Hi,

I'd like to present to you my latest commissioned MOC, the Ferrari Testarossa:

28401477847_26cb75cc18_b.jpg

This car is something special for me for two reasons. First of all this is one of the first supercars that I remember seeing as a kid. It made a lasting impression to me. Secondly because this car has been fighting me during almost the entire design process. I never struggled this much with the design of a LEGO model. The start was promising, designing the rear suspension and 5+R manual gearbox went smooth, but after that smooth start things just never seemed to work out.

For the doors I quickly decided I wanted to use the long Ninjago blades for the side fins:

29400984728_33f7e9780f_b.jpg

But then I made the doors too long, then too short and don't get me started on the top part of the door. I must have made at least twenty different designs to try to capture the lines of the real car. This is the best I could come up with without completely resorting to systembricks

On the positive side, the chairs went really smooth. Normally chairs are my pain in the megablocks, but this time they came together in a jiff. They are adjustable and I used the axles of the gearbox as guides for the chair. This way I could keep the interior really flat & low.

42367059095_e85df7ce20_b.jpg

I am also quite pleased with the popup headlights even though the mechanism to operate it is not as nice as the one I used in the Ferrari 308:

28401477937_0b9a939fae_b.jpg

If you look closely you can see there is a small curve in the hood. The three panels are held together with two elastic bands at the other side. I use pins-with-axle-without-friction between the panels to create enough slack to get a slight angle between the panels.

Before I forget, the list with features:

– Independent suspension on all wheels
– Steering with Ackerman geometry and working steeringwheel
– pop-up headlights with a
– 5+R manual gearbox
– Flat V12 fake engine
– openable hood, doors, trunk
– adjsutable seats
– detailed engine bay & interior (with working glovebox :tongue:)

42552334094_982379ab31_c.jpg

As always, comments, questions and constructive criticism are highly welcomed

Leg godt,

Jeroen

Excellent replica! Nice trick with the frictionless pins to make the panels curve.

Amazing model! My only complaint is the front grille/lights. They just look kind of odd. The headlights look too bulky and the grille is too flat. I do know that curved plates don’t exist, so it’s probably the best you can do without modifying parts. 

Great all-around, but the side fins using the swords/blades are inspired!  Nice set of functional features, and a surprisingly good interior as well.  Nice build!  :classic:

Looks great with nice details and functions. Great job of part usage with the ribs in the doors/sidepods. 

One thing I personally don't like because it is quite different from the real life counterpart, is the lack of flow of the roof above the engine. It suddenly drops a full stud to the panels. Now I am sure you tried alot to sort this out like the doors, but just to make sure: flex axles above the panels wasn't an option? Or another construction to not have stuff above the panels so they could be raised a stud? 

What a brilliant, brilliant build. So much detail and I agree with deraven, those inake fins are a stroke of genius. Just WOW. I know you've encountered many problems building this but all that time, effort & frustration has really paid off. Great work.

Edited by grum64
Spelling

So many details to love: The side fins and the slight slope upwards from the doors to the rear wheel arches. That detail is spot on. Also the engine cover looks excellent from above. 

Thanks for showing it and congratulations on this model!

There is a little mystery about the car and the presentation. On the 4th photo, there is a displaced blue pin in the hood. It leads to a conclusion that the first photo is mirrored, which can be confirmed by the orientation of the Ferrari logo. So why is it mirrored? :laugh: 

You caught the essence of Testarossa and that was the point. Engine + transmission are again big plus to this moc :thumbup::wub:

I tried to build it years ago in fact it was my first decent MOC. I don´t like mine and I think that you have done it better but I don´t like too much, I don´t know if it is the MOC or maybe I don´t like the real one :laugh: .

Out of all the models you've done recently this is by far the best in my opinion you really captured the lines of a classic car. The use of nijago blades on the really payed off and elastics on the hood though not in solid system is pretty clever. How do you operate the headlights? And will there be a video in the near future of functions? :thumbup:

Edited by DugaldIC

Saw this on Flickr earlier. Absolutely awesome model. Any minute you've spent on those doors is well spent - they look wonderful. Made me think for a little trying to understand how intake pattern was made.

Any chance of an underside picture?

Iconic car and superb job replicating it.  One area which has been pointed out is the sudden 1 stud drop from roof line to rear which would look much better if improved upon.  I :wub: it otherwise.

Too bad I can't build it.  It would look amazing next to @jorgeopesi F40.

Every time you release a new model, I'm just in awe at how clean the body lines are. It's really hard to find that nice balance between gapless building while still keeping an uncluttered look. But you absolutely nailed it.

