look realistic like a python size. The depth of the whole body could be better with its wider and thicker appearance. 

On 7/13/2018 at 11:23 PM, dyntar said:

Awesome review as always.. And I noticed that on the printing on Harry's cloak of invisibility it actually has the symbol for Rassilon from Doctor Who. :D

Its the Time Lords symbol.

Interesting. I really don't think they had used a Doctor Who license. Could it be a coincidence in terms of reference material? 

1 hour ago, Yooha said:

Great review, as always! I totally forgot to check it found only now.

Is there a black wand on the picture with the different colors of the wands? It looks two set of dark brown.

If one of them is black, who has a black wand?

Yes, Queenie Goldstein is the only minifigure to wield the black wand. There are 6 different kinds of coloured wands in the series. 

Articulated medium short legs have been released by clone brands years ago. The Chinese brand SY already had one in 2014, possibly earlier. Dunno why it took so long for Lego to come up with something equivalent.

Edited by Oederland

I wish they had used the new scarf piece from Ninjago movie for Dean's griffindor scarf instead of printing it . The scarf is pretty iconic and it would have been nice to put it onto Harry or other characters. It's disappointing when there is printing for a detail that could have easily been represented with an existing mold.

I also might be the only one who's not a fan of the medium legs? I feel like they just make the figure look more awkward rather than smaller. I'll probably replace all the solid colored ones, like Luna and Cho, but the printed ones on the flagship figs is kinda annoying. 

I'm more upset about trelawny and luna being two per box than grindelwald being 1 per box. Johnny Depp looks awful as the character anyway lol.

Also don't like the new Nagini! It would have been excellent if it was actually in system, really disappointed that the curls don't have anti studs underneath. I'd rather have a stylized Nagini that fits than a hyper realistic one that feels like a normal non lego plastic snake bc I could always just use a non lego plastic snake for Nagini.

Even with these complaints, though this is probably the best thing to come out of the new Harry Potter revival. I love the brickheads but I think most of the sets don't offer much aside from a couple of improved figures and the 2010 line was much more exciting. But these figs are excellent! Definitely my favorite line of minifigures, possibly excepting the all Halloween series. I'll be trying to pick up everyone! (except Graves and Creedence, ugh)

Edited by Nick Wolfe

After going through 3 cases and hearing about other's the position of Graves "seems" to be consistent with the batch (119B8) we have from a local retailer.

Left row, second from last. Good luck :sweet:

18 hours ago, winbrant said:

After going through 3 cases and hearing about other's the position of Graves "seems" to be consistent with the batch (119B8) we have from a local retailer.

Left row, second from last. Good luck :sweet:

Answered the very question I was going to ask! Do we know if the other figs have the same placement? I saw an un-boxing video that had Mad-Eye as the first on the right row for example.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:34 AM, WhiteFang said:

Why don't you get the Batman CMFs too? Or you aren't into Batman? 

This CMF collecting becomes too overwhelming to me. I have the Lego Team GB Olympics, German Soccer Team, and two series of Simpsons that I don't really like at all. I bought them just because they are part of CMF collection. So I told myself I need to focus on the traditional series and only buy other series if I am really interested in. 

Hi and thanks for your review. 

Did you notice any issues with paint on the minifgures' faces? One of my Hermione's face prints wiped off almost completely just with the touch of my thumb. I keep being worried that it might a full-line issue, but hopefully it was just an issue with the one figure. 

I've got a full box on the way, but took a quick trip to a local shop mostly to see if I could score an extra Percival Graves fig. Found him, and a couple of Credence figs, but not Trelawney or Luna which I was also looking for. I'm not that skilled at feeling the packets since I usually just get a full box.

Anyway, my question is this; While feeling the packs I come across some figs which had soft parts - which figs could that be? Felt like it could be either hair pieces or animals.

20 minutes ago, LegoFjotten said:

I've got a full box on the way, but took a quick trip to a local shop mostly to see if I could score an extra Percival Graves fig. Found him, and a couple of Credence figs, but not Trelawney or Luna which I was also looking for. I'm not that skilled at feeling the packets since I usually just get a full box.

Anyway, my question is this; While feeling the packs I come across some figs which had soft parts - which figs could that be? Felt like it could be either hair pieces or animals.

The Cho Chang figure has soft almost rubbery hair piece!

I've never purchased CMFs before but I was interested in the Harry Potter series.  Went down to Smyths today with a plan on paper.

