Building Lego Technic creations and posting videos is a common bussiness for every MOC designer. Coming up with small and large inventions and sharing them is a continuing activity that never bores. However, there is one common dream, one ultimate goal that every Lego enthousiast silently dreams about: to design a professional Lego model. 

Several builders do what is called 'commissioned work'. Building a Lego Technic model and selling whatever it became to a company or private party. In general, Lego Technic custom models are loved by non-Lego enthousiasts because 'it works'. Several years ago, I got the unique chance to do commissioned work because a company CEO's brother accidentially saw my scale model. I first refused to sell my beloved Luctor, but two years later the one metre model was ready I got positive reviews about the looks, but the most comments were: "wow, it really works". 

Somehow this model must have been leaked inside 'CEO-land', as one year ago I was asked by the Hoeflon company (based in the Netherlands) to build a give-away Lego Technic model, to be used as a business gift. How cool is it to not receive the 32st boring USB drive, but a complete custom Lego Technic model.. The company builds mini cranes that go inside buildings to do heavy lifting. My task was to build a scale model of a machine that is already very compact in real life. 

As a result, I present a 1:14 scale model of the Hoeflon C6 crane. (please note I'm NOT paid by Hoeflon in any way, the whole story is just about how things happened and to explain the link with reality). The crane is my smallest MOC for a long time. It was really a challenge to fit all the functions inside the cramped body. The functions are: 

1. Track widening
  2. Boom rising/lowering
  3. Boom extension
  4. Fly Jib
  5. Rotating superstructure 
  6. Friction winch
  7. Self-locking outtriggers 
  8. Variable angle outtriggers with over 90 degree range

These functions happen in a Lego Technic model of a smaller volume than the 9391 Technic crane set. Over the years I had lost some creativity to build small models so this one was a real challenge. I'm happy with the current setup but who knows.. 

hoeflonc6_small_12.jpg

The model is delivered with black or LBG tracks. LBG track links are slightly more expensive and this quickly adds up when 100+ cranes need to be made. 

hoeflonc6_small_13.jpg

To be fair, I find the looks of the 9391 stunning for the low part count. However, as I show in the video, it does not really work as a crane. The above photo shows the comparable sizes of both models. 

hoeflonc6_small_06.jpg

The front view. Please note the relative widht of the tracks: They are each 3L while the vehicle width is 7L. The resulting chassis is one stud in width! To widen the tracks, the crane has a shifting axle system with half bushes as stoppers. The final result is not the strongest system, but the crane at least has the function!

hoeflonc6_small_07.jpg

The top view shows why this crane is called the 'Spider Crane': the outtriggers can be seen as the legs. The great thing about building such small models is that every part can be seen and every part has its function. There are very few 'unused studs'. 

hoeflonc6_small_08.jpg

This crane has a 3-section boom. In transport shape, this crane is 12 cm high so all of it should be folded. Therefore it looks like a proper mess when folded in. 

hoeflonc6_small_09.jpg

It is a common known fact that Hoeflon cranes will lift their own weight, because one crane should be able to lift another crane into a cellar. Hopes were low for the scale model as it is fully made from plastic Lego pieces. Under these loads, they will simply bend. Using the correct crane position and the winch, I got one crane to lift the other - just. On this small scale, I could not use the same strong structure from the real C6, so it was a nice result that my building resulted in something with the same strenght. 

hoeflonc6_small_01.jpg

The crane in full extended mode. The shape changes dramatically when the boom is unfolded. It reaches a maximum height of 42 cm.

hoeflonc6_small_10.jpg

This model is meant as a business gift. This box was developed by a third party and it looks great. It is just big enough to contain the 425 parts and the A5-sized building instructions. 

hoeflonc6_small_02.jpg

hoeflonc6_small_03.jpg

I spent really hours drawing a 3D model and creating building instructions with lPub. By doing it yourselves, it becomes clear how much time goes into it.. The agreement with Hoeflon was: me delivering the PDF, Hoeflon doing the printing. I'm really pleased with the end result. 