Great Job! Looking forward to your next model :classic:

Fantastic model, you’ve captured the lines really well. It’s amazing how low and wide these are, someone at work has one as their toy. Unfortunately I don’t fit in it very well, too tall.

R U really waiting for any critics for such a work of art? Simply beautiful. 

Is this 1:12 Scale?

After done, will you return to the Liebherr project?

First of all, thank you for all the positive replies. I really appreciate this. As I wrote this car has been fighting me throughout the designprocess, so in the end I guess I could only see what was wrong with it instead of what was right with it. So thanks for pointing me to the good bits :thumbup:

On 7/8/2018 at 10:21 AM, LvdH said:

Amazing model! My only complaint is the front grille/lights. They just look kind of odd. The headlights look too bulky and the grille is too flat. I do know that curved plates don’t exist, so it’s probably the best you can do without modifying parts. 

Yep, another struggle area. At the 1:10 scale lights somehow have the tendency to need a 1.5 stud diameter or height. It always is a compromise.

On 7/8/2018 at 10:55 AM, Appie said:

Looks great with nice details and functions. Great job of part usage with the ribs in the doors/sidepods. 

One thing I personally don't like because it is quite different from the real life counterpart, is the lack of flow of the roof above the engine. It suddenly drops a full stud to the panels. Now I am sure you tried alot to sort this out like the doors, but just to make sure: flex axles above the panels wasn't an option? Or another construction to not have stuff above the panels so they could be raised a stud? 

Yep again. I must say I missed the step when refining this area. I had loads of issues with the area above the wheels (which might surprise you given the simple stacked beams that are used there now). This was mainly because I at first had placed the vertical panels at a slight angle which made the bodywork connection between the two parts even more difficult. I guess I was so happy when I finally sorted this area out that I forgot to check at the topside... I'll keep that in mind for a next Ferrari.

On 7/8/2018 at 11:02 AM, grum64 said:

What a brilliant, brilliant build. So much detail and I agree with deraven, those inake fins are a stroke of genius. Just WOW. I know you've encountered many problems building this but all that time, effort & frustration has really paid off. Great work.

:blush: too much praise really, you won't have superlatives left if I would top this one :wink:

On 7/8/2018 at 11:50 AM, sheo said:

There is a little mystery about the car and the presentation. On the 4th photo, there is a displaced blue pin in the hood. It leads to a conclusion that the first photo is mirrored, which can be confirmed by the orientation of the Ferrari logo. So why is it mirrored? :laugh: 

You got me there. I mirrored a couple of photos to make it look like a continental car (ie steering on the right) so that it feels more natural to most people. I should have known better than to try to trick you lot :blush:

On 7/8/2018 at 12:34 PM, Roman_Brovin said:

Perfectly executed, Jeroen.
But how do you switch gears and is there a HoG? The photo does not show any leverage.

Gearswitching is done with the standard red LEGO catchover between (just in front) of the seats. The steering is only operated with the steeringwheel. I actually had to use a chain to connect the steeringwheel to the steeringaxle at the gearrack.

On 7/8/2018 at 4:09 PM, DugaldIC said:

Out of all the models you've done recently this is by far the best in my opinion you really captured the lines of a classic car. The use of nijago blades on the really payed off and elastics on the hood though not in solid system is pretty clever. How do you operate the headlights? And will there be a video in the near future of functions? :thumbup:

The headlights are operated with a push/pull switch below the dashboard in front of the passenger seat. In the close-up picture of the seats you can just see a black pin-with-two-axles-perpendicular; that is the switch.
No video I'm afraid. The car is already on it's way to it's new owner.

On 7/8/2018 at 5:34 PM, zux said:

Saw this on Flickr earlier. Absolutely awesome model. Any minute you've spent on those doors is well spent - they look wonderful. Made me think for a little trying to understand how intake pattern was made.

Any chance of an underside picture?

Also no underside pictures, since the car is already shipped.

13 hours ago, Aleh said:

R U really waiting for any critics for such a work of art? Simply beautiful. 

Is this 1:12 Scale?

After done, will you return to the Liebherr project?

I always want to get critique. It always hurts after spending so much time on a design, but after that wears off I usually learn from it and can improve the next one.

No it is 1:10 scale

Yes, I finalized the carrier so making of the instructions has started. I am nearly done with designing the boom (but holidays are fast approaching), so I can testbuild that. If that turns out well it is ' just' a matter of finishing all the instructions. You will have to bear with me for a bit longer because the current partcount is around 7400 parts, so it will take some time to finish these instructions...

Once again, thank you all for all the reactions. It is very much appreciated.

Leg godt,

Jeroen