Firstly the box was just dumped into a bin onto of the last series of CMFs. There were only 36 left so chances were someone had nabbed a perfect 22 already or kids grabbed a few on their way passed.

I had a 30 minute window and ate it all up feeling the bags and trying to figure out what was what.  I've never done this before and felt odd with my paper and pen in work suit while kids buzzed around wowing at this at that, chiefly the new HP set on the front of the aisle.

I bought 22 but am full sure I have a bunch of duplicates.  I felt a bit conscious standing there, a grown man shaking and feeling these little bags. In the end I had no time, 15 separated and just quickly grabbed 7 more.

There are 22 in total to collect and I have 22 bags to open.  I hope to half at least half of them so I can go to another Smyths and try again.

I'll report back with the outcome of this first batch...

Edited by shotgunmcos

Noticed this is being called 'Series 1'.   Don't see this printed anywhere on the packaging nor in press releases... Just being hopeful for future releases or is it a given another set is in the works?

3 hours ago, LegoFjotten said:

Dobby has a softer head too I think. Yet to open them though

3 hours ago, shotgunmcos said:

I bought 22 but am full sure I have a bunch of duplicates.  I felt a bit conscious standing there, a grown man shaking and feeling these little bags. In the end I had no time, 15 separated and just quickly grabbed 7 more.

There are 22 in total to collect and I have 22 bags to open.  I hope to half at least half of them so I can go to another Smyths and try again.

I'll report back with the outcome of this first batch...

Glad I wasn’t the only one at a Smyths doing this today! To be fair nobody batted an eyelid and only comments I got were “ wish I had the patience / wish I could do that “ kind of thing.  The manager came over after I had been there for an hour and asked if I wanted a chair and an uonpened box to find the rest!  I thanked her for the extremely kind offer but I had already found Percival and only needed a couple more so said I’d be fine. She said well just let me know if you change your mind. Anyways 15 mins later had my full 22 paid and said thank you once again for being so accommodating. 

Trusty fingers served me well and I had all 22 no duplicates hoorah!

TL/DR: @ Smyths, Don’t worry too much they are used to it. And ask politely if you can look through an unopened box :)

@Brickbashbosh thanks for the tip

Out of the 22 I got 18. Happy with my first attempt. Missing both Harrys, Tiny Goldstein and Percival. 

Picked up the ones I wanted today. Loving the accessories in this series like the megaphone for Professor Flitwick (perfect for my film director), the teacup for Professor Trelawney, the pastry for Queenie Goldstein and the new briefcase piece. Also loving the magic wands (although I wish they came in tan)

3 hours ago, jonwil said:

Picked up the ones I wanted today. Loving the accessories in this series like the megaphone for Professor Flitwick (perfect for my film director), the teacup for Professor Trelawney, the pastry for Queenie Goldstein and the new briefcase piece. Also loving the magic wands (although I wish they came in tan)

I'm hoping that the upcoming set with Ollivander rounds out the existing wands with a few more colors like medium dark flesh, light tan, and maybe dark red. 

23 hours ago, Megaflora said:

I'm hoping that the upcoming set with Ollivander rounds out the existing wands with a few more colors like medium dark flesh, light tan, and maybe dark red. 

MDF, tan, light bley and dark bley are probably the most likely colours I think, I hadn't even thought of dark red! Maybe flesh too? 

Edited by Seaber

Anyone else have problems with the clutch strength of Crookshanks (Hermione's Cat).  Mine is horrible and slowly pops off when connecting to studs.  Not a problem at all from Mrs Scratchen-Post's cat from The Lego Movie minifigs.

18 minutes ago, kasmca said:

Anyone else have problems with the clutch strength of Crookshanks (Hermione's Cat).  Mine is horrible and slowly pops off when connecting to studs.  Not a problem at all from Mrs Scratchen-Post's cat from The Lego Movie minifigs.

One of my Crookshanks is like that as well. 

2 hours ago, kasmca said:

Yep. Same

On 8/2/2018 at 12:23 PM, Seaber said:

MDF, tan, light bley and dark bley are probably the most likely colours I think, I hadn't even thought of dark red! Maybe flesh too? 

Looking at some of the movie props, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley's could be potentially be MDF (if not dark orange like Newt's), Lucious' looks closest to tan, and dark bley could work for Sirus.

On 8/2/2018 at 12:55 PM, kasmca said:

Mine is good, just checked it’s clutch to another cat I got last year.