To conclude, this MOC shows that you don't need a lot of parts to build a fun Technic model. I have many parts now compared to five years ago, but all of it is useless when someone knocks on the door to ask for a small scale model. This model also shows the problem of modern Technic sets from the store shelves. They are built large, very large. The 8265 Wheel loader is an example. It is enormous, while having less functions than this small crane that will fit into its bucket. Now the size may speak to the inner desire of the (hu)man to posess big things, but personally I like finesse and elegance over size. It is my big hope that TLG sees this in time, otherwise the awesomeness of new Lego Technic sets will fade away.

The video

Edited by 896gerard
removed typos

Great work on getting so many functions in such a compact package. It's always nice to see an interesting subject for a model.

Did your instructions show how to operate the functions?

What a great project! Everything about it is well executed: functions, looks, instructions, packaging, video and pictures. I can imagine the amount of time it took. Congratulations, you should be quite proud of this achievement.  

Absolutely stunning in this scale :wub:, congratulations for the collaboration! :thumbup:

Great story and the best model I have ever seen at this scale! HoF-worthy imo.

Awesome little model! Very well thought out, great presentation with the box and instructions and superb functions for this scale. Shows that you don't need 4000 parts to build a working crane... HOF indeed!

I wish i had time to comment on every MOC post.  Reality is, no one does. Still, i try to comment when i can and when something really stands out. Which this build does. 

I love the compactness, its functionality, really, i love everything about it. Something i would like to own.  

Edited by nerdsforprez

Amazing work! Truly awesome! 
I love the mechanism of the legs. It's so compact.. Definetly HoF worthy! 
I'd love to get my hands on some instructions! 

Edited by Mechbuilds

Amazing model! While I don't really like smallest LEGO models (simply because they lack features) I like your MOC a lot. It is jam-packed with functions. Feels like every piece used here has its functional purpose.

12 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Shows that you don't need 4000 parts to build a working crane... HOF indeed!

Exactly. And LEGO is releasing its new 42082 with same functionality consisting of 10x the number of parts.

Limited parts unlimited idea.you are right,lego official set is so expensive and so big, but just with several functions.

It seems to they prefer to use many cheap components make it bigger , but stingy with PF parts.

WHY PF parts so expensive? it is just a 130 motor with a plastic casing.

On 7/8/2018 at 8:19 AM, Didumos69 said:

HoF-worthy imo.

23 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

HOF indeed!

14 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Definetly HoF worthy! 

On 7/8/2018 at 7:26 AM, agrof said:

Absolutely stunning in this scale

18 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Something i would like to own.

I'm amazed that you mention HOF. I thought this was just a small crane that cost me the same time as a much bigger MOC. Anyway, if you really want it up there, then please submit it to the separate HOF Discussion Topic for submitting your wanted HOF models. I feel honored by all positive remarks. 

4 hours ago, 896gerard said:

Anyway, if you really want it up there, then please submit it to the separate HOF Discussion Topic for submitting your wanted HOF models. I feel honored by all positive remarks. 

Already did that :wink:.

And I think it is actually BECAUSE it is "just" a small crane that cost you the same time as a much bigger MOC that you are getting all the praise. Anyone who has tried building in that compact scale knows how hard it is to make something that is functional and strong compared to bigger MOCs.

Absolutely incredible! It’s fantastic how you fit all these functions in this small package and how well the model looks in comparison to the real crane. Master work!

What a fascinating machine and a great MOC with lots of playability! A shame only the lucky few will be able to get/build this. Your MOC proves indeed dat bigger is not necessarily better and that it is possible to have fascinating, realistic and challenging builds with just a few hundred pieces of Lego Yechnic. I hope Lego will one day introduce a 16+ Lego Technic lineup with small and large(r) complex functional models like yours with old style instructions ...

11 hours ago, jrx said:

Master work!

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

A shame only the lucky few will be able to get/build this

Apart from building a set, I have also done some set production by now. This means drawing a complete 3D model, creating building instructions with LPub, ordering all the parts. If you look at the outtriggers, you can see that the 3x3 thin red liftarm is used 8 times, while it is rare on Bricklink. So if you go to Bricklink now, you can see it has become much rarer. That is just because of this set...

The Lego Group doesn't have to order parts everywhere which makes set production cheaper. I reckon they would sell this set for €49,99. This price is based on sets with a similar part count. I really would like to see this converted into a real Lego Technic set, but the fan base on Lego Ideas is not that great for Technic models (and the model is only to by bought by the company of course... ). I really would like to know how TLG building instructions would look like regarding the extending boom mechanism. I found it really hard to instruct how to do it. I'm still looking after a building instructions tool that supports rope in all shapes. 

This is really a great model. I like the design and I like how it works.

I also like the idea of the company to give this model as a present, I think this is a very original present.

How many models did you make?

My compliments :classic:

2 hours ago, mpj said:

This is really a great model. I like the design and I like how it works.

I also like the idea of the company to give this model as a present, I think this is a very original present.

How many models did you make?

Thanks. The first production run is 50 sets which have been given away already. The second run is 2 to 4 times larger. I have to redesign the MOC slightly to make parts ordering easier and cheaper. I understand some choices from inside Lego Technic sets now (about not having too many colors of the same part inside a set). However, in this crane, some parts have different colors in a low number. That makes the set more expensive, but it is after all an exclusive set with a production number of only ~200, so it will be rare anyway. Maybe I'm going to use yellow parts for a crane to see how it works out. I myself have built the same crane around 5 times... I think know it almost by heart now. 

Amazing!  I love this MOC.  The functions and build quality, such a compact model are outstanding.  I'm glad that this is getting the nominations for HoF, it's exactly what technic should be about ... every piece being functional, with little to no pieces being included for appearance alone.

I bow to your skill ... :thumbup:

On 7/12/2018 at 10:40 AM, 896gerard said:

Thanks! 

Apart from building a set, I have also done some set production by now. This means drawing a complete 3D model, creating building instructions with LPub, ordering all the parts. If you look at the outtriggers, you can see that the 3x3 thin red liftarm is used 8 times, while it is rare on Bricklink. So if you go to Bricklink now, you can see it has become much rarer. That is just because of this set...

The Lego Group doesn't have to order parts everywhere which makes set production cheaper. I reckon they would sell this set for €49,99. This price is based on sets with a similar part count. I really would like to see this converted into a real Lego Technic set, but the fan base on Lego Ideas is not that great for Technic models (and the model is only to by bought by the company of course... ). I really would like to know how TLG building instructions would look like regarding the extending boom mechanism. I found it really hard to instruct how to do it. I'm still looking after a building instructions tool that supports rope in all shapes. 

Great little creation :wink:

I use LDCAD for my digital modeling. It is amazingly well suited for handling flexible elements (ropes, pneumatic hoses, flexaxles, chains, electric wires, rubberbands, springs, etc. etc.). The whole package has a bit of a steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it you'll never go back. It is based around the LDRAW core, so you can just import your LDRAW models.

12 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I use LDCAD for my digital modeling. It is amazingly well suited for handling flexible elements (ropes, pneumatic hoses, flexaxles, chains, electric wires, rubberbands, springs, etc. etc.). The whole package has a bit of a steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it you'll never go back.

I also use LDCAD and have experimented with drawing ropes etc. I agree with you on the learning curve. I was at a point where I just stopped to build digital as the invested time was too much. Seems like I need a little more practice.. 

On 7/13/2018 at 11:25 PM, 896gerard said:

I also use LDCAD and have experimented with drawing ropes etc. I agree with you on the learning curve. I was at a point where I just stopped to build digital as the invested time was too much. Seems like I need a little more practice.. 

I use LDCad as well for some time now and as Jeroen says, I do not want to go back to anything else. What really helped getting me started were the tutorial movies on Youtube by Roland Melkert himself, especially those on flexible parts editing. Just copy-build the stuff he does to figure out how it works, and after a few tries it will feel natural. It is really worth the effort in the end!

Very nice creation, I have build it myself from your video and pictures:

43451271441_415d9ef63c_c.jpg

I have changed few things - winch for hook ( I didn't liked that 16t gear floating on 3l pin), winch for 2nd section of the boom - I was not able to get it working when the thread is winded on axle only, it slips all the time.

28564759577_1b9c5ebb8d_c.jpg

29580597558_dcda8d26bd_c.jpg

I like outridges most, really clever geometry